Current Affairs Revision Classes + Answer Writing For Mains 2019 
the one class you can bank upon to ace Mains 2019
Don't just believe what we say, your first class is on us. Attend by registering HERE
STARTS 24th June | 5 PM

Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

IMPORTANT : Moving Prelims Related Discussion to new platform - Quest

edited February 19 in Social, Tips & Support
Dear Members,

Keeping in mind the amount of Spam being generated in the Forum, and the distractions for Prelims Students. We are moving all Prelims / Exam Form Filling Discussions henceforth to the new Platform - http://quest.forumias.com

The new platform is based on Mobile Number verification, and as of now, will only be used for Prelims and Exam Form Filling Related Information. It will not be used for any other discussion including buying selling, coaching review, State PCS discussion which may be distractionary in nature for candidates preparing for the Prelims.

By March 20th, we all our platforms will be migrated to a mobile number verified one, so as to bring back some decency in the Forum.

Regarding Usernames of old members.

As of now, on signing up / registering you will be assigned a temporary Username based on your email address. However you can change it anytime by visiting your ForumIAS Single Sign on Profile Page. This is available at http://one.forumias.com

Once you change your Username ( Display Name ) , you will be required to keep it for at least 60 days.

Old Members who would like to have their Username for example @DrKingSchultz or @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh on the new platform, must register / login in the new platform . They will have the option of updating and making the first claim to their username on ForumIAS.

What happens in case your Username has been taken by someone else on Quest.forumias.com ?

If you are a member of ForumIAS ( discuss.forumias.com ) you will have the first right to your old username. In case your are unable to register your Username as someone else has taken it, you will still have first claim to it till June 1, 2019.

Those members whose Usernames are usurped by someone else on the new platform, can also send PM to root on this platform from their current Account stating their email address in the new platform and within 72 hours will be granted their old Username. People who have taken their usernames, will be provided with an alternate Username.

You can reply to this thread and while we will read each of these comments, we will be able to address only a limited number of them,
root

Comments

• thanks rooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot !!!
  • mazzzzzzzzzaich aa gaya !!
  • Much needed move.
    Thanks root.
    Mains -2015,16,17
    Interview -2016, 17
    Rank - None

• Thank you root. Quest is much better than the current version and I'm sure everyone will love it.

Will this forum continue to exist or be deleted?
  • This was a much needed change to the platform, that people had been asking for. I hope you maintain some level of sanity and moderation on the new platform.
    Do not inbox meh |
  • @root i will suggest to not delete this discussion page... many important pieces of information are available here ...
  • This Forum represents a generation.

It will
    Never be deleted.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • edited February 19
    all discussions will be archived , and some important ones hotlinked too on quest platform. refer : http://quest.forumias.com
    HUSTLE
  • edited February 19
    Finally. @zohanmukharjee
    Thanks @root . Looking forward for the return of old glory on forum.
    Reshami si maaya thi,
    Aur main takta jaata tha.
  • It shall put an end to ruckus created by few miscreants ! Hope to see change making positive impact on the community and lack of dignity in the comments will be a thing of the past. Kudos team Forumias.
    रहो धर्म में धीर, रहो कर्म में वीर
    रखो उन्नत शिर,डरो ना |

अलविदा Forum. It was a privilege to be here.
  • Do you want to submit another application form - yes
    id somthing went wrong and you fill again...is it what the purpose of this question in form
  • @root Why are you registering us with ForumIAS Academy? Why giving us roll numbers ? Later I suppose you people will ask us to fill UPSC roll numbers as well ?
    रखो उन्नत शिर,डरो ना |

• Thank you root. :smile:
    Human choice is a complicated affair; cognitive biases:framing effects:Mental models:heuristics;
    Winter is Here.
  • how to change my user name in the new platform?
    https://viharastudyhall.com
    ComeStudyConQuer aspirantsabode@viharastudyhall.com
  • root said:

Dear Members,

Keeping in mind the amount of Spam being generated in the Forum, and the distractions for Prelims Students. We are moving all Prelims / Exam Form Filling Discussions henceforth to the new Platform - http://quest.forumias.com

The new platform is based on Mobile Number verification, and as of now, will only be used for Prelims and Exam Form Filling Related Information. It will not be used for any other discussion including buying selling, coaching review, State PCS discussion which may be distractionary in nature for candidates preparing for the Prelims.

By March 20th, we all our platforms will be migrated to a mobile number verified one, so as to bring back some decency in the Forum.

Regarding Usernames of old members.

As of now, on signing up / registering you will be assigned a temporary Username based on your email address. However you can change it anytime by visiting your ForumIAS Single Sign on Profile Page. This is available at http://one.forumias.com

Once you change your Username ( Display Name ) , you will be required to keep it for at least 60 days.

Old Members who would like to have their Username for example @DrKingSchultz or @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh on the new platform, must register / login in the new platform . They will have the option of updating and making the first claim to their username on ForumIAS.

What happens in case your Username has been taken by someone else on Quest.forumias.com ?

If you are a member of ForumIAS ( discuss.forumias.com ) you will have the first right to your old username. In case your are unable to register your Username as someone else has taken it, you will still have first claim to it till June 1, 2019.

Those members whose Usernames are usurped by someone else on the new platform, can also send PM to root on this platform from their current Account stating their email address in the new platform and within 72 hours will be granted their old Username. People who have taken their usernames, will be provided with an alternate Username.

You can reply to this thread and while we will read each of these comments, we will be able to address only a limited number of them,

Username and registered mail id differ in both platforms.. is there any way to link them?
    https://viharastudyhall.com
    ComeStudyConQuer aspirantsabode@viharastudyhall.com
  • Help! Can login on academy.forumias but can't login on quest.forumias.
  • @root Why are you registering us with ForumIAS Academy? Why giving us roll numbers ? Later I suppose you people will ask us to fill UPSC roll numbers as well ?

aisa ho raha hai to galat hai :(

academy se kyu jora ja raha hai :neutral:
  • edited February 20
    zerowatt said:

@root Why are you registering us with ForumIAS Academy? Why giving us roll numbers ? Later I suppose you people will ask us to fill UPSC roll numbers as well ?

academy is a profit oriented organisation.

and

discussion (or quest ) is (i hope), a self-sustaining, free from almost all biases ( should be) ,and a not-for-profit, organisation.
  • zerowatt said:

zerowatt said:

@root Why are you registering us with ForumIAS Academy? Why giving us roll numbers ? Later I suppose you people will ask us to fill UPSC roll numbers as well ?

and

discussion (or quest ) is (i hope), a self-sustaining, free from almost all biases ( should be) ,and a not-for-profit, organisation.
    No replies from @root or @Neyawn. They can throw some light on this.
    रखो उन्नत शिर,डरो ना |

• edited February 20

zerowatt said:

zerowatt said:

and

i could try ? ,
    see the number verification system is complex and requires an infrastructure , so i assume as academy infra was already there it is used for authentication.

so now comes the topic of privacy , believe me i am the biggest proponent of more privacy at forum , and this issue was thoroughly discussed , and i was assured that data at quest and forum academy will be segregated .

we must understand that mobile verification is a must for a smoother forum ( and in demand from ages! ) . This is the best I know , rest @root could clarify and make official .
    HUSTLE
  • Hello,

We are working on Data Segregation. This means few things. Three Data Points are very important

One, Real Name
    Two, Mobile Number
    Three, Email

All this data will be hosted on https://one.forumias.com

Now, here are the concerns.

(1) Academy should not have access to Mobile Numbers / Data of Community Users
    (2) Community Mods and Admins should not have access to Email/ Mobile / Real Name of Any User. So women may feel safe that their numbers will not be misused under any circumstance.
    (3) Academy should have Name, Email, Mobile of Users who participate in any Free or Paid event / Test etc Academy.
    (4) While maintaining privacy, there must also be convenience of using the multiple platforms, usually by one Click.

Solution

(a) One Singe Server that hosts data . When Quest / Community User wants to login, he can be authenticated via the Centralised Authentication System that will only pass on the Username
    (b) When Academy user wants to login, he should be authenticated by the CAS, and his Real Name, Email and Mobile will be authenticated and passed on to Academy.
    (c) Users across the ForumIAS Ecosystem will have the option of using their real names or their display name / Username in both Academy as well as Quest.

Lastly, We will provide a robust communication preference to All Users, where they can exactly choose the type of communication they want to receive.
    root
  • zerowatt said:

zerowatt said:

and

i could try ? ,
    see the number verification system is complex and requires an infrastructure , so i assume as academy infra was already there it is used for authentication.

so now comes the topic of privacy , believe me i am the biggest proponent of more privacy at forum , and this issue was thoroughly discussed , and i was assured that data at quest and forum academy will be segregated .

we must understand that mobile verification is a must for a smoother forum ( and in demand from ages! ) . This is the best I know , rest @root could clarify and make official .
    Well bro, I don't mind about privacy thing, whatever I do on forum is genuine, I contribute responsibly, so even if someone has my number or name, not a problem. My only concern was if forum database is accessible to platform like ForumIAS Academy, which is commercial wing then it doesn't sound good. That's it I think I made my point and root has also responded about data segregation, so I believe they will make sure that data is not being misused by academy.
    रखो उन्नत शिर,डरो ना |

• zerowatt said:

zerowatt said:

and

i could try ? ,

Well bro, I don't mind about privacy thing, whatever I do on forum is genuine, I contribute responsibly, so even if someone has my number or name, not a problem. My only concern was if forum database is accessible to platform like ForumIAS Academy, which is commercial wing then it doesn't sound good. That's it I think I made my point and root has also responded about data segregation, so I believe they will make sure that data is not being misused by academy.
    i think most points are cleared by root in post above
    HUSTLE
  • zerowatt said:

zerowatt said:

and

i could try ? ,

Hope they don't have any hidden agenda. Only time can tell.
    रखो उन्नत शिर,डरो ना |

• Acha kiya. Now i will do less timepass on forum
    36 ka aankda with upsc
  • Thanks a lot @root .. this was much needed.
    This new forum I hope gets the old glory of 2013-16 back.
    Random processes produce many sequences that convince people that the process is not random after all.
  • zerowatt said:

zerowatt said:

and

i could try ? ,

Bhai 50 sms ate hai mail pe and sms pe. Vision is the most habitual offender of spamming. Sala 3sal pehle test series join kia tha aj tk roz sms mail ate hai, aj op chaudhary ayenge naxalism discuss krne, ye batch vo batch , air 1 ayenge ganne k khet dikhane. Bla bla.
    Thoda bhaut agar forum promotional mail ya sms krta hai toh we can take it as an commercial information rather than spamming/ privacy infringement/"that's not I signed up for".
    Forum gives a lot without taking any money from us. A little self advertisement through sms or email could be accepted.
    Random processes produce many sequences that convince people that the process is not random after all.
  • zerowatt said:

zerowatt said:

and

i could try ? ,

Hello @yashwardhan_singh Yes, we have had a nightmare thinking of the same, as to the trust or mistrust this move could generate.

Convenience does come at a cost to privacy.

We have for the same reason gone for this data segregation. The only misuse of ulterior motive could be that people not associated with academy may get promotional communication from Academy.

Firstly, as of now, we do not have a known issue of complaints arising out of spamming by ForumIAS.

Second, there are cases where people have complained, including the Current Rank 1 that it is difficult to know the programs of Academy as it is not displayed on ForumIAS. For this reason, we are working on a robust communication preference so that people can choose what type of communication they want to receive.

Rest Assured, it would not make a rational system if we kept separate logins for both Academy and Community, as saving Mobile numbers of Community would not be safe - and it would have created a problem of access of mobile numbers and email by Mods - who are chosen from among members.

We are also planning to launch other services, which will aid people in preparation , and we would not want separate logins for each of them. We are also inclined to believe that even people would not want them.

Lastly, once we have verified profiles by Mobile number, we will not even need to ban members for bad behaviour as the chances of multiple profiles will be eliminated.

root
  • CHANGEZ said:

zerowatt said:

zerowatt said:

and

i could try ? ,

Bhai 50 sms ate hai mail pe and sms pe. Vision is the most habitual offender of spamming. Sala 3sal pehle test series join kia tha aj tk roz sms mail ate hai, aj op chaudhary ayenge naxalism discuss krne, ye batch vo batch , air 1 ayenge ganne k khet dikhane. Bla bla.
    Thoda bhaut agar forum promotional mail ya sms krta hai toh we can take it as an commercial information rather than spamming/ privacy infringement/"that's not I signed up for".
    Forum gives a lot without taking any money from us. A little self advertisement through sms or email could be accepted.
    I am so glad we are having this discussion. In my personal opinion Vision or any coaching such as ForumIAS may not be spamming people because they want to . I think people have not invested the time and resources to segregate the data . I am personally working on a few aspects in the next two months, to ensure that given the decently large 40,000+ Database we have , communication should be chosen by the end User. Just that building such rational systems requires a lot of hard work . Most people adopt the easy approach - SMS or email everyone. Sometimes that is also because you do not have adequate technology or have built relevant tools to do it. In the next two months, hopefully , we will be able to built relevant tools that will make ForumIAS more responsible in terms of how it treats its users.

It may not be perfect, nor meet exact user expectation, but it will be much ahead of what we have right now.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Neyawn said:

CHANGEZ said:

zerowatt said:

zerowatt said:

and

i could try ? ,

I am so glad we are having this discussion. In my personal opinion Vision or any coaching such as ForumIAS may not be spamming people because they want to . I think people have not invested the time and resources to segregate the data . I am personally working on a few aspects in the next two months, to ensure that given the decently large 40,000+ Database we have , communication should be chosen by the end User. Just that building such rational systems requires a lot of hard work . Most people adopt the easy approach - SMS or email everyone. Sometimes that is also because you do not have adequate technology or have built relevant tools to do it. In the next two months, hopefully , we will be able to built relevant tools that will make ForumIAS more responsible in terms of how it treats its users.

It may not be perfect, nor meet exact user expectation, but it will be much ahead of what we have right now.
    Thanks @Neyawn . More power to you and team.
    My 2 cent for such rational system: General behavior is that when we're asked about communication mails/sms during sign up, we often uncheck all the options. This is because of our experience that often the quality of such mails is of low standard and very frequent. But take for example world bank or medium.com communication. Their frequency is less but standards are high. And even then if you don't like it you always have an option to unsubscribe.
    Consumer/ aspirant &well wisher in forum's case may not be entirely sure at the beginning whether it would be just promotion or some useful information.
    Like if I uncheck everything and miss email about NEYAWN blog, it would be a big loss in my preparation. Kya karenge aisi privacy ka :neutral:
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly