Kimberley Process Intersessional Meeting 2019 in Mumbai SVEEP Nodal Officers from across the country meet to deliberate upon the blueprint for the next five years Cross-border data movement under new law may be allowed on basis of reciprocity: Prasad Cabinet approves New Delhi International Arbitration Centre Bill,2019 Trade deficit widens to $15.36 bn in May
ANSWER WRITING GROUP (AWG) 2019
ForumIAS AWG 2019 Entrance Exam will be held on 8th June | 9 AM.   CLICK HERE to know more and apply.
Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Reviews | How useful is an iPad for IAS / UPSC Preparation?

edited October 2018 in Tools & Technology
During this amazon/flipkart sale, i am thinking to buy iPad. I want to ask people those who use iPad for preparation, whether it is worth the money from only preparation point of view. Main purpose will be revising Evernote notes, pdf and other multimedia.

Comments

• It can be beneficial for reading newspaper editorials, reports and making online notes on the Evernote.
  • hunkaar said:

It can be beneficial for reading newspaper editorials, reports and making online notes on the Evernote.

Thanks. Any drawbacks of using iOS?
  • To use it of full potential, you should buy Apple Pencil also.
    I use ipad for preparation, and notability app for note making
    One big benefit u dont have to print pdfs ... just use pencil to underline ,highlight or make notes there itself
    Drawback of ipad - its costly
    Aj gumnam hu toh fasla rakh mujse ... kal fir mashhur ho jau to koi rishta nikal lena ...!
  • A few things to consider:
    1. Can you read on the digital screen for a long period of time?
    2. Can you live with the feel of being away from the paper ?

Now which iPad to buy:
    1. get the one which supports the apple pencil
    2. based on your budget and preference get an ipad which atleast has 128gb in case of 9.7model or the 256gb ipad pros(12.9 or 10.5)
    3. Do not buy the lte+wifi version as all our phones now support wifi hotspot, so spending an extra 8-10k is not feasible.
    4. do not put a screen guard on your ipad as it will unnecessarily strain your eyes and give you a headache, basically do not baby your ipad

Use of ipad:
    1. it gives you power of accessing and integrating all your notes at one place. Better notes management.
    2. integrating current notes with static parts is one of the best features. eg. you made a note in ipad from ncert now you read an article on the web, so its easy to have everything at one place rather than separate sheets of paper.
    3. copying diagrams, tables and other schematics into notes is much easier
    4. if you are someone who has to travel to another city for writing mains ipad certainly serves as a saviour in preventing the logistical hassle to carry notes and books
    5. taking printouts if you need is easier
    6. eco friendly :P

apps:
    2. I personally use goodnotes, but you have option of either using goodnotes or notability(both you have to purchase and do not come for free), these two apps are far better than evernote if you intend to write down your notes by hand rather than typing them.
    3. a choice between notability or goodnotes is again personal preference, both have their pros and cons
    4. the safari browser enables you to convert any article on web into a pdf, which can be saved for reference at later use. I personally used this extensively to collect and later on compile information from various sources.
    5. you can also convert your notes into pdfs and send them across to your all other devices
    6. the best part for me was being able to write my tests on it. As it did save me a lot of time usually spent in printing and scanning the test copies if you take the online course.

the bottom line(personal opinion)
    3. get the ipad pro, it has a better processor and will enable faster and lag free experience, as these note taking apps use significant resources.
    4. get the 256gb, even 64gb would probably do but over time lag and hang events may be possible, so just for future proofing
    5. a 12.9" ipad completely serves as an a4 sheet, better ease of taking notes. But this is no deal breaker.

ios"
    1. you will not be able to freely transfer files between ipad and computer like we do it in android. everything has to go through itunes

besides there is no other drawback, ipad will certainly help you in better organising your study material and retrieving it as per need. The only caution: do not spend time on it watching movies and shows ;)
    कर्मवीर को फर्क न पड़ता किसी जीत या हार का |
  • I too planning to buy, plz tell me its worth for 26k wala edition?
  • A few things to consider:

Now which iPad to buy:
    2. based on your budget and preference get an ipad which atleast has 128gb in case of 9.7model or the 256gb ipad pros(12.9 or 10.5)
    3. Do not buy the lte+wifi version as all our phones now support wifi hotspot, so spending an extra 8-10k is not feasible.
    4. do not put a screen guard on your ipad as it will unnecessarily strain your eyes and give you a headache, basically do not baby your ipad

Use of ipad:
    1. it gives you power of accessing and integrating all your notes at one place. Better notes management.
    2. integrating current notes with static parts is one of the best features. eg. you made a note in ipad from ncert now you read an article on the web, so its easy to have everything at one place rather than separate sheets of paper.
    4. if you are someone who has to travel to another city for writing mains ipad certainly serves as a saviour in preventing the logistical hassle to carry notes and books

apps:
    2. I personally use goodnotes, but you have option of either using goodnotes or notability(both you have to purchase and do not come for free), these two apps are far better than evernote if you intend to write down your notes by hand rather than typing them.
    3. a choice between notability or goodnotes is again personal preference, both have their pros and cons
    4. the safari browser enables you to convert any article on web into a pdf, which can be saved for reference at later use. I personally used this extensively to collect and later on compile information from various sources.
    5. you can also convert your notes into pdfs and send them across to your all other devices
    6. the best part for me was being able to write my tests on it. As it did save me a lot of time usually spent in printing and scanning the test copies if you take the online course.

3. get the ipad pro, it has a better processor and will enable faster and lag free experience, as these note taking apps use significant resources.
    4. get the 256gb, even 64gb would probably do but over time lag and hang events may be possible, so just for future proofing
    5. a 12.9" ipad completely serves as an a4 sheet, better ease of taking notes. But this is no deal breaker.

ios"
    1. you will not be able to freely transfer files between ipad and computer like we do it in android. everything has to go through itunes

besides there is no other drawback, ipad will certainly help you in better organising your study material and retrieving it as per need. The only caution: do not spend time on it watching movies and shows ;)

Thanks you gave a brilliant pros and cons list. I don't have a budget to buy iPad pro, I will buy iPad 9.7" version if it comes within my budget during the sale.

Two doubts
    1. What do you mean screen guard gives additional strain to eyes? I thought it will protect the screen.
    2. How did you write tests on ipad?
  • edited October 2018
    om1135 said:

To use it of full potential, you should buy Apple Pencil also.
    I use ipad for preparation, and notability app for note making
    One big benefit u dont have to print pdfs ... just use pencil to underline ,highlight or make notes there itself
    Drawback of ipad - its costly

But it is very costly though, its almost 1/3rd the price of ipad.
  • Dorjay123 said:

I too planning to buy, plz tell me its worth for 26k wala edition?

Not really to be very honest. You may experience issues after sometime of extensive usage if you are using it solely for note taking and other purposes.
  • newkid said:

A few things to consider:

Now which iPad to buy:

Use of ipad:

apps:

ios"

Thanks you gave a brilliant pros and cons list. I don't have a budget to buy iPad pro, I will buy iPad 9.7" version if it comes within my budget during the sale.

Two doubts
    1. What do you mean screen guard gives additional strain to eyes? I thought it will protect the screen.
    Super! But do buy the pencil as well to use it to max potential, as someone here already mentioned it.
    1. It will protect the screen, but a glass screen guard usually leads to rainbowing effect on the screen especially on white backgrounds.and the plastic ones reduce the visibility and clarity to an extent which matters if you intend to use the ipad for ling periods of time.
    2. The coaching centres upload pdf of the qca on their sites, download them on any of the two apps mentioned above. Write the tests using apple pencil, save the file as pdf and email it back to them. Voila!
  • Alternatively one can also look at the samsung tab and see if it meets your requirements. I am not aware of any as good good as notability or goodnotes type note taking apps in the android ecosystem, although an app named squid can do the job ok.
  • newkid said:

Now which iPad to buy:

Use of ipad:

apps:

ios"

Two doubts
    Super! But do buy the pencil as well to use it to max potential, as someone here already mentioned it.
    1. It will protect the screen, but a glass screen guard usually leads to rainbowing effect on the screen especially on white backgrounds.and the plastic ones reduce the visibility and clarity to an extent which matters if you intend to use the ipad for ling periods of time.
    2. The coaching centres upload pdf of the qca on their sites, download them on any of the two apps mentioned above. Write the tests using apple pencil, save the file as pdf and email it back to them. Voila!
    Just curious, wouldn't it be a lot different to write answers on digital screen, since we have to write on physical sheets.
  • For note making in Evernote/onenote
    Reading and highlighting pdf
    Good

For writing answers
    Bad idea

I’m using 9.7 since 3 months
    It’s serving its purpose very well

I’ll definitely recommend switching to enotes
    Saves time
  • aiber said:

For note making in Evernote/onenote
    Reading and highlighting pdf
    Good

For writing answers
    Bad idea

I’m using 9.7 since 3 months
    It’s serving its purpose very well

I’ll definitely recommend switching to enotes
    Saves time

Is it the new 26k version? Does it work well or does it hangs in between while studying?
  • newkid said:

newkid said:

Now which iPad to buy:

Use of ipad:

apps:

ios"

Two doubts
    Just curious, wouldn't it be a lot different to write answers on digital screen, since we have to write on physical sheets.
    Will it be different? Yes. Will it be drastically different? No. To counter this you can write a few tests in physical format as well, as that too is important to decide on pen you choose
    It would save a lot of time though which you probably would end up in scanning and printing the sheets.
  • Do you have to put tempered glass? How's the screen response with apple pencil on tempered glass compared to without it?
  • Don't!!! I repeat don't put tempered glass and other screen protectors. They just kill the experience and give a headache over long periods of use. Specifically the glass ones leads to colour distortion and rainbow effect
  • Don't!!! I repeat don't put tempered glass and other screen protectors. They just kill the experience and give a headache over long periods of use. Specifically the glass ones leads to colour distortion and rainbow effect

But without tempered glass, it would be prone to scratches.
  • What about brands other than apple.
    Lenovo tab4 10 has same specifications as 9.7 wala ipad . Can anyone provide review on this.
  • Mabh said:

What about brands other than apple.
    Lenovo tab4 10 has same specifications as 9.7 wala ipad . Can anyone provide review on this.

Its ram is 2gb. IMO, android devices don't perform good at this ram. My old phone continuously hangs doing multitasking
  • viktor said:

Don't!!! I repeat don't put tempered glass and other screen protectors. They just kill the experience and give a headache over long periods of use. Specifically the glass ones leads to colour distortion and rainbow effect

@AspirantAnonymous I also have the same doubt.
  • Which one is the cheapest ipad with pencil?
    In times of universal deceit,telling the truth is a revolutionary act!
  • Which one is the cheapest ipad with pencil?

iPad 9.7" 6th generation 32gb wifi version.

You will get it at 21k in the sale but it doesn't come with an apple pencil. The pencil costs around 7.5k on amazon & flipkart.
  • If possible always buy iPad with higher than 32 gb internal memory.
  • newkid said:

Which one is the cheapest ipad with pencil?

iPad 9.7" 6th generation 32gb wifi version.

You will get it at 21k in the sale but it doesn't come with an apple pencil. The pencil costs around 7.5k on amazon & flipkart.
    Thanks newkid...
    In times of universal deceit,telling the truth is a revolutionary act!
  • newkid said:

viktor said:

Don't!!! I repeat don't put tempered glass and other screen protectors. They just kill the experience and give a headache over long periods of use. Specifically the glass ones leads to colour distortion and rainbow effect

@AspirantAnonymous I also have the same doubt.
    I also used to think the same, and ended up wasting around 1k on that. But, The main reason you are buying iPad is to aid in your studies. Do not baby it. And the screens are quite resistant, just clean it every3rd day, you ll be fine. I have extensively used my ipad but so far(over 7monthsnow)it has held up well, no scratches. I also tried glass and plastic screen protectors and trust me they are just nuisance. It makes sense to put when you intend to travel alot in varying environmental conditions. Just get a minimal cover from amazon, it should be around 400, and you'll be fine. And yes, do not get the minimum storage ipad, if you plan to use it extensively. It will do the job if its only for light article reading and stuff but not when you are writing and storing notes on it.
    Also I would strongly recommend that you go to a store if you have one in your city and experience the ipad for urself, see if you are comfortable with it.
    Also from the apple site note down the serial/model number of the new ipad you intend to purchase. Because mostly in online sales people just see the price and buy, assuming it to be a newer model. I personally know people who have done this. Besides ipad model numbers are somewhat confusing. So be super sure of what you're buying.
  • Dead Man said:

If possible always buy iPad with higher than 32 gb internal memory.

Totally in agreement with this.
  • edited October 2018
    I am using iPad Pro (10.5'', 128GB) and it's a go to deal if you are a working professional looking to sneak out time to study in/out of office or on way. The Pencil makes the experience even better and you can do away with papers and hardcopy of test series. Notability is a good app that brings the writing experience closest to pen and paper but of course not quite there as friction is missing. Nonetheless, a good option to opt for. Opt for 64gb or higher. Keep the iPad simple and academic, you will love to use it over and over during the day. :) A satisfied user.

PS: if you are investing amount then make sure of the variant you are buying. Later on don't feel that you should have taken the larger size or other variant. Go to outlets and try using the models on display, then buy.
    When enough people make false promises, words cease to have meaning. -Jon Snow
  • this is quite a helpful thread. especially the part about screen guards
    An act of stealth, a silent coup d'état
  • edited October 2018
    https://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/comment/1487474/#Comment_1487474

Read my post at the end of this article.

I would suggest you to buy something having windows. Avoid iOS. It severely restricts you and locks you into an ecosystem which you cannot easily exit. And an ecosystem that will extract a lot of money from you.

There are Lenovo laptop/tablets which also provide pen support. Though they might be slightly expensive. But I would still prefer them over iOS.
    Simple hai. You won't find as many softwares on iOS which you can find on Windows in .exe files. You can attach a mouse in Windows, not in iOS. There is no USB support in iOS devices, windows devices will mostly have USB support.

I have been an iPhone user, a MacBook user and am currently using ipad Air 2. iOS is not better than windows. It is very restrictive.

It's just that Apple products have an altogether different premium feel to them. But these days even non Apple devices are getting that quality. For instance, I think, Dell XPS 13 was similar to MacBook in appearance.

PS. iOS 12 has now sorted the lag problem in Apple devices after apple had to face a lot of criticism over planned obsolescing.
  • Microsoft surface pro. Best if you have money. Best alternative for iPad.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google