We are hiring!

Post DAF related Queries : CSM 2017

Comments

• Queen said:

Hey can someone tell me how is rail-fanning as a hobby, I can defend it in interview.
    I really like trains. Can i mention it.

They will ask, 'Why didnt you join Railways then? Why Ias?' :tongue:
    Anyone can write any hobby as long as you are able to answer questions on it. Specially questions on how that hobby will help you as an officer.
    Big thanks.

• I too don't have any hobby.listening to music, watching movies pasand hain.daal doon?

Bhailog kabhi to reply karo
    Music and movies are very vast subject and can open up 1000's of curious questions. If these are your artificial (DAF) hobbies then close down the range like scifi/ thriller or Hindustani classical / western rock etc etc. Then do thorough research on them after mains.
    Btw an old thread on hobbies was there last year. Find out what people with no hobbies finally settled for.
    Cheers.
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
  • I like thinking in my dreams ....for that,I sleep 10+ hrs a day.Can that be a hobby :D

On a serious note, I have an engineering degree and PhD in English Literature, and work ex in consultancy. If I mention creative writing as my hobby, would they go deep into literature syllabus? Wouldn't that highlight literature field from my DAF?I want minimal questions from my masters.

Otherwise cricket and sudoku to zindabad hai,thee or rahenge :p
    Thank you.
  • Sparrowin said:

I just left my job in Feb 2016. Did not resign. Unauthorised absence. I was appointed through state PSC. Haven't drawn any Salary. Worked just for 2 months. Since then they have sent me a letter but I did not reply. Now in UPSC mains form, UPSC will ask for a letter that I have informed my deptt or not. What to do? Should I send them letter by post? Or just leave the work exp column blank?

Bro did you mention that you are employed in the application form? If not then dont worry. And one more thing. UPSC will never ask you to show your undertaking of intimation. But you need relieving letter from your parent dept after selection to join service.
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
  • @Masala_dosa bhai, kuchh specific rakhna. Like a particular genre of music or movies. Aise hi likh doge toh it won't look good.
    Deputy Collector and Sub-Divisional Magistrate - Government of Gujarat.
    Prelims - 6*; Mains - 3; Interviews - 2; Rank - NA.
    "Apna Time Aayega"
  • fakeid said:

Do we need certificate of every achievement we mention in DAF ?

apart from 10th certificate, degree certificate, caste certificate(if applicable) no other certi is needed.
  • I belong to OBC category . My father is a farmer never filed income tax no pan card but own 12 acres unirrigated land of land well within state statutory limit in Tamil nadu. And annual income around 3 lakhs. Have a own house worth 15 lakhs. WHAT R THE DOCUMENTS I NEEED to submit.
  • I truly cannot think of many hobbies. But I used to go by cycle to office and also to school can it be added as hobbies
  • I had joined gov service in last december 2016 through cgl and now I dont want to tell them about my this job...I have to prepare a lot about that which I dont want to..want to play safe...can I avoid writing my experience in that job...my one friend suggested that DAF is only for interview purpose..no harm in avoiding some info if u are capable enough to hide this fact from interviewers during actual interview...
    anybody who knows similar examplw...please share your thoughts...this is really important..
  • I had joined gov service in last december 2016 through cgl and now I dont want to tell them about my this job...I have to prepare a lot about that which I dont want to..want to play safe...can I avoid writing my experience in that job...my one friend suggested that DAF is only for interview purpose..no harm in avoiding some info if u are capable enough to hide this fact from interviewers during actual interview...
    anybody who knows similar examplw...please share your thoughts...this is really important..

I dont think it will be right to hide a government job. You have enough time after mains to prepare whatever is required for interview. Dont risk it.
    "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you"
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • sriV2 said:

I truly cannot think of many hobbies. But I used to go by cycle to office and also to school can it be added as hobbies

you can write cycling.
    but you have to be ready for ques. on tour de france, rampant highly systematic doping in cycling, types of races, famous players - froom, contador, wiggins, etc., only famous indian female player deborah from andaman, deborah's cycling event, types of cycles ,
    doping que. can lead to doping in other sports and any sunstance/player in news at that time. (like narsingh yadav, recently manpreet kaur etc ) , it can also lead to pollution, climate change. your views on UP govt's decision to scrap cycle lanes. your views on projects like trin trin in mysuru, Gbike in gandhinagar.

you can easily prepare all this after mains. but there are two aspects regarding any hobby. your actual interest and knowledge/awareness related to it.
    information you can gather easily from various sources. but if you are not genuinely interested than chancea are high that you may caught off guard. than it can backfire.

so do think over it sincerely and than decide.
  • I am going to write chess as my hobby.
    There are better starters than me but I'm a strong finisher.
    Usain bolt

bro u need NOC from the office where u r currently employed to give this exam other u have to gave the bond amount which u hv signed while joining training. Also upsc during interview while checking document demand NOC otherwise they make ur candidature provisional and u hv to submit that later. so if u dont mention it be ready to paid bond amount and in case later some issue arises there may be problems. so not mentioning is not a good idea. Rest do as u think better.
  • Pls help, I work in PSU, I want leave for mains. Also I don't want to disclose in my office that I am preparing for upsc. Is it necessary to inform seniors regarding upsc examination. I have never done that before. I keep my preparation confidential. Also suggest ideas for leave.
  • sriV2 said:

I belong to OBC category . My father is a farmer never filed income tax no pan card but own 12 acres unirrigated land of land well within state statutory limit in Tamil nadu. And annual income around 3 lakhs. Have a own house worth 15 lakhs. WHAT R THE DOCUMENTS I NEEED to submit.

Guys plz help

It is against CCS rules..u should inform your office..agar nhi kiya hai to abhi kar do...agar office me Pta chal gya to they may write upsc to cancel your application...moreover u can not hide the fact that u were employed in government as PRAN is generated only once and it is transferred for the new job....
  • sriV2 said:

sriV2 said:

I belong to OBC category . My father is a farmer never filed income tax no pan card but own 12 acres unirrigated land of land well within state statutory limit in Tamil nadu. And annual income around 3 lakhs. Have a own house worth 15 lakhs. WHAT R THE DOCUMENTS I NEEED to submit.

Guys plz help
    @sriV2 Get the OBC N-C certificate from Taluk routed through Village office. The certificate format is available in UPSC website. Download it and fill the OBC -NC application form available in Village office. They will forward it to Taluk or you will have to take it there. Tahsildar or Additional District Magistrate is the person who signs the certificate. Make sure to get it sealed also. That's all you need.

When the DAF comes out, you can fill your land details in the text boxes available in the form. Even if you don't fill - not a problem. Just make sure you get OBC-NC.

Prelims - 4 - 2015, 2016, 2017,2018
    Mains - 2 - 2016, 2017
    Interview -1 - 2017
  • sriV2 said:

sriV2 said:

Guys plz help
    @sriV2 Get the OBC N-C certificate from Taluk routed through Village office. The certificate format is available in UPSC website. Download it and fill the OBC -NC application form available in Village office. They will forward it to Taluk or you will have to take it there. Tahsildar or Additional District Magistrate is the person who signs the certificate. Make sure to get it sealed also. That's all you need.

When the DAF comes out, you can fill your land details in the text boxes available in the form. Even if you don't fill - not a problem. Just make sure you get OBC-NC.

Thanks bro
  • @sriV2 You would need some documentation that proves your caste - like your father's Secondary school leaving certificate or some other certificate that proves your caste along with the land revenue tax receipt of your land holding. Carry your ration card also.
    Prelims - 4 - 2015, 2016, 2017,2018
    Mains - 2 - 2016, 2017
    Interview -1 - 2017
  • zoozoo said:

I had joined gov service in last december 2016 through cgl and now I dont want to tell them about my this job...I have to prepare a lot about that which I dont want to..want to play safe...can I avoid writing my experience in that job...my one friend suggested that DAF is only for interview purpose..no harm in avoiding some info if u are capable enough to hide this fact from interviewers during actual interview...

bro u need NOC from the office where u r currently employed to give this exam other u have to gave the bond amount which u hv signed while joining training. Also upsc during interview while checking document demand NOC otherwise they make ur candidature provisional and u hv to submit that later. so if u dont mention it be ready to paid bond amount and in case later some issue arises there may be problems. so not mentioning is not a good idea. Rest do as u think better.
    no NOC is required..... govt job mein konsa bomd amount? that is only for psu and pvt jobs. You can just intimate your department and keep the receipt with you. Its not about permission but intimation only in ccs rules. And nobody can write without strong grounds to upsc that is if you are chargesheeted ir something
  • Should we fill cadre with less forest cover at lower preference in IFoS?
  • Theon said:

zoozoo said:

I had joined gov service in last december 2016 through cgl and now I dont want to tell them about my this job...I have to prepare a lot about that which I dont want to..want to play safe...can I avoid writing my experience in that job...my one friend suggested that DAF is only for interview purpose..no harm in avoiding some info if u are capable enough to hide this fact from interviewers during actual interview...

no NOC is required..... govt job mein konsa bomd amount? that is only for psu and pvt jobs. You can just intimate your department and keep the receipt with you. Its not about permission but intimation only in ccs rules. And nobody can write without strong grounds to upsc that is if you are chargesheeted ir something
    Can I intimate my deptt by post?
    5th attempt
    Prelims score- 234/116/133/108/?
    Mains score-662/667/782/785
  • yours is a different case since you are not in contact with your office and have not replied to their letter. I would advise you not to do it by post.... Go to your office for one week, give intimation and then abscond
  • Hello everyone.

This is my first attempt at UPSC and thankfully i have cleared prelims, however, I needed advice for my DAF since i am completely new to this.

For a living, I trade the markets (at home) and am a musician + audio engineer.
    I have done my graduation in economics, and am a post graduate in forestry.
    Also have experience of working in a bank in the corporate risk department.

I am worried if my rather haphazard career choices and interests will jeopardize my interview, so i wanted to know if i should mention everything?

Any advice or help would be appreciated.
  • Even I am thinking of putting railfanning as a hobby, where do I put IRTS then? Will it be difficult to justify the hobby in interview. Please help 1st mains!
    @DrKingSchuItz
  • I was not aware of railfannig hobby as of now.
    But ,seeing after some candidates having this hobby.
    I searched on net about railfannig and found this hobby very interesting.
    Kool..
    Usain bolt
  • edited August 2017

Even I am thinking of putting railfanning as a hobby, where do I put IRTS then? Will it be difficult to justify the hobby in interview. Please help 1st mains!
    @DrKingSchuItz

You are asking a very relevant and to the point question.
    If Hobby matches with aims and ambition.
    It conveys a idea that person is really engrossed in that .
    I was asked a question in interview in upsc ..
    If Interested in forces Dan y did you not join shooting range in your college.
    Although , I dint mention about shooting range anywhere.
    But chairmen was aware of shooting range in my college.
    So he tried to relate.
    In the same way dey can ask and relate IRTS preference with your hobby.
    But that doesn't mean if you have this as hobby IRTS must be your first choice.
    The only thing required is justification for everything mentioned.
    Usain bolt
  • Hello everyone.

This is my first attempt at UPSC and thankfully i have cleared prelims, however, I needed advice for my DAF since i am completely new to this.

I am worried if my rather haphazard career choices and interests will jeopardize my interview, so i wanted to know if i should mention everything?

Dey can ask you ..do you want to be D subbarao?

He too was very diversified in academics..
    Relax, diversity is not a problem.it is never
    Usain bolt
  • Usainbolt said:

Hello everyone.

Dey can ask you ..do you want to be D subbarao?

He too was very diversified in academics..
    Relax, diversity is not a problem.it is never

Ok, thanks for the reply @Usainbolt .
    I will probably need to weigh the pro's and con's of each thing.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly