MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Why money bill needs prior recommendation in Lok sabha for its introduction?

Comments

• Because money bill pertains to financial expenditure or levying of taxes, which fall within the functional and policy domain of executive i.e. Government. Therefore prior recommendation of president/government is required. In others words money bill cannot be introduced by private member but only by govt.
    Life is one challenge it!
  • edited June 2015
    Bro can you please state the article of constitution which says so. Laxmikant says pres permission is required but I am not able to find the exact clause in bare act.

Afaik there is no need for permission to introduce a money bill. Even Pvt members can introduce it in ls as art 109 says that money bill cannot be introduced in rs..it does not says who cannot introduce it in ls . But the introducer never says that it is a money bill. The speaker decides whether the bill is money bill under art 110 or not. If its money bill then Rs and pres have limited powers regarding amending and vetoing it.
  • Because it's written in article 110 of constitution
    Jaguar
    Bro I went thru 110. But did not find anything regarding getting recommendations before introducing the money bill.
    Bro I went thru 110. But did not find anything regarding getting recommendations before introducing the money bill.
    Article 117(1) read with article 110 deals with the money bill and the compulsion of prior recommendation of prezident.
    Article 117(1) read with article 110 deals with the money bill and the compulsion of prior recommendation of prezident.
    Thanks @Mycroft. Query Is solved. Means only pres can recommend money bill introduction.
  • Can president withhold assent in money bill?
  • edited June 2015
    @Jyothi Karra Yes. Since, in the meantime (introduction of the bill and passing), due to some changes in government mood, public pressure or more importantly non-feasibility of the Bill, after it being passed by both the houses, president (CoM) can always have final say to pass or withhold assent on the bill.. (U/A 111 first para)

There is another catch, that money bill can not be sent for reconsideration (which is the discretionary power of president) cause : 1) as a money bill, it might be urgent need of the government
    2) since MB is the sole (practically) resposibility of LS, reconsideration by it is akin to reconsideration by CoM, and prior recommendation(of president =CoM ) has already been taken (U/A 117 (1)) so it doesnt make sense to reconsider it.
    3) money bill once passed (though it mostly always pass) will again be paased unless LS feels CoM doesnt enjoy the support of majority..

Hope it helps.
    Not active.
  • I agree the language of question wasnt clear..I meant why money bill needs recommendation from Pres before it is introduced in LS
  • Mycroft said:

Because it's written in article 110 of constitution

IF art 117(1) talks about Money Bill, then what is the Financial Bill(type I) Laxmikanth is talking about ???
    चरैवेति चरैवेति - Johnnie Walker
  • Mycroft said:

Because it's written in article 110 of constitution

It is correct that no where it is specifically mentioned that Money Bill requires prior recommendation of President. However, Money Bill (and finance bills) are subset of Financi-al Bills . And, if Art. 117(1) directs Financial Bill to have prior recommendation of Prez then MB must also adhere to the same principle.
    चरैवेति चरैवेति - Johnnie Walker
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog