MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Mathematics as an optional.

edited March 2013 in Miscellaneous
Hello guys and girls,
I wanted to know the feedback regarding taking maths as an optional.
I may take maths or english literature as my optional.
I have maths as well as english literature background. ( I am a science+arts combo ).
So anyone here with maths as an optional or ur friend or anyone having maths as an optional ?
Please give your opinions/links/suggestions regarding maths.
Its success ratio , coaching, books and all that. Just few guideline may help me a lot
Thank u.

Comments

• Hello.. I am confused between Maths or Philosophy. I have read somewhere that philosophy has the smallest syllabus and Math will take time ; more than 6 months to prepare. It will be helpful if anyone can provide some information regarding it.
  • prakashrajpurohit.wordpress.com/...good blog for maths optional
  • @quatru
    Thank you bro.
  • edited March 2013
    @sheen
    My optional in the new pattern is Maths... I completed the syllabus already...
    I would highly recommend Maths optional, if you used to score 90+% in maths in school level or 80+% in college math...
    coz Civil service math optional paper is very similar to board exams...
    Let me elaborate...
    1) Limited and well defined syllabus...
    2) Heavy repetition from previous papers...
    BUT HONESTLY BOTH ENG LIT AND MATHS OR ANY SUBJECT IF YOU ARE GOOD AT IT IS AN EXCELLENT CHOICE...
    which is your strength/fav???
    option a-math or option b-eng lit

@saan
    Also to answer the query about time taken to prepare...
    even Philosophy takes a year or two to prepare thoroughly and the coaching centers that tell you, you can do it in 2 or 3 months are simply kidding themselves...
    Just mugging up coaching notes and previous papers won't help you score in any subject...
    So the real question is which optional syllabus have you completed the most before starting your preparation, either in college or simply out of interest...???

Taking any subject just because it is easy or scoring is as stupid as many aspirants taking Pub Ad without even knowing the definition of it before attending coaching classes...
    Why should anybody choose a subject they don't know anything about, ignoring the subject they studied all their life JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE WHO NEVER STUDIED OR TOOK IT AS OPTIONAL SAY ITS DIFFICULT...???

NOTE: Sorry, no offence meant to anyone but i was tormented while i was in delhi for GS coaching for taking maths optional and pub ad was constantly shoved in my throat by coaching insti's, co-aspirants even bookshop walas... i just got sick of it...
    TAX ASSISTANT IN CUSTOMS (CGLE 2014)
  • edited March 2013
    @Caartey
    Thanks a million bro. Your elaborated post helped a lot.
    Actually, both maths and eng. literature are the subjects of my liking. Both have same weightage on my liking-scale in my mind. So, this is why I am a bit confused.
    By how much time can we complete maths if 10-12 hours are given daily ? Can it be done without coaching ?
    In my past, I had the habit of calculating all integration , trigo , differentiation and all that for hours at a stretch. Sitting for hours at a stretch for maths is not a problem for me.
    Do you think it can be completed just from reference books? Have you attended coaching for it ? Any online coaching or postal course available for it ?
    I may try my hand on trial basis if you can give me the name of a book.
    By the time I will also check the eng. literature thing.
    Thank you again.
    TC.
  • @sheen
    You missed the point there...
    The bigger question is "are you good at it... ???"

Even i like classics have read 80% of the stuff from Eng Lit syllabus and liked it too...
    But I m not goin to take it as optional coz analyzing 18th century literature can be daunting if done sincerely or funny if done by paraphrasing analysis from books like norton critical editions... and It gives too much room for subjective opinion of the copy checker...

In Maths each question has just one correct answer
    but
    in English lit each copy checker can have their own correct answers...
  • edited March 2013
    @Caartey
    Actually, my tank of questions in my previous post in this thread were regarding maths and not eng. literature (can it be completed....../need coaching/....a book to try my hand/ all that ). I may have presented my questions in a wrong way. I apologize.
    I do agree with you about the subjective opinion in eng. literature. This is the only thing why I am thinking a lot to take it as my optional. Even if I write wonderful 'critical analysis' but if the copy checker does not hold the same opinion then it may create a big blunder. Same uncertainty prevailed during my college exams of eng. literature.
    We never know the 'correctness' of our own question. In eng. literature extreme level of uncertaintly prevails. I have experinced it myself.
    I am feeling more inclined towards maths.
    Can u please give me guidance of maths from the questions I asked u in my previous post.
    Thanks bro. Can't thank u enough for your help.
  • @Caartey is it possible to complete maths syllabus in five six months ?
    Arise awake and stop not until the goal is reached :)
  • edited March 2013
    @crazee
    Depends on how much you know...???
    Like did you do B.Sc Math or M.Sc or B.Tech ??? and where did you do it i mean what was in your syllabus and what was not...??? what %age of civils syllabus you know...???

BTW it took me 2 months...
  • @crazee
    Depends on how much you know...???
    Like did you do B.Sc Math or M.Sc or B.Tech ??? and where did you do it i mean what was in your syllabus and what was not...??? what %age of civils syllabus you know...???

BTW it took me 2 months...
    Did BTech in ICT.. studied linear algebra and calculus but I dont remember much now. So I need to start from scratch
    Arise awake and stop not until the goal is reached :)
  • Best choice for 2013 Main would not be Math...

I suggest you wait till pre,see if you score more than 50% which is generally perceived cut off
    If you did, prepare for different GS related optional coz this year even GS got expanded...
    But after pre if chances for 2013 mains are low then go ahead with Math...
  • @Caartey
    Did you take coaching for maths ?
  • @Caartey
    Did you take coaching for maths ?
  • No
    i just bought the books mentioned in Prakash Rajpurohit's blog and studied myself...
  • edited March 2013
    @Caartey
    Then how you managed to get your doubts / problems solved in some sums / calculations ?
    Do you have solved copies too?
  • Help from Some of my friends who are post graduate students and college professors in my city
    BT Mains optional materials,
    and
    the internet...
  • Thanks @Caartey for replying so fast !.. .. My situation is somewhat similar to sheen. Both the subjects are of my interest. Regrading % in school or collage, I did not scored that much % but still my maths scores were better then other subjects. I did B tech 6 year back so I din remember anything in maths .. not even topics but maths was my fav subject.. .. about Philosophy ... I don't have any prior knowledge in this subject... I just saw the syllabus and last 2 year main paper. I found it interesting ..just wanted to read abt it :-).... I am little scared about taking math as optional as I don't know the difficulty level.. in maths either you are right or wrong :-) .. that is a risk ther .. but it's scoring too ... I am a working professional ... will be able to give 4 hours daily n sat sun. so is it possible to complete the math's syllabus if I start after prelim till main's without coaching? like you said it took you only two months that make me little optimistic. also as of now I am not in touch with any senior or professor who can address my math issues/problems.
  • @Caartey
    In Raj Purohit's blog, he mentions Krishna series book in his booklist.
    Is krishna series a coaching?
    I could not find out that book on flipkart.
  • it is not coaching,it is mathematics book series published by krishna prakashan media ltd..you can buy the books online at jawahar book centre if ur not in delhi..you can also try in local book stores in your city
  • @quatru
    Thanks buddy.
  • Caartey
    I was not bad at MATH --as you say 90+ at 10th. 80+ at 12th, and 75+ in Engineering (though not studied hard at engineering)-- i have forgot everything about Math... people are suggesting to take Pub Ad for huge overlapping with GS.... but Pub ad needs writing skills (!)... in which i am not at all good... so i want to take familiar subjests like MATH... but seniors advised me not to take it saying it a DANGEROUS one (even by some IITians).... I have just started prepartion for CSE... Kindly advice....is it possible to complete the course in 3/4 months?
  • Caartey
    I was not bad at MATH --as you say 90+ at 10th. 80+ at 12th, and 75+ in Engineering (though not studied hard at engineering)-- i have forgot everything about Math... people are suggesting to take Pub Ad for huge overlapping with GS.... but Pub ad needs writing skills (!)... in which i am not at all good... so i want to take familiar subjests like MATH... but seniors advised me not to take it saying it a DANGEROUS one (even by some IITians).... I have just started prepartion for CSE... Kindly advice....is it possible to complete the course in 3/4 months?
    As far as Mathematics is concerned, completing the syllabus is not enough. You need to have the understanding of concepts. At the same time, Mathematics requires consistence practice. If you say that you have completed the syllabus few months back and not doing any practice now, then you would be in trouble. How were you in past also does not matter now; if you can quickly understand the concepts and can devote 4-5 hours regularly for everyday; then it is very much possible to gain confidence in 3-4 months.

I am also going to take mathematics, fortunately my Job has some relevance with this subject; therefore i am in touch with some of the parts (like PDE, Fluid Mechanics, Numerical Methods etc) regularly. Perhaps, i have the basic understanding of every topic mentioned in the syllabus; but i can not say that i have completed it. I will start the intensive study of mathematics after prelims. Since GS is going to have enhanced role in mains, i am doing little in-depth study of the overlapping topics as a part of prelims preparation. This would help me in allotting time for Maths preparation.
  • edited March 2013
    @Nivir
    possible - definitely
    difficult - sure
    reason for people saying math is difficult is they are either afraid of it or not very good at it(even IITians good at phy and chem but not math)

One important point to consider here is if you take the subject you like and fail you will be sure you didn't study hard enough
    but if you take a random subject and fail
    then you will never know whether the problem was your lack of effort or choice of subject or both...
    Choice of Optional matters more when you fail than when you clear the exam...
  • @sheen
    I thought u were taking geography as optional.
    :D
    by the way i was also preparing maths as my second optional this year but now planning to take geography.
    If u are serious regarding taking maths I'll suggest u go through notes of VVR coaching.I actually joined it .
    If u have extra time (which i think would be difficult as there are 4 gs papers).U go through standard books as
    prakash raj purohit has mentioned.
  • edited March 2013
    @shasha
    VVR coaching ?
    I don't know about that.
    Can I order its material via online ? Do they provide postal course ?
    I may need that material I think.
  • @sheen
    Even i have half of the material u can take mine if u want..:D
    and i can help u arrange ,my friends still go to this coaching and u can get them photocopied .
    i don't think they provide postal material.
  • @sheen,VVR is an associated institute with ims..ims provide postal course and you can order the material online..i had taken the postal course this year..if you want only material then better try at some xerox shops in delhi as the cost will be very low (1500-2000 rs)..if you want material with some guidance and doubt clarification then you can try with the postal course..check this link for information http://www.ims4maths.com...briliant tutorials also have postal material i had purchased it from a xerox shop in delhi,this material was very advanced for me
  • Mathematics material for sale

Earlier I was having mathematics and physics as my optional. But, now I have chosen to go for Physics and hence interested in selling my mathematics material. Material includes:
    1. Xeroxed material of VVR( K Venkanna- IMS institute) - Rs 1400
    2. Boooks mentioned on Kashish Mittal and Prakash RP blog

Books will be sold at around 60-70% of MRP. All books are brand new. If anyone is interested then PM me or if you want to inspect the material personally, you can visit IITB, Mumbai.
  • Mathematics material for sale
    Earlier I was having mathematics and physics as my optional. But, now I have chosen to go for Physics and hence interested in selling my mathematics material. Material includes:
    1. Xeroxed material of VVR( K Venkanna- IMS institute) - Rs 1400
    2. Boooks mentioned on Kashish Mittal and Prakash RP blog
    Books will be sold at around 60-70% of MRP. All books are brand new. If anyone is interested then PM me or if you want to inspect the material personally, you can visit IITB, Mumbai.
    I m in the same position bro
    Decided to drop physics...
    Thought of selling the material but then decided to appear for IFoS too,as i am at home now preparing full time...
  • Hi, I am also taking maths as an optional. I'm willing to buy material if anyone having it is willing to sell or please suggest me one good postal guidance program..
    @gourav1919 @Caartey @shasha @quatru
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog