ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Need guidance for choosing optional as Mathematics

Hi Friends,
i am preparing for 2016. Choosing Mathematics as an optional completely out of interest.
The thing is i looked at the syllabus and i feel its very huge, will take around 5-6 months dedicated i feel (just an estimate),
I am a engineer so half of the syllabus is familiar to me as we study the same during engineering. But i know the level UPSC requires is far more than at college level. and i graduated in 2011 so obviously i have forgotten all the concepts.

i have few questions, kindly answer and give suggestion.
1. How much time it takes to complete the whole syllabus, provided i am not gonna go for any coaching. will be relying on Internet NPTEL, MIT and other courses available online.
2. Is my decision not to join coaching correct? if not how is IMS coaching in delhi?
3. Which books i shall follow. if possible please provide only foreign authors. like thomas and Finney calculus.
4. shall i go for maths or shall i go for some humanities subject,(i was thinking of psychology but after studying it for sometime i am not feeling interested in it.)
5. How risky is this optional
6. How scoring is this optional.

Any Help Appreciated.

Comments

• 1) It depends on you.To master mathematics syllabus it generally takes 8-10 months provided you are having a strong background
    2) You can cover the whole syllabus yourself by studying from standard books.Consult PrakashRaj Purohit Sir's Blog for the list of books
    3)See point 2
    4)This time though mathematics paper was easy but many of the guys with mathematics optional were not able to clear mains despite having a correct attempt of around 400.Also there is no overlapping with GS.You will only score good if you have a mastery over the subject.Half preparation in mathematics will be suicidal.
    5)See point 4
    6)About Scoring, if you are able to correctly attempt more than 450/500 the you will get a good score.
    But as you are preparing for 2016 make a choice after seeing the marks of mathematics optional guys this year.
    Hope this helps.
  • 1) It depends on you.To master mathematics syllabus it generally takes 8-10 months provided you are having a strong background
    2) You can cover the whole syllabus yourself by studying from standard books.Consult PrakashRaj Purohit Sir's Blog for the list of books
    3)See point 2
    4)This time though mathematics paper was easy but many of the guys with mathematics optional were not able to clear mains despite having a correct attempt of around 400.Also there is no overlapping with GS.You will only score good if you have a mastery over the subject.Half preparation in mathematics will be suicidal.
    5)See point 4
    6)About Scoring, if you are able to correctly attempt more than 450/500 the you will get a good score.
    But as you are preparing for 2016 make a choice after seeing the marks of mathematics optional guys this year.
    Hope this helps.
  • Thank you for your response @vikas92, would like to ask you few more things, please suggest,
    1. Regarding you point."It depends on you.To master mathematics syllabus it generally takes 8-10 months provided you are having a strong background" by 8 to 10 months you mean full time or preparing with general studies side by side.
    2. i have read that people attempt 450 marks still they get very less. do you have any idea on what basis they evaluate answer sheets?
    3. Currently when i go thru syllabus then i found most of it from engineering, but i agree that i have forgotten things. i am in a dilemma to chose or not, seeing the length of the syllabus, it will definitely affect GS preparation. Can you tell me out of your experience that should i go for this optional or not? Since you will be having a better idea.
    looking forwards for your valuable suggestions.
  • its not like that
    if u attempt 400 marks correctly u will esily get 220-230
    dont try to cover 100 percent syllabus
    be selective cover only 75 percent thoroughlly
  • Krishna series:
    Dynamic
    Statics
    Complex analysis
    Analytical geometry 3d
    Matrices
    Modern algebra
    Vector calculus

Non Krishna series:
    Calculus by Arora and kumar
    M D Raisinghania's Differentual( ordinary and partial both)

Xerox:
    Numerical analysis
    Linear programming
    Laplace transformation

Urgent sell for this set covering whole syllabus as I'm leaving Delhi. So quick reply.
    These books are very useful for self study.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog