We are hiring!

Online reading/ PDF or Printing ?

edited April 2013 in Tools & Technology
As we all know that internet has become the highly useful source for learning.
We UPSCians use internet a lot during our course of preparation. ( Internet companies may face a fund crunch if we all UPSCians vow to stop using internet XD )
We also find online lots of information / materials useful for UPSC.
But how you all manage this truckload f data ?
Do you read PDFs on-screen for hours ? How do you manage the reading of long hours of on-screen ?
I prefer taking print outs of data and then read it. I am not the die-hard lover of reading PDFs for hours.
How you all deal with it ?
Any idea how to take print outs more economically ?
I print a lot. Print outs do cost me heavy. How to reduce the costs of printing? Is there here anyone who manages this efficiently ?

Comments

• Buy a tablet. You can't print out everything. A tablet would be cheaper in the long run.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • buy a zing one it costs around 50o0
    "CHOICE" not "CHANCE" determines destiny.....
  • A very good thing about pdfs in you can listen it via "read out loud " option. You can use other text to speech softwares like natural reader. This way you can concentrate on the material better.
    CSE 2016/17
  • edited March 2013
    Buy a tablet. You can't print out everything. A tablet would be cheaper in the long run.
    I do have a tablet , the one with 7 inches.
    But as I told earlier , I don't prefer reading PDFs on-screen for hours.

• I prefer to condense whatever PDFs/news articles I am reading into concise notes which I then print out. I do the same for the NCERT books which have considerable amount of filler matrial + I add relevant info from other sources and then take a print. Revising becomes a lot easier without again having to separate the important from the not-so-important data.
  • A very good thing about pdfs in you can listen it via "read out loud " option. You can use other text to speech softwares like natural reader. This way you can concentrate on the material better.
    Do you know any good PDF to speech android software ?
  • edited March 2013
    I prefer to condense whatever PDFs/news articles I am reading into concise notes which I then print out. I do the same for the NCERT books which have considerable amount of filler matrial + I add relevant info from other sources and then take a print. Revising becomes a lot easier without again having to separate the important from the not-so-important data.
    How frequently do you print ?
    How many pages per day ?
    What is the cost for it? Do you find it economical ?
    I print a lot but find it very costly.

• How frequently do you print ?
    How many pages per day ?
    What is the cost for it? Do you find it economical ?
    I print a lot but find it very costly.

Printing will end up being prohibitively costly when you have to print hundreds and hundreds of pages. Paying 2 to 5 INR per page seems wasteful. But I had no qualms about abusing my office printer, and now that I have quit my job, my father prints my notes at his office! I have probably saved a few thousand rupees over the last year.
    Also I always condense the ebook/pdf to about 20% of its original volume, there is no point in wasting all that paper and your time over the extraneous material.
  • i do have a 7 inch tablet it's pain to read pdf in these small devices so i suggest you to go for a tablet with minimum 10 inch and with a good resolution , iPad & Ainol are the best .
  • Laserjet printer. Turns out to be cheaper.
    I cant read on the screen because I have a habit of underlining. I prefer hard copies for everything.
    Law

"We've got to live, no matter how many skies have fallen."
  • @alexiaaicha Which model do you have?
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Try using iReader extension available in Chrome. If any website can be rendered by it, you will see an icon in your URL bar as below:-

When you click on it, it will render a wikipedia page in a more reader friendly version as below:-
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • try canon's 2909 printer, cost Rs.5000, prints around 3000 pages per cartridge in reduction (4 pages on one paper). i found it very cheap.
  • Laserjet printer. Turns out to be cheaper.
    I cant read on the screen because I have a habit of underlining. I prefer hard copies for everything.
    same here....was thinking of getting hard copy of barucha...
    Stay Classy ...Stay Genuine
  • @alexiaaicha Which model do you have?
    @Neyawn: Using a HP Laserjet 1018
    Pretty damn faithful.
    Though 1018 doesn't have a compatible driver for Mac users - you could rig it a bit by putting it on the 1022 driver - so mac users should go for 1022 and above. Windows guys should have no problem.
    Law

• @abhi4046 Same here. I was planning to go to Ber Sarai and get it printed on the office/industrial machines they have there. It is as expensive as a photocopy to print.
    Law

• edited March 2013
    @abhi4046 Same here. I was planning to go to Ber Sarai and get it printed on the office/industrial machines they have there. It is as expensive as a photocopy to print.
    imo we need only the 3rd and 4th chapter alongwith the climate change part for the prelims from barucha....
  • @abhi4046 Same here. I was planning to go to Ber Sarai and get it printed on the office/industrial machines they have there. It is as expensive as a photocopy to print.
    For prints in Delhi, visit Nehru Place. I used to get prints @ 60p per page while I was in Delhi.

In Ber Sarai, there is a shop in basement near Jawahar Book Depot - opposite the road - that prints 500+ pages @ 75p per page.
    CSE2014 Center: Patna
  • Any suggestion for laser printer with duplex? ..speed is not an issue but overall price is ( i.e nehru place refilling hone chahiye)..I am also in dire need of 1 such printer.
    Btw in Ber sarai,you can print for 1.2rs for a page (both sides printed i.e) with 20 rs extra for binding.Its near the jawahar book shop.If you take photocopy its still cheaper ( 80p ,both sides i.e) but quality gets compromised a bit ,so better go for print only there.P.S-I am only talking about large amounts only.
    *Your* tears! *Your* blood! Your *pathetic* lives forged into something of worth
  • I had done my research few months back due to my own printing needs. My father had given me a inkjet printer because apparently it was a 'color' printer. The printing costs? 600/- worth of refille gave me 150 pages! I had to throw it for less than Rs. 1000.

I wanted a printer which would be economical in terms of one time investment, as well as the running cost should be very low. Wanted refills to be cheap, and prints at least 1500-2000+ pages at least so that I don;t have to go refilling again and again.

Apparently all this depends on the toner. And the best toner right now is 12A or compatible which has a tank of 120ml (rest others are less, like 80ml or so)

You have two options here:-

1. HP 1020 plus: If you're an HP fan, go for this. It is the largest selling JP laser printer, with an ink tank of 120 ml, printing 1500-2000+ pages at one.
    - Manual Duplex (Its not as hard as you think)
    - No chip, hence can be refilled in open market for Rs. 100-300
    - One refill gives 1500 pages

You can see this at flipkart clicking here

Issues:- HP only gives introductory catridge. This will only have half the tank capacity or less, which means the first cartridge cannot be refilled, at least not economically. But from the second cartridge you will get good performance.

2. Canon 2900B:-
    -Two year warranty (on site) as opposed to HP's one year
    - Same features as above.
    - Best part:- It uses the same cartridge as 1020plus, branded as canon. No issues of introductory cartridge - the very first cartridge can be refilled again and again :-)

You can see this at flipkart by clicking here

If you still choose to buy another printer, try getting any with 12A toner or with a equally big tank. The reason being the shopkeeper may tell you, that sir take this printer with small tank, its price is less; this will print 1500 while 12A will print 2000, and you may feel 1500 pages is good enough for me. Later you would simply want a printer that is cheap to refill and you don't have to visit the refill store everytime.

Note:- Both the printers are not supported on Mac, but there is a work around.

Source: Experience
    -from someone who does lot of printing and has bought three printers.
  • edited March 2013
    @zaphod_phi i bought a HP M1005 MFP(multi function printer) for about 11,500 rs after a research of 1 month and it works awesome.it read smwer that it costs 20-30 paisa per page excluding the cost of page,so about 40-50 paisa per page overall cost.it has manual duplex printing option which (as i read somwer) is faster than automatic duplex printing.speed is awesome.
    now as many of you may not need a MFP so the best options in single function are
    http://www.flipkart.com/hp-laserjet-1020-plus-single-function-laser-printer/p/itmdfnyzrgyht9nf?pid=PRNDFNYNGYCMNN8Y&ref=ee32c186-bd23-4275-b187-e86051a788f8&affid=iastudymat

http://www.flipkart.com/canon-laser-shot-lbp-2900b-single-function-printer/p/itmdyvb9hb2xftsa?pid=PRNDYVB7VNVCCTQV&ref=ee32c186-bd23-4275-b187-e86051a788f8&affid=iastudymat

so according to my research these two are the best option in single function printers and hp M1005 in MFP.
  • edited March 2013
    Anyone knows some PDF to speech android software which works well ?
    Anyone ?
    I need to listen PDFs.
  • @dinvincible and @Neyawn .I cannot thank you enough ,both of you.Both of you are a lifesaver angels for me. O:-) O:-) O:-) O:-) [2 2 for each ]
    *Your* tears! *Your* blood! Your *pathetic* lives forged into something of worth
  • Anyone knows some PDF to speech android software which works well ?
    Anyone ?
    I need to listen PDFs.
    Oh sorry i forgot to mention that i use laptop for reading pdfs. So dont know about the android software. But i think ezpdf is the best application on android for pdf.
    CSE 2016/17
  • @S_Deepam Yes! Project 21 is the shops name! I go there only :D The guy at the counter is very sweet - the college going guy whose father is the owner of the place.

@Neyawn: I completely agree with you 1020 has been the most amazing printer ever. ( I have had 1018 1020 1022)
    Secondly you can get the toner refilled for 150-200/- as you mentioned (12A toner cartridge).

(I hate to admit this, but in the past one month I have gone through 1.5 reems. Not only for printing but for notes and printing and top jobs etc. I feel sort of bad for being such a paper gobbler.)

Also Panasonic has come out with a DIY laserjet printer. The toner is available in the shops and you can refill it yourself at home.

Canon is reliable. But there is an issue with the colour printers. The ones with the separate CMYK cartridges. Even if one colour cartridge is empty, the printer will not print black and white prints. Which is quite frustrating. Canon Laserjet is something I wanted. Have you noticed how most photocopiers use Canon machines?
    Law

• @Neyawn @alexiaaicha

thanks a lot guys...i am going for canon laser printer as i have heard many great comments about it from mates,maybe for 2900b as recomemnded by @Neyawn....
    how is refilling done guys,i mean do the sellers do it or can we do it at home?
  • hp 1020 and canon 2900b can they scan papers also??
  • Nope. Just printers. Its better to take a separate scanner. All in one printers are bulky too.
  • @abhi4046 You may do it yourself as well. But since you need to refill once a year or so, its better to take the cartridge to the market to get it filled for Rs. 100-200.
  • edited March 2013
    @dark_knight

I prefer clicking snaps and uploading it on my lap top. :D
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly