ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Agriculture optional performance in CSM 2014

Those who cleared with Agri optional may please mark their presence here and give us their strategy for future candidates. Request those unfortunate ones who didn't clear to mark their presence as well so that the success rate can be judged.

Thanks

Comments

• Earnest request to those who cleared/failed with agri to come forward and comment here. It is a rare optional and so help is difficult to get. So, people with agri, please mark your presence
  • Bhai i know 1 senior who scored more than 220 in 2013 in agri but his gs score was not good..so only optional cant help u in clearing..
  • @rkr06 how did the senior fare this year? was he selected or not?
  • How long does it take to finish agriculture for civil service mains? I am planning to take agriculture as I failed mains two times consecutively with sociology.
    2 attempts : 2 mains out
  • @sharma_24013

Agri P1 is easy as questions are generic. But whenever a paper is generic marking is tough. General trend is 80 to 100

Agri p2 is technical. There is a lot of biotechnology involved in it. So your comfort factor will have its say in the preparation. As is the trend with technical papers, marking is liberal here. 130 to 140 is what successful people score. Marks wont be too high or too low. Moreover it is difficult to even say anything with certainty because data is very minimal.

Agri is neither easy nor tough but if you don't have bio background then it leans on the tougher side.

@rkr06

Bhai, This is my earnest request. Since you have a contact with agri as a subject, you can of immense help here. Not only can you contact your senior to get his info, through him you can contact a few others also with agri as optional as your senior may have his contacts/group. Please please please please help.
  • Bhai..i met some of the seniors..they told me that
    1. Dont take agri if u r not from bio background..
    2. Syllabus looks easy..even questions also..but u have to write 25 questions in 3 hr.
    3.paper 2 is lengthy and tough..
    4.writting practise donot matter much
    5.paper 2 confusing..
    6. I senior who is brilliant in agri got 40 marks in paper 2..
    So i stopped meeting them..becuase agri is my optional..and i am not from bio background
  • @rkr06 bro, forget the seniors, since you also have agri as ur optional, how do YOU feel regarding the subject? do u think it will be a good idea to take agri at this moment?
  • Not yet studied bro..did coaching from evolution..but require mugging skills..u can if u are comfortable with gs
  • @rkr06 How are evolution printed notes for agriculture?
    "God is great"
  • edited April 2015
    Hello everyone
    I think we all are totally new to subject why not we all gather up at forum to discuss prepration strategy and even questions on agri since there will be no test series
  • nope.. there is a test series conducted by evolution.. i called them today, they informed me
  • Bhaiyon, Agri is good if you are from Bio background..after talking to basra, rkr06 i started with Genetics from BD Singh's book and i am done with genetics. Also, preparing Agronomy simultaneously. By this month's end, i will be done with Genetics, Ecology part, Cropping patterns, Forestry and will begin with Plant breeding (hopefully). My strategy is to finish one or two technical sections of paper 2 with generic topics of paper 1 in a month.

To be frank, i am not finding Agri that tough as compared other science optionals like Maths, Physics, Mechanical Engg unlike many people suggest. I am a B. Tech. Studied Biology till 12th but very sincerly. But yes, we need to go deep into the text books. I also believe, i can have a better knowledge of Agri than some of my B.Sc. friends at the end.

So, what i feel is, if you have studied Biology well, you can choose this optional if you have good mugging capacity. Concepts are straight forward even in paper 2 but we need to rattify things.
  • @rkr06 bro, forget the seniors, since you also have agri as ur optional, how do YOU feel regarding the subject? do u think it will be a good idea to take agri at this moment?
    Bro i think we need time to prepare paper 2..like 75-90 days...Paper 1 can be managed in 30 days..So, if you are planning to take agri this year, you need to give 100-120 days to it..i.e. you should have completed major chunk of GS.
  • @basra @rkr06
    How about a skpe conversation to clear doubts and teach some sections...I will be referring standard books and i will be in a position to have a coversation on technical parts of paper 2 by May end. What do you people say?
  • @Tare_zameen_par bro i am not from bio background.. does it mean i will find it too difficult to manage?
  • Bro before shifting to agri from other non bio optional , I will suggest to talk with your friend/senior who took it as optional and their this year performance. One of my senior appeared in 2013 mains with agri optional and got call for interview but this time he could not. I m botany opt guy and did not get in. Perhaps science did not do well this time. So if agri will do well then other optional will also do well. Stick to your basic and excell in that.
    Maidan- e- Jung me ghudhsawar hi girate hain....
    WO tifn kya girenge Jo ghutano ke bal rengate hain
  • @Sachinmayekar bro printed notes are copy pasted from books...
  • @ghost_rider bhai even last year they said they will conduct test series but only 2-4 students turn up so they cancelled
  • @ghost_rider Bhai didn't you study Biology till 12th class at least? If not, you might find things tough in paper 2. But you definitely can prepare.

@bigdreamer
    Bro how were your GS papers? Do you think because of a science optional you didn't get a call?
  • @Tare_zameen_par my all GS papers went all . I attempted all questions barring one of paper 3 of GS. Essay also went fine. Scene will be clear once marks will be shown
    Maidan- e- Jung me ghudhsawar hi girate hain....
    WO tifn kya girenge Jo ghutano ke bal rengate hain
  • edited April 2015
    @bigdreamer
    Sad to hear that man! Was this your first attempt? I think we need to stick to our optionals anyway. Many people on forum failed in mains with maths also. I wonder what has happened with other science optionals. Do you know other people with science optionals? Did they get through?
  • Those who have connections with seniors of agri optional plz enquire about books they followed....and ask about way of answer writting
  • @sharma_24013

Agri P1 is easy as questions are generic. But whenever a paper is generic marking is tough. General trend is 80 to 100

Agri p2 is technical. There is a lot of biotechnology involved in it. So your comfort factor will have its say in the preparation. As is the trend with technical papers, marking is liberal here. 130 to 140 is what successful people score. Marks wont be too high or too low. Moreover it is difficult to even say anything with certainty because data is very minimal.

Agri is neither easy nor tough but if you don't have bio background then it leans on the tougher side.

I had bio-technology till 12th standard but that was in 2008 so i might have forgotten many things. The problem is i haven't even studied a bit of agriculture. Do you think it can be done before prelims without any coaching ?
  • @sharma_24013

Dude, am also in same dilemma. Here is my observation:

1. If you are working, it is next to impossible to complete even 50% of agri syllabus before prelims as you have to give time for Prelims at least from Mid-may

2. Coaching is generally not so useful for upsc. It is absolutely unavailable for agri except perhaps in evolution. And materials are mostly copy paste. I dont think it will help in anyway.

3. If you are into full time prep, perhaps with lot of hard work u can complete 60 to 70% of syllabus before prelims. But agri being a new optional, u would require multiple learnings to get a complete command. And there is a lack of test series, so u may need to write and evaluate urself. And then correct the issues. All this is damn risky in this short time.
  • @vignesh
    Bro when questions are specific, you don't need a test series. But yes, a senior if present can make things easier.
  • I appeared in interview with Public Administration in 2013 but could get through overall. And this time could not make it past Main exam with PA. I am planning to change my optional. Been thinking about Agriculture. I had studied Biology till 12th and was good at it. I am a B.Tech grad. I read last years' questions papers of agriculture and found them straight forward unlike PA. Is it possible to gain COMMAND over the subject in four-five months? Can it be done without coaching? How much utility will I have in GS on account of Agriculture as optional?
    PS: Request, people who have actually studied Agriculture please answer. No assumptions.
  • @sharma_24013

Dude, am also in same dilemma. Here is my observation:

1. If you are working, it is next to impossible to complete even 50% of agri syllabus before prelims as you have to give time for Prelims at least from Mid-may

2. Coaching is generally not so useful for upsc. It is absolutely unavailable for agri except perhaps in evolution. And materials are mostly copy paste. I dont think it will help in anyway.

3. If you are into full time prep, perhaps with lot of hard work u can complete 60 to 70% of syllabus before prelims. But agri being a new optional, u would require multiple learnings to get a complete command. And there is a lack of test series, so u may need to write and evaluate urself. And then correct the issues. All this is damn risky in this short time.
    I am not working for next two months atleast after which i might join some thing. I have not seen any coaching or test series for agriculture too. But the problem is if you see 2013 agri marks , there are 7 guys who finally made it and 4 guys scored in vicinity of 250. The scores in sociology were abysmal. I failed in my first mains solely because of Sociology and i have no idea how i could not make it again this time.
    The only problem with agriculture is lack of time available to us. We are caught up between " increasing mastery in our current optional or choosing a new one ". I think we should study a bit of agriculture atleast till 1st May after which we can come to a conclusion.
  • @vuccagiri

Bro, I've seen you in Pub ad answer discussions. I thought of asking you this.

See, people here say we need to mug up a lot in Agri especially in P2. But now seeing the Pub ad leaked syllabus, I feel we need to put a lot of efforts for Pub ad also. We cannot risk without studying the leaked syllabus. Even assembling relevant materials for the leaked syllabus topics is difficult. Considering this, don't you feel Agri is a better choice?

I'm also giving serious consideration for IFoS as that is the best backup option along with RBI Gr B.

For forest, I've already decided agri will be one of my optional. I'm planning to take Geology.

@Sathish can guide for Geology for IFoS. I have seen him comment elsewhere that geology is difficult but this time due to new moderation it has fetched good marks.

vuccagiri bro, for ifos I know people who cleared mains with just 1 week preparation with just 1 book for each optional. So, if we select a common optional we will study it extensively for civils and in turn it will help us maximise our chances in IFoS given the minimal competition it has compared to civils.

Please give ur observations.
  • Hi all,
    This is my first attempt...just wanted to share my journey.. I started preparing for agri couple of months back and I am not from agri background... finished few chapters from paper1 but could not spend much time on paper2... I am prioritizing all the topics that coincide with the GS first. Hopefully i will be able to complete by June/July. As others pointed out, paper2 is relatively tough for non-agri candidates.

Anybody here would like to join online skype group for doubt, material sharing and mutual help?
  • Those who have decided on Agri, please PM me. Let us form a strategy rightaway. We have just 1 month for prep for mains as we need to do for prelims atleast from may last week. Let us form a google group and narrow down on book list. But first, let us see how many of us are deciding on agri.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog