MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Old Age Crisis: The Vrindavan Story

edited March 2013 in Polity & Governance
In India, love is in the air everehere and everytime. Bollywood circulates billions per year cashing it on love. Billions are also reported to be lost down the love's drain because of inactivity and emotional disbalance induced into love-smitten youth. But, I wonder where the love-phenomena loses that force in another dimension of love - love of children to old parents?
With break down of Joint Family and old values old people are being continuously neglected by the society. Imagine how bad the situation is when widows in the 'widow-capital of the country' Vrindavan have to be dismembered and dumped into garbage due to lack of funds for proper rites?
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article2784876.ece
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/vrindavan-widows-allowance-hiked/article4450515.ece

Insentivities in India has no limits but this seemed nadir to me. India doesn't have any proper social security system for its elderly. In the coming years, India is going to have population %age of its elderly rise to unprecedented levels as Demographic Transition matures. How are we going to handle this situation? What are the factors driving such poor conditions? Let's find out.

To me factors driving this thing are
Cultural factor: with increasing materialistic nature of modern human, old values like caring of the old seems to be not-cool/out of time. + Generation Gap + Joint family system is breaking down where old people had an institutional power source + migration of children and either parents dnt wanna go or children dont want them to come with them
Economic Factor: increasing cost of living in modern days where drinking water is to be bought. leave aside joint family, even nuclear family is impossible to run (internet, hifi coaching are also an necessity in addition to health, bread and butter) particularly for urban poor.

Solution: What i believe is If there is a will we can amass enough resources for old people's sake. We have good enough GDP and growth rate than in the past
*legally bind children for parents care jus like a divorcee husband has to pay maintainence for ex-wife and punish detractors and charge huge fines
*If children economically weak, government will take care > develop a social security model > community old care homes can be funded through income tax on whole of the population rich and poor alike
*Rope in NGOs like Help Age and Sulabh International, mandatorily Old age CSR / old people budget
*Retired educated people can be roped in giving them flexible employment and use fund generated to their and general old-people welfare

Please come up with your own ideas regarding
*nature of the problem
*causes of the problem
*solutions
and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"

Comments

• @AK_CS Finding difficult to arrange the ideas in a proper flow. Anyway just have a look.

It is and will be a problem of perennial nature( ppl will keep aging), hence there is a need for it to be taken up seriously.

Demographic dividend, which we are hopeful, that it will benefit us in the near future, will not stay forever, and if not handled properly can become a liability of a great magnitude.

Some of the things which compound the problems of old age are,
    lack of companionship,
    lack of financial independence.

lack of companionship- can be addressed through community building, where they can contribute productively in areas which do not demand excessive physical endurance, like they can contribute in creating environmental awareness etc.

lack of financial independence- can be addressed by promoting self-employment schemes for the senior citizens. Loans could be made more accessible and affordable(spl lower rates for sr citizens).

If we look at the aspect of health of old ppl, We cannot expect a person troubled with frequent diseases to lead a healthy old age, in such cases the twin problems compound each other. So we can take up causes of better sanitation facilities in less developed areas, which is a major source of non-fatal but serious diseases, which affects the well being and efficiency of a person.

Urging the govt to come with more funds and initiatives for the cause of old ppl(There is some pension plan of govt, Indira gandhi something, it pays pension to senior citizens with 2 tier structure
    1- >=60, <80, 2- >=80)

Creating awareness among the employed ppl to take up financial planning seriously, and to make them aware of the govt schemes( I also remember there is one scheme for pension planning, where if a person contributes say rs x/month as pension plan, govt also contributes rs x to that account. limit of x being rs 1000).

Bringing in laws favorable to them,
    Making it obligatory for the children to take care of their old parents( based on this.....

http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/20/unenforced-filial-responsibility-laws/ )

Including the topic in curriculum of basic education, to develop an attitude of responsibility in the young minds, and spread awareness as well.

What else?
    "ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"
  • @AK_CS Exactly what I was going to post when I saw this topic come up again :-)
    You have no idea what a huge news that is. Colors in their lives, its probably the first time.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Only solution to this would be to prosecute the relatives of these abandoned widows and raise funds for their collective welfare (if not on an individual basis). Dumping old people hasn't been taken as seriously as it should have been. With a population that is bound to age with economic development, we need a sustainable solution to this menace.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • edited March 2013
    @ArindamSarkar prosecution isnt sustainable Arindam...changing mindsets is..but this is so cliched(changing mindsets) an idea :(
    @Neyawn : indeed..big news.. atleast some bindeshwars and SC is there who think about them. also the news item mentions some probationary officer very upbeat about their welfare..that also sent some positive vibes
    and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"
  • edited March 2013
    @ArindamSarkar prosecution isnt sustainable Arindam...changing mindsets is..but this is so cliched(changing mindsets) an idea :(
    @Neyawn : indeed..big news.. atleast some bindeshwars and SC is there who think about them. also the news item mentions some probationary officer very upbeat about their welfare..that also sent some positive vibes
    I believe a few prosecutions would indeed help change mindsets. You don't need to arrest them all to make them fall in line. Just a few sends out the message.

Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog