BBB tags 75 senior officers for leadership roles in PSBs SC to hear petition to end write-offs Chemists and druggists are passe;from now, all will be pharmacies As UK climate protest grows, Emma Thompson, teen joins in India warns IMF against fresh bailout for Pakistan

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

Prototype Questions for Quantitative, Analytical and Logical Reasoning for CSAT-II

edited February 2013 in CSAT
Guyz and Galz

Half of CSAT-II is about reasoning. We all have same type of reasoning machine (brain) fitted into ourselves. The little bit of difference that classifies us into qualified and non-qualified (What I believe) is our exposure and practice of diverse types of reasoning questions. This thread aims to increase our exposure by providing a goldmine of such prototype-questions of reasoning.
Here, I request you to post high-quality reasoning questions which are one of their kind. Please read this before posting.
Dos
1. Please put any worthy question you encountered in day's practice. This is a collective investment with unlimited Output/Input ratio.
2. Please put the most efficient way of answering(Of Course, if you know) the given type of question a day after putting the question.
3. Please keep the thread lean and clean like your precious note-book for future reference/revision. Go to other section if you want to kill some time.

Dont's
1 .Don't post very difficult questions which require multi-stage reasoning for 10s of minutes. We don't aim to be genius here.
2 .Don't post very easy questions which are straight-formula based and are just put for putting sake in the exam. e.g. Ram reaches Nam in 20 mins while Nam reaches Ram in 40 mins. Find ratio of speed.
3. Don't turn the thread into a rough-book. Try answering at home. Only post your answers if you find your way of answering easier and faster than that put by the question-poster, or if, no answer has been put up earlier. This will be make thread easier to read to future readers(Sustainability, you know)
4. Don't post a same type of question as put up earlier by someone.

CSAT-13 is around 90 days far. Lets take one CSAT daily for two hours at home, and 5 mins at forumIAS together. All the Best!
and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"

Comments

• Q1. Two trains start at the same time, one from Delhi to Agra and other from Agra to Delhi. If they arrive at their destinations one hour and sixteen hours respectively after passing one another, how much faster is one running than the other?
    and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"
  • 4 times faster than the other.
    Miles away from Ordinary!
  • Consider following statements

(1) Circle is a polygon
    (2) All circles are also eclipse
    (3) Ratio of Area and square of radius of a circle is directly proportional to the diameter.
    (4) When a circle completes one rotation on a horizontal floor, displacement of any point on the circle is zero.

Choose the correct statements.
  • edited February 2013
    (1) & (4)
    Miles away from Ordinary!
  • @ tBag,

*sorry for typo. it is ellipse not eclipse (option2). All circles are ellipse whose major and minor axes are same.

Circle is rolling on the floor; entire circle is being displaced from one position to other. So displacement will not be zero.
  • Ans. Q1). 4 times

The meeting point is a peculiar distance-dividing point. It divides the distance between them in the ratio of their speeds(because both trains reach their in same/equal time). Now this peculiarity also implies that the distance of their destinations from this point on is also in ratio of their speeds. Now ratio of time taken to reach their destinations from the meeting point will be a 'double whammy'(t=s/d here distance not constant but in ratio of speed) of ratio of speeds i.e. square of ratio of speeds. So ratio of speed is square root of ratio of time.

PS: If you start finding the answer by calculating distance and all you will be stuck at meeting point for a long time and reach Delhi and Agra very late. :P

I chose this question because it proto-type//represents the conceptual understanding of speed, time and distance problems in a good way. Examiner may induce us to go for lengthy calculations but we can do things faster jus by using our understanding of the situations hidden in formula
    S=D/T which tells us
    * when distance is constant, speed and time are inversely related
    * when time constant, speed directly related to distance
    * when speed constant, distance and time inversely related
  • Q3. If a car has travelled 20000 km so far, and total 5 tyres(means 1 tyre extra) have been used by the owner in this journey. For how much distance one tyre travelled, If the owner used all the tyres equally(i.e. no tyre has been overburdened or used more than the other)?

If you do this, then
    If in 24 hours of working of forumIAS, we use the services of 6 moderators. And at a single point of time only 4 moderators are required. For how much time does, one moderator works on average if all moderators have equal work-burden?
  • Q3. If a car has travelled 20000 km so far, and total 5 tyres(means 1 tyre extra) have been used by the owner in this journey. For how much distance one tyre travelled, If the owner used all the tyres equally(i.e. no tyre has been overburdened or used more than the other)?

If you do this, then
    If in 24 hours of working of forumIAS, we use the services of 6 moderators. And at a single point of time only 4 moderators are required. For how much time does, one moderator works on average if all moderators have equal work-burden?
    1. 16,000?
  • Plus a little request.
    Please add a number to any prototype/representative question you put. It will help in the future reference.
    Also, ask questions which you feel UPSC can ask (i.e. not too technical, not related to specific cases, and which will be easier to answer by an arts student as good as science student provided knowledge basic numeracy ).
    Also, please if you answer the question post your way of answering too. Also, it is preferable to wait for a day until the question-poster itself puts a model answer

Please don't misunderstand my requests as arrogance. It is for betterment of all of us. I really fill with gratitude when you participate here. I just put those request because it will help us all. e.g. if i criticised your question, and if i am right then you benefit by standing rectified and sharpening your preparation process. If a am wrong , then i stand corrected. and, in either of the case whole forum stands benefitted by inching closer to the right thing.

• edited February 2013
    Q3. If a car has travelled 20000 km so far, and total 5 tyres(means 1 tyre extra) have been used by the owner in this journey. For how much distance one tyre travelled, If the owner used all the tyres equally(i.e. no tyre has been overburdened or used more than the other)?

If you do this, then
    Ques 3. 1. 16,000 kms/ each tyre? I was wondering about the correctness of my answer before putting up my way of solving it :)

Ques 3. 2. 16 hours each?

And yes, Good stuff :)
  • Brilliant effort @AK_CS
    A republic without a pub is a relic | Criticize the post, not the poster |
  • Either way, Ill recheck and put up my way of solving, once I am done with my lunch :D
  • edited February 2013
    So Dos and Donts rules stand amended in light of above additions of Dos 1.1,1.2 and Don't 3.1 and Dont 5. Please have a look at them.

Dos
    1. Please put any worthy question you encountered in day's practice.
    1.1 By worthy question, i mean moderately/desirably difficult question which is representative/prototype of many related questions. Not too specific, special or technical case.
    1.2 Put the question number (Previous + 1). It will go a long way in enhancing readabiltiy.
    2. Please put the most efficient way of answering(Of Course, if you know) the given type of question a day after putting the question.
    3. Please keep the thread lean and clean like your precious note-book for future reference/revision with no other thing than serious academic stuff. Go to other section if you want to kill some time.

Dont's
    1 .Don't post very difficult questions which require multi-stage reasoning for 10s of minutes. We don't aim to be genius here.
    2.Don't post very easy questions which are straight-formula based and are just put for putting sake in the exam. e.g. Ram reaches Nam in 20 mins while Nam reaches Ram in 40 mins. Find ratio of speed.
    3. Don't turn the thread into a rough-book.
    3.1. Dont answer right away at thread. Wait for 1 day. Try answering at home. Wait for 1 day for question-poster to put model answer. Only post your answers if you find your way of answering easier and faster than that put by the question-poster or if no answer has been put. This will be making thread easier to read to future readers(Sustainability, you know).
    4. Don't post a same type of question as put up earlier by someone.
    5. Don't post complements/appreciations/ or opposite of these emotions for the sake of future readability. A humble click on like button will speak volumes higher and greatly fill our hearts with pride.

[Moderator Suggestion:This thread can be made a great academic revision source for future. Small talk and meaningless replies will make it difficult and longer for future readers to revise. Please restrict yourself to Clicking Like, posing new questions or answering them.]
  • edited February 2013
    @AK_CS

Time and distance problems can be easily solved. In that example,

Let V1 & V2 are the velocities and X & Y are the distance traveled upto meeting point

Then X/V1=Y/V2. This gives V2/V1= Y/X. (Time elapsed in reaching meeting point is same)
    Again Y/V1= 16*X/V2 this gives Y/X= V1/V2*16 ; (time elapsed after meeting point to destination)
    therefore V2/V1=V1/V2*16 or (V2/V1)2 = 16. Therefore V2/V1 = 4.

Sometimes it really helps if you can write some phenomenon in mathematical form.
  • Ans(3). The car has to travel for 20000 Kms and has to share equal burden on each tyre. First we have to find how many different combinations of 4 tyres are possible. Certainly, 5 different combinations are possible as 1 tyre will remain out in each combination. Now, to share equal burden a car has to travel on each of these combination for equal distance i.e. 20000/5 Kms 4000 Kms. Now for how much distance does 1 tyre travels? In mathematical terms it means nothing but in how many different combinations does 1 tyre remains on ground? It is 4 combinations (It can remain on ground in maximum 4 combinations). and, 4 combinations equal to 4x4000 Kms= 16000 Kms

Similarly 2nd part can be solved.((24/(6C4))*5C3) i.e. 16 hrs. Though, difficult 2nd part will provide good practice of combinations(of Permutations and Combinations ilk) questions.
    Both of these questions come into the category where a work is shared by many at a time. Difficult version of these questions are also good representative of selection/Combination questions.

PS: please post any easier way applicable for both Qs,if you know .
  • edited February 2013
    Q4. How many triangles are there in this pic? (A lighter versinon of this type was asked in CSAT 12)

PS: Guys and Gals! I am reeling under immense weight of carrying this thread forward alone. Please share you favs.
    Ek katra bant ke to dekho yaro, sari fiza apni na ho gayi to kahna! (try sharing a bit, whole milieu will become yours)
    Star.jpg
    423 x 378 - 13K
  • @AKS
    20 triangles.
  • @AK_CS

Again using mathematics for car Tyre question.

Let X = distance traveled by each Tyre

then X+Y=20000. where Y= distance traveled by car when one of the Tyres is not used.

As car has to run on 4 Tyres, one Tyre will always be not used in the journey of X km. Dividing X equally among 4 Tyres will give Y=X/4

Therefore. X+X/4= 20000 km
    or, 5X/4=20000. Therefore X = 16000 km.
  • A person earns ` 2,000 per month over and above his salary as additional allowance. However, 30% of such additional allowance is deducted as additional tax at source. If the person would deposit ` 1000 per month on a long term saving fetching 12% interest, his tax liability on the additional allowance would reduce to 10%. What is the effective interest for this person for money invested in the long term saving scheme?
    (a) 20%
    (b) 18%
    (c) 19%
    (d) 12%

• edited February 2013
    @sunnywadia For the money invested he will be getting 12 % only. Did I miss something? :O
  • edited February 2013
    Ans. Q4. Finding out number of triangles, indeed, should not be done through simple counting with trial-and-error only. In such question two criteria I figured out are 1) step wise approach with size of the triangles (1-2-3-..) 2) symmetry. These will speed up the calculation and improve accuracy. Add if you know any additional one.
    Now applying these criteria
    No of triangles of size 1: 6(along the points of star) + 6 ( inside hexagon in the star around central point)
    No of triabgles with edge size 2: 6 (each point of star has an unique triangle
    )
    No with size 3: only 2 possible

So, total triangles > 12+6+2 = 20

(PS: Guyz please add serial numbers to your question. It helps in referencing and readability)
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks @PoliceWala....:)
  • Is there any technical way to tackle questions dealing with finding num of triangles/figures in a given image? A procedure?

"ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ"
  • Hey anyone plz solve the below question

A teacher takes 3 children from her class to the zoo at a
    time as often as she can, but she doesn’t take the same set of three
    children more than once. She finds out that she goes to the zoo 84
    times more than a particular child goes to the zoo. T otal number of
    students in her class in equal to????
    kal kya hoga kisne jaana....
  • edited April 2013
    @bunny_menace

Answer is 10 students.

Explanation:
  • @bunny_menace is the above answer correct?
  • @bunny_menace is the above answer correct?
    In my view, Your answer is correct.
  • @partho Correct =D>
    kal kya hoga kisne jaana....
  • Let A, B, C, D, E be five men sitting in a row facing alternate direction along North or along South. and M, N, O, P, Q are five ladies witting in another row parallel to the row of men and they are facing alternate directions too along North or South.
    1. A and M are facing each other.
    2. Q is diagonally opposite A
    3. P sits in the middle and N sits to the immediate left of P
    4. C is not able to see N
    5. E sits between C and D 
    Which of the following statements is true?

OPTIONS

1) If C is just right to B, then P can see C on her left side.
    2)If Q can see C on her left side then A and D are always together
    3) If P can see D on her right side then Q will always see C on her right side
    4)None of these
  • Can someone explain standard steps that needs to be followed in statement/assumption question?

I am confused with below question:

Statement: The school authorities have decided to increase the number of students in each classroom to seventy from the next academic session to bridge the gap between the income and the expenditure to a large extent.

Assumptions:

I - The income generated by way of fees of the additional students will be sufficient enough to bridge the gap.

II - The school will get all the additional students in each class from the next academic session.

A Only assumption I is implicit
    B Only assumption II is implicit
    C Either I or II is implicit
    D Neither I nor II is implicit
    ------------------
    Answer given is:
    Option A

Explanation:
    Clearly, increasing the number of children in each class would increase the income and reduce the expenditure per child. But the response to the school's decision cannot be deduced. So, only I is implicit.

---------------
    My comments: Why are we deducing things, as mentioned in the explanation? Isn't this assumption based question? Why statement II is not a valid assumption? Is it because of the phrase "large extent" ??
    Indian Foreign Service | Career Diplomat
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google