ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MITRA'S IAS - "ADMISSION OPEN" - NEW BATCH BEGINNING WITH WESTERN PHILOSOPHY STARTING FROM 16th NOVEMBER 11.AM (LIMITED SEATS)
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
Website:- www.mitrasias.com;  Address: MITRAS IAS , 39 PUSA ROAD, SAMAYAK TOWER OPPOSITE METRO PILLAR NO.- 120

Playing musical instruments (eg. guitar) as a hobby

edited January 2015 in Interview Preparation
So how many guitarists do we have here? Let's discuss the nuances of this hobby.

I'm just an amateur hobbyist. I've been playing the Spanish acoustic for over 8 years now. Never played in a band. Still suck and I'm pretty rusty.

Do they ask you to play one during the interview? :D

Ps. This is open to all guitarists / bassists / Spanish players / Hawaiian players / even other similar instrument players are free to 'pitch' in.
Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...

Comments

• 2 years back joined guitar class, left within 2 months .. no practise, forgot to play guitar .. may be after clearing upsc, will practise again ... BTW, I like violin most ..
    Simplicity is the real beauty ..
  • 2 years back joined guitar class, left within 2 months .. no practise, forgot to play guitar .. may be after clearing upsc, will practise again ... BTW, I like violin most ..
    Simplicity is the real beauty ..
  • Playing for about 10 years . Playing right now too,this hobby is not gonna be much of a problem I guess :D
  • I don't think they'll take the trouble of arranging a guitar in the interview. Or do they ? Anyone first hand exp ?
  • Who knows, they might hand over thier smart phones which could contain Violin or Guitar applications and make you guys play in it .. :D
    2017--> 8th attempt
  • So, what questions can they ask?
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • Bhaiyon! ye kya kar rahe ho tumlog! In another thread I listed some questions on guitar and requested everybody to add more. Nobody replied. And see here whats happening. ek bhai bata rahe hain ki guitar UPSC ke bad sikhenge. ek kah rahe hain ki it wont be a problem I guess. Aur ek buddhhe interviewers se 2 funny ummeed kar rahe hain. pahli to ye ki wo smart phone chalana jante hain aur doosri ye ki wo guitar apps rakhenge. Maine corporate me bhi aise funny budhhe nai dekhe! Anyways, lets build a set of all possible questions on guitar.
    Andhera chatega! suraj niklega! kamal khilega!
  • @ArindamSarkar
    I don't think that they will ask you to play it during interview. But they may be ask questions related to acoustic principle behind it. If you are playing guitar than you must watch videos of Buckethead on youtube especially his track called padmasan. I am not a guitarist but i play keyboard since last 9 months.
  • edited January 2015
    Bhaiyon! ye kya kar rahe ho tumlog! In another thread I listed some questions on guitar and requested everybody to add more. Nobody replied. And see here whats happening. ek bhai bata rahe hain ki guitar UPSC ke bad sikhenge. ek kah rahe hain ki it wont be a problem I guess. Aur ek buddhhe interviewers se 2 funny ummeed kar rahe hain. pahli to ye ki wo smart phone chalana jante hain aur doosri ye ki wo guitar apps rakhenge. Maine corporate me bhi aise funny budhhe nai dekhe! Anyways, lets build a set of all possible questions on guitar.
    Can you just translate it man ..
    2017--> 8th attempt
  • ^^ Thanks. Music theory is crystal clear for me. I'll revise again. :)
  • @ArindamSarkar
    They might ask you questions on different types of guitar like acoustic , electric etc or the metal used in strings of guitar. I think that the last one and thin string among all is made of copper.
  • Bhaiyon! ye kya kar rahe ho tumlog! In another thread I listed some questions on guitar and requested everybody to add more. Nobody replied. And see here whats happening. ek bhai bata rahe hain ki guitar UPSC ke bad sikhenge. ek kah rahe hain ki it wont be a problem I guess. Aur ek buddhhe interviewers se 2 funny ummeed kar rahe hain. pahli to ye ki wo smart phone chalana jante hain aur doosri ye ki wo guitar apps rakhenge. Maine corporate me bhi aise funny budhhe nai dekhe! Anyways, lets build a set of all possible questions on guitar.
    Can you just translate it man ..
    Haha.. sarcasm would be lost in translation. Anyway, dont take it on heart. I was just bemused by the randomness in the discussion here.
  • @ArindamSarkar
    They might ask you questions on different types of guitar like acoustic , electric etc or the metal used in strings of guitar. I think that the last one and thin string among all is made of copper.
    Those are good points. Plus they love to talk about people. Even differences with other similar instruments might be asked.
  • Who invented electric guiter? What r the reasons that guiter has become the most popular musical instrument ?(even more than violin). What r the differences between guitar and sitar?
    back to Square 1
  • ^^ No. The last 2 are some alloy of steel. No copper. Thicker ones are bronze.
  • Who invented electric guiter? What r the reasons that guiter has become the most popular musical instrument ?(even more than violin). What r the differences between guitar and sitar?
    :-SS
  • @ArindamSarkar
    Difference between guitar , banjo , sitar , santoor , sarod as all are working on same principle.
  • @ArindamSarkar
    Difference between guitar , banjo , sitar , santoor , sarod as all are working on same principle.
    Exactly. Even any random instrument like the tabla. Both can produce different pitches and rhythms.
  • @ArindamSarkar
    I forget to mentioned about Mohan Veena. It's a modified version of guitar developed by Pt.Vishwamohan Bhatt. But mohan veena is included in classical instruments while guitar not.
    Now you guys are talking!

Who invented = Adolph Rickenbacker (Just saw on google) nice question.
    Guitar being popular because of - low cost, easy to support a song, easily transportation and fashion statement.
    Guitar vs sitar = This topic need a thorough research. As far as I know, 3 things that make difference are the size of the resonating chamber (electric vs acoustic), type of strings (pitch like in sitar vs banjo vs guitar, classical vs Spanish guitar) and tension in the string. Further Banjo uses copper, sitar uses sympathetic strings.. dont know what it really is.
  • @ArindamSarkar
    I forget to mentioned about Mohan Veena. It's a modified version of guitar developed by Pt.Vishwamohan Bhatt. But mohan veena is included in classical instruments while guitar not.
    Yes that too. Also the differences between Hindustani and Carnatic, classical and modern, Indian, Western, Middle-Eastern, Hispanic, African, etc.
  • JI vs 12-TET and the commas - in case a member happens to know.

Raga vs scale

Taal vs tempo / bar blues

Difference between the common genres like rock, pop, classical, jazz, blues, fusion, etc.- express in words.

Drones vs tunes vs melody vs progression vs song

Nylons vs metals vs electrics

Your favorite guitarist

Construction of the guitar and similar instruments
  • Watch out for questions on MIDI too. Paradigm changing tool ,really a blessing for musicians.
  • Changed the title. All musical instruments have to follow similar principles and a comparative discussion would be more helpful.
  • -Western vs Indian / Drone vs Harmony
    -Standard tuning frequency of 440Hz
    -Resonance and Dissonance
    -Ceramic and Alnico Magnets for sound production/ Pickup wiring
    -Timbre and Pitch
    -Fingerstyle vs Classical
    -State of Indie musicians in India / Record labels and Royalties
    -Uniqueness of every guitarist / Vibrato types
    - Basics on Luthiers
    - Floating and fixed bridges
    - Making a song,get a rough idea
    - Guitar neck scales(lengths)
    - Wood (mahogany,alder,basswood etc.)
    -Chord and scale building,get some basics down.
    -Reason why you enjoy the instrument .
  • Thanks for the umbrella title @ArindamSarkar
    . Any Bansuri players? Inputs would be appreciated, still a novice at that.
  • add me too guys . playing it for 6 yrs ...

sorry for late reply , super busy in office :((
    2013-mains
    2014- jane kya hoga rama re
  • ^^^
    1) JI is an absolutemethod of tuning an octave with notes in between as ratios of the fundamental , eg.3/2 for the perfect fifth. The nature of the fixed instruments (not vocals or fretless instruments) however render it impractical to change keys without retuning the whole instrument so a compromise/the 12 chromatic Equal Temperament was creating by sharpening the 3rd/flattening the 5th to make it possible to have a close enough absolute tuning while allowing key changes without retuning.
    Commas are just the same note in different tunings ( say E in the above JI n TET ). The difference would be some cents/dissonant.
  • 2) Raga vs scale
    - Both are only chosen notes of an octave but the raga is richer in the sense that it has more variations and more mood expression than provided by western modes.
    3) Taal vs tempo / bar blues (Time signature ?)
    - Taal is the method of keeping rhythm in a musical piece, and the patterns may be more loosely created than than written time sign.
    3) Difference between genres
    - Blues: blue notes/flat 5 flat 7s, groove,call and response.
    - Jazz: Polychords,swing,syncopation,improvisation.
    - Rock: borrowed a lot from the blues but more generally typified by a full band. Progressive bands today however fit in jazz and classical styles in their songs .
    -Pop: Generally short ,cliche tunes, verse chorus bridge structure.
    8) Drones - Single note harmony accompaniment vs tunes ? vs melody - one note played after another vs progression- sequence of notes vs song?

9)Nylons- easier to play,better for beginners , however harder to tune metals vs electrics- need calloused fingers, louder , essential for rocking someone's ass off lol.

10)Your favorite guitarist - Paul Gilbert.

11)Construction of the guitar and similar instrument Dont know how to put this in a few words. Someone please try,would be helpful.

• Are we going too technical here? Plz read previous interviews and see the questions asked..
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog