Current Affairs Revision Classes + Answer Writing For Mains 2019 
the one class you can bank upon to ace Mains 2019
Click Here to Subscribe for the classes.
Classes to be held every Monday and Tuesday, 5 PM. 

Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Causes of Bodo violence (old and new)

I am not able to find the real cause of recent violence. Had the bengali migrants targeted, Reason would have been simple. But here target is non bodo adivasi. So what is the reason, is the migration only reason. Bengali migrants come from Bangladesh whereas the non bodo adivasi came from different states. Though BTC provides the enough space to accommodate the aspiration of Bodos. Still they are firing bullets. Any specific reason...
मैं खड़ा हूँ उसी दोराहे पे, आज भी इंतज़ार में तेरे !
या तो ज़िन्दगी आये तेरे लिबास में! या मैं चलूँ फिरदौस की तलाश में !!

Comments

• people those who are doing this heinous activities must be condemned by all, especially across India. Everyone has to come up and raise awareness among people to protest against and isolate these fundamentalists from rest of the society.
  • @jatsab in recent violence, NDFB targeted adivasi because of they(NDFB) suspected them(adivasis) of passing information of their movement to counter insurgency forces. Also Bodos are feeling insecure due to their(adivasis) large presence across state along with migrants. Although there are many reasons for violence , this may be one.
    Chunnu, Munnu De Papa di Gaddi
    “जगह मिलने पर साइड देंगे”
  • edited December 2014
    there were two bodo militants, BLT (larger one and pro talks) and NDFB (small and anti-talks faction). BLT wanted autonomy only and their wish were fulfilled by granting BTC and it ceased to exist. However NDFB wants sovereignty and has been blacklisted as terrorist group. ...Adivasis are very less in numbers to threaten the demography. Reason is something else...which can be like
    1) their main motive is to signal their presence by doing such terrorist acts. Since it is losing its ground day by day
    2) state's failure to respond to inputs from indian intelligence .IBs main work in north east is to foresee such violence but govt. do curative measures not preventive
    3) external forces ,outside the country are instigating such acts
    4) militants have already threatened the govt, to stop their operation and messing against them otherwise innocents have to bear the brunt but their threat was taken lightly.
    back to Square 1
  • edited December 2014
    well the biggest threat is Existential, Bodos who were the majority in the past under the Ahom's are now a minority it their ancestral land. It is purely demographic destabilisation - Rajbhonshis, Migrants Bengalis, Biharis and Odiya people to plains.

Even, The Rajbhonshis give a communal angle due to being Muslims. So, it is Ethnic, Communal in nature whose root is fear of losing control which they did - 1st time a Non-Bodo MP has won BTAD this election.

Bodos fear political isolation as well.

This is all to add to @aamengineer who just looked at security aspects :P

Edit: Rajbhonshis are original Ahom tribes, my mistake - it should be Chakma Refugees instead
    Mankind was corrupt from the time of Adam & eve, why complain now :) || कांथर हुनु भन्दा मर्नु राम्रो || वीर भोग्या वसुंधरा
  • "Repeated waves of migration during the colonial years – with an influx of Santhal workers and Muslim farmers – marginalised Bodos, writes Udayon Misra in an article in the Economic and Political Weekly. As shifting cultivators, Bodos did not pay land revenue, which “made them appear as encroachers on government forest land and helped the immigrant non-tribal peasant to permanently acquire the land that was the preserve of the tribal farmer.”

In 1947, the Assam government legislated to bar outsiders from buying land in tribal belts and blocks. But the law was not implemented properly, writes Misra, and tribal land alienation continued in the post-Independence years.

In the eighties, the Bodo struggle for greater autonomy started with a peaceful movement but soon gave rise to armed militant groups. By 1993, when the Centre offered an olive branch in the form of an autonomous council for Bodos, the demographic changes in the region were several decades old and migrant families were into their second and third generations, if not more. And yet, the Centre decided to fall back on demography in deciding the boundaries of the autonomous district. It declared that only those areas where Bodos formed one-half of the population would be included in the district."

From here: http://scroll.in/article/663630/The-divide-in-Bodoland-runs-deep-and-starts-early
  • Bodo imbroglio that started as socio-political and ethnic assertions has taken a turn where if not addressed in time would result in similar violent acts in future.

Bodos are the earliest settlers of Assam. Their land and resources have been usurped both by state and other realities. The present violence in Bodoland areas of Assam has its roots in the following;

1. Illegal cross-border migration: Unabated migration of people of Bengali descent from Bangladesh has changed the demography of lower Assam and elsewhere. Lower Assam is the domain of the Bodo people. Without constitutional safeguards, Bodos are at their wits end to protect their land and resources from the unabated influx. The problem is worsened by the intra-state/country migration, notably by the Adivasis. The Adivasis were brought to Upper Assam by the Britishers from the Chhotanagpur Plateau to work in the tea plantations. Over the years, their numbers have increased and have spread to Bodoland areas.

2. This has created a unique situation where the natives have become a minority in their own land. The last Lok Sabha elections saw a non-Bodo(Hira Sarania, ex-ULFA leader) being elected from Kokrajhar parliamentary constituency which is the heartland of Bodo nationalism. This was possible because of the coming together of all non-Bodos(notably Bengalis(Musims)/Adivasis) and backing up a candidate that would work for the welfare of 'all', including non-Bodos and Bodos.

3. The radical elements within the Bodo society has not taken these episodes lightly. NDFB(Songbijit) is on the look out for all those people who voted otherwise. The present offensive against NDFB(S) pushed them to the wall. Being cornered, NDFB(S) found the helpless Adivasis as a soft target to draw home two points:

a. that they are still a strong force and can strike back with vengeance.
    b. that Bodo political aspirations have to be respected.

4. The formation of BLT(Bodo Liberation Tigers) and its subsequent decimation consequent upon creation of BTAD has ushered in an era of peace and stability in Lower Assam region. However, under the present regime in Assam, Bodos feel that their land and resources cant be protected, as such they clamour for separate state. The present Govt in Dispur(Guwahati) is accused of sheltering illegal migrants for vote bank politics. NDFB happens to be one of the agents to ventilate Bodo problems and aspirations, though in macabre way.
  • edited December 2014
    well the biggest threat is Existential, Bodos who were the majority in the past under the Ahom's are now a minority it their ancestral land. It is purely demographic destabilisation - Rajbhonshis, Migrants Bengalis, Biharis and Odiya people to plains.

Even, The Rajbhonshis give a communal angle due to being Muslims. So, it is Ethnic, Communal in nature whose root is fear of losing control which they did - 1st time a Non-Bodo MP has won BTAD this election.

@Thor, if I'm allowed to add few points,

1. Rajbongshis are not Muslims neither are they migrants. They are one of the original settlers of Assam, much before the Ahoms(under Siu Ka Fa). Rajbongshis had had an illustrious kingdom in Cooch Behar, now part of West Bengal. Rajbongshis are part of greater Assamese community. The decorated 'soldier' of Assam, Chilarai, is a Rajbongshi.

2. Yes, the core of the problem remains unabated influx followed by political marginalization of the Bodos.
  • edited December 2014

1. Rajbongshis are not Muslims neither are they migrants. They are one of the original settlers of Assam, much before the Ahoms(under Siu Ka Fa). Rajbongshis had had an illustrious kingdom in Cooch Behar, now part of West Bengal. Rajbongshis are part of greater Assamese community. The decorated 'soldier' of Assam Chilarai is a Rajbongshi.

2. Yes, the core of the problem remains unabated influx followed by political marginalization.
    Ya, I realised my mistake after i posted it. Rajbhonshis who are 15% are original Ahom tribes, but let it stay - coz imperfections are always there in everyone. (corrected with an edit :P )

I had to write Chakma refugees :P there
    Mankind was corrupt from the time of Adam & eve, why complain now :) || कांथर हुनु भन्दा मर्नु राम्रो || वीर भोग्या वसुंधरा
  • @Mooreeze there is a confusing thing between adivasis and bodos ,both are tribal communities ??? or is there a misperception? pls clear.
    back to Square 1
  • @Mooreeze there is a confusing thing between adivasis and bodos ,both are tribal communities ??? or is there a misperception? pls clear.
    Both are tribals, yes. However, in Assam Bodos are STs(scheduled tribes) and Adivasis are not STs. To make it clear, Adivasi is an umbrella term which includes central Indian tribal groups like Santhals, Oraons, Mundas, Gonds etc.

Adivasis along with other other five 'native communities' of Assam are demanding to include them in ST category. Bodos, being the largest tribe of Assam, see it as an undue interference that would legitimise Adivasis' various claims, primarily access to tribal blocks, reservation facilities and political mileage. Adivasis are already STs in their 'parent states' like 36garh, J'khand, WB, Odisha etc.

Bodos and other tribal groups have been opposing this demand. Adivasis are still considered as outsiders in Assam.

• well the biggest threat is Existential, Bodos who were the majority in the past under the Ahom's are now a minority it their ancestral land. It is purely demographic destabilisation - Rajbhonshis, Migrants Bengalis, Biharis and Odiya people to plains.

1. Rajbongshis are not Muslims neither are they migrants. They are one of the original settlers of Assam, much before the Ahoms(under Siu Ka Fa). Rajbongshis had had an illustrious kingdom in Cooch Behar, now part of West Bengal. Rajbongshis are part of greater Assamese community. The decorated 'soldier' of Assam Chilarai is a Rajbongshi.

2. Yes, the core of the problem remains unabated influx followed by political marginalization.
    Ya, I realised my mistake after i posted it. Rajbhonshis who are 15% are original Ahom tribes, but let it stay - coz imperfections are always there in everyone. (corrected with an edit :P )

@Thor,

Chakmas are again not Muslims. They are Buddhist. Refugees from Chittagong Hills tract of B'desh settled in parts of Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram. :P Bodo and Chakma issues are not related. ;;)
  • edited December 2014

i think ahom is not a tribal community, it has sattriya classical dance, and probably follow caste system..
    rajbonshi's should be linked with west bengal...if i am not wrong..sounds like bengali
    back to Square 1
  • @Mooreeze

My NE is messed up I think :P Maybe you can give some gyaan on it, else I have to take a crash course from Kiren Rijiju if I enter MEA :P

Who are the Muslim migrants from Bangla - what is their tribe then?
    Are all Chakma refugees - buddhists - or is it like Buddhist refugees are called Chakma's?

• edited December 2014

Edit: Rajbhonshis are original Ahom tribes, my mistake - it should be Chakma Refugees instead
    beyond security issues, things are general in nature like migration, political marginalization, demography, alienation, regionalism, ethinicity, communalism, blah blah :P
    back to Square 1
  • @aamengineer

If you write security alone you will end up with 38 in GS2 like me =)) If you write political, economic and sociological factors who will be GA or Neha Jain :-bd
  • @Mooreeze

My NE is messed up I think :P Maybe you can give some gyaan on it, else I have to take a crash course from Kiren Rijiju if I enter MEA :P

Are all Chakma refugees - buddhists - or is it like Buddhist refugees are called Chakma's?

AFAIK ,you can take course from dean of FSI :P
    back to Square 1
  • @aamengineer

If you write security alone you will end up with 38 in GS2 like me =)) If you write political, economic and sociological factors who will be GA or Neha Jain :-bd
    omg, you are right!!!! all angles has to be seen ^:)^
    back to Square 1
  • well the biggest threat is Existential, Bodos who were the majority in the past under the Ahom's are now a minority it their ancestral land. It is purely demographic destabilisation - Rajbhonshis, Migrants Bengalis, Biharis and Odiya people to plains.

i think ahom is not a tribal community, it has sattriya classical dance, and probably follow caste system..
    rajbonshi's should be linked with west bengal...if i am not wrong..sounds like bengali
    @aamengineer, Ahoms are tribal community but not 'scheduled'. There is no caste system among the Ahoms, though majority of them are Hindus. The so called Satriya Dance(Xatriya in Assamese) developed because of many factors. Srimanta Sankardev, a Vaishnavite saint helped in the evolution of Xatriya. He was a non-Ahom.
  • ^ lots of things are cleared now. Thanks.
    back to Square 1
  • @Mooreeze

@Thor, the Muslim migrants of Bangladesh are Bengalis, non-tribal community. Chakmas and Hajongs are tribal migrants/refugees from Bangladesh's Chittagong Hills tract. Chakmas are Buddhists. Hajongs are mainly animists, now partly Hindu.

This clears the air? ;;)
  • @Mooreeze seems you have lots of knowledge in this area. Can you further explain whether maoists have influence in NE region? Is red corridor spreading there? whats your say on this?
    back to Square 1
  • edited December 2014
    @Mooreeze seems you have lots of knowledge in this area. Can you further explain whether maoists have influence in NE region? Is red corridor spreading there? whats your say on this?
    As of now, the followers of Mao Tse Tung have not been successful in painting the North East red. NE has its own home grown insurgents fighting their own fights.

Maoism has little to do with North East and its politics. Maoism(also Naxalism[Charu Mazumdar, sorry] in Indian milieu) took its root on land issues. NE people are secured in this respect. There is no common meeting point in them, unless dictated by their inherent desire to go berserk against the State.

Yet, one cant afford to wait for the moment for these elements to join hands. Addressing the issue by means of political dialogue seems to be the best bet.
  • its good to know that mao's communist ideology didnt spread to NE and hope in future too it wont spread there. Govt should take immediate steps to curb the regional insurgencies as well as bring development in those areas.. and also take measures to defend the frontiers as well as the chicken's neck corridor.
    back to Square 1
  • demand for roman script is also an issue , majority of the bodos r converted christians by the missionaries....who demand a roman script in place of the devnagiri script.....missionaries have supported the bodos with arms n finances also.....
  • @Mooreeze @Thor
    its such a good thread..
    Lot of Gyan :)
  • Ye hua naa upsc level thread..
    This account's purpose has been served. Carry on.
  • one the issue is to curb the siphoning off the govt money (meant for devp.) to the insurgent. This never happens in JnK.
    मैं खड़ा हूँ उसी दोराहे पे, आज भी इंतज़ार में तेरे !
    या तो ज़िन्दगी आये तेरे लिबास में! या मैं चलूँ फिरदौस की तलाश में !!
  • Man of the Night's Watch
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly