ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details

[Net Neutrality] Do this & Save the Internet from greedy Telecos

edited April 2015 in Current Affairs
Update for 12-04-2015 : http://forumias.com/discussion/comment/409507#Comment_409507

Be Careful People! Christmas Gift from Airtel. You can burn up your balance in no time or rake up bills worth LAKHS.
Airtel on Wednesday said that it will charge for VoIP calls at standard rate of 4 paise per 10 KB on 3G network and 10 paise per 10 KB on 2G network

Based on standard rates, usage of each GB of data for VoIP on 3G network will cost about Rs 4,000 and while the same on 2G network will cost about Rs.10,000.

Government will look into Bharti Airtel Ltd’s plan to charge separately for Internet call services (VoIP) offered by apps like Skype, Viber and Line that will cost up to Rs.10,000 per GB on 2G network and up to Rs.4,000 per GB on 3G network to a user.
Read more at: http://www.livemint.com/Page/Id/2.2.3487986135?utm_source=copy

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Industry/voice-calls-through-airtels-mobile-internet/article6722804.ece
Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...

Comments

• edited December 2014
    I'm going to finish off my data balance somehow and NEVER buy anything from them.

Then, I'll simply maintain minimum balance to accept incoming calls. If they start charging, there is always MNP. :D

RIP Airtel. It was nice knowing you.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • wtf i am using airtel....
    back to Square 1
  • edited December 2014
    Airtel has taken the first step in violating net neutralityin India. Where data usage needs to be encouraged to bridge the digital divide, Airtel has taken a regressive step. Their 3G rates are still among the costliest and on top of that the decision to charge VOIP calls.

Though I read somewhere that you can escape their Deep Packet Inspection by using a VPN service to encrypt the data.
  • is it applicable to the 3G system of internet connection as well?

I have been using an Airtel 3g dongle for last 6 months,the rates are costly enough! :P
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • So now,

1. They'll snoop on the data to identify its nature
    2. They'll charge extra for internet usage even though I have a data recharge
    3. The list of services isn't out yet
    4. We never got any intimation from the company

Nice move Airtel. It'll certainly boost the Indian economy and your balance sheets! (You wish) L-)

I have been using an Airtel 3g dongle for last 6 months,the rates are costly enough! :P
    Yes, applicable on both 2G and 3G

no firm can change rates without giving intimation to it's customers priorly.

i do not know how airtel is proceeding in this manner.!

they will have troubles for sure. :O
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • techno-challenged alert ....

I have no idea what this all means ... I am just seeing lots of zeros .. can anyone explain what this means for me ? ... I have an airtel broadband WiFi connection
  • edited December 2014
    is it applicable to the 3G system of internet connection as well?

no firm can change rates without giving intimation to it's customers priorly.

i do not know how airtel is proceeding in this manner.!

they will have troubles for sure. :O
    I sincerely hope they are. X( I feel cheated.

• edited December 2014
    @geeta Net Neutrality means ISPs has to treat all the data traffic equally i.e. No discrimination between VOIP traffic and Data traffic. It cannot extend favourable treatment to users browsing a particular site lets say, Due to an agreement of Airtel with youtube, Airtel users will be able to watch videos without buffering at full speed and in another case airtel users face buffering while watching videos on DailyMotion due to non existent agreement with airtel.

In this case, Airtel will use Deep Packet Inspection technology to scan for VOIP traffic and will charge you for that. That is airtel will not treat the data traffic as data but as VOIP.

You can read the Comcast-Netflix deal where Netflix(Video Streaming Service) paid Comcast(US ISP) to not throttle their data traffic.
  • Would this involve the Competition Commission of India (CCI)?
  • edited December 2014
    @UjjalBharat

got it .... thanks for explaining it in simple, for-dummies terms :)

so I guess its bye bye to airtel ... I am already paying a ridiculous amount every month ... if the bill increases , my parents will disown me ... the problem is that even though airtel is expensive, there is no other reliable alternative
  • @ArindamSarkar Nope. It is not anti competitive I think to involve the CCI. They are within their right to increase their price. Though this might involve the Department of Telecom with regard to discriminating Net traffic.
  • @ArindamSarkar Nope. It is not anti competitive I think to involve the CCI. They are within their right to increase their price. Though this might involve the Department of Telecom with regard to discriminating Net traffic.
    No. Airtel voice and SMS competing with VoIP players. Charging such high rates for VoIP is effectively going to keep people form even imagining to use these VoIP services on Airtel. That way it should involve CCI, right? DoT is certainly involved.
  • There was a conference organized by TRAI in August this year to consider revenue sharing model for OTT apps with Telecom companies. The telecos argue that the OTT apps are hogging data bandwidth without any significant returns and drop in SMS and call revenue. The OTT guys argue this is a natural tonga-lossing-to-taxi evolution of consumer choices.

The increase by Airtel is totally unfair on consumers. The entire concept of "Data Ecosystem" is drawing upon us and we look nowhere prepared to face it.

This might throw some light on where things are heading in the long term

http://broadmind.nationalinterest.in/2014/11/10/store-in-india/
    MA Political Science | Geography Optional | Mains 2011, 2012 | Precocious | Lived long enough to become the villain |
  • TRAI should step in. And this is really a regressive way to raise revenues. Airtel has always been like this. And as @Geeta said , can anyone confirm if one has to pay separately for VoIP if he/she is using airtel broadband wifi.
    Hesitating to act because the whole vision might not be achieved, or because others do not yet share it, is an attitude that only hinders progress.
  • TRAI should step in. And this is really a regressive way to raise revenues. Airtel has always been like this. And as @Geeta said , can anyone confirm if one has to pay separately for VoIP if he/she is using airtel broadband wifi.
    Same question. No info.
  • And the pirate bay has been struck down. The SOPA PIPA stuff is really irritating. If we are moving towards an era where every dot that we type will be tracked- 1984esque.
    Hesitating to act because the whole vision might not be achieved, or because others do not yet share it, is an attitude that only hinders progress.
  • Let's just see how the new government handles this. Thousands of people must be blood-boiling-level pissed off.
    In times of universal deceit,telling the truth is a revolutionary act!
  • apne liye toh BSNL zindabaad... "Connecting India" :P
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies.
  • What else should I say now, I just got my reliance number PORTED to AIRTEL ! X(
  • What else should I say now, I just got my reliance number PORTED to AIRTEL ! X(
    congratulations :P
    ROFLMAO =)) (Sorry)
  • i have not used voip.can someone tell what is average 1 min data consumption in voip?
  • edited December 2014
    @geeta Net Neutrality means ISPs has to treat all the data traffic equally i.e. No discrimination between VOIP traffic and Data traffic. It cannot extend favourable treatment to users browsing a particular site lets say, Due to an agreement of Airtel with youtube, Airtel users will be able to watch videos without buffering at full speed and in another case airtel users face buffering while watching videos on DailyMotion due to non existent agreement with airtel.

In this case, Airtel will use Deep Packet Inspection technology to scan for VOIP traffic and will charge you for that. That is airtel will not treat the data traffic as data but as VOIP.

You can read the Comcast-Netflix deal where Netflix(Video Streaming Service) paid Comcast(US ISP) to not throttle their data traffic.
    Thanks for clearing...can u please elaborate more...how to know which videos sites are considered voip by airtel? I am getting 2 times higher bills from last months...
    back to Square 1
  • edited December 2014
    I'm going to finish off my data balance somehow and NEVER buy anything from them.
    Then, I'll simply maintain minimum balance to accept incoming calls. If they start charging, there is always MNP. :D
    RIP Airtel. It was nice knowing you.
    Reliance never stopped gorging upon my balance in the name of VAS(value added services). I tried all the options to get rid of it. I even sent essay like sarcastic emails to their officers but in vain.

Its been more than a year ,I never recharged my main balance,

i simply use the minute packs now. :)
  • BSNL is the only trustworthy one that I can vouch for as far as charges go; service quality is a whole different thing, though.
  • this is why connectivity does not improve in the country. rather than reaching down the pyramid (like the mobile companies did) , it is becoming a luxury item .

.. I pay 1700 a month for moderate speed that simply seems to vanish by the middle of the month ... i have absolutely no doubt that they mess up my billing .... and the rest of the month I am forced to chug along with 90s era speed.
  • @geeta Net Neutrality means ISPs has to treat all the data traffic equally i.e. No discrimination between VOIP traffic and Data traffic. It cannot extend favourable treatment to users browsing a particular site lets say, Due to an agreement of Airtel with youtube, Airtel users will be able to watch videos without buffering at full speed and in another case airtel users face buffering while watching videos on DailyMotion due to non existent agreement with airtel.

Thanks for clearing...can u please elaborate more...how to know which videos sites are considered voip by airtel? I am getting 2 times higher bills from last months...
    Bro. Videos are not considered as VOIP. I have just used it as an instance to highlight the violation of NN.

VOIP is voice traffic i.e. when you use apps like Skype, Viber, Line, KakaoTalk(my personal favourite) to talk for free with your friends over 2G/3G connection.

Can you elaborate? How you are being charged more and which ISP is yours?
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog