We are hiring!

[CSE 2014] Unified Interview (PT) Preparation Thread (under one roof)

edited December 2014 in Interview Preparation
Mains is over. You have some idea as to whether you've bombed mains or not.

So, all overconfident / confident aspirants are requested to join here to discuss about the interview.

This thread is being created by popular demand. Don't pull my leg if I flunk out at mains itself. Somebody has to bite the bullet.

Let's begin.

Important data :
http://forumias.com/discussion/comment/206931#Comment_206931
http://forumias.com/discussion/comment/206976#Comment_206976
Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...

Comments

• it would be of great help for GS too for next prelims and mains including personal questions asked in ethics
    back to Square 1
  • it would be of great help for GS too for next prelims and mains including personal questions asked in ethics
    +1
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
    bro, how was your mains?
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • i have a important query

1. for people who have done post graduation, should they focus on their post graduation subjects or core graduation subject?
    i have done my b.tech in biotechnology way back in 2007.i hardly remember anything from those years,also i have no specific books on those subjects.the other day, i asked one of my friends about some graduation topics,he gave me very dirty look. :-O

will be tough for me if graduation level questions are thrown at interview(if by some miracle i clear mains)
  • @ArindamSarkar, is it not the PT for 2014 itself, as opposed to 2015? It's no big deal, but you know, just asking.
  • @ArindamSarkar, is it not the PT for 2014 itself, as opposed to 2015? It's no big deal, but you know, just asking.
    Mea culpa. Thanks. Fixing now. :)
  • edited December 2014
    i think they focus on the latest ones..if done PG then its specialization subject plus if u hv job they will focus on that..

i too have one question : whether all IFS aspirants are asked atleast few IR questions or not?
    back to Square 1

1. for people who have done post graduation, should they focus on their post graduation subjects or core graduation subject?
    i have done my b.tech in biotechnology way back in 2007.i hardly remember anything from those years,also i have no specific books on those subjects.the other day, i asked one of my friends about some graduation topics,he gave me very dirty look. :-O

will be tough for me if graduation level questions are thrown at interview(if by some miracle i clear mains)
    See there is no set Criteria. What they ask?? Why they ask??
    In CSE 2013 I prepared well on Political Science because I'm a Political Science (hons) that too from Hindu College, Delhi University. But David Sir asked me about the reason behind Hindu and Stephens rivalry and what is the name of the road that goes in between them.

So you never know...
    कर लेते है बर्दाश्त हर दर्द इसी आस के साथ,
    कि खुदा नूर भी बरसाता है, आज़माइशो के बाद........
  • @Neanderthal @sananthan Please come back and help us. We know you're reading this. If you have time - help us out. :)
  • @mrlobo we should know at least the very basics about what we have read till now. Don't go after too many details. The applied part of each subject usually attract anybody's attention
    CSE 2013 Interview Geo | CSE 2014 Mains Pub Ad
  • Thanks for starting this topic. I completed my engineering in 2005 in CS. Working in Bangalore MNC. I do have question regarding study backgrounds questions. Also my home state is UP, did engineering from Rajasthan and from last 9 years working in bangalore. Can they ask questions from all three states?
  • Sometimes they don't ask any question from regions... But when they do it was like (Personal experience).... U are from UP and ur Mother hails from Patna then u must hv visited ur Nanis house... Tell us some historical monuments there... It's a broad broad field then u must prepare some monumental places on all three...
    कर लेते है बर्दाश्त हर दर्द इसी आस के साथ,
    कि खुदा नूर भी बरसाता है, आज़माइशो के बाद........
  • edited December 2014
    Definitely subject knowledge , based on graduation , can be a fishing area for UPSC . So try to brush up that too. It wont be much appreciated if you cant remember your Grad or Post Grad subject knowledge .

Asking questions is absolutely under UPSC's discretion , so candidates who had chosen irrespective of their Service preference can expect anything . Eg : if IFS was opted , they could grill you with just regional or cultural questions . And if you'd chosen IPS , they can keep asking you about Foreign relations ..

Hope its understood :)>-
    2017--> 8th attempt
  • @Vibin so you mean one have to be prepared from IAS point of view, domestic as well as IR...will be like preparing for GS-mains
    back to Square 1
  • Arguably , yes @aamengineer .. :)
    2017--> 8th attempt
  • I request the veterans to provide some input on the road ahead, especially for the new people like me..

Also, I think we can make small groups of people with similar backgrounds to strategize and prepare together.. I for one have the run off the mill track record as follows..
    Mechanical engineering
    Worked in IT sector
    MBA
    Then worked in the core sector - Left job to prepare full time..
    Optional = Sociology
    People with similar profiles can ping me or create another thread, if like the idea.. Also, I am residing in Delhi, so anybody wants to join me for combined preparation, he/she is cordially invited..
    Other ideas are also welcomed..

Note: I think, we do not have much time before interviews.. If any body is even half confident of clearing the mains, he/she should not wait for the results to start preparations for the interview..
    Andhera chatega! suraj niklega! kamal khilega!

In CSE 2013 I prepared well on Political Science because I'm a Political Science (hons) that too from Hindu College, Delhi University. But David Sir asked me about the reason behind Hindu and Stephens rivalry and what is the name of the road that goes in between them.

So you never know...
    i am not asking about intimacies of the process nor i am asking to dissect the logic behind the questions asked,just wanted to know whether whole of graduation syllabus has to be covered,which would be difficult to assess.

So you never know...
    i am not asking about intimacies of the process nor i am asking to dissect the logic behind the questions asked,just wanted to know whether whole of graduation syllabus has to be covered,which would be difficult to assess.
    From the common sense I can tell this (based on all my MBA interviews..)
    No body knows about your specialization in detail.. Hence the possible questions would be - what a generalist may ask or be interested in knowing.. For ex - for mechanical engineering they may ask about engines, or thermal power plants, UPMPPs etc.. Or practical problems like why after 1 month of rusting, my bike does not starts in the first kick..
    Or policy problems.. No need to revise theories at all..
    Ofcourse, I am not a veteran in UPSC.. so this is my personal opinion..
    Andhera chatega! suraj niklega! kamal khilega!
  • @guest

i got the feel..thanks
  • To all who has attended UPSC interview, help us/me with these.

1. Is it mandatory to tie that rope, ermm... yes. necktie for the interview?

2. Are they generally cordial as has been said many times or was said to state something otherwise?

I'm scared of David Syiemlieh. That lanky gentleman has the knack of asking simple things while making the other person freeze.

PS: My mains was terrible. I dont know why did I even put up these questions. :-/
  • tie is not mandatory..at least i know someone who cleared cse without using a tie in his interview some years back..
  • ^Thank you.
  • edited December 2014
    i think they focus on the latest ones..if done PG then its specialization subject plus if u hv job they will focus on that..

i too have one question : whether all IFS aspirants are asked atleast few IR questions or not?
    @aamengineer
    Bhai my option was IFS last year and they asked me a lot of IR questions
    india-central asian relation was one of them but there were more polity nd domestic issues ques than on IR
    also I've observed it doesn't matter what ur 1st option is der will be question from both IR nd domestic issues
    Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax)
  • I request the veterans to provide some input on the road ahead, especially for the new people like me..

Also, I think we can make small groups of people with similar backgrounds to strategize and prepare together.. I for one have the run off the mill track record as follows..
    Mechanical engineering
    Worked in IT sector
    MBA
    Then worked in the core sector - Left job to prepare full time..
    Optional = Sociology
    People with similar profiles can ping me or create another thread, if like the idea.. Also, I am residing in Delhi, so anybody wants to join me for combined preparation, he/she is cordially invited..
    Other ideas are also welcomed..

Note: I think, we do not have much time before interviews.. If any body is even half confident of clearing the mains, he/she should not wait for the results to start preparations for the interview..
    Don't worry normally dey don't ask much on ur optional until unless it's ur subject of specialization
    Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax)
  • can anyone make a list of upsc board members and their profiles ...also dos and donts
    back to Square 1
  • i can tell one thing for sure for the guys- do not ever show your paunch/belly ,if you can not reduce it,please suck it inside for those 30 minutes of the interview time. :P
  • 1st thing is to prepare ur DAF well and at microscopic level....each n every word can be a part of a question...
    Like city kanpur

Then historical significance... industry..problems
    Other connected cities..IIT etc etc
    आ नो भद्राः क्रतवो यन्तु विश्वतः
  • Interview is not brainstorm ing these days...presence of mind and telling truth is key \m/
  • Those in job let say railways...
    New projects
    North east expansion
    Safety issues
    Name of CRB ur GM etc..
    Ur role
    Can work on these lines
  • Ultimately ...be patient clear n confident..even though u dont answer many questions... n dont guess.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly