Current Affairs Revision Classes + Answer Writing For Mains 2019 
the one class you can bank upon to ace Mains 2019
Don't just believe what we say, your first class is on us. Attend by registering HERE
STARTS 24th June | 5 PM

Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

The hindu = 3rd ARC

edited November 2014 in Current Affairs
Why the hell The Hindu is stressing so much on Civil service reform, today again one more article on front page. Why does N. Ram want its readership to go down. its vry frustrating for ppl like me who are at their 30
मैं खड़ा हूँ उसी दोराहे पे, आज भी इंतज़ार में तेरे !
या तो ज़िन्दगी आये तेरे लिबास में! या मैं चलूँ फिरदौस की तलाश में !!

Comments

• It is a paper run by a south indian Brahmin family.
  • Its just a newspaper, not the govt.Let them stress on whatever reform they want.Nothing is going to happen.

Govt doesn't works on the whims and fancies of a newspaper.A govt knows that such decisions are not taken in haste and on the behest of a newspaper publishing random reports.

If english can stir up protests on such a scale that govt is forced to come out with changes then can you imagine the protests it would have to face over such a rash and sudden change in age.

Just relax and prepare.
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • ya , LuV is rt, the hindu ke bolne se kuch nhi hoga, ye democracy hai , janta tay karegi ki kya hoga , bhul gaye The hindu ne anti Modi campaign chala rakha tha , har roz 1-2 article modi bashing par hoti thhi with all that usual 2002 rhetoric.....but still modi won :)
    but....but.. The Hindu is very 'anti-hindu'.
    never mind.
  • I just see a lot of deterioration in the content once Siddarth Varadarajan has left the chief editor's post.

If this is what was expected, I still don't understand why he was let go. Office politics maybe but seriously why should one be bothered about what goldman sachs thinks about Indian Civil Services.

Do the goddamn Americans ever think of Iraqis, Syrians on the ground before making their board room decisions even - to come and suggest us something :-q
    Mankind was corrupt from the time of Adam & eve, why complain now :) || कांथर हुनु भन्दा मर्नु राम्रो || वीर भोग्या वसुंधरा
  • LOL The Hindu = 3rd ARC ... :D It is definitely behaving that way
  • edited November 2014
    The Hindu know their reputation is at stake , from the moment when they realized their news on age relaxation had turn to be a farce . So they need their good will back at any cost . And now they keep stressing on Civil Service Reforms , as if they influence Govt policies.

Poor The Hindu they didnt know the damage they'd already committed . Forgive them Lord , for they have sinned ;)
    2017--> 8th attempt
  • On what basis do they talk about lowering the age limit drastically? India is a country where majority of the rural junta starts their education late and then deal with things like repeating the classes ,missing an year or two of school because of problems at home. You just cant ignore these facts and just harp on about young blood and shit.
  • Its called face saving exercise. Irrespective of the merits/demerits of the proposal and bringing the clear stance of government before the public (albeit inadvertently) , they cant reconcile with the fact that what they had published was without ascertaining the actual position/reality and are now harping on a report which was published 6 years back just to make a point. Better would have been to publish a small regret message but then its the 4th pillar. Its not in their blood.

1 thing is very clear. Media is a very powerful instrument and they go to any extent to impress their opinion, prejudices be it hindu, ToI or some other paper/channel. After all they are also controlled by fallible humans. Sometimes I wonder how much truth is there in what we read in history and how much peppering. It has been rightly said, even god cant change the history but man can. Likewise what media will show you becomes the truth. Nothing else matters.
  • Don't worry if for CSAT aspirants can have 2 months dharna think about what would happen after a sudden change like the age reduction on such a steep scale :(
    The Law of Detachment - be equanimous to both victories and defeats
  • ethics ka 1 concept jaan lo - function of attitude - one function is ego defensive - when the hindu committed a mistake, to defend their ego, they r coming up with articles that endorses the view in "that mistake" :)
  • Its called face saving exercise. Irrespective of the merits/demerits of the proposal and bringing the clear stance of government before the public (albeit inadvertently) , they cant reconcile with the fact that what they had published was without ascertaining the actual position/reality and are now harping on a report which was published 6 years back just to make a point. Better would have been to publish a small regret message but then its the 4th pillar. Its not in their blood.

1 thing is very clear. Media is a very powerful instrument and they go to any extent to impress their opinion, prejudices be it hindu, ToI or some other paper/channel. After all they are also controlled by fallible humans. Sometimes I wonder how much truth is there in what we read in history and how much peppering. It has been rightly said, even god cant change the history but man can. Likewise what media will show you becomes the truth. Nothing else matters.
    Political science at work
    Gramsci's manufacturing the consent a.k.a hegemony,

Foccault's Regimes of truth,

Post Modernists critique of modernism.

:-w :bz
    In times of universal deceit,telling the truth is a revolutionary act!
  • In this case, I think the Hindu was just reporting a Goldman Sachs report on giving importance to merit rather than seniority in civil services. Kya galat kaha hai bhai ?
  • ^ Debatable issue hai bhai,
    Rounding off karke median age pe baat laoge to answer to age reduction hi hoga na.
    Does merit depends on age?-NOPE
    Does seniority depends on age?-NOPE
    But the top post depends on the age at the time of appointmnt .Lesser the age,more the chances to get appointed at the top post.

So in a way Hindu is talking in our side.Make the appointmt on the basis of merit rather than seniority.
    I think it is going with that MEDIAN path itself.
    In times of universal deceit,telling the truth is a revolutionary act!
  • I think the issue is not about age of entry. It is about the age at which senior level decision making posts are filled. If lateral entry is introduced, and good performers among career bureaucrats are rewarded with faster promotions, there is no reason why top level posts (Secy level) cannot be filled with people with 20-25 years of experience. Right now, even if someone is an excellent performer, he/she has to wait for 34 years to reach policy making levels. Unfortunately, if he/she has entered the service at a later age (for whatever reason), he/she will never reach this position.
    with possible consanguineous ties with Srilankan prime minister and left wing extremists.
    Cmon...i aint gonna bite you
  • i have been on The Hindu for may years and still & IE i have started few months back, but i found IE more balanced but The Hindu is like a bad habit ;)
    मैं खड़ा हूँ उसी दोराहे पे, आज भी इंतज़ार में तेरे !
    या तो ज़िन्दगी आये तेरे लिबास में! या मैं चलूँ फिरदौस की तलाश में !!
  • i have been on The Hindu for may years and still & IE i have started few months back, but i found IE more balanced but The Hindu is like a bad habit ;)
    ditto

• Should not we use newspapers like hindu or ie only for reading editorials and some columns as all important news are already covered in magazines and other coaching materials .
  • @PongadaDei So? What's your point?
  • edited November 2014
    It is a family run Business. Their readership is demographically skewed. They would write what their readers would like to read. We shouldn't take them very seriously. They will be least bothered about certain sections of the society. Their kith and kin won't be affected by this age reduction.

That's my opinion.
  • Is govt really going to reduce attempts and age limit for cse2015..
    PLZ CLARIFY... such news distracts a lot...
  • Is govt really going to reduce attempts and age limit for cse2015..
    PLZ CLARIFY... such news distracts a lot...
    http://forumias.com/discussion/6263/clarification-no-age-reduction-by-government-for-cse-2015/p1
  • It is a family run Business. Their readership is demographically skewed. They would write what their readers would like to read. We shouldn't take them very seriously. They will be least bothered about certain sections of the society. Their kith and kin won't be affected by this age reduction.

That's my opinion.
    I find so many things that are flawed in your argument. Your argument seems to have so many dubious assumptions: 1) The Hindu is carrying forward its agenda by carrying these news items 2) People from a particular community constitute a major proportion of the total readership of 'The Hindu' 3) People from this community are unaffected by the age reduction (How is this possible when the General Category age limit is also proposed to be reduced?)

Also, by your logic, if The Hindu will take a stance to appease members of its own community, I do not think they will be constantly accused of being left-leaning and anti-Hindu because of the news items/opinions that they carry. To infer that The Hindu is doing this to appeal to a large section of its readers is extremely far-fetched. In fact, considering that most, if not all civil services aspirants religiously read 'The Hindu', I don't see how the newspaper will think that its readers would like to see such news items.

Accusing the newspaper of pandering to a certain community's interests just because something carried by it is unpalatable to you only betrays a warped mindset and intolerant outlook, in my opinion.
  • edited November 2014
    @catasp247 point is simple, brahmins dont need any concessions but people who were oppressed by the varna system brought by those vedic times gods children(lol) desperately need some relaxations .
    If god did not forgive sinners, heaven would be empty.
  • friends why not form a group for 2015 UPSC and study together .... not more than 10 friends ... what u all said ??
    if agree reply me on pm
  • As govt has cleared its stance on this whole issue so debating it further would be just wasting our precious time.
    Hence, this thread is closed.
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
This discussion has been closed.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly