‘Microbial toxins found in popular e-cigarettes’ In a first, NASA probe detects ‘marsquake’ on the Red Planet HC lifts ban on TikTok, but with a caveat IEPF Authority in a major success recovers Rs 1514 Cr of Depositors Money Madras High Court bats for extending legal abortion period upto 24 weeks
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims From 2011-18 | Read Here→

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

CSAT Q 76,77 Not Attempted

edited August 2014 in SSC
I was given to understand that the English section which was supposed to be not attempted had 9 questions. Thats the usual format; thats the way it was reported everywhere as well - 9 questions, 22.5 marks
I answered question 69 (Booklet A) and jumped to Question 78 thinking that was the new section. Thus I missed Q 76,77 which were THE EASIEST QUESTIONS possible.
I am so frustrated because there was no demarcation at all and the English section was shortened to 6 questions.
As it is, UPSC #%@$# this up by changing stuff at the last minute and having a question paper for an elite exam where certain questions had to be skipped. On top of that, they shortened the section which means students like me left questions unanswered without realising it. 5 free marks gone to waste.
I am so god damn frustrated and irritated with UPSC I want to break my head against the wall.
Is there anyone else who made this mistake like I did? I feel like going to Parliament and protesting and burning some buses myself now. Based on what I've seen so far, thats the sort of stuff they encourage potential bureaucrats of India to do in order to get heard. (relax, im being sarcastic...mostly...)

Comments

• edited August 2014
    No where in the updated notification or the announcement on PIB is it mentioned that 9 questions will not be counted. Only the news channels were saying that, and they have no issues in proceeding with half-baked information.

UPSC only said that English language comprehension questions will not be counted towards merit, they did not give the number of such questions.
  • I was given to understand that the English section which was supposed to be not attempted had 9 questions. Thats the usual format; thats the way it was reported everywhere as well - 9 questions, 22.5 marks
    I answered question 69 (Booklet A) and jumped to Question 78 thinking that was the new section. Thus I missed Q 76,77 which were THE EASIEST QUESTIONS possible.
    I am so frustrated because there was no demarcation at all and the English section was shortened to 6 questions.
    As it is, UPSC fucked this up by changing stuff at the last minute and having a question paper for an elite exam where certain questions had to be skipped. On top of that, they shortened the section which means students like me left questions unanswered without realising it. 5 free marks gone to waste.
    I am so god damn frustrated and irritated with UPSC I want to break my head against the wall.
    Is there anyone else who made this mistake like I did? I feel like going to Parliament and protesting and burning some buses myself now. Based on what I've seen so far, thats the sort of stuff they encourage potential bureaucrats of India to do in order to get heard. (relax, im being sarcastic...mostly...)

rule no. 1:: expect the unexpected
    rule no.2::::if u dont follow the first,Dont prepare.
    In times of universal deceit,telling the truth is a revolutionary act!
  • @Stardust
    Yeah I'm aware that thats what the PIB notification said; I'm not claiming otherwise.
    I'm just saying that the least they could have done was mentioned during the exam explicitly that it was just 6 questions to be skipped.
    They were conducting an elite exam in a really weird way already with last minute half baked changes.
    If it wasn't for this weird system, I wouldn't have skipped 2 of the simplest questions in the paper. Technically, yes, the instructions were correct.
    I'm still VERY justified I think, in blaming UPSC for this mess in general and the fact that it resulted in further confusion during the exam and caused quite a few students to skip simple questions.
    If it wasn't for such a random rule like skip a section, my mistake wouldn't have happened. Am I unjustified in expecting the elite exam in India to set a question paper in a better way. If you don't have time to reprint the question paper, DONT CHANGE THE PAPER AT THE LAST MINUTE damnit.
    In an exam where 5-10 marks can make all the difference, I'm sure you can appreciate how frustrating it is to lose marks because of things like this.
  • @Stardust
    Yeah I'm aware that thats what the PIB notification said; I'm not claiming otherwise.
    I'm just saying that the least they could have done was mentioned during the exam explicitly that it was just 6 questions to be skipped.
    They were conducting an elite exam in a really weird way already with last minute half baked changes.
    If it wasn't for this weird system, I wouldn't have skipped 2 of the simplest questions in the paper. Technically, yes, the instructions were correct.
    I'm still VERY justified I think, in blaming UPSC for this mess in general and the fact that it resulted in further confusion during the exam and caused quite a few students to skip simple questions.
    If it wasn't for such a random rule like skip a section, my mistake wouldn't have happened. Am I unjustified in expecting the elite exam in India to set a question paper in a better way. If you don't have time to reprint the question paper, DONT CHANGE THE PAPER AT THE LAST MINUTE damnit.
    In an exam where 5-10 marks can make all the difference, I'm sure you can appreciate how frustrating it is to lose marks because of things like this.
    I too missed those 2 and worst part is I had 2 mins in hand and I was busy dreaming about what I would munch on tonight:-S

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
  • I spen
    @Stardust
    I too missed those 2 and worst part is I had 2 mins in hand and I was busy dreaming about what I would munch on tonight:-S

I feel you brother. Those were 15 second questions!! I had 15-20 minutes in hand and just spent it endlessly re-reading some of the RC questions I had doubts in. Aaargh.
  • I know I literally punched myself like 5 marks gone plus I marked one wrong the question on path from s to t which was 18 so 7.5 marks gone.Im getting around 142 now,150 ata toh mental barrier cross karta.Total 228 is doubtful I feel,but I have decided to start my fav subject ie history optional.Pass/fail will help either ways :-D
  • 228 is definitely cleared I think. Rest easy. No way 228/385 will fail when last years cut off was 241/400. Everyone has done worse this year compared to last year.
    I have 218-220 and am a little hopeful. I think cutoff will be 210-220. Worst case scenario - 225.
  • 228 is definitely cleared I think. Rest easy. No way 228/385 will fail when last years cut off was 241/400. Everyone has done worse this year compared to last year.
    I have 218-220 and am a little hopeful. I think cutoff will be 210-220. Worst case scenario - 225.
    hope we all clear,lets pray for a low cut off and start our mains prep,super excited,wow I love my optional!

Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google