MITRA'S IAS - PHILOSOPHY   FRESH BATCH BEGINS WITH FREE SEMINAR:5TH JAN'19 @ 11 AM
MITRASIAS: 39 PUSA ROAD SAMAYAK TOWER OPP. METRO PILLAR 120
Further Details Please Call us: 01145505509

Insights Test series Review needed

edited August 2014 in Miscellaneous
Hello, I am planning to join Insights Test series 2015, conducted by insightsonindia.com. Seniors, who have taken their tests, please review it.
Kindly suggest alternatives, if you think there are better ones than Insights tests. Alternatives could be online tests by other coaching centres.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    @Devika I will try to be short and straight-

Insights test series is one of the best test series for prelims (GS 1) , The only problem was its availablity in pdf format only, so you can't compare your performance with other aspirants.

Apart from Insights, you can go for gktoday.in. But I will recommend you to join both of them as they complete each other rather than replacing each other.
  • you get 2 in 1 benefit..

one- very good questions. sometimes lengthier. covers the syllabus comprehensively
    two- you get readymade notes and links in the solution pdf provided. superb! in total around 800 pages of explanation
    Mai to Commitment karne ke Baad bhi Apni NAHI Suntaa.. :/
  • Hello, I am planning to join Insights Test series 2015, conducted by insightsonindia.com. Seniors, who have taken their tests, please review it.
    Kindly suggest alternatives, if you think there are better ones than Insights tests. Alternatives could be online tests by other coaching centres.
    Extremely helpful in preparation and have great focus on basics, NCERT
  • So, Do you suggest both Gktoday and Insights tests? I also find Forumias has a test series. Review please
  • I attempted 2. hated it.

too much focus on India year book. and some questions were so absurd - they would just pick up a line from a recommended text and ask true or false when the line was an opinion not an actual fact!

I did the free test offered by firumias . that was decent.
  • The test series by insights is one of the best ones available right now and the cost is also reasonable .

Their questions were good and I liked their idea of carving out tests from NCERTs .Its only due to this series that I was able to complete the relevant NCERTs .It provided the much needed motivation to complete NCERTs .

I will surely join their 2015 series too and this time they are starting early .I think around September they will start a Prelim test series .Any sincere aspirant should definitely join this test series .
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • So, Do you suggest both Gktoday and Insights tests? I also find Forumias has a test series. Review please
    @Devika Yes, I do recommend both gktoday and insights test series. As far as Forumias test series for pre 2014 is concerned, i found it of very poor standard. It lacks seriousness on the part of content developers. No proper solutions were there. I do not recommend it to anyone.
  • Golden !

2-3 Revisions of their 21 papers will teach you a lot. If this time they are starting early then will join again. :)
  • Insights tests are good and so is GKToday !!

There was a live test yesterday .. and I scored 114/200 !! :)
    Indian Foreign Service | Career Diplomat
  • Insights tests are good and so is GKToday !!

There was a live test yesterday .. and I scored 114/200 !! :)
    It is excluding negative marks right ? I scored 110 but they did not account wrong answers
  • Insights tests series questions are just 1 notch above UPSC but give good practice for prelims....
  • Very useful and felt like giving the real exam. Thanks a lot
  • It helpd me a lot in actually undastandin hw ques cn b askd frm ncert! Kudos to the team!
    Bye
  • nice tests. it covers ncerts thoroughly and helpful in building up mp. concepts.
  • I got 65 correct in online test 130 but I think may be 20-25 wrong cause I approximately left 10-15 unanswered.
    Any way so could we know for sure?
    UPSC civil services examination is coming closer, and my struggle continues. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at study table. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Civil Services, for this day and all the days to come.........
  • Wonderful Test series.They have taken lot of pains to explain all the things.You would get command over NCERT as well as all Standard Books usually followed by IAS aaspirants.In short one stop destination for test series
  • Hello..
    InsightsTestSeries 2014 has been one of THE BEST. This Test series alone will give you much needed strong Basics Foundation and confidence :)

Worth mentioning.. not each paper but each question is hallmark to excellence and Simplicity. All the endeavours taken up are made so refreshing that learning is a joy. Credits to their selfless Devotion (yes I could say Self Less just visit the site and you would know!) and always "on their toes" attitude for the IAS aspirants. And they a have been very open and active about the feedback aspirants have had given I must say.

A Big Humble Thanks to The Author of insightsonindia.com and its team.

P.S. - Other test series that I joined and know about area also good, but does not focus exclusively on the fundamental and core basics.
  • I would rate it as: 3.5/5 :|

Pros:
    1. Questions are good, more or less on par with UPSC CSP.
    2. Detailed explanations
    3. Solve at home
    4. Cheaper

Cons:
    1. MANY TIMES WRONG OPTION AS CORRECT ANSWER IN SOLUTION WITH RIGHT EXPLANATION
    2. Many mistakes in formatting and poor editing
    3. Late publishing many times
    4. No large customer base which could be use for benchmarking
    5. Paper in soft copy
    UPSC civil services examination is coming closer, and my struggle continues. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at study table. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Civil Services, for this day and all the days to come.........
  • I have seen some of the Test Papers. They look good, and are designed well. The focus for them is first timers and hence focus is on evaluating how much you have read and not really on how much you know. The later will be tested in UPSC though.

But then, if you at all want to increase how much you know, the means will be how much you read

Recommended for First timers and those outside Delhi.

I had a look at their Secure 2014 Mains Answer writing practice Initiative. That looks very very good to me. Someone who does online studies (I don't) can post their questions here everyday, ask @root to create a category for it, and help in answer writing practice for Mains candidates of ForumIAS. That will be very useful for us here. I am sure a lot of people will participate here. Including myself, once the prelims is over.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |

• I had a look at their Secure 2014 Mains Answer writing practice Initiative. That looks very very good to me. Someone who does online studies (I don't) can post their questions here everyday, ask @root to create a category for it, and help in answer writing practice for Mains candidates of ForumIAS. That will be very useful for us here. I am sure a lot of people will participate here. Including myself, once the prelims is over.
    That of course would be subject to @root 's strict copyright rules and stuff. We can circumvent it by posting a backlink to the original IoI post. That way , we violate no copyright AFAIK.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Yes thank you all. @Neyawn: I fall in the 'non-Delhi, no coaching and first timer' category. What is your opinion about GKToday test series and their GS materials? Are there any good online courses available that might help me?
  • By far the best online test series available at present. Because
    1. Made me read every nooks & crevices of NCERT text books.
    2. Cheapest and worth the money you can find.
    3. Lots of explanations.
    4. As already stated by many here, gives a feel of attempting UPSC questions.
    search in the forum, you may find some old ones. decide for yourself.
  • How to join there test series
    2014-1st attempt,mains--pol science
  • Feed back about insights online test series-

I found the test series very helpful ( ve taken approximately 8 tests ,has joined lately),to complete the syllabus.
    Std of Qs are also good and it was also helpful to get info on many other topics.
    Good work by vinay sir and his team.

• When is the test series for 2015 expected to start?
  • @scorpio50

In september .
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • Hello friends !
    I was regular follower of Insights Test Series and i benefited from it immensely. It helped me in covering all NCERTS from class 6 to 12, all standard books(for all subjects) and important current events from Economic Survey and India Year Book.

The beauty of the test series is that you will get exposed to all important topics and issues. And it helps like ready revision material for prelims. The only thing you need to follow religiously is solve the paper as soon as you get it, in exam like situation and check the solutions same day. Do not procrastinate it and write all the important things or new information, right there in front of the respective question and keep updating if you get something new.

I tried to follow other test series in the market, but it was depressing as they make questions from Sky, it seems as you don't know anything. There is a lot around, you can run here and there, but i have learned that this preparation requires only consistency-- be it with your schedule, be it with your books and same for material. Don't run after material. Choose the best and follow it religiously.

Insights test series(prelims) is complete package for UPSC CSE preparation, if it is followed along with other intitaives from its website i.e www.insightsonindia.com

Some people have mentioned about few mistakes in the test series. I also found it, but i conveyed that message to the administrator and he gave me positive feedback. So this way we can contribute with extra information and help the team in correction. Its always a two way approach. Mistakes were generally Typo.
    So, that is not an issue.

What i liked is, there were targets with each tests, cover it and appear for it. All the targets were approachable. Questions were mixture of facts, analysis, and conceptual. After seeing this year's CSE paper you can't say what to read and what not to read. All questions and all facts are important now days. For that i found insights test series beneficial. Obliviously, no one can match UPSC's standard.
    But yes, few can imitate well. Insights test series along with previous year question papers and few TMH series of Question banks Subject wise will be complete for Prelims.

As per my experience, go for it and register for next year prelims test series, because this time they are starting very early. As this year they started for the first time, then also they rocked. But now they have experience and exposure and that too this time more number of tests would be there (this time it was set of 21 tests). Surely, this time it is going to be great ! I am also eagerly waiting for challenging questions ahead.

Frankly telling, while solving Insights Tests, i got confidence "Yes, I can do it ", but following other test series, i felt like "Oh ! God, what else left to read"

Guys, bang on it ! I am sure you won't be dissapointed (as per my own experience), but do follow it religiously then only you will benefit. Rest all hiccups, as people mentioned -- late posting, mistakes, bla bla, etc will be taken care if we poke INSIGHTS team with our determined efforts. If no effort from our side, why the hell they will bother :)
  • I have heard from people that they are starting early but don't know when.
    I just dropped them a mail requesting to finalize a scedule and increase the number of tests for 2015. Let's hope they have something in planning.
  • Its a good Test Series.

Features

- Covering syllabus for PRELIMS
    - Focus on Fundamentals/conceptual part of every subject
    - Good Quality questions
    - Detailed explanations for every questions
    - Reasonable & sensible rate

So...

- No need to worry about usual before the exam thing that "NCERTs are still pending...I need to finish it before exams 2-3 times"

- Foundation will be tested & would become strong as one will have enough tests to check whatever he/she read (basics of every subject).... one will be in sync with basics.

- Apart from NCERTs focus is on other books too like for History- BCP, Polity- LK, Geo- GCL...which is more than enough

- Cost Benefit ratio is good

- Tests will be mailed (or some conducted online on real time basis...not sure whether this time it will be there in large number or not) along with a well structured plan of the target area & books to study upto prelims..so if one don't have plan he/she can prepare a plan around theirs or else sync their plans ...or can take it at any time.

-Important thing is some candidates will ask about how to evaluate one's performance against others...its an offline test series and so on....

Please note that whatever test series one is giving, the sample size or the data set is too small (not every aspirant lives in delhi or participating in their test series)that one cannot analyse his/her performance precisely or even remotely near to the actual one...of course one can easily argue about that if the test data set of Delhi's coaching classes is so much refined (that their probability of getting selected is much higher) that it gives the actual analysis..in that case there are hundreds of other logics like seeing the current trend of rankers and the nature of paper one can hardly say that----it doesn't matter at all...just focus on what you are studying and test it that it...dont worry about every this & that

I found it best according to my requirement.
  • When are they going to launch the 2015 program
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog