ANSWER WRITING GROUP (AWG) 2019
ForumIAS AWG 2019 Entrance Exam will be held on 8th June | 9 AM.   CLICK HERE to know more and apply.
Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Good Article's Collection

edited June 2014 in Current Affairs
Most of us read single newspaper...some read hindu..some IE and some read other newspaper as well.
Idea of starting this thread is to add link of useful article daily from various sources. That way one will not miss good articles published, even if he is not reading it.

But, I feel there is a real danger of overflooding, rendering this discussion useless.

If people are interested here we can make some rules for what kind of articles that can be added to this thread. I think this could be a worthy try.

Comments

• @crux Operation Bluestar is actually too controversial to be asked in CSM. Moreover, Wikipedia article is sufficient from UPSC point of view.

Before starting posting articles we need to first decide on what exactly comes under "good article". In my opinion any article which satisfies any of the following conditions can be considered a "good" article.

1. Covers an important issue as per the standarrds of UPSC i.e neither it should be too technical nor it should be too superficial

2. Covers a topic from GS syllabus.

• @Blitzkrieg Though a candidate was questioned about it in his CS Interview (he was a sikh), + the obsession with anniversaries couldn't stop me from posting. But the contention keeps it away from any direct questions being asked.
    There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune.
  • @Blitzkrieg I think u r correct...first lets make some rules for this discussion.

1. Covers an important issue as per the
    standarrds of UPSC i.e neither it should be too
    technical nor it should be too superficial
    2. Covers a topic from GS syllabus.

already suggested.

3. Articles must be really comprehensive. I mean to say atleast 50% of the article should be useful for upsc. Most of the artucles are just lengthy and not useful from pt. of view of mains.

4. Need not to be newspaper article. Article can be from any source.

5. it would be nice if we could just indicate the topic for which the article relates (not a hard rule, just in case someone is nt willing to make that extra effort) No problems.
  • @Moderators please delete above three links of mine.Wrong articles have been posted.
  • edited June 2014
    @moderators-Whenever I am posting a link in the comment,it's not getting posted correctly though it's perfectly working when I am sending the link through facebook? Am I following some wrong method?

[ Moderator note : Please leave a space between the ends of the url and your annotation/text. The url parser would otherwise convert any continuous length of text that looks like a url ( http://... ) till the first space it encounters. This is exactly what was happening to your links. It is best to post links in separate lines (especially long ones) and not write anything near them - move to a new line. ]
  • Try topic wise editorials from all major newspapers on
    www.iasknowledge.in
  • good collection of articles from hindu, ie, pib,and other sources with categorisation like economy,environment,science and technology at
    http://samvegias.blogspot.in/

• removing bank accounts from the equation
    gives ideas about financial inclusion, mentions about prepaid payment issuers,remittance through atm
    here is the link
    http://www.deccanherald.com/content/386740/removing-bank-acs-equation.html

No benefits for beneficiaries
    here is a detailed editorial on UIDAI card DTB transfer challenges and problems in the distribution of benificaries.note that the problems are in the pilot project

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-opinion/no-benefits-for-beneficiaries/article5755075.ece
  • edited July 2014
    A new index to measure social progress
    http://samvegias.blogspot.in/2014/07/a-new-index-to-measure-social-progress.html
    http://samvegias.blogspot.in/2014/07/trials-and-regulations.html
    New initiative in agriculture field
    http://samvegias.blogspot.in/2014/07/new-initiative-in-agriculture-field.html

From Mod : Kindly avoid advertising for time being . Please cooperate . Thank You .
  • Hi! Going slightly off the topic but have you all subscribed to the epw? Any idea if one can access the archives through a 3 month paid subscription?
  • @Inthefray
    Yes, you can access complete archives through 3 month subscription. I have that subscription. If you want any particular article, I can upload it here.
  • @Inthefray
    Yes, you can access complete archives through 3 month subscription. I have that subscription. If you want any particular article, I can upload it here.
    Hey buddy pls upload the articles that you feel can be important for us...pls... :-*
  • @Blitzkrieg I was planning on subscribing. So maybe I can once yours is over? That way we can cover six months between us.
  • @Blitzkrieg yes mate pls do that .. i'll subscribe after 6 months..
  • FPTP vs. PR system: http://www.epw.in/editorials/debating-electoral-systems.html
    Can anyone please share a free copy of this article? It is subscriber only. Tia!
  • The first-past-the-post system remains preferable over proportional representation.

Despite winning only 31% of the vote share, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has obtained as many as 282 seats in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. This is the lowest vote share ever for a party with a majority in the Lok Sabha. The BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) as a whole managed 331 seats with a mere 38.2% vote share. These facts have been played up by some critics of the new government, who have argued that despite the numbers in the Lok Sabha this government does not represent the majority of Indians. That at the same time many parties which have recorded substantial vote shares have won few or no seats has led to the questioning of the “first-past-the-post” (FPTP) system of Indian elections and calls for proportional representation.

In Uttar Pradesh, the BJP won 71 out of the 80 seats with a 42% vote share while the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) could not win even one seat though it obtained 20% of the votes. At the national level, the BSP won the third highest vote share of 4.2% but ended up without a single seat in the Lok Sabha. On the other hand, parties like the Trinamool Congress (TMC) with 3.8%, All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazagham (AIADMK) with 3.3% and the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) with 1.7% of the votes got 34, 37 and 20 seats, respectively.

Can such vote-seat patterns lend weight to the arguments for proportional representation (PR)? The large tally for the BJP was facilitated by its strong performance in western, ­northern and central India. The party won 241 of the 256 seats it contested in Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Goa, Bihar, Himachal Pradesh, U­ttarakhand and Delhi, with vote shares ranging from 29% in Bihar to 59% in Gujarat. Clearly a massive anti-incumbency wave against the Congress and the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) helped the BJP reap huge gains in these states. In many of the other states, non-BJP regional parties which had marked out their independence from the Congress (the TMC, AIADMK and BJD) benefited from this anti-Congress wave. And certain other powerful regional parties such as the Samajwadi Party and the BSP which did not oppose the ­Congress strongly, lost badly.

What the party-wise break-up in the Lok Sabha shows is a r­eflection of this voting pattern, even if the final outcome tends to exaggerate the effect of the anger against the Congress/UPA. Much of this is not so much due to the vagaries of the FPTP system but the nature of the party system in India and the conjunctural severity of the anti-Congress wave.

India’s party system has evolved from a single party system to a regionalised, federalised multiparty system that well ­represents the social, regional, linguistic and ideological cleavages in India’s society. This has been made possible by the FPTP system which has allowed political forces moored to smaller ­regions and sub-regions to win seats in those areas by defeating the incumbent heavyweight. This ability of regional parties to defeat the previously dominant party in a particular region is an important positive feature of the FPTP as weaker voices have had to be accommodated by the larger national parties. The need for a PR system is justified only if there is a systemic anomaly that prevents smaller parties from winning seats. That does not seem to be the case even in this general election.

There are significant problems to a PR system as well. For one, in an apparent contradiction, the PR system could make all future governments inherently unstable as no party would ever be able to get a majority. This in itself may not be a bad outcome, since stability is often a code word for suppressing marginal voices. But the experience of Nepal over the past few years illustrates how the PR system could well exaggerate instability and put government in a logjam without any concomitant positive consequences. There may then be calls for more post-poll alliances rather than the more homogeneous and tested pre-poll alliances as in the FPTP system. Second, a PR system would empower party leaders over local representatives if a list model is adopted and this will not give small parties, which now can win a seat or two in their region of influence and have a voice in Parliament, any national presence. Third, even if a mixed-PR model is adopted, there is no guarantee that this complicated system would address the problem of instability and the need to provide representation to the small parties.

The skewed seat share in the present Lok Sabha does alert us to the problems with the FPTP system but does not seem to be a strong enough argument to switch to a PR system. If some parties have been rendered weak in these elections, this has more to do with their politics, government record and inability to stop a fall in vote share, and less to do with the vagaries of the FPTP system.
  • It was a short article, so just copy-pasted.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly