ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

UPSC preparation with Bank PO job, is it possible?

edited April 2014 in Miscellaneous
I am preparing for UPSC-2014. I am recently selected as PO in Bank of India. I would like to ask whether it is possible to prepare for UPSC along with this job? Should I join or prepare full-time? I am already 26 and facing pressure from family, friends & relatives to join.

Is there anyone on this forum preparing along with bank job? How's the experience?

Comments

• @CSEdreams Bhai I am also in the same boat. Already 26 and selected as PO in Canara Bank.

• @CSEdreams

Definitely it is possible. The only thing you need is proper time management. :)
    All the Best
    www.faltugs.com
    Free General Studies || Learn with fun || Free Mock Paper GS-I from Downloads
  • edited April 2014
    @CSEdreams
    Yes it is possible . But depends very much on your posting and your boss.

However, It is never going to be easy. Be prepared for hectic days where you will be drilled in office and at home. Sleepless nights and fragile health. Needless to mention the extreme mental stress.

If someone has told you , " PSU/Govt mein job le lo fir sath mein tayyari karte rehna " ( Get employed in PSU/Govt and prepare simultaneously) didn't tell you the complete story.

Those who have qualified by being employed haven't done it the straight way ! Either they were girls who are ususally posted in metro cities and nobody disturbs them after office hours , also they get sympathy and soft corner in office . Or they were boys who luckily got excellent boss/posting and were able to fluke the office hours.

One of my friends was in NTPC limited and he got selected in Civil services . People say that see he is so intelligent he prepared while in job. However only I know , what all he went through. And the biggest trick was , he had prepared for civil services one year before he joined NTPC. He appeared for NTPC ( that time it was not included in GATE ) and mains in the same year . So by the time the results of CSE came out he was 8-9 months into the job . People thought he prepared while in job while the truth was something else.

So don't get befooled by such success stories unless you know the complete picture. Use your mind and value your risk taking capability ,accordingly take decision.

For this question whether you should prepare while in job or not , nobody can answer it corrrectly but you.
    कह दो इन हसरतों से कहीं और जा बसें, इतनी जगह कहाँ है दिल-ए-दाग़दार में
    उम्र-ए-दराज़ माँग कर लाये थे चार दिन, दो पढ़ने में कट गये दो रिजल्ट के इन्तज़ार में
  • Being a PO in SBI, I can tell u that its extremly difficult to prepare. It all depends on your bank's business and boss.. There is no fixed timings for an officer in bank and the work culture is really poor..
  • Rightly Said, it all depends on your work pressure, place of posting and boss.. I am also a SBI PO and i find it is very much possible to prepare.. Plus it is public sector, the pressure is no where close to Private jobs.. I have worked in private sector also, so can compare.. things move slowly in bureaucratic fashion in public sector... you will find time out if you are smart.. plus if you are in small town you will have far less distractions and upsc these days is more about self studies only..
  • every person has his own point of view.. don't ask such questions on public forum..answers will only leave you confused.. cse is a long drawn exam.. it is good to have a backup. dats it
  • Thanks everyone. Though after reading everyone's suggestions, I am still confused but I am more inclined towards taking the risk for one more year and prepare for UPSC full-time.

@roshhan mentioned very good example of his friend at NTPC. On the similar lines, I think if I can get through this time in CSE it's great but if it doesn't go my way, the preparation done during this time can still help me if I take up a job as a backup option next year. Due to the knowledge gained during this time, I think building further on the basics will be easier during the job at that time.
  • edited April 2014
    I already got plenty Bank P.O 's as friends , who quit mid way from preparing CSE .
    When they call me , I used to say to them You guys are lucky enough to earn salary . Their reply made me smile We envy you , because you didnt wrote any bank exams and still preparing for your dream job .

NB:
    Its highly subjective but still leave before you to interpret the above according to your own imagination .
    2017--> 8th attempt
  • edited April 2014
    @CSEdreams I would suggest you to take up the job. Why to leave something before you even get to experience it? If you find it difficult to prepare simultaneously with a job then you can resign. A job not only gives monetary benefit but plenty of confidence as well to continue prep without any misgivings like security, social esteem,etc.

Since you are 26 already, I would advice you against putting all eggs in one basket. Have a backup. No one can predict any results be it po or cse. Next year may or may not turn up the same result. I know many people who resigned or didn't take up the jobs they got because of their misplaced conviction that a job hinders CSE prep. Now they have crossed the 'employable age' and are desperate to get just about any job. I don't mean to discourage you by quoting this scenario. I am only trying to convey that you should take a practical decision rather than an idealistic one.
  • @CSEdreams

There are lots of example for every situation :)

Even married candidates (male/female) who were working have cleared civil services in past and recent past. So I would say do not get discouraged with what you are, because every individual and candidate faces different & unique situation. So we have to find our own way to come out or tackle the situation. :)
    www.faltugs.com
    Free General Studies || Learn with fun || Free Mock Paper GS-I from Downloads
  • I am preparing for UPSC-2014. I am recently selected as PO in Bank of India. I would like to ask whether it is possible to prepare for UPSC along with this job? Should I join or prepare full-time? I am already 26 and facing pressure from family, friends & relatives to join.

Is there anyone on this forum preparing along with bank job? How's the experience?
    Hey bud !

What I will suggest you is that you join the job .See it out for 4-5 months & if things are not suitable then you can leave it anytime you want .Just try it out .You might get lucky & have a favorable situation at your disposal .If not then the option of resign will open for you the day you join .

You dont know unless you try it out !
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • edited April 2014
    @CSEdreams

I would strongly suggest you to join PO job.
    You might get a favourable place of posting.
    Officers job in PSU is something all long for.
    --
    In private sector, you have the option of re-joining. While for PO, it's not there.
    --
    Join it, see yourself and then decide what suits you more.
  • best would be take an extension for a year or so, if u can get
  • like brave arjun, only one target should be visible to every future bureaucrat, and not the branches, leaves, flowers, stem, only and only the bird's eye, thats it.
    Imagination and Ruthlessness rules the world
  • SBI PO checking in.
    While it is possible, it will be difficult. I dont know about other banks but SBI is hell.
    My only suggestion would be : join the job, but dont care too much about it. People will tell you ye karo wo karo 8 baje tak baitho, dont listen. Be assertive. In my first branch i used to sit till 8 pm and leave after reporting to my BM. Now i leave at 6:15 sharp without telling anyone . If you can work like that, then join the job. Otherwise dont.
  • oriental bank of commerce was my first preference and i have been alloted the same big banks have big business So more work load;) plus big banks like canara and bob have comparatively taken in large number of POs i think they will branch out to more rural areas lets see what place of posting i am offered and hope that particular branch is favourable to my preparation
    You may be a king or a little street sweeper,but sooner or later you dance with the reaper!
  • Bankers are the lowest
    paid when compared to Central Govt /
    State Governments/PSUs major problems are work
    pressure/accountability/random transfers
    You may be a king or a little street sweeper,but sooner or later you dance with the reaper!
  • Bankers are the lowest

So is it better to leave appearing for banking exams and rather go for appearing in capf or state pcs??

• oriental bank of commerce was my first preference and i have been alloted the same big banks have big business So more work load;) plus big banks like canara and bob have comparatively taken in large number of POs i think they will branch out to more rural areas lets see what place of posting i am offered and hope that particular branch is favourable to my preparation
    have been allotted the same bank, OBC. I think i would leave it if i dont get a delhi posting.
    where are you from @rav23cbzx ?
  • Bankers are the lowest

So is it better to leave appearing for banking exams and rather go for appearing in capf or state pcs??

yes they are anyday better than banking job i for one will be joining bank because of immense family pressure/expectations But having said that i will also say clearing ibps is far easier than capf,state civils So if you are in dire need of a job then only i will recommend banking sector
    have been allotted the same bank, OBC. I think i would leave it if i dont get a delhi posting.
    where are you from @rav23cbzx ?
    very unlikely that you will get coveted posting like Delhi But obc has more urban branches than rural one Thats a plus.i am from jharkhand,ranchi
  • edited April 2014
    @jai_mib
    when they call you to report at their ho in gurgaon and their training centre in noida i suspect only these two times you will get near Delhi if you decide to join ;) But still wish you luck :)
  • @CSEdreams If theres no family responsibility on you and you are really PASSIONATE, DESPERATE and HUNGRY for becoming a civil servant, i would suggest that you prepare for Civils for a year of two. Give your best shot. Later you can join any Bank or other job.

In banks/financial sector nowadays theres tremendous workload and pressure. Plus as officer you are ANSWERABLE and ACCOUNTABLE to each and every one and for each and every work. If you go by the the usually heard notion that 'join a sarkari job and then prepare' then i fear you may get disillusioned later..there is nothing as such Sarkari over there...the heydays are over. CGL is a thousand times better option than PO/AO.

Bank jobs are in plenty and if you really have the talent thought of getting another sarkari job after two years should not scare you.
  • SBI is difficult to work with while preparing for CSE. I have been selected in ACIO and in PO too but I am
    sure that the pressure in ACIO or for that matter in CPFO will leave no place for preparation...At least in banks you have the surety of coming back at nights...But ACIOs and Asst. Commandants are those who have to vigil most of the times...My father was a commandant in B.S.F retired recently...I saw young chap selected going to 'ratili Dharti' in some far flung BOP where holding that unit is most imp work and u can't even think of blinking an eye as you are just meters away from border....
    POs who leave mid way lose momentum same happens when you stay at home for too long,I can show u even SBI clerk clearing CSE in 2011...
    You can't sit at home till 30 or 35 and keep on reading things...There is a definite time interval which u should give to you and then u can leave...I am turning 24 and have took 1 year coaching,now going to join bank...whatever happens , I will see...
    Earn something,be independent and then u can give a shot for CSE
  • @CSEdreams
    The best way to prepare is to prepare full time for CSE. There is no shred of a doubt about this. But the logic starts to warp once the age starts ticking towards 30. Add to it the unpredictability of the exam where even the best prepared are caught off guard many times and one encounters a hazy picture.
    I was placed in a IT major after graduation,scored vary well during the training and then warmed the bench for a year. Conscious of my ambition, I started to save whatever I could. A year later, I quit to prepare full time.
    I have not made through this year's mains. Yet I had the cushion of financing my own preparation and never felt dependent on my parents.
    Now I will be joining as Bank Po or IT officer, whomsoever gives me joining first. I am ready to slug it out and toil hard. It will be stern and I willing to test whether my ambition is made up of sterner stuff.
    Examples are there on both sides of the divide. Some of my friends refused to honor their offer letters and instead headed towards ORN. Now after three years, some of them are war weary and anxoius about their future, the glint in their eyes that they had in the starting phase has weaned away considerably. On the other hand, some refuse to reconsider their rational standing and are still committed to prepare full time reasoning that the hanging sword of a bitter outcome helps them to flinch their arms more and prepare harder. An argument I personally find hard to refute at that moment given the premium I place in their determination and devotion. Meanwhile one of my seniors who was the most enthusiastic about the Civil Services, took up the job of PO in the SBI last year and despite a favorable posting in Delhi, has decided to offload IAS from his life citing full satisfication in the bank ! So while people are complaining about the bad work environment and stress in the banking job as a hurdle to their CSE preparation, this man has actually traversed the reverse path.
    I do not hold the right to philosophize about the approach that one should take for this exam but as a fellow competitor, I would suggest you to take up the job and prepare simultaneously.You can invest in the preparatory stuff and all without putting too much of a thought and the little bit of assurance that holding a job gives one will be of immense help. Meanwhile, one can appear for other competitive exams and make increamental progress, bide his time and when the opportunity presents, strike big time.
    Maybe one day we can share our expereinces regarding it.
    If you can take it, you can make it.
    I will fight till the end, be it bitter, be it glorious.
  • Today I saw a vacancy in chandigarh cooperative bank .

I have following doubts wrt it ,
    1).Does this bank has branches only in chandigarh or transfer is possible here also ?
    2).Is salary structure, workload same as in sbi and other banks ?

I am thinking to fill this up because the bank is in chandigarh only .
    Any idea guys .
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • Cooperative banks exist only within the territories of the state in which they are establsihed.So out of the state transfer is ruled out effectively.
    The workload is definitely on the lower side because these banks are largely mandated to cater to agriculture and SSI alongwith the rural areas. Most of these Coop banks still use operate in the manual transaction modes and normally do not have much cyber presence. You can easily gauge the amount of work pressure.
    The salary strcture should not matter to you as I am sure you are trying this as a stop gap arrangement and not making a career out of it.
  • friends me too in the same dilemma i have been selected for IDBI Bank family pressure me to join
  • Friends, even I was in same dilemma, whether to quit my current job and fully concentrate on this year exams or not, after not finding my Roll No in the PDF of this year's mains exam result. Due to the financial condition of family, I was not able to decide to quit my current job.
    Later IBPS Po result came, got selected for PO in Canara Bank, then another dilemma started whether to join bank or not. I found, everywhere people are talking about immense work load, pressure and odd timings in bank job. Currently, I am working in MNC and spending 11-12 hours in a day for this job. I have worked till 2 to 3 O'clock in nights, weekend works, late hours calls,etc.
    I personally don't think the Banking sector Work and Pressure would exceed to IT sector pressure. I am not saying the IT sector life is bad, it certainly have other +points. But I couldn't decide to leave this PO job as this is a reputed job, it's growth rate, salary and other benefits. Some says you will not get time to prepare for Civil service while working in Banks, I think this are just an excuse. The time is yours and you need to manage it. Success don't come easily, you can't desire to have comfort while dreaming for IAS. I came till UPSC mains exam this year and waiting for mains result of my state civil service and I did this all while working in IT sector.
    I have decided to join bank PO after considering so many factors like if I could not get success in civil service, I still can make my career in grooming Banking sector, I can get transfer to my home town after 2-3 year and may get now itself if lucky enough, handsome salary and others. Friends choose wisely and remember to play safe as UPSC is not piece of cake. Friends lets shows the world this time, even Bank PO can be IAS/IPS. Hope to see 30-40 PO's in final list of this year's UPSC exams.
  • @Bablu_88
    Bhai ye teri baat to dil ko touch kar gayi. Khass kar ke last line.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog