Current Affairs for Prelims 2019 | Online | Offline | 25th March@5PM
ForumIAS Current Affairs Classes for Prelims commences from March 25th. There will be about 12 classes held 3 days a week at 5PM in the offline mode. Course is available in both Online & Offline Mode.
Join Online Classes | Join Offline Classes
We are hiring!
Visit http://go.forumias.com/changetheworld to apply now!

E-books vs Paper books? suggest a smartphone/phablet/tablet.

edited February 2014 in Miscellaneous
There are lots of books and magazines for Civil Services available as soft copies or e-books like NCERT textbooks (free), yojna (free i guess) and many others can be found on the net. (let me know if you know :) )

Which are better E-books or Paper books?
Those who read E-books, is it uncomfortable or something?
Should I get paperback books for NCERT or E-books?

And if E-books are fine, are they comfortable to read on smartphones? Someone must have tried it.
I have a dumb phone, so was thinking of getting a new one.
If 4.5" is fine for reading then I'll go for Moto G for 14k
Otherwise 5" Huawei G700 for 16k (thats more than enough to spend on a phone I think)
Or if you suggest a tablet then Nexus 7 for 9k, and will have to keep the dumb phone.

Comments

• Well that depends on environment, availability and choice.

I study mostly E-books/pdf.
    Reason - I can utilize time in office and using PDF's and ebook's from flipkart.
    Apart from dutt and sundaram I have everything on net or in my Laptop.

I enjoy reading ebook/pdf as I am doing it since a very long time. I can spend 1 hour at home and 2 hours in office reading ebook/pdf in one go. But that's a personal choice.

Having said that I tried it on smartphone as well. But that's just too much from yourself and technology. It's not worth when it comes to rate of investment(Time).

I believe regardless of anything one must develop a habit where he/she is most comfortable while studying.
    i.e. I study 4-5 hour in office which effectively comes to 3+ hour of quality one.

I studied at home for 5 hours where quality is utmost 1.5 to 2 hours.

So that depends where your mind is psychologically least deviated and focused.

Hope that helps
  • @KeepWalking
    4-5 hours in office ? [-X

btw, which office is that? i am working and want to switch to a job that will aloow me to study longer.
  • edited February 2014
    @KeepWalking interesting! your quality of study is better in office :D
    if you start doing overtime your preparation would be even better :P

do eyes hurt after reading for so long from laptop?
  • @rajkumar484 - Hahaha.
    Well I took 2 hours in the morning and lunch then sit for next three hours post office hours.
    So that's how it is. I worked with an investment bank.

@sherdil - I already do that(read overtime). Well no- it doesn't hurt after reading that much. I am used to of it now.

• @sherdil

I never found ebooks comparable to paper books though I have read entire NCERTs as ebooks only.
    Earlier i used to read them from Samsung Galaxy s2 but my eyes started to pain after sometime so bought a Galaxy Tab 3 & now I dont face any such problem even if study for longer durations .
    So I would definitely suggest a tablet if you want to read ebooks.

Ebooks can never match the joy that i get by reading from an actual book.
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • edited February 2014
    @sherdil

I never found ebooks comparable to paper books though I have read entire NCERTs as ebooks only.
    Earlier i used to read them from Samsung Galaxy s2 but my eyes started to pain after sometime so bought a Galaxy Tab 3 & now I dont face any such problem even if study for longer durations .
    So I would definitely suggest a tablet if you want to read ebooks.

Ebooks can never match the joy that i get by reading from an actual book.
    thanks for replying bhai, is it 7" or 8"?
    and if you have old NCERT e-books please post them here or email me: sherdil.me@gmail.com

@Stardust @oxford95 you guys have posted lots of soft-copies in discussions. What do you use? laptop/smartphone/tablet? and if you have old ncerts please post here
  • edited February 2014
    @sherdil I use my laptop to read. On most days I spend at least 12 hours in front of it. I have gotten used to it so I find it as comfortable as a physical book.

I don't use any old NCERTs.
  • @sherdil

Initially I intended on buying 7" but when I compared its size with 8" , I simply couldnt resist it.8" one has a perfect size wrt reading ebooks .

I have downloaded NCERTs from their official website only bud .You can easily download from there too.

If screen size is around 8" reading ebooks is a delight .
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • If you get a tab / phone - lookout for pixel density (more than 300ppi) and aspect ratio (4:3 is good for pdfs, 16:9 for movies :) ), these make big differences (more than screen size imho).
    I have a big bias for large screens, but recently got 7" (though not 16:9 so pdfs dont use screen real-estate well enough but it has 323 ppi) - and I simply love the reading experience.
    Something I didn't explore and can matter is - e-ink (kindle - easy on eyes with no screen refresh) vs backlit devices (basically almost everything else - with continuous screen refresh which you dont 'see' but are stress on eyes).
    Anything lesser than 7" would be too small.
  • try the micromax canvas hd series. cheap and good screen qauality.afterwards you can install amazon kindle and push to kindle .
  • try the micromax canvas hd series. cheap and good screen qauality.afterwards you can install amazon kindle and push to kindle .
    The joy of kindle is in the device itself and not the kindle app.
  • @Stardust so you must be having old ncert ebooks? for histroy.
    @LuV does it cause eye strain reading on LCD tablet? and galaxy tab has low ppi too. from what i found continuous reading is difficult on such screens and even focusing.
    @atiwari 7" with 323ppi? what have you got? so how long can you read on non-eink display? is it hard to focus?
    @Mapcoder_baniya i will lose flow navigating across the page on any screen less than 7", isn't it?
    @andy133 many people who have used kindle like nexus 7 equally. do you read ebooks? what have you got?
  • @Stardust so you must be having old ncert ebooks? for histroy.
    @LuV does it cause eye strain reading on LCD tablet? and galaxy tab has low ppi too. from what i found continuous reading is difficult on such screens and even focusing.
    @atiwari 7" with 323ppi? what have you got? so how long can you read on non-eink display? is it hard to focus?
    @Mapcoder_baniya i will lose flow navigating across the page on any screen less than 7", isn't it?
    @andy133 many people who have used kindle like nexus 7 equally. do you read ebooks? what have you got?
    not quite. thats why i am suggesting the kindle app. plus 5 inches is very handy. you could read some articles laying back in bed as well.
  • @sherdil

Nah.I haven't got eye strain till date though the maximum duration that I have read from my tab continously is 5 hrs only.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google