All India Open Prelims Simulator Test X
on 22nd May, 2019 CLICK HERE to know more and apply
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

E-books vs Paper books? suggest a smartphone/phablet/tablet.

edited February 2014 in Miscellaneous
There are lots of books and magazines for Civil Services available as soft copies or e-books like NCERT textbooks (free), yojna (free i guess) and many others can be found on the net. (let me know if you know :) )

Which are better E-books or Paper books?
Those who read E-books, is it uncomfortable or something?
Should I get paperback books for NCERT or E-books?

And if E-books are fine, are they comfortable to read on smartphones? Someone must have tried it.
I have a dumb phone, so was thinking of getting a new one.
If 4.5" is fine for reading then I'll go for Moto G for 14k
Otherwise 5" Huawei G700 for 16k (thats more than enough to spend on a phone I think)
Or if you suggest a tablet then Nexus 7 for 9k, and will have to keep the dumb phone.

Comments

• Well that depends on environment, availability and choice.

I study mostly E-books/pdf.
    Reason - I can utilize time in office and using PDF's and ebook's from flipkart.
    Apart from dutt and sundaram I have everything on net or in my Laptop.

I enjoy reading ebook/pdf as I am doing it since a very long time. I can spend 1 hour at home and 2 hours in office reading ebook/pdf in one go. But that's a personal choice.

Having said that I tried it on smartphone as well. But that's just too much from yourself and technology. It's not worth when it comes to rate of investment(Time).

I believe regardless of anything one must develop a habit where he/she is most comfortable while studying.
    i.e. I study 4-5 hour in office which effectively comes to 3+ hour of quality one.

I studied at home for 5 hours where quality is utmost 1.5 to 2 hours.

So that depends where your mind is psychologically least deviated and focused.

Hope that helps
  • @KeepWalking
    4-5 hours in office ? [-X

btw, which office is that? i am working and want to switch to a job that will aloow me to study longer.
  • edited February 2014
    @KeepWalking interesting! your quality of study is better in office :D
    if you start doing overtime your preparation would be even better :P

do eyes hurt after reading for so long from laptop?
  • @rajkumar484 - Hahaha.
    Well I took 2 hours in the morning and lunch then sit for next three hours post office hours.
    So that's how it is. I worked with an investment bank.

@sherdil - I already do that(read overtime). Well no- it doesn't hurt after reading that much. I am used to of it now.

• @sherdil

I never found ebooks comparable to paper books though I have read entire NCERTs as ebooks only.
    Earlier i used to read them from Samsung Galaxy s2 but my eyes started to pain after sometime so bought a Galaxy Tab 3 & now I dont face any such problem even if study for longer durations .
    So I would definitely suggest a tablet if you want to read ebooks.

Ebooks can never match the joy that i get by reading from an actual book.
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • edited February 2014
    @sherdil

I never found ebooks comparable to paper books though I have read entire NCERTs as ebooks only.
    Earlier i used to read them from Samsung Galaxy s2 but my eyes started to pain after sometime so bought a Galaxy Tab 3 & now I dont face any such problem even if study for longer durations .
    So I would definitely suggest a tablet if you want to read ebooks.

Ebooks can never match the joy that i get by reading from an actual book.
    thanks for replying bhai, is it 7" or 8"?
    and if you have old NCERT e-books please post them here or email me: sherdil.me@gmail.com

@Stardust @oxford95 you guys have posted lots of soft-copies in discussions. What do you use? laptop/smartphone/tablet? and if you have old ncerts please post here
  • edited February 2014
    @sherdil I use my laptop to read. On most days I spend at least 12 hours in front of it. I have gotten used to it so I find it as comfortable as a physical book.

I don't use any old NCERTs.
  • @sherdil

Initially I intended on buying 7" but when I compared its size with 8" , I simply couldnt resist it.8" one has a perfect size wrt reading ebooks .

I have downloaded NCERTs from their official website only bud .You can easily download from there too.

If screen size is around 8" reading ebooks is a delight .
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • If you get a tab / phone - lookout for pixel density (more than 300ppi) and aspect ratio (4:3 is good for pdfs, 16:9 for movies :) ), these make big differences (more than screen size imho).
    I have a big bias for large screens, but recently got 7" (though not 16:9 so pdfs dont use screen real-estate well enough but it has 323 ppi) - and I simply love the reading experience.
    Something I didn't explore and can matter is - e-ink (kindle - easy on eyes with no screen refresh) vs backlit devices (basically almost everything else - with continuous screen refresh which you dont 'see' but are stress on eyes).
    Anything lesser than 7" would be too small.
  • try the micromax canvas hd series. cheap and good screen qauality.afterwards you can install amazon kindle and push to kindle .
  • try the micromax canvas hd series. cheap and good screen qauality.afterwards you can install amazon kindle and push to kindle .
    The joy of kindle is in the device itself and not the kindle app.
  • @Stardust so you must be having old ncert ebooks? for histroy.
    @LuV does it cause eye strain reading on LCD tablet? and galaxy tab has low ppi too. from what i found continuous reading is difficult on such screens and even focusing.
    @atiwari 7" with 323ppi? what have you got? so how long can you read on non-eink display? is it hard to focus?
    @Mapcoder_baniya i will lose flow navigating across the page on any screen less than 7", isn't it?
    @andy133 many people who have used kindle like nexus 7 equally. do you read ebooks? what have you got?
  • @Stardust so you must be having old ncert ebooks? for histroy.
    @LuV does it cause eye strain reading on LCD tablet? and galaxy tab has low ppi too. from what i found continuous reading is difficult on such screens and even focusing.
    @atiwari 7" with 323ppi? what have you got? so how long can you read on non-eink display? is it hard to focus?
    @Mapcoder_baniya i will lose flow navigating across the page on any screen less than 7", isn't it?
    @andy133 many people who have used kindle like nexus 7 equally. do you read ebooks? what have you got?
    not quite. thats why i am suggesting the kindle app. plus 5 inches is very handy. you could read some articles laying back in bed as well.
  • @sherdil

Nah.I haven't got eye strain till date though the maximum duration that I have read from my tab continously is 5 hrs only.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google