‘Microbial toxins found in popular e-cigarettes’ In a first, NASA probe detects ‘marsquake’ on the Red Planet HC lifts ban on TikTok, but with a caveat IEPF Authority in a major success recovers Rs 1514 Cr of Depositors Money Madras High Court bats for extending legal abortion period upto 24 weeks
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims From 2011-18 | Read Here→

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

Removing Bias towards a particular optional

Its disheartening to see that one particular optional is heavily dominating the ranklist. And many of the first attempt rankers are having this optional.
I am in higher number of attempts and it is ridiculous that the finishing line for my optional is farther away than the beloved optional of UPSC i.e. Anthropology. Definitely, all are equal among the optionals but one of them is more equal than others...

Can we send a petition collectively to UPSC to consider this matter. I am clueless but we can certainly do something for this matter.

Comments

• Geography or History ?
  • Mine is economics
  • Which one is dominant?
    :)
  • Bhai jab uska PubAd jaisa haal hoga fir wo economics ke against petition daalenge.
    Prelims 2, Mains 2 Sociology
    Happy to help.
  • Acidpop said:

Bhai jab uska PubAd jaisa haal hoga fir wo economics ke against petition daalenge.

Bhai yaha Koi intergenerational equality ka koi logic nhi h
  • Maths ke toppers zyada ho rahe he
    Magical powers...
    In the lush grass...
    In the shade of Mt. Moon....
    Makes the song... Soothe you....
    The power of the melody moves you....
    :trollface:
  • Acidpop said:

Bhai jab uska PubAd jaisa haal hoga fir wo economics ke against petition daalenge.

Bhai yaha Koi intergenerational equality ka koi logic nhi h
    :#
    Prelims 2, Mains 2 Sociology
    Happy to help.
  • Its disheartening to see that one particular optional is heavily dominating the ranklist. And many of the first attempt rankers are having this optional.
    I am in higher number of attempts and it is ridiculous that the finishing line for my optional is farther away than the beloved optional of UPSC i.e. Anthropology. Definitely, all are equal among the optionals but one of them is more equal than others...

Can we send a petition collectively to UPSC to consider this matter. I am clueless but we can certainly do something for this matter.

How is it "heavily dominating" the list?
    Yes in top 15 there are 3 people but overall not that many as compared to last year. Also sending petition is not going to make you clear this exam, rather change the optional.
  • I can understand your frustration, but that isn't the case especially with economics. If you see the presidential report of UPSC, economics has been a successful optional.
    Here is my advice, If an optional isn't getting you successful for long then deliberate on it and change it.
    Make peace with the fact that it is a subjective examination, so will be the marking
  • djikstra said:

Its disheartening to see that one particular optional is heavily dominating the ranklist. And many of the first attempt rankers are having this optional.

Yes in top 15 there are 3 people but overall not that many as compared to last year. Also sending petition is not going to make you clear this exam, rather change the optional.
    Is it not injustice to favour anthropology. Regarding Maths, it is much difficult to score marks in maths. One needs to put in a lot of time and it take guts to opt for it. The same can't be said about anthro.

Regarding changing the optional. Are we expected to proceed by trial and error. Don't have eternity to clear this exam...
  • This time nobody is talking about political science optional. I am yet to hear single rank under 200 with PSIR. 4th attempt 2 mains , out with PSIR.
  • Bhai bachpan me ki gayi galtiyon ka nateeza bhugatnaa padtaa hai...

Maine bhi Mechanical Engineering chhod ke Geography liya thaa second attempt me... IFoS gayaa paani me, Geology and Forestry ratne pade, dono me se kisi me bhi marks nhi aaye honge... IES gayaa paani me and CSE ki to baat hi mat karo... 4 attempts, 4 mains me sirf ek interview call aayi hai 2016 me...

Not a day goes by that I don't regret my decision of changing to a humanities subject... We all have to pay the price of our wrong decisions... It's not the fault of UPSC, but ours...

Maine bhi Mechanical Engineering chhod ke Geography liya thaa second attempt me... IFoS gayaa paani me, Geology and Forestry ratne pade, dono me se kisi me bhi marks nhi aaye honge... IES gayaa paani me and CSE ki to baat hi mat karo... 4 attempts, 4 mains me sirf ek interview call aayi hai 2016 me...

Not a day goes by that I don't regret my decision of changing to a humanities subject... We all have to pay the price of our wrong decisions... It's not the fault of UPSC, but ours...

Agreed. Just change mechanical to electrical
    Prelims - 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018
    Mains - 2016 | 2017 | 2018
    Interview - 2016 | 2017 | 2018
    Final list - X

Bhai bhai bhai....
    Sehar kareeb hai.. taaro ka haal kya hoga..

My optional is wrong not because I am bad at it or it is too tough. But because upsc seems to favour some (specially Anthropology) more than others. And this is exactly what must not happen. Can you call it my mistake?
  • edited April 9

Bhai bachpan me ki gayi galtiyon ka nateeza bhugatnaa padtaa hai...

My optional is wrong not because I am bad at it or it is too tough. But because upsc seems to favour some (specially Anthropology) more than others. And this is exactly what must not happen. Can you call it my mistake?
    Bhai, no serious aspirant is bad at their optional. Period. Popular optionals will more often than not, betray you... It simply becomes a game of chance...
    Geography, PSIR, Pub Ad, Sociology, History, Anthropology - it's a Russian Roulette between them every year... This year Anthropology was the last man standing... That's all...
  • Economics has got no exclusive disadvantage :)

Either one has not revised it properly or the paper may turn out to be exceptiinally difficult though that’s a rare case scenario and can happen with any optional . Mostly it’s the first case .

If one got interest in the subject and is willing to study it diligently, it’s a very good optional :)

( it’s just my opinion who wrote mains thrice with this optional :D :p )
  • djikstra said:

Rightly said.... It's fair...

I his is called domination.... In 2008 or 2009 , in top 20, 18 were from psychology. :|
  • bhaiyo jalo mat ris karo. failed twice in mains and last time in interview just bcz ended up chosing pol sci, wasnt good at humanities still managed to reach till interview but regret of not taking maths was strong. but there is no option but to do what has to be done. blame game n comparisons are good for heart but not for brain.
  • edited April 10
    I have given 3 mains with eco, it has got its own pros and cons, like any other subject
    The biggest advantage is you don't have to write your opinion in any answer, hence it removes subjectivity to large extent
    but it is also hard to score marks in paper 1, after attempting full paper with diagrams, I only manage to get average marks ( I know I have to work more on answer writing for paper1). The second cons is the syllabus of paper 1 is huge, I have to alot majority of prep time for paper1
    paper 2 is wonderful, questions are most of the time repetitive and marking is also generous
  • edited April 13

I have given 3 mains with eco, it has got its own pros and cons, like any other subject
    The biggest advantage is you don't have to write your opinion in any answer, hence it removes subjectivity to large extent
    but it is also hard to score marks in paper 1, after attempting full paper with diagrams, I only manage to get average marks ( I know I have to work more on answer writing for paper1). The second cons is the syllabus of paper 1 is huge, I have to alot majority of prep time for paper1
    paper 2 is wonderful, questions are most of the time repetitive and marking is also generous

Any notes which u can recommend.. I have to choose my 2nd optional for hpsc.. Syllabus is limited for hpsc optional..

So have to decide between pol science or economics.. I have studied economics in school nd college.. Abh Yaad Nahi jaada kuch to write good answers.. Nor I have kept my college books or notes.. I live in delhi.. But due to my low paying and hectic hours job; i can't take regular classes for economics..

Can pay a teacher if he or she can segregate topics to be done for hpsc from notes or books.. So if u know anyone; who can do it-any teacher or even an economy optional aspirant- please let me know..
  • musicBOX said:

djikstra said:

Rightly said.... It's fair...

I his is called domination.... In 2008 or 2009 , in top 20, 18 were from psychology. :|
    the problem is not one or two subject dominating. The problem is how to know which one will dominate in which year :D :D
  • Its disheartening to see that one particular optional is heavily dominating the ranklist. And many of the first attempt rankers are having this optional.

I am doing some analysis. (lot of time. Taking break this year. very tired)

in top 50

maths-2
    anthropology-3
    geography-3
    pol sc-2 (don'trust Shubhra ranjan advertisement. many her students in GS. In Hindu Ad on yesterday, she listing many names)
    pub ad-8 !!!!!!!!! (now all will jumping into it)
    Socio-3

other misc-eng lit, Phil, commerce, law etc.

• waiting for more details then I will share more
  • I have given 3 mains with eco, it has got its own pros and cons, like any other subject

Any notes which u can recommend.. I have to choose my 2nd optional for hpsc.. Syllabus is limited for hpsc optional..

So have to decide between pol science or economics.. I have studied economics in school nd college.. Abh Yaad Nahi jaada kuch to write good answers.. Nor I have kept my college books or notes.. I live in delhi.. But due to my low paying and hectic hours job; i can't take regular classes for economics..

Can pay a teacher if he or she can segregate topics to be done for hpsc from notes or books.. So if u know anyone; who can do it-any teacher or even an economy optional aspirant- please let me know..
    I do not have any idea about notes for PCS
    but I have found Ahuja macro and micro most relevant for state PCS
  • Is it moral children of all India services filling form in SC/ST quota? I am not questioning merit, but filling form in quota will bring enormous relief at prelims stage and helps u focus on mains for long time which is a comparative advantage pre and post prelims exam i.e before pre result vis-a-vis others who die worrying about prelims uncertainty.
  • VikramRG said:

Is it moral children of all India services filling form in SC/ST quota? I am not questioning merit, but filling form in quota will bring enormous relief at prelims stage and helps u focus on mains for long time which is a comparative advantage pre and post prelims exam i.e before pre result vis-a-vis others who die worrying about prelims uncertainty.

One may let go ssc chsl or may be even ssc cgl in name of morality but upsc is too big a game to let go. Morality can have a chill pill if you get a huge relax in prelims even if your father may be President of this country. Accept the facts as they are. Don't expect anyone to show morality. We open category candidates would have done same if we were in their shoes. Nothing else matters , cracking upsc does. Gs 4 is a sham
    Sehar kareeb hai.. taaro ka haal kya hoga..
  • I have given 3 mains with eco, it has got its own pros and cons, like any other subject

I do not have any idea about notes for PCS
    but I have found Ahuja macro and micro most relevant for state PCS
    Thank u sir..
  • VikramRG said:

Is it moral children of all India services filling form in SC/ST quota? I am not questioning merit, but filling form in quota will bring enormous relief at prelims stage and helps u focus on mains for long time which is a comparative advantage pre and post prelims exam i.e before pre result vis-a-vis others who die worrying about prelims uncertainty.

One may let go ssc chsl or may be even ssc cgl in name of morality but upsc is too big a game to let go. Morality can have a chill pill if you get a huge relax in prelims even if your father may be President of this country. Accept the facts as they are. Don't expect anyone to show morality. We open category candidates would have done same if we were in their shoes. Nothing else matters , cracking upsc does. Gs 4 is a sham
    Ok..i feel that prelims paper1 should also be given weightage in final merit due to the amount of work students put on it atleast.. I cannot argue it anymore as I have seen it in all my 4 attempts right from 2015 exam.or either remove ethics paper..
  • VikramRG said:

today exam, tomorrow promotions, day after it legitimizes corruption . where it will end? After all good administration is not possible without morals/ethics right?
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google