We are hiring!

Sharing insights on Geography optional - all those in list 2018.

With your great experiences make the optional more practical.
People keep taking decisions about leaving optional, joining test series etc everyday.
So an early wisdom can make optional easy for the derving and not an "obstacle" as being rumoured.

Comments

• edited April 7
    I was thinking to change optional for the upcoming last attempt. But now don't need to :-)

I don't think anyone can understand the tortuous journey with geography more than me.
    Had 108+131 last time..

Although before marks release, can't say how much I improved in Geo.. neither it makes sense to share much about changes.

But yes, once marks are out, I'll try to elaborate in details my journey with this optional.

Only thing I can say, never ever ever blame your optional if you have put years in it.
    I didn't blame Geo but only Myself after last year debacle.
    Cse 16,17,18 : Interview*
  • I was thinking to change optional for the upcoming last attempt. But now don't need to :-)

I don't think anyone can understand the tortuous journey with geography more than me.
    Had 108+131 last time..

Although before marks release, can't say how much I improved in Geo.. neither it makes sense to share much about changes.

But yes, once marks are out, I'll try to elaborate in details my journey with this optional.

Only thing I can say, never ever ever blame your optional if you have put years in it.

still can u please elaborate what changes made this time for paper 1.
  • Are you in the list? :)
    Prelims=1 ,Mains= 1, Interview=0
    Essay-141 , GS-396 , PSIR Optional.
    Ex-Geography.
  • Beuce said:

Are you in the list? :)

Yes bro... Got 112nd rank :)
  • April2015 said:

I was thinking to change optional for the upcoming last attempt. But now don't need to :-)

Had 108+131 last time..

More than change, it was lack of content which was main reason behind my debacle. I realized it late after reading Pratham's blog
    Scoring good in geography requires much more effort, at the same level as of mathematics etc.

Bina marksheet dekhe to abhi kya he bole..
  • edited April 7

Scoring good in geography requires much more effort, at the same level as of mathematics etc.

Can you please share what did you refer for geography? I've failed 4 times mains with geo, including this one.
    Prelims - 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018
    Mains - 2013 | 2014 | 2017 | 2018
    Interview - X

Geo
  • Beuce said:

Ye hui na baat..!! Remember talking to you when I was switching optional! Great news and wishing you lot of luck and success in future ventures!
    Ex-Geography.
  • edited April 7

April2015 said:

Had 108+131 last time..

More than change, it was lack of content which was main reason behind my debacle. I realized it late after reading Pratham's blog

I too realized it with each attempt. Right guidance is missing all the way.
    The teachers never give book references, yet still teach from there.

anyways there were good blogs in the past as u pointed. Still a lot can be learnt. Hope marks will be out in a week.
  • Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Ye hui na baat..!! Remember talking to you when I was switching optional! Great news and wishing you lot of luck and success in future ventures!
    Yes bro... Totally remember. Hope you will do wonders with psir...
    We both were victim of Geo :-P

Thanks for the wishes :)
  • Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Thanks! But I heard ki Iss bar Himanshu Sharma ki class se sirf logo ka hua tha interview ke liye,is that true? You didn't join it for 2018?
    Ex-Geography.
  • yeah couldn't find any guidance add this time, neither anything on their website!!
  • edited April 8
    Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Thanks! But I heard ki Iss bar Himanshu Sharma ki class se sirf logo ka hua tha interview ke liye,is that true? You didn't join it for 2018?
    Nahi bhai... To be fair, I don't join coachings based on fake promotion on the basis of some topper rank.
    I knew that toppers like Pratham are self made. See how much efforts he had put in this optional. Itna coaching walo Ko b Naa aata hoga.

I joined Neetu Mam test series, for the only reason that she checks herself. Which is important, because any experienced teacher will definitely identify faults in the answer. Although she couldn't give much time in comments in answers but personal interaction could help in knowing some mistakes.
    I'm not promoting her at all, but just saying ki experienced teacher or candidates se personal guidance se he answers ki kami pata lagti hai.

Although in my case, it was lack of rigorous effort in geo study, which was main factor behind my low scores.

I don't think structure etc. make too much difference, if you content and mastery of optional is perfect.

Put as much effort Pratham or Nandini has put, no one can stop one to get >300 in any optional..

PS: my optional is still my weakest paper among all 7 :-P
  • Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Nahi bhai... To be fair, I don't join coachings based on fake promotion on the basis of some topper rank.
    I knew that toppers like Pratham are self made. See how much efforts he had put on this optional. Itna coaching walo Ko b Naa aata hoga.

I joined Neetu Mam test series, for the only reason that she checks herself. Which is important, because any experienced teacher will definitely identify faults in the answer. Although she couldn't give much time in comments in answers but personal interaction could help in knowing some mistakes.
    I'm not promoting her at all, but just saying ki experienced teacher or candidates se personal guidance se he answers ki kami pata lagti hai.

Although in my case, it was lack of rigorous effort in geo study, which was main factor behind my low scores.

I don't think structure etc. make too much difference, if you content and mastery of optional is perfect.

Put as much effort Pratham or Nandini has put, no one can stop one to get <300 in any optional..
    PS: my optional is still my weakest paper among all 7 :-P</p>
    Thanks for encouraging maverick bhai :)
  • Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Beuce said:

I knew that toppers like Pratham are self made. See how much efforts he had put in this optional. Itna coaching walo Ko b Naa aata hoga.

Put as much effort Pratham or Nandini has put, no one can stop one to get >300 in any optional..

PS: my optional is still my weakest paper among all 7 :-P
    I just asked coz once you recommended me to go for Himanshu Sir class,thats why! And this time my friend went there,it was his third mains..so bs isiliye..anyways.all is well that ends well..:) too happy for you..be there as a guiding light for all us..
    Ex-Geography.
  • April2015 said:

Had 108+131 last time..

Bhai do write a blog or something about optional. I failed two mains Both because of poor performance in geography. I do feel the lack of content in my prep but can't find it in the recommended books. May be any particular test series can help??
    Sehar kareeb hai.. taaro ka haal kya hoga..
  • edited April 8

Beuce said:

Congrats bro. Don't forget to write detailed strategy for geography..
  • Which class should I join for geography optional 2020 batch
  • edited April 10
    samforu said:

Which class should I join for geography optional 2020 batch

Shabbir sir at vajiram and ravi
  • Were u student of Shabbir sir?
    How about Himanshu sir
  • samforu said:

Were u student of Shabbir sir?
    How about Himanshu sir

I have taken coaching from Shabbir sir.
  • April2015 said:

Had 108+131 last time..

good marks in geography and gs as well. Hope now u can tell what u did for improving content in optional . And would like to hear gs efforts in another thread.
  • @Maverick33 bro congrats for your phenomenal marks. Please share your strategy here...
  • any strategy by geography toppers this year.How all preparing map entries?
  • samforu said:

Which class should I join for geography optional 2020 batch

Better think of any other optional. :)
    Jay vijay paraajay kshan bhar hain Sangharsh paraakram anavarat___
    Lade chalo.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly