We are hiring!

Is ACIO job in IB suitable for UPSC preparation?

I already have a comfortable job for UPSC preparation but feeling pressure from family to join this one as it has more than double salary. I never thought I was UPSC material because I was always a low confidence person(I even failed TCS interview in college) & even with strangers I keep repeating what to say in my head while talking.

But my IB interview went very well and that only inspired me to prepare for UPSC. I really wanted to join IB and worked hard to crack this exam. But later my parents went through a lot of harassment as the local IB guys ran them in circles and threatened even me for verification of my OBC certificate. I almost thought I was rejected but a few days ago the joining letter finally came. It took almost a year after result!

I joined another job of a govt clerk 6 months ago and it is far from home and urban area but I have around 6 hours of study time so I can't complain. My studies are going nicely but I still feel like it would take 1 more year to cover entire UPSC syllabus. The office staff is also friendly and supportive. This will probably not be the case in IB.

I am hearing that it is very strict 24 hours kind of job with frequent transfers and you don't even get approval for sitting in exams in time. All the trouble my parents went through also made me loose interest.

I feel like I would regret not joining IB in the end if I fail to qualify UPSC and if I join IB & don't get time for preparation I will always be thinking that I had the potential to qualify UPSC.

Are there any ACIO who are preparing for UPSC? Is it possible? or is the job too hectic?

Anyone else preparing for UPSC with a high pressure job?

What can I say to justify leaving ACIO job to my family if I do that?

Its funny, when I was unemployed I thought life would be less stressful if I get a job but now I have and the stress is making me not study anything.

Comments

• Life is all about making choices, if i would have been at your place I would have stick to clerical work because pressure is very less and you can easily get leave without pay whenever you desire. Same is not possible with IB. Pay wise you may be rewarded but I think it is better to give 2-3 attempts and then change the job.

If you are in state govt job and not a bank clerk then better to stick to your home state. In IB you may not have that kind of linkage. But if you are a bank clerk then I think you can join IB.
  • What is your age and no of attempt you are left with??IB wil not satisfy you if you can are a hardcore UPSC aspirant.
  • ias007 said:

What is your age and no of attempt you are left with??IB wil not satisfy you if you can are a hardcore UPSC aspirant.

Seven attempts left. Age 24
  • naughty said:

Life is all about making choices, if i would have been at your place I would have stick to clerical work because pressure is very less and you can easily get leave without pay whenever you desire. Same is not possible with IB. Pay wise you may be rewarded but I think it is better to give 2-3 attempts and then change the job.

If you are in state govt job and not a bank clerk then better to stick to your home state. In IB you may not have that kind of linkage. But if you are a bank clerk then I think you can join IB.

It is a Tax Assistant job. Promotions are good but it is very far from my home. It takes 36 hours to reach home and no scope for home posting so long term prospects are not ideal.
  • Just stick to it and prepare for upsc, forget home and home sickness, in bureaucracy you will not have social life , it's very tough and emotionally tortouring, so be strong and prepare well for upsc only. Leave IB at this stage. If you prepare well for upsc you can clear it at age of 33 also
  • @namelessone
    I would suggest this approach.

Rather than thinking what you do and what your job profile is, think of it as "some" or
    "any" of the job which an aspiring Civil Services Aspirant is allowed to do as "financial backup" to prepare for studies.

As a Senior Player,
    and who has worked at two places, one before starting the preparation and one after having spend some years into preparation, I will say, do not treat your Job very seriously.
    Do the basic minimum with complete honesty and leave as soon as your work gets done.

UPSC is a big Equalizer, smart to average, rich to poor all are treated alike, so if you will attach too much significance to your special case, you will have less energy and time left to compete.

Lastly,
    As a daily Mantra please remember this.
    "If there are two tasks you have to choose from, One which you must do(dedicated 5 hours preparation, come what may) and Second, which you can do(ie. taking more interest and pleasure into and from Job), then always choose what you "must do".

Hope this ends your trouble.

Good Luck.
  • I was an Auditor in cgda. Quite a relaxing job still I wasn't able to prepare because preparing for upsc with job needs extreme motivation which isn't there in everyone. If you are able to prepare in TA, don't go for ACIO if you wanna go for upsc. On the other hand, if you have cleared ACIO, you can work cgl again with better marks and land some 4600gp job. Even if all that fails, Dept exams are there in IT Dept and once you become ITI, it is better than being ACIO in many aspects. Don't join acio and prepare for upsc.
    Sehar kareeb hai.. taaro ka haal kya hoga..
  • I was an Auditor in cgda. Quite a relaxing job still I wasn't able to prepare because preparing for upsc with job needs extreme motivation which isn't there in everyone. If you are able to prepare in TA, don't go for ACIO if you wanna go for upsc. On the other hand, if you have cleared ACIO, you can work cgl again with better marks and land some 4600gp job. Even if all that fails, Dept exams are there in IT Dept and once you become ITI, it is better than being ACIO in many aspects. Don't join acio and prepare for upsc.

What are you doing now sir?
    :)
  • 1. Plz don't call me sir. I don't deserve it.
    2. I am focusing solely on upsc. Will be my third attempt this time. Written mains in both last attempts so I want an improvement this time bro.
    Sehar kareeb hai.. taaro ka haal kya hoga..
  • ias007 said:

What is your age and no of attempt you are left with??IB wil not satisfy you if you can are a hardcore UPSC aspirant.

Seven attempts left. Age 24
    You are quite young.Extend IB ACIO joining and give this attempt with full force.Rest decide after prelims.Search for IB ACIO job scenario on forum and quora and decide wisely based on your condition.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly