Current Affairs Revision Classes + Answer Writing For Mains 2019 
the one class you can bank upon to ace Mains 2019
Don't just believe what we say, your first class is on us. Attend by registering HERE
STARTS 24th June | 5 PM

Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Failed my 4th Mains due to Geo

I just can't seem to understand from where to prepare? The answer to the questions aren't in the books that I've been reading and the notes that I am referring to. Anyone who cleared mains in geography, can you please share which books and notes you have referred?
Prelims - 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018
Mains - 2013 | 2014 | 2017 | 2018
Interview - X

Geo

Comments

• What have your marks been?
  • I just can't seem to understand from where to prepare? The answer to the questions aren't in the books that I've been reading and the notes that I am referring to. Anyone who cleared mains in geography, can you please share which books and notes you have referred?</blockquot

;eave upsc try state psc

Sunate The Ham Yeh Jindagee, Gham Aur Khushee Kaa Mel Hai
    Hamko Magar Aaya Najar, Yeh Jindagee Woh Khel Hai
    Koyee Sab Jite Sab Koyee Haar De, Apanee Toh Har Hai
  • I just can't seem to understand from where to prepare? The answer to the questions aren't in the books that I've been reading and the notes that I am referring to. Anyone who cleared mains in geography, can you please share which books and notes you have referred?

First, can you share which all sources have you referred to? It happens that everyone uses the same resources but end up scattered all across the marks spectrum. We can then go ahead and see your approach to the subject and see what has been lacking.
    Prelims - 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018
    Mains - 2016 | 2017 | 2018
    Interview - 2016 | 2017 | 2018
    Final list - X
  • edited February 25
    Interview - X

Geo
  • edited February 25
    Interview - X

Geo
  • I just can't seem to understand from where to prepare? The answer to the questions aren't in the books that I've been reading and the notes that I am referring to. Anyone who cleared mains in geography, can you please share which books and notes you have referred?

First, can you share which all sources have you referred to? It happens that everyone uses the same resources but end up scattered all across the marks spectrum. We can then go ahead and see your approach to the subject and see what has been lacking.
    Alok Ranjan class notes.
    Himanshu Sharma 500+.
    Savendra Singh Physical Geography.
    Indian geography khullar (though I skipped a lot of chapters. Had no idea about pipelines).
    Rupa Made Simple (both physical and human).

By the way, how was the interview?
    Interview - X

Geo

I will. I have a few attempts left hence I will give upsc first.
    Interview - X

Geo
  • What have your marks been?

2017 Mains:
    Geo 1 - 118
    Geo 2 - 110
    Interview - X

Geo
  • I left Geography last year,but my scores were 245 in the first attempt.
    Prelims=1 ,Mains= 1, Interview=0
    Essay-141 , GS-396 , PSIR Optional.
    Ex-Geography.
  • yaar geo aur pubad chor do .... specially agar genral ho to...
    nahi to tumhare bachhe bhi yahi puchte fire gen
  • Beuce said:

I left Geography last year,but my scores were 245 in the first attempt.

Which year?
    Interview - X

Geo
  • Beuce said:

Which year?
    Last year,2017!(The year of most unexpected Geography paper)
    104 and 141 in Paper 1 and 2 respectivey(
    Ex-Geography.
  • edited February 25
    Please post you GS marks too. There might be another reason.
    Prelims 2, Mains 2 Sociology
    Happy to help.
  • Acidpop said:

And hence this post. For 2018 mains, I improved my GS by religiously following Vision IAS test series. I'm surely getting better marks than 2017 mains.

2017 Marks:
    Essay: 141
    GS 1: 89
    GS 2: 82
    GS 3: 100
    GS 4: 75
    Geo 1: 118
    Geo 2: 110
    Interview - X

Geo
  • Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Which year?
    How was the CSIR mains this year?
    Interview - X

Geo

Alok Ranjan class notes.
    Himanshu Sharma 500+.
    Indian geography khullar (though I skipped a lot of chapters. Had no idea about pipelines).

From your source list it seems like you have focused less on human geography part especially paper 1 Section B. Try making human geography as your strength as ROI is very high for human geography. Other than that try joining any crash course cum test series of either Shabbir sir or Guidance 500+ program and see what they give feedback on your answers. Let the marks come out and then see what went wrong. It might be possible this time you have got good marks in optional..
  • Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Which year?
    Didn't attempt last year due to change in optional! But I had it in my PG so I hope I would do well in it..
    Ex-Geography.
  • Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Which year?
    Didn't attempt last year due to change in optional! But I had it in my PG so I hope I would do well in it..
    Best of luck.
    Interview - X

Geo
  • Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Which year?
    Best of luck.
    Did you miss the mains cutoff again?in 2018?
    Ex-Geography.
  • Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Beuce said:

Which year?
    Best of luck.
    Did you miss the mains cutoff again?in 2018?
    Yes.
    Interview - X

Geo
  • edited February 25

Acidpop said:

And hence this post. For 2018 mains, I improved my GS by religiously following Vision IAS test series. I'm surely getting better marks than 2017 mains.

2017 Marks:
    der r several possible explanations ... gs poor. The gs test you followed this year, gave how many tests? Marks of last 4 tests?
  • edited February 26

Acidpop said:

2017 Marks:
    I had very similar marks in 2017 for GS. This presents you with a dilemma that you can only solve when the marks come out. Take a risk, do not read Geo until then. But please focus on GS2 and 4 right now, even gs1. You'll anyway have to drop a attempt to change your optional, if you decide to, that is. All the best.
    Happy to help.
  • April2015 said:

Acidpop said:

2017 Marks:
    der r several possible explanations ... gs poor. The gs test you followed this year, gave how many tests? Marks of last 4 tests?

Though I skipped 4 tests due to lack of time, I think my gs in 2018 was way better than 2017.
    Interview - X

Geo
  • April2015 said:

Acidpop said:

2017 Marks:
    Yes, that would give us a rough idea. And also, geography tests marks if any, bc 220 in the third attempt doesn't fit until some shit went down
    Happy to help.
  • Acidpop said:

April2015 said:

Acidpop said:

2017 Marks:
    Yes, that would give us a rough idea. And also, geography tests marks if any, bc 220 in the third attempt doesn't fit until some shit went down

Though I skipped 4 tests due to lack of time, I think my gs in 2018 was way better than 2017.
    Interview - X

Geo

Alok Ranjan class notes.
    Himanshu Sharma 500+.

I don't know who Alok Ranjan is. First time I'm hearing this name. My study material has been as follows:
    1. Physical geography - Savindra Singh
    2. Geomorphology - Savindra Singh ( 3 chapters only - the one in the beginning about fundamentals, slope development and theories of landform development)
    3. Biogeography - Examrace free videos on youtube + Shabbir notes from ORN market
    4. For Human Geography refer to Sudipta Adhikari for Chapters on Determinism, Possiblism, Quantitative Revolution and Critical Revolution (supplement with Examrace free videos on Youtube)
    5. Models and Theories - Majid Hussain
    6. Economic Geography - Mostly issue based so you need to be well versed with current affairs (especially as far as energy use goes)
    7. Indian Geography - D R Khullar (don't skip basic things such as pipelines) . This book has really helped me a lot.

As you go along attempt previous 25 years questions from that topic wise pdf available on directionias website. A lot of the questions/topics are repeated . Doing these questions actually reduces effort.

Interview is yet to happen.
    Final list - X

Alok Ranjan class notes.
    Himanshu Sharma 500+.

I don't know who Alok Ranjan is. First time I'm hearing this name. My study material has been as follows:
    2. Geomorphology - Savindra Singh ( 3 chapters only - the one in the beginning about fundamentals, slope development and theories of landform development)
    3. Biogeography - Examrace free videos on youtube + Shabbir notes from ORN market
    4. For Human Geography refer to Sudipta Adhikari for Chapters on Determinism, Possiblism, Quantitative Revolution and Critical Revolution (supplement with Examrace free videos on Youtube)
    6. Economic Geography - Mostly issue based so you need to be well versed with current affairs (especially as far as energy use goes)
    7. Indian Geography - D R Khullar (don't skip basic things such as pipelines) . This book has really helped me a lot.

As you go along attempt previous 25 years questions from that topic wise pdf available on directionias website. A lot of the questions/topics are repeated . Doing these questions actually reduces effort.

Brother can u please elaborate on Dr. Khullar ( chapters like industries ,regional planning) need to be completed from it or is there any alternative for that

Alok Ranjan class notes.
    Himanshu Sharma 500+.

Best of luck bro. Once I start preparing for Geo after pre, I am going to ask you a lot of questions.
    Interview - X

Geo
  • litt_2019 said:

I just can't seem to understand from where to prepare? The answer to the questions aren't in the books that I've been reading and the notes that I am referring to. Anyone who cleared mains in geography, can you please share which books and notes you have referred?

Alok Ranjan class notes.
    Himanshu Sharma 500+.

Brother can u please elaborate on Dr. Khullar ( chapters like industries ,regional planning) need to be completed from it or is there any alternative for that
    I don't know dude. The reason why I started this thread is because I can't seem to figure out what to study and what not to study. You can check the replies of many people in this thread.
    Interview - X

Geo
  • litt_2019 said:

Alok Ranjan class notes.
    Himanshu Sharma 500+.

Say you want to do the Manufacturing Industries chapter - only pick the industries mentioned in the syllabus and prepare those. Don't read the book cover to cover, have your syllabus open in front of you. You can easily cover everything from that book. Also if you check questions from regional planning, you get pretty straightforward questions every year. But your first task should be to mark out all the topics relevant to the syllabus from your book and only read those.
    Final list - X
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly