ISRO launches radar imaging observation satellite RISAT-2B Oman author Jokha Al Harthi wins Booker International Prize UAE launches ‘Golden Card’ scheme to woo wealthy investors, exceptional talents Panel submits a report on reducing oil import dependency Shyam Saran to be conferred with Japan’s ‘Order of the Rising Sun’ award
All India Open Prelims Simulator Test X
Start Now
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Prelims 2019 : Time is now

edited February 16 in Miscellaneous
with so many people indulging in different debates across social networks , i think this needs to be said

only around hundred days are remaining for prelims , we all must focus our energies towards giving the best for these 100 days

use next 3-4 days to get things in order and try to follow a schedule , which must include and take care of

1. Covering the Static

Now a days everyone is so fixed on covering Current affairs that we tend to skip static topics , ROI on static part is most and revision is the key . if you are not fully done with the static portion , do it now , even if it takes a month or two to cover and revise. If you are already done with it . , Revise! . revising for at least 3 times is the key to deliver in the examination hall.

2. Organise / Discipline yourself

due to our assumption that UPSC means Unpredictable , we tend to refer as many sources we can , spending endless hours in one topic at times . Donot. Make a routine / Timetable / Target beforehand and stick to it no matter what , if somehow something doesnt gets covered , give the extra effort and complete it the next day .

3. Current affairs

Stick to your notes that you have prepared for Prelims over the last year from newspapers for prelims , and even if you haven't (like me) , don't worry , do any one compilation in market and that too not cover to cover . remember that CA will make your qualification ( clearing prelims) easier , but compromising on the static is sure shot recipe for failure .

4. Tests
Give at least 50 prelims tests and revise the weak links, the topics you consistently get confused upon ,. i personally feat the questions where i am confused in two options , yes probability says it will be right 50% of times , but it never does , clarity is the key.

5. Health
Don't Ignore your health , a bad week can jeopardize your whole month's prep . eat healthy , do brisk walk , keep yourself energised

6. Loneliness / Depression / Fear

Remember everyone goes through this , and most of us are scared too , being scared is good it means you care . talk to people , have some me time , watch movie to refresh your mind , as Arushi mishra mam said in her recent talk , one must waste time , but waste it constructively

Miscellaneous
  • Focus on marks fetching subjects and master them via revision of limited source , eg MIH , Polity, Economy , Geography
  • Do Not ignore subjects like Art and culture , ancient , have a decent enough understanding that if a tackable question comes you are able to make an informed guess
  • Write down schedule with pen and parer , literally write it down and stick it where you study
  • Minimise internet usage , use just and just for very specific things and keep fixed slot for it
  • Give your best shot . like there is no tomorrow , as they say "aar ya paar ki ladai "

UPSC Prelims 2019

motionmailapp.com
HUSTLE

Comments

• edited February 16
    ^^ this clock sent chill down my spine
    tick tock tick tock :dizzy:
  • Pressure cooker ban gya m ye html clock dekhkr.
    爱屋及乌
  • Bhains ki ankh bas 105 din :sweat_smile:
    :)
  • edited February 16

nice initiative

• edited February 16
    not able to share material
  • @Ashwin_Ias , Forum is facing technical glitches, can you please upload the material in google drive and share the link :)
  • notification date?
  • edited February 16
    notification date?
  • attila said:

notification date?

19 feb
  • with so many people indulging in different debates across social networks , i think this needs to be said

only around hundred days are remaining for prelims , we all must focus our energies towards giving the best for these 100 days

use next 3-4 days to get things in order and try to follow a schedule , which must include and take care of

1. Covering the Static

Now a days everyone is so fixed on covering Current affairs that we tend to skip static topics , ROI on static part is most and revision is the key . if you are not fully done with the static portion , do it now , even if it takes a month or two to cover and revise. If you are already done with it . , Revise! . revising for at least 3 times is the key to deliver in the examination hall.

due to our assumption that UPSC means Unpredictable , we tend to refer as many sources we can , spending endless hours in one topic at times . Donot. Make a routine / Timetable / Target beforehand and stick to it no matter what , if somehow something doesnt gets covered , give the extra effort and complete it the next day .

3. Current affairs

Stick to your notes that you have prepared for Prelims over the last year from newspapers for prelims , and even if you haven't (like me) , don't worry , do any one compilation in market and that too not cover to cover . remember that CA will make your qualification ( clearing prelims) easier , but compromising on the static is sure shot recipe for failure .

4. Tests
    Give at least 50 prelims tests and revise the weak links, the topics you consistently get confused upon ,. i personally feat the questions where i am confused in two options , yes probability says it will be right 50% of times , but it never does , clarity is the key.

5. Health
    Don't Ignore your health , a bad week can jeopardize your whole month's prep . eat healthy , do brisk walk , keep yourself energised

Remember everyone goes through this , and most of us are scared too , being scared is good it means you care . talk to people , have some me time , watch movie to refresh your mind , as Arushi mishra mam said in her recent talk , one must waste time , but waste it constructively

Miscellaneous

• Focus on marks fetching subjects and master them via revision of limited source , eg MIH , Polity, Economy , Geography
    • Do Not ignore subjects like Art and culture , ancient , have a decent enough understanding that if a tackable question comes you are able to make an informed guess
    • Write down schedule with pen and parer , literally write it down and stick it where you study
    • Minimise internet usage , use just and just for very specific things and keep fixed slot for it
    • Give your best shot . like there is no tomorrow , as they say "aar ya paar ki ladai "

UPSC Prelims 2019

motionmailapp.com
    Sir test series k notes bnae ya bs test series k booklet ko hi padh le ..notes making taking lot of time
    I maybe anyone but i dont belong to anyone.
  • ash007 said:

with so many people indulging in different debates across social networks , i think this needs to be said

1. Covering the Static

3. Current affairs

4. Tests

5. Health

Miscellaneous

UPSC Prelims 2019

motionmailapp.com
    Sir test series k notes bnae ya bs test series k booklet ko hi padh le ..notes making taking lot of time
    For tests , just revise the questions that u are unable to do and those specifically where u get confused b/w two options.

And always remember to follow the 80:20 rule .

Focus 80% time on core issues that will fetch you marks , and 20% on those that will make your selection easy
    Similarly 80:20 rule can be applied everywhere
    HUSTLE
  • ash007 said:

1. Covering the Static

3. Current affairs

4. Tests

5. Health

Miscellaneous

UPSC Prelims 2019

motionmailapp.com
    For tests , just revise the questions that u are unable to do and those specifically where u get confused b/w two options.

Focus 80% time on core issues that will fetch you marks , and 20% on those that will make your selection easy
    Sir , please elaborate this 80:20 rule and I'm making notes of test series , mistakes I'm committing. Takes almost 2.5 hours to review.
    爱屋及乌
  • edited February 16

ash007 said:

1. Covering the Static

3. Current affairs

4. Tests

5. Health

Miscellaneous

UPSC Prelims 2019

motionmailapp.com

Sir , please elaborate this 80:20 rule and I'm making notes of test series , mistakes I'm committing. Takes almost 2.5 hours to review.
    Notes making for test series is waste of timr , just highlight , write on margins of the solution , and then make 1 A4 page compilation for the test (preferably just one side)
    HUSTLE
  • For ancient and medieval history is TN state board book (class 12) sufficient ? I have not read old NCERTs for ancient and medieval history but have read TN history book.
  • Dead Man said:

For ancient and medieval history is TN state board book (class 12) sufficient ? I have not read old NCERTs for ancient and medieval history but have read TN history book.

Hey, dead man.

TN 12 class book sets the chronology and south indian empire chapters are also good..but now history questions are deeper than ever and you have time with you. Do these things:

1. TN book
    2. NCERT new ones class 12 part 1 and part2
    3. NCERT 6,7 and 8 also if you can. Some questions are directly picked up from boxes.
    4. Nitin Singhania book is enough or you can say single best source for art and culture

Overall theme of ancient and mediaeval is art and culture only. You will get all marks you can with this much and test papers :) good luck
  • is science & technology necessary for prilms .
    if yes please suggest any source other than NCERT . i found ncert is to much leanthy.
  • is science & technology necessary for prilms .
    if yes please suggest any source other than NCERT . i found ncert is to much leanthy.

Considering current pattern since last 3-4 years, there is no need to do static portion of science. Science questions do make a good portion of current affairs. So you need to do science from newspaper or CA compilation.

If that does not satisfy your needs, for static portion of science, do lucent. Nothing more requires to be done.
  • I am really struggling with environment...I am following Shankar ias book....can anyone suggest me how to handle environment and which areas should I need to focus more?
  • Jhelum_ said:

I am really struggling with environment...I am following Shankar ias book....can anyone suggest me how to handle environment and which areas should I need to focus more?

From prelims perspective if you are referring to the Shankar book then focus should be on following chapters :
    Part - 2 - (1) Protected Area Network (2) Conservation efforts of India
    Part- 3 - (1) India and climate change, (2) Climate change organizations
    Part - 5 - (1) Acts and Policies (2) Institutions and Measures (3) Environment Organizations (4) International Environment Conventions
    - For conceptual understanding part of the environment like ecosystems, pollution, climate change etc you can refer NCERTs or even Shankar book will be sufficient
    -Most important part don't ignore environment related current affairs
  • I don't think dis is the ra8 thread to discuss about the nmbr of vacancies coming this year, guyzz any insider info
  • Cgpsc prelims 2018 que

• FB_IMG_1550398881375.jpg
    1137 x 640 - 44K
  • notification shd come by Monday midnight if it is 19th, right?
  • attila said:

notification shd come by Monday midnight if it is 19th, right?

Bhai form filling starts after notification?????
  • plzhelp said:

attila said:

notification shd come by Monday midnight if it is 19th, right?

Bhai form filling starts after notification?????
    Every year form filling starts on midnight IIRC. Hence was expecting the same ab thoda gap hua hai though in attempts

Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google