Despite being the 3rd largest,Indian startup ecosystem ranked even below Estonia,Ireland,Germany SC seeks replies from Centre,J&K on highway traffic ban Digital infra to play a key role in reviving economy RBI to assess if Indiabulls is ‘fit and proper’ No input tax credit if GST returns not filed, says HC
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims From 2011-18 | Read Here→

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

SDM through state pcs or IForestService.

I got sdm through bpsc.Shoild I attempt for IFoS ?

Comments

• @Neyawn sir your insights will be much appreciated :)
  • cskn said:

IFoS is all India services. You will work with ministries, parliament and go to foreign often.

Though you don't become a public administrator like SDM, IFoS is a position of elites.
  • Ifos always . No comparison with state pcs jobs even if sdm.
  • try_hard said:

Ifos always . No comparison with state pcs jobs even if sdm.

Second it. No comparison.
  • edited February 2
    in Bihar promotions are pathetic, an SDM will become ADM in roughly 15-20 years and DDC in around 30 years. Majority will retire here only. So, effectively at 58 years of age your boss may be a directly recruited UPSC IAS officer of somewhere around 27-28 years of age. IFos will be much better IMO.
  • If you want work satisfaction and prestige and recognition then bureaucracy is the best option, except upto IRS level group A services, all others are very much routine in nature and you will get boared after sometime. You may get promotion but without change in work profile

So best is you just now opt for 4 services only ias ips irs only. SDM is better then rest of others. just go and observe one day work in sdm office your perception Will change immediately
  • Thanks for suggestions
  • work profile of an ifos is rather boring and monotonous , while an sdm has a pretty interesting work profile .
  • edited February 2
    Congratulations :)
    Ifos any day perks prestige power promotion upto higher level 4P :p
    Frequent tours life is full of fun n joy unlike sdm too much work load political public official pressure money n muscle required for plum m postings :)
  • Jpsc rank1 is working as IFoS. Any day All India Services+IRS(IT)
  • naughty said:

If you want work satisfaction and prestige and recognition then bureaucracy is the best option, except upto IRS level group A services, all others are very much routine in nature and you will get boared after sometime. You may get promotion but without change in work profile

So best is you just now opt for 4 services only ias ips irs only. SDM is better then rest of others. just go and observe one day work in sdm office your perception Will change immediately

+1
    Finally, one comment which sums it up.

If you want power and respect, want to work for the people and actually bring a change, choose SDM over IFoS any day of the week. Yes, promotions may be slow, but you will always remain mainstream an relevant.

If you want your power and respect confined to your AC chamber only, choose IFoS. You may get promoted and even become equivalent to Addl. Secretary (which is usually a metro zoo head for IFoS. True!) but you will still not leave any mark. Except, maybe saving some chimpanzees or occasionally catching Jyoti Randhawa or Salman Khan, if you are really lucky. You will go in service unknown and retire unknown.
    2013, 2014 - Mains*
    2015 - Interview*
    2016 - IRS (C&CE)
    2017 - IPS
    2018 - Prelims, Mains, Personality Test*
  • naughty said:

If you want work satisfaction and prestige and recognition then bureaucracy is the best option, except upto IRS level group A services, all others are very much routine in nature and you will get boared after sometime. You may get promotion but without change in work profile

+1
    Finally, one comment which sums it up.

If you want power and respect, want to work for the people and actually bring a change, choose SDM over IFoS any day of the week. Yes, promotions may be slow, but you will always remain mainstream an relevant.

If you want your power and respect confined to your AC chamber only, choose IFoS. You may get promoted and even become equivalent to Addl. Secretary (which is usually a metro zoo head for IFoS. True!) but you will still not leave any mark. Except, maybe saving some chimpanzees or occasionally catching Jyoti Randhawa or Salman Khan, if you are really lucky. You will go in service unknown and retire unknown.
    Sir but what is this?
    main-qimg-8afdb70de0043a7e16608107ada11cda.jpeg
    602 x 647 - 129K
  • edited February 9
    cskn said:

Please do give ifos. It's an all India service and the two services cannot be compared at all. The level of exposure and learning is greater in ifos.

You will have opportunities to work under diverse portfolios in both inside the country and outside the country.

If you want to have a look at the career progression of someone in ifos, have a look at this. He is my friend's father.

https://in.linkedin.com/in/dr-suresh-gairola-2b317527

All the best.
  • edited February 9
    cskn said:

Yes, yes, yes and a thousand times yes! And if you want an idea about their life, please follow Parveen Kaswan. For more insights you can read https://www.quora.com/How-is-the-life-of-an-Indian-Forest-Service-officer-How-much-is-the-job-valued-and-how-rewarding-is-it-regarding-money-and-satisfaction-when-compared-to-IAS-IPS-How-risky-is-the-job-given-the-presence-of-smugglers-and-poachers

You will get to know what it is to be in one of the prestigious services. And D.F.O officials are amongst the top 5 officials of a district, the other four being DM,SP, District Judge and CMO.

And last but not the least its one of the three AIS! So go for it!
    Hawa hawai
  • @jack_dawson When is your interview?
    Hawa hawai
  • krrkrr
    edited February 9
  • havelsfan said:

cskn said:

Yes, yes, yes and a thousand times yes! And if you want an idea about their life, please follow Parveen Kaswan. For more insights you can read https://www.quora.com/How-is-the-life-of-an-Indian-Forest-Service-officer-How-much-is-the-job-valued-and-how-rewarding-is-it-regarding-money-and-satisfaction-when-compared-to-IAS-IPS-How-risky-is-the-job-given-the-presence-of-smugglers-and-poachers

You will get to know what it is to be in one of the prestigious services. And D.F.O officials are amongst the top 5 officials of a district, the other four being DM,SP, District Judge and CMO.

And last but not the least its one of the three AIS! So go for it!
    And being an SDM is anyday better than being a CMO. Finally it boils down to one's own self. If you are a recluse, IFoS for you. If you have friends and family who want you to be there for them when trouble strikes willingly or unwillingly, you better be a SDM than an IFoS.
    Sehar kareeb hai.. taaro ka haal kya hoga..
  • New recruits in any service will always be enthusiastic about their service and will always praise it. That's a corollary of the classic "Zeal of the Convert" effect. The gentleman IFoS Trainee on Quora is from that category.

Yes, in job of a DC/SDM (through PCS) promotions are a drawback. You will probably retire as a Divisional Commissioner. But the diversity of service and avenues to use your skills are unmatched for a SDM. Whether they are managerial skills, judgmental skills or people skills. SDM has his own revenue court as a part of his magisterial powers, a privilege accorded only to general administration officers. And you will be the frontline fire fighter in any shitstorm - riots, rallies or rapes.

IFoS is a soft technocracy while SDM is pure bureaucracy. As a SDM you may not get to travel to conferences as much as your DFO but your jeep itself will command respect on the streets of any Indian hinterland town.

But in the end, it's all matter of personal choice. All the best @cskn
    2013, 2014 - Mains*
    2015 - Interview*
    2016 - IRS (C&CE)
    2017 - IPS
  • New recruits in any service will always be enthusiastic about their service and will always praise it. That's a corollary of the classic "Zeal of the Convert" effect. The gentleman IFoS Trainee on Quora is from that category.

Yes, in job of a DC/SDM (through PCS) promotions are a drawback. You will probably retire as a Divisional Commissioner. But the diversity of service and avenues to use your skills are unmatched for a SDM. Whether they are managerial skills, judgmental skills or people skills. SDM has his own revenue court as a part of his magisterial powers, a privilege accorded only to general administration officers. And you will be the frontline fire fighter in any shitstorm - riots, rallies or rapes.

IFoS is a soft technocracy while SDM is pure bureaucracy. As a SDM you may not get to travel to conferences as much as your DFO but your jeep itself will command respect on the streets of any Indian hinterland town.

which service befits one if he doesn't care about power, prestige and helping the poor , downtrodden man; rather travel, cuisine, books and finding time for self reflection piques his interest.
  • edited February 9
    Try to figure out what you want from your life ..going after power,status has no ends and it is relative ..IFoS is Peaceful service with Significant diversity. Rest you can better decide yourself what you want from yout life.
    IFoS 2017.. :)
  • edited February 10
    In my opinion, SDM is better than IFoS. The power, prestige and charm of SDM is not comparable with IFoS. Everyone in the city knows about SDM, but very few have heard name of DFO. SDM have real power over police and administration while IFoS area is restricted to forest and environment. IFoS may get depuation in ministries, but its the filed posting which have real charm and power. Anyways IFoS will never get important ministries like Finance, Home etc.

Deputation and diversity is better in SDM, you will get to become CEO of Janpad Panchayat, Zila Panchayat, Commissioner of Nagar Nigam, Director and MD of other Nigams etc and if you get promoted to IAS then you can become DM and Secretary of important ministries. However there are some drawback of SDM/Deputy collector, as many have already said about promotion, its very slow for SDM/Deputy collector. Its a very hectic job and you will have to handle political pressure. Most importantly you will not be always SDM, SDM is a plum posting and you will not be SDM all the time. Many times you will be in collector office, as deputy collector in charge of some work of collector office.

IFoS is also a very good service, in my state IFoS are made CEO of Zila Panchayat, Nagar Nigam Commissioner, director of many departments like rural development and panchayati raj, Few Secretaries are also from IFoS, current PWD secretary of my state is IFoS. Tribal, culture and Tourism department are mostly run by IFoS in my state. Political pressure is minimal in IFoS and they have lots of servants, staff, rangers etc and financial power when they are in Field. IFoS is better than any other state psc job except SDM/Deputy collector.

In my opinion you must leave SDM for IAS IPS IFS (Foreign) and IRS only.

• I have heard that two IRS ppl appeared for bpsc interview
  • Nirwana said:

I have heard that two IRS ppl appeared for bpsc interview

IRS IT or Custom and Excise?

I know a IAAS who left it for deputy collector post in my state.
  • In my opinion, SDM is better than IFoS. The power, prestige and charm of SDM is not comparable with IFoS. Everyone in the city knows about SDM, but very few have heard name of DFO. SDM have real power over police and administration while IFoS area is restricted to forest and environment. IFoS may get depuation in ministries, but its the filed posting which have real charm and power. Anyways IFoS will never get important ministries like Finance, Home etc.

Deputation and diversity is better in SDM, you will get to become CEO of Janpad Panchayat, Zila Panchayat, Commissioner of Nagar Nigam, Director and MD of other Nigams etc and if you get promoted to IAS then you can become DM and Secretary of important ministries. However there are some drawback of SDM/Deputy collector, as many have already said about promotion, its very slow for SDM/Deputy collector. Its a very hectic job and you will have to handle political pressure. Most importantly you will not be always SDM, SDM is a plum posting and you will not be SDM all the time. Many times you will be in collector office, as deputy collector in charge of some work of collector office.

IFoS is also a very good service, in my state IFoS are made CEO of Zila Panchayat, Nagar Nigam Commissioner, director of many departments like rural development and panchayati raj, Few Secretaries are also from IFoS, current PWD secretary of my state is IFoS. Tribal, culture and Tourism department are mostly run by IFoS in my state. Political pressure is minimal in IFoS and they have lots of servants, staff, rangers etc and financial power when they are in Field. IFoS is better than any other state psc job except SDM/Deputy collector.

In my opinion you must leave SDM for IAS IPS IFS (Foreign) and IRS only.

actually there are many equivalent posts which have been created solely for state PCS officers. For example in UP, state service officers get promoted to city magistrate after 6 years of service and additional district magistrate after 8 years of service :)
  • Nirwana said:

I have heard that two IRS ppl appeared for bpsc interview

IRS IT or Custom and Excise?

I know a IAAS who left it for deputy collector post in my state.
    That I'm not sure ....may be custom ho....IRS(IT) shayad koi nhi chodna chahega

*an SDM, not a SDM. Vokay Vokay bye :trollface:
  • Sdm post is good only when NOT posted in Secretariat else you will be frustrated like anything.
  • chank said:

Sdm post is good only when NOT posted in Secretariat else you will be frustrated like anything.

Sachivalaya me kya post milta hai?
    Kya koi whole life bhi sachivalaya me posted rah sakta hai
  • devblink said:

chank said:

Sdm post is good only when NOT posted in Secretariat else you will be frustrated like anything.

Sachivalaya me kya post milta hai?
    Kya koi whole life bhi sachivalaya me posted rah sakta hai
    Agar state service se selection hua hai toh it's impossible ki whole life sachivalaya mein posting hogi
    Kyunki kisi bhi state mein SDM mostly state service se hote hai

• In my opinion you must leave SDM for IAS IPS IFS (Foreign) and IRS only.

In my opinion you must leave SDM for IAS and IPS only.

IFS (Foreign) is a big pain in the ass service. You will spend your days currying favors for posting back in India and worrying whether your spouse is cheating on you back home!! Else be ready to marry a house husband/wife.

And IRS is simply a bank manager job with a different designation.
    2013, 2014 - Mains*
    2015 - Interview*
    2016 - IRS (C&CE)
    2017 - IPS
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google