SC - Wants to appear as General

Hi,

I am 26 years old and belong to SC category. I have given three attempts. Recently I have got a government job through SC quota.

Now, can I further attempts under General Category? Or I have to compulsorily use my quota?

Thanks

Comments

• Yes you can apply under general category but why you want to adventure in the first place ?
    SC cutoff generally remains low compared to general so selection chances going to get adversely affected
  • Yes you can apply under general category but why you want to adventure in the first place ?
    SC cutoff generally remains low compared to general so selection chances going to get adversely affected

no he can't. I read in an editorial sone 2 3 months back where the author argued that a SC candidate can't appear as a general. I am not able to find that article now but it was during the issue of reservation of promotion of st/sc and the something related to Nagraj judgement.
    2016 Interview out
    2017 prelims out
    2018 prelims out
    2019 Do or Die
  • edited January 7

2016 Interview out
    2017 prelims out
    2018 prelims out
    2019 Do or Die

I was not aware of this.

no he can't. I read in an editorial sone 2 3 months back where the author argued that a SC candidate can't appear as a general. I am not able to find that article now but it was during the issue of reservation of promotion of st/sc and the something related to Nagraj judgement.
    Yes I have also read the same thing. That's why the question

Donot spread misinformation here , You are completely wrong here . The OP can appear as SC candidate no matter if he is employed or not
  • edited January 7
    om03 said:

Yes you can apply under general category but why you want to adventure in the first place ?

No bro there is nothing like that , i know IRS people appearing as SC candidate and getting IAS .
    @Neyawyn or @pizzza can clarify further .

There is no logic of that a person who is doing a job alredy (say of peon ) cant avail reservation when applying for another job , that discrimination ino ? B/w two reserved candidate students

Donot spread misinformation here , You are completely wrong here . The OP can appear as SC candidate no matter if he is employed or not
    LOL!!
    Your comprehension power is too weak , IMO.
    Work on that.
    Zindagi badi Gulzar hai
  • om03 said:

Hi,

I am 26 years old and belong to SC category. I have given three attempts. Recently I have got a government job through SC quota.

Now, can I further attempts under General Category? Or I have to compulsorily use my quota?

Thanks

AFAIK, you have to mention your category in forms and you'll automatically get reservation based on it.
    I have also read in some editorial (Hindu) that a person(if belongs to SC/ST) must mention his/her category correctly in forms or else it'll be a punishable offence (since, reservations of SC/ST are constitutional in nature).
    For further clarification, you must contact UPSC and ask them directly if you can do it or not.
    Zindagi badi Gulzar hai
  • edited January 7

om03 said:

Yes you can apply under general category but why you want to adventure in the first place ?

No bro there is nothing like that , i know IRS people appearing as SC candidate and getting IAS .

There is no logic of that a person who is doing a job alredy (say of peon ) cant avail reservation when applying for another job , that discrimination ino ? B/w two reserved candidate students
    It's purely a personal choice whether to claim the benefits of reservation or not.

If a person belongs to a reserved category he can either apply under general category or reserved category. There is no restriction regarding this. There is no rule that says that if you have applied under reserved category in one attempt, you cannot apply in general in the next attempt. As long as you have the necessary documents, it shouldn't be a problem.

General category is open category. It can contain aspirants from any religion or caste.

In any case, calling up UPSC is the best thing for you.

IASmocks.com - A Game Changer For Prelims 2019.
  • edited January 7
    Vagarant said:

LOL!!
    Your comprehension power is too weak , IMO.
    Work on that.
    My bad .

Op can apply in open merit . Category is mentioned even in the sheet with interview board , one can say he is uncomfortable and assume that bias will be there in giving marks .

Ironically avergae marks for a SC/ST student in interview are quite less thaat of their OM peers with almost same mains marks
  • edited January 7
    pizzza said:

om03 said:

It's purely a personal choice whether to claim the benefits of reservation or not.

If a person belongs to a reserved category he can either apply under general category or reserved category. There is no restriction regarding this. There is no rule that says that if you have applied under reserved category in one attempt, you cannot apply in general in the next attempt. As long as you have the necessary documents, it shouldn't be a problem.

General category is open category. It can contain aspirants from any religion or caste.
    Pizza bhai,
    I am pretty sure the article whihc I read has mentioned that a st/sc candidate cant forgo their reservation claim. So s/he has to appear as a sc candidate. I will post the link of article after my state psc mains.

The article was published in The hindu when the SC was hearing for the matter of reservation in promotion.
    2016 Interview out
    2017 prelims out
    2018 prelims out
    2019 Do or Die
  • om03 said:

Hi,

Thanks

Regardless of whether you can or can't, why do you want to appear as general candidate in the 1st place?

Bhai the op is not asking about reservation claim but he wants to know whether he can appear as general.I hope you understand the confusion here. I am not spreasing any misinformation.
    2016 Interview out
    2017 prelims out
    2018 prelims out
    2019 Do or Die
  • pizzza said:

om03 said:

Pizza bhai,
    I am pretty sure the article whihc I read has mentioned that a st/sc candidate cant forgo their reservation claim. So s/he has to appear as a sc candidate. I will post the link of article after my state psc mains.

The article was published in The hindu when the SC was hearing for the matter of reservation in promotion.
    Sure kindly post it when you are free :) but I'm pretty sure that general category contains all categories including reserved category, at least while applying for govt jobs. :sweat_smile:

• pizzza said:
    please read this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/the-creamy-layer-of-social-justice/article25115370.ece/amp/
    At present, an SC/ST candidate does not have the right to reject reservations. She is merely required to state whether she belongs to the SC or the ST category and a response in affirmation automatically puts her in the queue for reservations. It is also a punishable offence to withhold one’s caste status while seeking government employment. A simple administrative decision to allow SC/ST candidates to compete in the general category would have helped thousands to leave the space for the less privileged among them.
    2016 Interview out
    2017 prelims out
    2018 prelims out
    2019 Do or Die
  • pizzza said:
    pizza bhai ,
    the article whihc you have shared is completelly different from the topic we are discussing.

2016 Interview out
    2017 prelims out
    2018 prelims out
    2019 Do or Die
  • edited January 7
    At present, an SC/ST candidate does not have the right to reject reservations. She is merely required to state whether she belongs to the SC or the ST category and a response in affirmation automatically puts her in the queue for reservations. It is also a punishable offence to withhold one’s caste status while seeking government employment. A simple administrative decision to allow SC/ST candidates to compete in the general category would have helped thousands to leave the space for the less privileged among them.

-------------++-++--+-+--

Not sure on what basis he is telling that it is a punishable offence to withhold caste status. Apart from this article I don't find anything on the internet with this line of thought. :sweat_smile:

Reservation benefit is a choice and not a compulsion. People have the right to not use reservation benefit.

The whole internet is filled with the information that reserved candidates can apply under open category. And it is indeed like that.

But in any case, like people suggested above, calling up UPSC would be the best way out.

• edited January 7

pizzza said:
    please read this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/the-creamy-layer-of-social-justice/article25115370.ece/amp/

At present, an SC/ST candidate does not have the right to reject reservations. She is merely required to state whether she belongs to the SC or the ST category and a response in affirmation automatically puts her in the queue for reservations. It is also a punishable offence to withhold one’s caste status while seeking government employment.

A simple administrative decision to allow SC/ST candidates to compete in the general category would have helped thousands to leave the space for the less privileged among them.

Regarding your last sentence...Nahi yaar. For that the quota percentage would have to be changed again.
    Because if the richer sc st students are allowed to sit in general category, then general seats will go further down for general caste. But poor family general caste people cant avail reservation no? That's why administration never made such a rule :)
    Magical powers...
    In the lush grass...
    In the shade of Mt. Moon....
    Makes the song... Soothe you....
    The power of the melody moves you....
    :trollface:
  • The Hindu article on this matter can't be trusted as it's probably op-ed article and not a government order or circular.. As far as I know SC and ST candidate can apply in general category quota.. Like ST or ST candidate belonging to the different state apply for the job under state government of different state he will be considered as a open category candidate..
  • Off course you can apply in general merit, nobody can stop you if you don't want to take reservation
    | History Optional |
  • 10% for economically weaker upper caste approved by govt , logical conclusion of this would be every community getting reservation as per its population share.

• I dont know about the rules but one of my friend belongs to SC category and he had filled IBPS form with GEN category, he got selected also and working too in a bank. I also know one friend who fill civils every year with GEN category but belongs to SC, his ideology is not to take reservation benefit.
  • _k__k_
    edited January 7
    AutoGlobe said:

I dont know about the rules but one of my friend belongs to SC category and he had filled IBPS form with GEN category, he got selected also and working too in a bank. I also know one friend who fill civils every year with GEN category but belongs to SC, his ideology is not to take reservation benefit.

regardless of whether he takes benefit or not , his coworkers would always assume he's there because of reservation ;unless he personally takes it on himself to individually tell everyone about his peculiar case. I dont see any benefit in this other than personal moral peace

• _k_ said:

AutoGlobe said:

I dont know about the rules but one of my friend belongs to SC category and he had filled IBPS form with GEN category, he got selected also and working too in a bank. I also know one friend who fill civils every year with GEN category but belongs to SC, his ideology is not to take reservation benefit.

regardless of whether he takes benefit or not , his coworkers would always assume he's there because of reservation ;unless he personally takes it on himself to individually tell everyone about his peculiar case. I dont see any benefit in this other than personal moral peace
    Agree
    It happens in offices so better to avail benefit
  • _k_ said:

AutoGlobe said:

Yes it may be the case if person using his title in his name, people are bound to judge and discriminate, society is like that only.

But my banker friend don't use title so no one can guess by his name, in official record also he is GEN, i know this being a friend.

plz let him do this... after few rejection he might go for reservation :joy:
  • AutoGlobe said:

_k_ said:

AutoGlobe said:

Yes it may be the case if person using his title in his name, people are bound to judge and discriminate, society is like that only.

But my banker friend don't use title so no one can guess by his name, in official record also he is GEN, i know this being a friend.
    Hiding one's identity / caste , or keeping it under wraps due to discrimination is so unfortunate , but the sad reality of today

HUSTLE
  • A general is seat is open to all.There is no problem for any category filling the forms in general category.But as you are a government employee and have to have submit documents(NOC and others) check that whether in any documents your caste is mentioned if yes then you have to fill form in SC category.Else you have free to choose.

PS:Once you get registered as general then it is impossible to become SC again.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google