Ranklist & Marks ! Offline Test Takers of ForumIAS Simulator Test 0
Click here to view score and results
We are hiring!
Visit http://go.forumias.com/changetheworld to apply now!

Help needed

I am really struggling in essay with the introduction part as i sse topper copy they just write out of the box which makes me nervous about how i should approach.Please show me some guide

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Hey no need to be nervous abt this.....there can be varieties of introduction, and there is no uniform style....the basic objective of introduction is to kickstart ur essay, give a brief idea about wht u want to convey....but it should also be catchy and raise the interest of examiner......thus there can be various styles of intro:

1. A factual story or an event, which captures the essence of essay.....refer to Anudeep essay on Climate change
    2. A quotation.....for ex..on env essay u can write this famous quo....only when the last tree is being cut...the last fish being eaten, the last stream being poisoned, we will realize that we cant eat money....this gives a very gud starting point to essay
    3. A unique fact about the theme of essay....suppose essay is on poverty...u can start by sayin that...we are the third largest economy, yet home to largest no. of poors...this shows the paradox
    4. Basic understanding of topic...eg..if on women discrimination..u can discuss the concept of poverty....
    Whatever u write, ur intro must nt be flat...it should be catchy, at the same time it must be related to theme of the essay...
  • Hey no need to be nervous abt this.....there can be varieties of introduction, and there is no uniform style....the basic objective of introduction is to kickstart ur essay, give a brief idea about wht u want to convey....but it should also be catchy and raise the interest of examiner......thus there can be various styles of intro:

1. A factual story or an event, which captures the essence of essay.....refer to Anudeep essay on Climate change
    2. A quotation.....for ex..on env essay u can write this famous quo....only when the last tree is being cut...the last fish being eaten, the last stream being poisoned, we will realize that we cant eat money....this gives a very gud starting point to essay
    3. A unique fact about the theme of essay....suppose essay is on poverty...u can start by sayin that...we are the third largest economy, yet home to largest no. of poors...this shows the paradox
    4. Basic understanding of topic...eg..if on women discrimination..u can discuss the concept of poverty....
    Whatever u write, ur intro must nt be flat...it should be catchy, at the same time it must be related to theme of the essay...

I having hard time to find the catchy intro...it seems like a forbidden fruit
  • U can prepare quotes than for all related themes...and after quotes start directly with the main theme of essay...its the easiest way..
  • U can prepare quotes than for all related themes...and after quotes start directly with the main theme of essay...its the easiest way..

I have pm you
  • Dont make in complex, u just need to try and fulfill 2 criteria in intro imo...

1) you need to explain the meaning of the topic..
    2) you tell the examiner, what he can expect in following paras....

U can use stories, judgements, reports, committee statements (verma committee has given many good statements on women issue)..etc

Hope it helps..
    allez...allez...allezzz...allez...!!

• Dont make in complex, u just need to try and fulfill 2 criteria in intro imo...

U can use stories, judgements, reports, committee statements (verma committee has given many good statements on women issue)..etc

Hope it helps..

A bit of simplified suggestion
  • Freakhoto said:

Dont make in complex, u just need to try and fulfill 2 criteria in intro imo...

Hope it helps..

Yes.. but my point is we have to keep it simple , and just try to fulfill above mentioned aim using those tools...

I write simplest of intro..and manage to score avg every time...(144 in 2017)...

I think for essay you can only target avg score..coz you dont really know wat it takes to score above 150 or 160....

• Freakhoto said:

Hope it helps..

Yes.. but my point is we have to keep it simple , and just try to fulfill above mentioned aim using those tools...

I write simplest of intro..and manage to score avg every time...(144 in 2017)...

I think for essay you can only target avg score..coz you dont really know wat it takes to score above 150 or 160....

Yeah so what is a good score?[average]
  • Freakhoto said:

Freakhoto said:

Hope it helps..

Yeah so what is a good score?[average]
    Imo we should aim at 150( 2017 scheme of marking )...by making min errors..

I watched that 178 wali girls video on delhi knowledge track...and i thought my essays flow, dimensions, and even intro was almost on same lines...

Only difference would have been writing style, language..

But again , improving language and writing style is difficult and tasking..

So avg/above avg should be our target

Hope it helps..

About point 2, In Anudeep Sir's essays he spent first page telling what upcoming paras would be covering... Is it the right way to go about essays, was a bit confused if that would be rewarded everytime..
    Coz that doesn't seem like content of the essay, but outside it.
    Law Optional.
    Bhopali.
  • GauriS said:

Hope it helps..

About point 2, In Anudeep Sir's essays he spent first page telling what upcoming paras would be covering... Is it the right way to go about essays, was a bit confused if that would be rewarded everytime..
    Coz that doesn't seem like content of the essay, but outside it.
    I think it should work...
    Coz that makes it easy for the reader to wat to expect before hand...and 2nd most importantly he won't feel your essay is disjointed...( Something you yourself might feel while going through your essay)...

Anudeep got 155...

Sign In or Join to comment.

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google