How can we prepare the best for Prelims 2019? (iasmocks.com)

edited December 2018 in Social, Tips & Support
A very good morning to all my co - aspirants.

Today is one of the most important days in my life. I'll tell you why. I humbly apologize in advance because it's going to be a long post as the issue needs intense deliberation.

I'm going to divide the post in three parts. (You can choose to read directly from the part 2 or part 3 if you feel so).
Part 1 : The background
Part 2 : Addressing the problem
Part 3 : Explaining the solutions ( iasmocks.com )

THE BACKGROUND

We all have a problem in front of us. It's the prelims. Apart from a few people who consistently do well, Prelims has become very difficult for most of us. The recent 2018 prelims surprised some of the best prepared aspirants. We cannot take the upcoming Prelims 2019 lightly at all. We need to be on top of our game in the next battle.

I was seeing this problem at an individual level, until a few of my co - aspirants started to inbox me about the same problem. It was not just one or two messages but a significant number of them. At first, i thought I'll discuss, humbly suggest and probably address a few of the issues with each of them in the inbox itself. But, as i kept getting messages from different aspirants, i thought i should do something about it because here's an opportunity for me to at least try to solve this issue at the best of my capability.

The reason why i took this very seriously is because, i spoke to a few aspirants who gave it all and were trying their best to clear prelims from last 2 to 3 attempts and the result was still unfortunate. They did the static part, they studied the current affairs part, they solved many test papers but they still couldn't see themselves in the pdf.

For a moment, i just imagined myself in their shoes and it sent shivers down the spine. These are the people who have sacrificed most of the things in their last 2 to 3 years to make their dreams come true. They are waiting for just one chance to be on the other side and have a shot at the mains exam. By now, most of you must be visualizing the frustration and sheer amount of desire that all of us are nurturing.

I always had this belief that i will be able to do something for the aspirant community once i exit from this cycle on a positive note. However, I changed my mind when i went through a few personal experiences in the last few months that finally made me realize that every second is perfect to do something good.

We shouldn't wait for the right moment to make things right, we need to make moments right to make things right.


The change starts from me. I made a conscious decision that the time is ripe to solve this issue because i am at the peak of my motivation and i can only expect insane efforts from my side.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi


IASmocks.com - A Game Changer For Prelims 2019.
«134

Comments

  • ADDRESSING THE ISSUE

    So let's come back to the fundamental question of this discussion.

    How do we prepare the best for Prelims 2019?

    From my past experience and in my humble opinion, i would divide the answer into three simple parts.

    1. Ace the basics.
    2. Insane Hardwork.
    3. Development of smart strategies through the journey.

    Ace the basics :

    1. We need to cover the basic and standard books thoroughly. (I've attached the booklist at the end). By thorough i mean that we should be able to understand each and every word in the book properly. Being clear with the concepts is the key to solve questions in economics and polity.

    If you given prelims 2017 and 2018, you can relate the questions i am referring to. The questions that are on top of my mind are law and liberty, cabinet form of government, relation between fundamental rights and duties, human capital, capital-output ratio etc. These questions can only be solved if you are able to apply the fundamentals that you learn in these books. Most of us read the book mechanically, but reading and understanding are two different things, we need to achieve the latter part.

    2. Current Affairs from June 2018 to April 2019 has to be covered throughly.

    The current affairs compilations that all refer can work upto a certain extent and you can do just that, but if you want to get an edge over others, you have to make notes from a newspaper, PIB and a few websites. When your notes is supplemented with current affairs magazines, that's when you can feel that you have done your best.
    These are the two basic things which we do but my point is that we need to do thoroughly to gain an edge over others.

    Insane Hardwork.

    1. Once you understand the basic and standard books, you need to convert them into notes. Your notes should be in such a way that you should be able to revise the entire book within an hour or less. Notes for prelims can be based on two factors. "Facts" and "Concepts". After making notes, revision is the key to retention of memory. You will have revise and revise periodically until you have things at the tip of your tongue.

    2. The same applies for current affairs part, "notes and revision". It's not at all an easy job to make notes from newspaper, PIB and also keep a tab other important websites, every single day. This is where our perseverance will come into test. The one who does this hard work stands out from the rest in the end. If you have to be that person, you have to put in insane amount of hard - work. There's no short - cut to success.

    3. Solving questions every day. Yes, if you want to keep a track of your progress and if you want to overcome the anxiety of taking risks while solving MCQs, solving questions everyday is an indispensable exercise that one has to do. You may have heard this, and if anyone of you have played competitive cricket, you know the fact that players practice just one shot, a few thousand times, just to get it right in the match. We need to do exactly the same, we need to solve thousands of MCQs to make sure we play the perfect strokes in the real exam.

    4. The hard-work just doesn't end here, there's work load of optional and mains syllabus too. One also has to give time to it so that a significant part is covered before the prelims, and we can make good use of the mains opportunity to find an exit from this cycle.

    Development of smart strategies through the journey.

    1. This is a very personal journey and it differs from person to person. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.
    The way to know what works for you is by having constant feedback about your performance while you solve the MCQs. You will have to note down the weak areas, strengths, weaknesses and future course of action, every single day to make yourself better through the journey.

    2. How to guage the difficulty level of the paper? How many questions do you need to attempt for particular level of difficulty? How do you approach the exam? In how many iterations do you solve in the exam? How to maximize benefits and minimize losses in your risks? Can you answer questions through just common sense? What is the thought process of the examiner behind framing such an MCQ? These are the questions to which you'll have find answers through your journey so that your mind is fully prepared to meet all the challenges that you face in the real exam.

    3. Getting used to the kind of questions that are asked in UPSC Prelims. This is of great importance.

    If you are playing cricket in England, then you need to practice for the swinging conditions. You cannot practice on Indian pitches and expect to do well on English pitches.

    One easy way and a must-do exercise for this is practicing UPSC previous year papers from 2011 to 2018 (recent pattern). But that is not going to be enough, a few thousand MCQs are definitely required to be at the peak of our game. Unfortunately, there are not many avenues in the market that offer question papers that closely match the standard of UPSC prelims. That is because the question papers that are set by private entities do not follow the exact process that goes into making an UPSC Paper. They usually just set the paper by pooling questions in a particular ratio from different topics mentioned in the syllabus. This interferes with our thought process in the real exam.

    UPSC prelims paper has a different format, quality, difficulty and trends every year. It's not just about preparing for James anderson (ex: 2018 prelims standard) in English conditions, one also has to prepare for stuart broad (ex: 2017 prelims standard) and also for sam curran (ex: 2016 prelims standard). Once we prepare for different standards and practice solving MCQs that closely match UPSC standards, i personally feel that we will prepared at the best of our capabilities. (See the sample mock test i have attached at the end and compare it with Prelims 2018 paper to get an idea of what kind of questions do we need to answer in mock tests).

    4. Identifying the trends of miscellaneous topics that are repeated from 2011 to 2018.

    Generally, This will help us to gain an edge of 6 to 8 marks and if we are lucky, even more. This is very crucial because this plays an important role in pushing our score safely above the cut-off marks.

    After a careful analysis of the past papers, i can say that there are around 40 topics on which one has to prepare exhaustive notes from different websites and wikipedia, so that we don't miss out on easy questions like these. For example, there was a question in 2014 about arranging the cities of south east asian countries according to their latitude. After seeing that question i had prepared a pdf in which i had arranged all the important cities of the world and india based on their latitudes and longitudes. This helped me score that crucial 2 marks in 2018 when they asked about bangalore and delhi lying on the same longitude.

    There are people who can do this through self-discipline, dedication and diligence.

    But there are people who due to their personal circumstances are not able to give their best or are not at their optimum efficiency to be able to consistently do the things mentioned above. This can be changed, I have thought of something. I'll explain it below.


    IASmocks.com - A Game Changer For Prelims 2019.
  • edited December 2018
    THE SOLUTION

    Before i begin to explain this, I would like to humbly make my thoughts absolutely clear.

    I am not a coaching platform or i don't intend to become one because i am not worth such reputation.

    I just slogged a few sleepless days to make this website, so that there's a proper medium for interaction and information dissemination. I am just another simple and normal aspirant like you and this is my self - initiative through which i want to take people along with me through my journey in this exam.

    I intend to honestly tell people the exact same thing i would be doing for my preparation and I will share the same things which i will do day-in and day-out, so that we all re-inforce each other's strengths and embark on a fruitful voyage.

    After putting in my thoughts and taking suggestions from multiple people who have done consistently well at prelims and have also cleared the exam, I have arrived at two solutions:

    1. Intensive Guidance Programme (IGP) :

    This is for freshers and for people who are struggling with discipline and dedication in their preparation.

    This programme will present an opportunity for them to improve their routine immensely. Refer the schedule attached at the end.

    Aspirants can follow the schedule, self-study the topics and answer 50 MCQs ( 1hour test), every day (6 days a week). Daily targets will push you to the limits of your performance and will help you realize your true potential.

    The features of IGP are,

    1. You can give the tests online. You can be situated in any part of the country and all you need is internet. You will not have to travel anywhere and exhaust yourself during the commute. Get up fresh in the morning, solve the test, note down the feedback and go conquer the rest of your day.

    2. You will have the flexibility of giving the test in the morning (7 am) or in the night (9 pm).

    3.If you have seen the IGP plan, you can see the range of topics that you are going to cover, including the misc topics i was referring above. It has exhaustive coverage. (You'll get a more detailed plan during the course.)

    3. This programme has been carefully designed in such a way that it will consume a minimum of 4 hours to maximum of 6 hours of your day. The rest of the time can be utilized for mains preparation. There will be no pressure of just studying for prelims.

    4. You will be solving questions that closely match the standards of UPSC, refer the sample mock test link at the end.

    5. This will be a one - time investment. The art of discipline and dedication that you will learn here will be with you throughout your journey in UPSC. The process that you learn here can be easily replicated in your successive attempts on your own without having to enroll for this course ever again.

    6.It's super light on your pockets. You will have to pay monthly and not pay the amount at once.

    7. Your money is safe. You will have a 7 day refund option for every month. If you are not satisfied with it in the first seven days, you get your money back. Trust and Ethics is what i want to foster in our interaction.

    8. The course duration is for 4 months, has 106 tests which includes 96 daily tests and performance tests, they will have a total of 5800 MCQs. (Yes, you will get a pdf containing explanation after every test).

    9. Now the course fee part. This was tricky. I am an aspirant just like you, i know and totally understand the difficulty we face when things are costly. I have always believed in pricing things at a nominal cost.

    If things are free or price below a certain level, people dont put an effort to complete the course because they got it too easy. If things are priced costly, then most of us cannot afford it. I had to find a price point where it is highly affordable and still brings a sense of responsibility of investing in something.

    After taking suggestions from a lot people around me, the price point i arrived at was Rs. 1250 per month. That will be Rs. 5000 in total for four months when one completes the full course.

    But, wait. Forum is my second home, this is the place where people have motivated me when i was going through a low phase. People from forum get an exclusive discount of Rs. 250 / month if they register before the 1st of Jan 2019. That brings down the course fee to Rs. 1000 per month or Rs. 4000 for the complete course. The discount code is "pizzza"

    I want to close down the registrations as early as possible so that you get time to start studying in advance and ace the 1st test on Jan 14th 2019.

    Link for IGP 2019 : (Go through FAQs)
    http://iasmocks.com/igp.html

    Link to the IGP 2019 plan :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cuUxbn_fzFocDrOBytVoG88iu7Je3G0P/view
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Second solution,

    2. The standard Online CS Prelims Test Series

    They are weekly tests, they cover the same exhaustive set of topics but can be given any time, once the test is live as per the schedule.

    30 tests at Rs. 1499. I am not sure but i think this may perhaps be the lowest price in the market. I personally feel that test series should be highly affordable and should be highest quality standards. You get both in this, And you also get a special offer because you are from forum. Use the discount code "pizzza" to get Rs. 499 off if you register it before Jan 1st 2019.

    My primary responsibility in this is to provide quality questions and i'll give it all to fulfill this. However, there's another perspective to this. The perspective of a customer / aspirant. The price point of this test series can be a game changer in the long term if is supported by all of you. It can bring in the "Jio" effect. Prices of online test series will come down and quality of questions will be improved. The power to change the situation is in your hands.

    Link for csp test series : (Go through FAQs)
    http://iasmocks.com/csptestseries.html

    Link of the plan for csp test series :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_qeFa4K8SFyFrRq26wDMttfJAuHF-H4X/view
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Link for booklist for prelims :
    http://iasmocks.com/booklist.html
    Link for sample mock test : (compare it with prelims 2018 paper)
    http://iasmocks.com/sample.html
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Thank you. :relaxed:


    IASmocks.com - A Game Changer For Prelims 2019.
  • A very good initiative @pizzza sir especially coming from you . I managed to clear one pre in the past but this year result was a tight slap on the face. I have inboxed you my queries. I am looking forward to join your wonderful initiative
    p-2,m-1
    p3-2019
  • edited December 2018
    Way to go pizzza bhai..helping new entrants is most pious thing in this process..I and many like me have suffered mostly on this stage,wish we could have got or trusted such initiatives.
    Ps. We are open to help you in this endeavor.. B)
    P - 3 | M - 3 | I-Never
  • Great work pizza bhai.
    I am sure your site will provide exactly what we, all aspirants, need. Because only fellow aspirants can understand other aspirants and need to work on those.
    Daily tests, foundational work and current affairs which you will cover, I hope and am sure that would be enough to comprehend any question in cse prelims 2019. Best of luck in your endeavour and we will do what we can.
    :smile:
  • This is good initiative specially for those who are preparing in far areas like small cities, towns, villages and have limited access to the financial and other resources.
    keep it up @pizzza
    I support this initiative and urge other fellow mates to share this as much as possible so that this reaches to the aspirants who need this.

    sharing is caring!

  • Way to go @pizzza tau....Very very good initiative...Much needed
    Sare balak/balika mere YouTube Channel "IAS-THE ULTIMATE DREAM!!!" ko subscribe kren....Dil ko badi tasalli milegi....
  • edited December 2018
    Hmm.. good to see your efforts pizza tau.. wish you all the best in your endeavors..

    Hopefully you don't get submerged in the bog of commercialism. Hopefully trust of aspirants remains preserved !

    Any help from my side which can reduce the cost of initiative further in future, I am always ready to contribute FREELY.

    (I will see quality of few initial tests and if I found it satisfactory then I will recommend it to my close friends atleast. So hopefully you don't disappoint seniors like me. ATB)

    PS- Website design is really good. If you made it yourself then definitely kudos. I can imagine the amount of hard work you had put in this initiative. ;)


    #HumHongeKamyabEkDin :)
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)


    " Woods are lovely dark and deep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    And miles to go before I sleep.. before I sleep. " :)

    #HumHongeKamyaabEkDin :)
  • This is gold pizza bhai
    I would love to be part of this..
    Far far better than the institutions charging 10k-12k for prelims test series.
    God bless
  • Pizza aka Abhishek..is one of the most genuine people on forum..

    He has tirelessly worked to make efforts of aspirants easier towards realising their dreams..


    The best thing he told about the test series is his coverage of 40-50 very niche topics which are repeated every year..

    and price is also good for what he's offering..

    I believe he will be consistent in this endeavour

    Prelims -Bohot baar Mains- bohot baar Interview - Kabhi nahi
  • All the best pizza.
    | History Optional |
  • This is great brother , it seems a lot of effort has been put in making this (, the cost factor is quite impressive , if you need any help we will be happy to help.

    sample mock is impressive and daily test schedule is a good thing to cover all aspects of the exam. hope you keep it non commercial as @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh mentioned above .
    HUSTLE
  • edited December 2018
    Superb Pizza :blush:
    I am very happy to see you come up with something like this. I have known you for long on forum and can totally vouch for you.
    Just a month ago you were in need of a job, just like many of us and here you come up with your own website!

    Every year you post so many of your notes and important topics during prelims especially in the last months, guess we can use some of your own expertise in a better manner now.

    Looking forward to writing tests on your platform. Someone we know, will put in extra effort so that quality is not compromised.

    A word of caution too- be a limited edition, use your time for the attempt. I hope you Don't let it over burden you.
  • Hmm.. good to see your efforts pizza tau.. wish you all the best in your endeavors..

    Hopefully you don't get submerged in the bog of commercialism. Hopefully trust of aspirants remains preserved !

    Any help from my side which can reduce the cost of initiative further in future, I am always ready to contribute FREELY.

    (I will see quality of few initial tests and if I found it satisfactory then I will recommend it to my close friends atleast. So hopefully you don't disappoint seniors like me. ATB)

    PS- Website design is really good. If you made it yourself then definitely kudos. I can imagine the amount of hard work you had put in this initiative. ;)


    #HumHongeKamyabEkDin :)

    Thank you so much tau. Your words mean a lot. I'll will always be committed towards quality, affordability and ethics. These are the foundational values which drove me to build the website in the last 12 days. Have a great day ahead. :)


    IASmocks.com - A Game Changer For Prelims 2019.
  • edited December 2018
    .
    P - 3 | M - 3 | I-Never
  • Thank you so much everyone. No words can express the amount of gratitude towards your gesture. God has been kind. I'm indebted forever.


    IASmocks.com - A Game Changer For Prelims 2019.
  • Alright said:

    This is great brother , it seems a lot of effort has been put in making this (, the cost factor is quite impressive , if you need any help we will be happy to help.

    sample mock is impressive and daily test schedule is a good thing to cover all aspects of the exam. hope you keep it non commercial as @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh mentioned above .

    Nothing to impress anyone..why not keep it as commercial? I mean people start from here and end u there..commercial is no harm unless we do anything which is unethical
    Nope. Zohan is right, commercialization is bad for this. Things get commercialized when there are many entities involved. The costs increase as the scale of growth increases.

    The reason why other things in the market are costly is because they have to pay the employees and for the infrastructure. This cost ultimately passes down to the aspirant.

    This is exactly what I want to avoid. The costs in this platform will always be nominal. Let this be a place for aspirants who cannot afford the costlier ones.


    IASmocks.com - A Game Changer For Prelims 2019.
  • pizzza said:

    THE SOLUTION

    Before i begin to explain this, I would like to humbly make my thoughts absolutely clear.

    I am not a coaching platform or i don't intend to become one because i am not worth such reputation.

    I just slogged a few sleepless days to make this website, so that there's a proper medium for interaction and information dissemination. I am just another simple and normal aspirant like you and this is my self - initiative through which i want to take people along with me through my journey in this exam.

    I intend to honestly tell people the exact same thing i would be doing for my preparation and I will share the same things which i will do day-in and day-out, so that we all re-inforce each other's strengths and embark on a fruitful voyage.

    After putting in my thoughts and taking suggestions from multiple people who have done consistently well at prelims and have also cleared the exam, I have arrived at two solutions:

    1. Intensive Guidance Programme (IGP) :

    This is for freshers and for people who are struggling with discipline and dedication in their preparation.

    This programme will present an opportunity for them to improve their routine immensely. Refer the schedule attached at the end.

    Aspirants can follow the schedule, self-study the topics and answer 50 MCQs ( 1hour test), every day (6 days a week). Daily targets will push you to the limits of your performance and will help you realize your true potential.

    The features of IGP are,

    1. You can give the tests online. You can be situated in any part of the country and all you need is internet. You will not have to travel anywhere and exhaust yourself during the commute. Get up fresh in the morning, solve the test, note down the feedback and go conquer the rest of your day.

    2. You will have the flexibility of giving the test in the morning (7 am) or in the night (9 pm).

    3.If you have seen the IGP plan, you can see the range of topics that you are going to cover, including the misc topics i was referring above. It has exhaustive coverage. (You'll get a more detailed plan during the course.)

    3. This programme has been carefully designed in such a way that it will consume a minimum of 4 hours to maximum of 6 hours of your day. The rest of the time can be utilized for mains preparation. There will be no pressure of just studying for prelims.

    4. You will be solving questions that closely match the standards of UPSC, refer the sample mock test link at the end.

    5. This will be a one - time investment. The art of discipline and dedication that you will learn here will be with you throughout your journey in UPSC. The process that you learn here can be easily replicated in your successive attempts on your own without having to enroll for this course ever again.

    6.It's super light on your pockets. You will have to pay monthly and not pay the amount at once.

    7. Your money is safe. You will have a 7 day refund option for every month. If you are not satisfied with it in the first seven days, you get your money back. Trust and Ethics is what i want to foster in our interaction.

    8. The course duration is for 4 months, has 106 tests which includes 96 daily tests and performance tests, they will have a total of 5800 MCQs. (Yes, you will get a pdf containing explanation after every test).

    9. Now the course fee part. This was tricky. I am an aspirant just like you, i know and totally understand the difficulty we face when things are costly. I have always believed in pricing things at a nominal cost.

    If things are free or price below a certain level, people dont put an effort to complete the course because they got it too easy. If things are priced costly, then most of us cannot afford it. I had to find a price point where it is highly affordable and still brings a sense of responsibility of investing in something.

    After taking suggestions from a lot people around me, the price point i arrived at was Rs. 1250 per month. That will be Rs. 5000 in total for four months when one completes the full course.

    But, wait. Forum is my second home, this is the place where people have motivated me when i was going through a low phase. People from forum get an exclusive discount of Rs. 250 / month if they register before the 1st of Jan 2019. That brings down the course fee to Rs. 1000 per month or Rs. 4000 for the complete course. The discount code is "pizzza"

    I want to close down the registrations as early as possible so that you get time to start studying in advance and ace the 1st test on Jan 14th 2019.

    Link for IGP 2019 : (Go through FAQs)
    http://iasmocks.com/igp.html

    Link to the IGP 2019 plan :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cuUxbn_fzFocDrOBytVoG88iu7Je3G0P/view
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Second solution,

    2. The standard Online CS Prelims Test Series

    They are weekly tests, they cover the same exhaustive set of topics but can be given any time, once the test is live as per the schedule.

    30 tests at Rs. 1499. I am not sure but i think this may perhaps be the lowest price in the market. I personally feel that test series should be highly affordable and should be highest quality standards. You get both in this, And you also get a special offer because you are from forum. Use the discount code "pizzza" to get Rs. 499 off if you register it before Jan 1st 2019.

    My primary responsibility in this is to provide quality questions and i'll give it all to fulfill this. However, there's another perspective to this. The perspective of a customer / aspirant. The price point of this test series can be a game changer in the long term if is supported by all of you. It can bring in the "Jio" effect. Prices of online test series will come down and quality of questions will be improved. The power to change the situation is in your hands.

    Link for csp test series : (Go through FAQs)
    http://iasmocks.com/csptestseries.html

    Link of the plan for csp test series :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_qeFa4K8SFyFrRq26wDMttfJAuHF-H4X/view
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Link for booklist for prelims :
    http://iasmocks.com/booklist.html
    Link for sample mock test : (compare it with prelims 2018 paper)
    http://iasmocks.com/sample.html
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Thank you. :relaxed:

    Thanks for this , aapne last year prelims b bhi bhut madad ki this , i hope solutions provided have that essense , too
    Looking forward to join
  • @pizzza You have such a wonderful articulation skill. Don't know who checked your copy or what happened during the mains paper evaluation, you are one such candidate who should have been through mains.You are one of the most deserving candidate.

    Your efforts are really commendable and I wish you help others through this process. I am sure it will be worth the effort.

    The strategy you have charted out is the best. It is the basics knowledge coupled with hard work that is needed to have an adequate level of confidence to clear prelims.

    The micro details you have charted are truly gem.

    This particular section:

    2. The same applies for current affairs part, "notes and revision". It's not at all an easy job to make notes from newspaper, PIB and also keep a tab other important websites, every single day. This is where our perseverance will come into test. The one who does this hard work stands out from the rest in the end. If you have to be that person, you have to put in insane amount of hard - work. There's no short - cut to success.

    Very few will do it, but it is something which will definitely bring an edge plus confidence in our preparation. What it needs is brutal discipline and smart surfing.

    3. Solving questions every day.

    I can share some experience on this part. Back in the days (2016 prelims) we created a daily MCQ thread at forum. Some of the gems of this platform ( @DrKingSchuItz , @Ras_al_Ghul @andy133 and others) were the frequent participants there. We used to share quality questions ( the one you have highlighted in the second post and the one which seems to be the new interest of UPSC). We used to come back and provide detail answer ( with all necessary background information) of that particular question. This is one way to bring quality in preparation.

    This needs to be given a consideration. Consider it as a moral duty to clarify every question you put on such a thread. And consider it as a common sense to not put puerile questions so as to not waste precious time and space of the thread. This type of culture can be cultivated to tame the beast that prelims is becoming.

    All the best for your endeavor.

    The angels are lost in perpetual contemplation of an infinite glory.
  • .
    Nature & Solitude lover.
    An ardent student of Life..
  • KekKek
    edited December 2018
    Great Initiative pizza bhai. Intuition, curiosity and a hard working mindset are necessary to crack Prelims. I hope you have made the right platform for cultivating and harnessing such qualities. My heartily wishes.
    “Sometimes, it’s wise to be foolish”

    2015: Cleared Prelims.
    2016: Cleared Prelims.
    2017: Cleared Mains.
    2018: Cleared Mains.
  • IWRA said:

    @pizzza You have such a wonderful articulation skill. Don't know who checked your copy or what happened during the mains paper evaluation, you are one such candidate who should have been through mains.You are one of the most deserving candidate.

    Your efforts are really commendable and I wish you help others through this process. I am sure it will be worth the effort.

    The strategy you have charted out is the best. It is the basics knowledge coupled with hard work that is needed to have an adequate level of confidence to clear prelims.

    The micro details you have charted are truly gem.

    This particular section:

    2. The same applies for current affairs part, "notes and revision". It's not at all an easy job to make notes from newspaper, PIB and also keep a tab other important websites, every single day. This is where our perseverance will come into test. The one who does this hard work stands out from the rest in the end. If you have to be that person, you have to put in insane amount of hard - work. There's no short - cut to success.

    Very few will do it, but it is something which will definitely bring an edge plus confidence in our preparation. What it needs is brutal discipline and smart surfing.

    3. Solving questions every day.

    I can share some experience on this part. Back in the days (2016 prelims) we created a daily MCQ thread at forum. Some of the gems of this platform ( @DrKingSchuItz , @Ras_al_Ghul @andy133 and others) were the frequent participants there. We used to share quality questions ( the one you have highlighted in the second post and the one which seems to be the new interest of UPSC). We used to come back and provide detail answer ( with all necessary background information) of that particular question. This is one way to bring quality in preparation.

    This needs to be given a consideration. Consider it as a moral duty to clarify every question you put on such a thread. And consider it as a common sense to not put puerile questions so as to not waste precious time and space of the thread. This type of culture can be cultivated to tame the beast that prelims is becoming.

    All the best for your endeavor.

    I was there. Good old days.
    “Sometimes, it’s wise to be foolish”

    2015: Cleared Prelims.
    2016: Cleared Prelims.
    2017: Cleared Mains.
    2018: Cleared Mains.
  • It's an exhilarating feeling to see such a wonderful initiative coming from a close friend. :)

    As someone who flunked in the last prelims itself, I can totally understand how commercialization has made the prelims test series irrelevant and expensive at the same time for the aspirants.

    Both the IGP and the test series are conceptually sound, and the mock test reminded me of the blunders I made in the last prelims, both in the preparation as well as the exam.

    Entire forum is aware of your genuine helping nature. I'll do my part for sure.

    ATB. :smile:
    Previous id: @Detective_Conan
  • Pizzzu, :o , I am so proud of you. Great initiative , keep up the good work :)
  • pizzza said:

    THE SOLUTION

    Before i begin to explain this, I would like to humbly make my thoughts absolutely clear.

    I am not a coaching platform or i don't intend to become one because i am not worth such reputation.

    I just slogged a few sleepless days to make this website, so that there's a proper medium for interaction and information dissemination. I am just another simple and normal aspirant like you and this is my self - initiative through which i want to take people along with me through my journey in this exam.

    I intend to honestly tell people the exact same thing i would be doing for my preparation and I will share the same things which i will do day-in and day-out, so that we all re-inforce each other's strengths and embark on a fruitful voyage.

    After putting in my thoughts and taking suggestions from multiple people who have done consistently well at prelims and have also cleared the exam, I have arrived at two solutions:

    1. Intensive Guidance Programme (IGP) :

    This is for freshers and for people who are struggling with discipline and dedication in their preparation.

    This programme will present an opportunity for them to improve their routine immensely. Refer the schedule attached at the end.

    Aspirants can follow the schedule, self-study the topics and answer 50 MCQs ( 1hour test), every day (6 days a week). Daily targets will push you to the limits of your performance and will help you realize your true potential.

    The features of IGP are,

    1. You can give the tests online. You can be situated in any part of the country and all you need is internet. You will not have to travel anywhere and exhaust yourself during the commute. Get up fresh in the morning, solve the test, note down the feedback and go conquer the rest of your day.

    2. You will have the flexibility of giving the test in the morning (7 am) or in the night (9 pm).

    3.If you have seen the IGP plan, you can see the range of topics that you are going to cover, including the misc topics i was referring above. It has exhaustive coverage. (You'll get a more detailed plan during the course.)

    3. This programme has been carefully designed in such a way that it will consume a minimum of 4 hours to maximum of 6 hours of your day. The rest of the time can be utilized for mains preparation. There will be no pressure of just studying for prelims.

    4. You will be solving questions that closely match the standards of UPSC, refer the sample mock test link at the end.

    5. This will be a one - time investment. The art of discipline and dedication that you will learn here will be with you throughout your journey in UPSC. The process that you learn here can be easily replicated in your successive attempts on your own without having to enroll for this course ever again.

    6.It's super light on your pockets. You will have to pay monthly and not pay the amount at once.

    7. Your money is safe. You will have a 7 day refund option for every month. If you are not satisfied with it in the first seven days, you get your money back. Trust and Ethics is what i want to foster in our interaction.

    8. The course duration is for 4 months, has 106 tests which includes 96 daily tests and performance tests, they will have a total of 5800 MCQs. (Yes, you will get a pdf containing explanation after every test).

    9. Now the course fee part. This was tricky. I am an aspirant just like you, i know and totally understand the difficulty we face when things are costly. I have always believed in pricing things at a nominal cost.

    If things are free or price below a certain level, people dont put an effort to complete the course because they got it too easy. If things are priced costly, then most of us cannot afford it. I had to find a price point where it is highly affordable and still brings a sense of responsibility of investing in something.

    After taking suggestions from a lot people around me, the price point i arrived at was Rs. 1250 per month. That will be Rs. 5000 in total for four months when one completes the full course.

    But, wait. Forum is my second home, this is the place where people have motivated me when i was going through a low phase. People from forum get an exclusive discount of Rs. 250 / month if they register before the 1st of Jan 2019. That brings down the course fee to Rs. 1000 per month or Rs. 4000 for the complete course. The discount code is "pizzza"

    I want to close down the registrations as early as possible so that you get time to start studying in advance and ace the 1st test on Jan 14th 2019.

    Link for IGP 2019 : (Go through FAQs)
    http://iasmocks.com/igp.html

    Link to the IGP 2019 plan :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cuUxbn_fzFocDrOBytVoG88iu7Je3G0P/view
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Second solution,

    2. The standard Online CS Prelims Test Series

    They are weekly tests, they cover the same exhaustive set of topics but can be given any time, once the test is live as per the schedule.

    30 tests at Rs. 1499. I am not sure but i think this may perhaps be the lowest price in the market. I personally feel that test series should be highly affordable and should be highest quality standards. You get both in this, And you also get a special offer because you are from forum. Use the discount code "pizzza" to get Rs. 499 off if you register it before Jan 1st 2019.

    My primary responsibility in this is to provide quality questions and i'll give it all to fulfill this. However, there's another perspective to this. The perspective of a customer / aspirant. The price point of this test series can be a game changer in the long term if is supported by all of you. It can bring in the "Jio" effect. Prices of online test series will come down and quality of questions will be improved. The power to change the situation is in your hands.

    Link for csp test series : (Go through FAQs)
    http://iasmocks.com/csptestseries.html

    Link of the plan for csp test series :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_qeFa4K8SFyFrRq26wDMttfJAuHF-H4X/view
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Link for booklist for prelims :
    http://iasmocks.com/booklist.html
    Link for sample mock test : (compare it with prelims 2018 paper)
    http://iasmocks.com/sample.html
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Thank you. :relaxed:

    nice work pizza :+1:
  • pizzza said:

    Alright said:

    This is great brother , it seems a lot of effort has been put in making this (, the cost factor is quite impressive , if you need any help we will be happy to help.

    sample mock is impressive and daily test schedule is a good thing to cover all aspects of the exam. hope you keep it non commercial as @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh mentioned above .

    Nothing to impress anyone..why not keep it as commercial? I mean people start from here and end u there..commercial is no harm unless we do anything which is unethical
    Nope. Zohan is right, commercialization is bad for this. Things get commercialized when there are many entities involved. The costs increase as the scale of growth increases.

    The reason why other things in the market are costly is because they have to pay the employees and for the infrastructure. This cost ultimately passes down to the aspirant.

    This is exactly what I want to avoid. The costs in this platform will always be nominal. Let this be a place for aspirants who cannot afford the costlier ones.
    yes commercialisation ne hi kaam khrab kia hai , and forum is doing SFG to tackle that .
    HUSTLE
  • All the best.
  • edited December 2018
    I wish we had such test series when we began preparations. But I’m sure freshers as well as those who have written few attempts without clearing prelims would benefit from your initiative. Happy to see this coming from you. A true leader you are, in every way. Strengthens my belief that we do not need a high position in order to make a difference. So many dreams remain unfulfilled because they did not get the right mentorship at the right time. Hope your website is going to light the lamp of hope in the hearts of all those residing in various corners of our nation. May you touch the lives of everyone you come across.. Best wishes
  • Great o:)
    all i need is You Lord
  • Impressive idea.
    Wish you success..
Sign In or Join to comment.

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google