Need your guidance on way forward. Failed UPSC 4 times. 1 time interview out, this time mains out

Also came across this answer by Abdul Ghani on Quora. Does it make any sense to look for jobs now? And is this the right approach?

https://www.quora.com/What-should-someone-do-after-3-failed-attempts-in-the-UPSC-What-are-the-options-ahead/answer/Abdul-Ghani-19?ch=3&share=023f7075&srid=i9qk

Comments

• Been out of work for 1.5 year now
  • Dont be upset. UPSC teaches what a life is??IAS is not a job of kids and one has to continually self determined and tough during the preparation phase as well as in service. I think you are tired and need break.Since 5 years you are not socially active while your peers grow,living a lavish life and some get married.It hurts.When one trying hard and is more knowledgeable but living a life miserable both socially and economically. Suggest you to take a job as early as possible.If you are from technical background try gate and stream related job,they would be easy to grab.
  • Been out of work for 1.5 year now

Bro, if possible do some masters course from abroad..new beginning with new experience and you ll outstrips your peers very soon.
  • Thanks @Dorjay123 and @ias007 - I was thinking of registering for ISB Policy Masterclass in New Delhi

I think it sounds like a good opportunity to take a break from the UPSC cycle. Should meet new people, make new connections
  • Thanks @Dorjay123 and @ias007 - I was thinking of registering for ISB Policy Masterclass in New Delhi

I think it sounds like a good opportunity to take a break from the UPSC cycle. Should meet new people, make new connections

I think you should Wait for 10 days .. let the emotions get drained out.

Once emotions are over. Make a list of things u r missing.. constrain and other factors. Like job family lifestyle or whatever.

Many people take a break after 4th.. Natural fatigueness could be 1 reason.. and ab most of our friends are in similar situation. To cheezein aur complex lagti hein coz we cant expect a solution from people who themselves are in similar situation..

Best wishes.
  • Thanks @Yuiojh for kind wishes. Finally registered for the policy masterclass. Would be fun to meet interesting and likeminded people in Delhi

I have realised UPSC is about differentiating yourself from the rest. Need to focus on the differentiation strategy

Will probably plan a trip to a cheap location in sometime - Goa perhaps after the holiday season ends
  • Thanks @Yuiojh for kind wishes. Finally registered for the policy masterclass. Would be fun to meet interesting and likeminded people in Delhi

I have realised UPSC is about differentiating yourself from the rest. Need to focus on the differentiation strategy

Will probably plan a trip to a cheap location in sometime - Goa perhaps after the holiday season ends

Trip with friends for some good time. Trip with family sepately to preferably a religious site is something which will rejuvenate your energy level.. avoid solo. I did solo for 19 days after last yrs interview. I was seeking something else.

When we go to diverse places 1st thing that we are able to do is finding ourselves.

I went to puri with my family.. during our visit's end , i told aap sab log ghar me alag lagte ho aur trip pe ekdum alag the.. mujhe aap logo ko samajhne ki opportunity mili yaha. But Mere bhaiya ne kaha ki mai tujhe zara sa bi nahi samajh paya because all through out the trip i was nearly dead silent. This made me highly conscious of my silence.

Its only recently that i am able to express myself in public. :)

All that phase of 4 years of isolated prep.. It puzzled me about my own self.. we have opinion about almost everything but i am unaware as to how do i actually react in situations where i might arguably have a highly balanced and logical opinion .. I too was seeking to differentiate myself..to know my preferences and likings.

Best wishes again for policy masterclass. :smiley:
Sign In or Join to comment.

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google