Current Affairs for Prelims 2019 | Online | Offline | 25th March@5PM
Course is available in both Online & Offline Mode.
Join Online Classes | Join Offline Classes | Click here to know more
We are hiring!

To all those lovely souls who couldn't make it [Motivation and Way Forward]

edited December 2018 in Social, Tips & Support
It's been over 8 hours since the results were published. The feeling has sunk deep within us and we're all going through a tough time. I couldn't make it this time, I was disappointed. As i sat thinking over it, I realized that there are many wonderful people out there who are in a similar situation like me. Many of them would still be in deep agony and in isolation. This is the time we need to support each other and make efforts to bring a smile on each other's faces. Isiliye, thought of writing something for all my co-aspirants out there who thoroughly deserve a pep talk.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm - Winston Churchill
When we tackle obstacles, we find hidden reserves of courage and resilience we did not know we had. And it is only when we are faced with failure do we realise that these resources were always there within us. We only need to find them and move on with our lives. - A.P.J. Abdul Kalam

To those super-heroes who are moving to better avenues in life,

End of a dream is one of the most painful moments in life.
There are two realities in life, Every end has a beautiful new beginning and all good things do come an end.
You guys have endured it all, in-spite of all the hurdles and despite of all the struggles. You guys made it to the finish line, it doesn't matter where you stand. What matters is the process you went through to reach the finish line. That itself makes you a champion of champions. The experience and learning that you've gained through this will help you face toughest of situations in life with ease. Most of us don't realize this now, but one fine day we'll all be thanking our stars for all the failures we came across.

Success may define our character but failure defines what we are made of.

This must be unknown to most of you, but do not consider yourself any less because you guys have displayed nerves of steel and perseverance of a soldier. You guys are ready to meet new challenges and decimate them to conquer new set of dreams. There are in-numerous examples of those who failed in this exam but went on to do really really big in their lives. The same destiny lies awaiting for you all, It's all there just standing to be yours.

Take a break, This time is emotional. Make no decisions right now and just go through the feelings. Cry, Scream, talk with your loved ones, Just do everything you want to until your heart is content with it. Once your emotions subside, slowly begin to introspect and think what's next? I'm sure there are magnificent opportunities waiting for you.

Talk to everyone, make a list of all the learnings you gained through this and paste it on our wall. Let there be bright confidence in your faces when you talk to anyone, you're not a failure, you're a champion! Tell that with immense pride. I mean it because it's not in everyone to go through the grind. You are special and You took all the bullets with great passion. The world will one day appreciate and applaud your battle scars. Believe in yourself, You are amazing!!!

Mistakes are the portals of discovery - James Joyce.

The path you've led is a path of re-discovering yourself. I just wish you all of you the very very very bestest from the bottom of my heart. Pick up another dream and start chasing it like a mad guy once again. After all, it's the madness and the thrill that we live for. After all, it's the craziness that gives us the best moments in life. :)

To those workaholics who are still in the game,

I have always believed that everything happens for a good reason. We fail to get better and get better.

Failure means a stripping away of the inessential - JK Rowling.

This exam is super cruel. It demands maniac like perseverance and consistency. Of course there are exceptions to this who must have learnt this art of perseverance and consistency at some other point of life, but for us mere mortals it's something still far away from our reach. This is where we need to conquer.

Nothing big comes our way unless and until we start making every moment count. "Winning is a habit". Somebody said it so right.

We need to plan and execute every second of our journey so that we start winning our moments and our every-days. Once we start winning everyday, the habit will manifest great possibilities and brings in great success.

Back to the basics, they say.
Failure comes only when we forget our ideals and objectives and principles. - Jawaharlal Nehru.

We need to be humble to accept the fact there is mindblowingly insane competition. The only way we can improve is to accept our mistakes and that there is something lacking in us. Of course there are factors that ain't in our control but there's point in discussing them because they will never be in our control. We need to take full charge of what we can control.

In my UPSC journey, I haven't come across any guy saying that he studied for 14 hrs* 365 days and still couldn't make it. I'm not saying we need to do exactly that, but i'm trying to convey that there's lot we can do to improve our efforts.

Let's be absolutely ruthless and give it all in a beast mode for the next attempt. Let's not put our swords down until and unless the last drop of sweat flows down from our skin. Let's fight and fight and fight till we have it in our sight!

Let the emotions subside, take a break and then start to introspect. Make a list of all the things that went wrong and decimate it one by one like a man on a mission. You can do it, You can definitely do it because we often don't realize how strong we are until we are pushed to the limit.

Promise yourself discipline, dedication and determination. The universe will promise you victory.

As the horizon basks in the glory of dawn tomorrow morning, Your journey towards magnificence will begin. Hold your nerves, it's going to be super exciting and an experience of life-time. Wish you all the brightest of days ahead and I hope to join you all in the pursuit of diligence. :relaxed:

IASmocks.com - A Game Changer For Prelims 2019.

Comments

• Thanks @pizzza Bhai....
  • Do we have to do everything perfect best down to every last question to pass Mains? I just left 40 marks in all papers included and rest went above average still didnt pass. Cant find any rational ground. To start again I need to know where I went wrong...i dont even have an answer why I failed.
  • Do we have to do everything perfect best down to every last question to pass Mains? I just left 40 marks in all papers included and rest went above average still didnt pass. Cant find any rational ground. To start again I need to know where I went wrong...i dont even have an answer why I failed.

Sometimes there are no answers to some questions. The only way out is persistence and the hunger to be the best we can be. :)

Exactly brother i have maths optional and I think I did pretty well in it plus attempted 19-20 in all gs but don't know what happen and how to proceed next.This is insane.
    "Life expands or shrink in proportion to one's courage".
  • average_ said:

Do we have to do everything perfect best down to every last question to pass Mains? I just left 40 marks in all papers included and rest went above average still didnt pass. Cant find any rational ground. To start again I need to know where I went wrong...i dont even have an answer why I failed.

Exactly brother i have maths optional and I think I did pretty well in it plus attempted 19-20 in all gs but don't know what happen and how to proceed next.This is insane.
    What was your maths correct attempt? Science optional Mein pata chal jata hai problem optional hai ya gs.
  • Catman said:

average_ said:

Do we have to do everything perfect best down to every last question to pass Mains? I just left 40 marks in all papers included and rest went above average still didnt pass. Cant find any rational ground. To start again I need to know where I went wrong...i dont even have an answer why I failed.

What was your maths correct attempt? Science optional Mein pata chal jata hai problem optional hai ya gs.
    410-415 was correct and was hoping some partial marking in other 20

not at all. if you are above average in all papers, you will get under rank 50. do you think people topping this exam are doing perfect things? if yes then you are highly mistaken and your elusive search for perfection will only lead to more disasters. there can be many reasons for failure and try to find out those reasons honestly. completing the syllabus, sticking to one or two sources, revision, regular answer writing , average expression skills, above average intelligence so that one understands the question and can link things quickly, above average memorising skills, are the things that constitute the recipe for success in the exam imho. people qualifying this exam are very average people but the point is they are average in many things
  • average_ said:

Catman said:

average_ said:

Bhai p1+p2?
  • krr said:

not at all. if you are above average in all papers, you will get under rank 50. do you think people topping this exam are doing perfect things? if yes then you are highly mistaken and your elusive search for perfection will only lead to more disasters. there can be many reasons for failure and try to find out those reasons honestly. completing the syllabus, sticking to one or two sources, revision, regular answer writing , average expression skills, above average intelligence so that one understands the question and can link things quickly, above average memorising skills, are the things that constitute the recipe for success in the exam imho. people qualifying this exam are very average people but the point is they are average in many things
    I admit my psir prep wasnt top notch, but i got above average in SR tests and as Rank 1s have passed under her i put full faith in her words that I'll get average marks. But I think I got horrible ones..cant see any other reason why I wouldnt pass.
  • Catman said:

average_ said:

Catman said:

average_ said:

Bhai p1+p2?
    Catman said:

average_ said:

Catman said:

average_ said:

Bhai p1+p2?
    bhai i was hoping for 215 in p1 + 200 in p2
  • average_ said:

Catman said:

average_ said:

Catman said:

average_ said:

Bhai p1+p2?
    Catman said:

average_ said:

Catman said:

average_ said:

Bhai p1+p2?
    Is number pe toh 300+ aane chahiye maths mein. Kai log same number pe qualify bhi hue hain. You did a blunder in gs it seems.
  • Catman said:

average_ said:

Catman said:

average_ said:

Catman said:

average_ said:

Bhai p1+p2?
    Catman said:

average_ said:

Catman said:

average_ said:

Bhai p1+p2?
    Is number pe toh 300+ aane chahiye maths mein. Kai log same number pe qualify bhi hue hain. You did a blunder in gs it seems.
    bhai i also think that i did fine in maths and i was also getting good marks in ims test series so gs can be the culprit but i an unable to digest the fact that i did so bad in gs because even lesser marks in gs would have been compensated by my optional for at least clearing mains if not interview.and i am sure i didnot perform horrible in gs, hence the confusion .
  • pizzza said:

It's been over 8 hours since the results were published. The feeling has sunk deep within us and we're all going through a tough time. I couldn't make it this time, I was disappointed. As i sat thinking over it, I realized that there are many wonderful people out there who are in a similar situation like me. Many of them would still be in deep agony and in isolation. This is the time we need to support each other and make efforts to bring a smile on each other's faces. Isiliye, thought of writing something for all my co-aspirants out there who thoroughly deserve a pep talk.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm - Winston Churchill
    When we tackle obstacles, we find hidden reserves of courage and resilience we did not know we had. And it is only when we are faced with failure do we realise that these resources were always there within us. We only need to find them and move on with our lives. - A.P.J. Abdul Kalam

There are two realities in life, Every end has a beautiful new beginning and all good things do come an end.
    You guys have endured it all, in-spite of all the hurdles and despite of all the struggles. You guys made it to the finish line, it doesn't matter where you stand. What matters is the process you went through to reach the finish line. That itself makes you a champion of champions. The experience and learning that you've gained through this will help you face toughest of situations in life with ease. Most of us don't realize this now, but one fine day we'll all be thanking our stars for all the failures we came across.

This must be unknown to most of you, but do not consider yourself any less because you guys have displayed nerves of steel and perseverance of a soldier. You guys are ready to meet new challenges and decimate them to conquer new set of dreams. There are in-numerous examples of those who failed in this exam but went on to do really really big in their lives. The same destiny lies awaiting for you all, It's all there just standing to be yours.

Take a break, This time is emotional. Make no decisions right now and just go through the feelings. Cry, Scream, talk with your loved ones, Just do everything you want to until your heart is content with it. Once your emotions subside, slowly begin to introspect and think what's next? I'm sure there are magnificent opportunities waiting for you.

Talk to everyone, make a list of all the learnings you gained through this and paste it on our wall. Let there be bright confidence in your faces when you talk to anyone, you're not a failure, you're a champion! Tell that with immense pride. I mean it because it's not in everyone to go through the grind. You are special and You took all the bullets with great passion. The world will one day appreciate and applaud your battle scars. Believe in yourself, You are amazing!!!

The path you've led is a path of re-discovering yourself. I just wish you all of you the very very very bestest from the bottom of my heart. Pick up another dream and start chasing it like a mad guy once again. After all, it's the madness and the thrill that we live for. After all, it's the craziness that gives us the best moments in life. :)

I have always believed that everything happens for a good reason. We fail to get better and get better.

This exam is super cruel. It demands maniac like perseverance and consistency. Of course there are exceptions to this who must have learnt this art of perseverance and consistency at some other point of life, but for us mere mortals it's something still far away from our reach. This is where we need to conquer.

Nothing big comes our way unless and until we start making every moment count. "Winning is a habit". Somebody said it so right.

We need to plan and execute every second of our journey so that we start winning our moments and our every-days. Once we start winning everyday, the habit will manifest great possibilities and brings in great success.

Failure comes only when we forget our ideals and objectives and principles. - Jawaharlal Nehru.

We need to be humble to accept the fact there is mindblowingly insane competition. The only way we can improve is to accept our mistakes and that there is something lacking in us. Of course there are factors that ain't in our control but there's point in discussing them because they will never be in our control. We need to take full charge of what we can control.

In my UPSC journey, I haven't come across any guy saying that he studied for 14 hrs* 365 days and still couldn't make it. I'm not saying we need to do exactly that, but i'm trying to convey that there's lot we can do to improve our efforts.

Let's be absolutely ruthless and give it all in a beast mode for the next attempt. Let's not put our swords down until and unless the last drop of sweat flows down from our skin. Let's fight and fight and fight till we have it in our sight!

Let the emotions subside, take a break and then start to introspect. Make a list of all the things that went wrong and decimate it one by one like a man on a mission. You can do it, You can definitely do it because we often don't realize how strong we are until we are pushed to the limit.

Promise yourself discipline, dedication and determination. The universe will promise you victory.

As the horizon basks in the glory of dawn tomorrow morning, Your journey towards magnificence will begin. Hold your nerves, it's going to be super exciting and an experience of life-time. Wish you all the brightest of days ahead and I hope to join you all in the pursuit of diligence. :relaxed:

@pizzza Waah pizzza bhai.... Bahut hi behatareen.. ... Maza aa gaya...

Brother, All the very best for the 2019...
  • Thanks pizza Bhai. Words do calm us down.
    Sehar kareeb hai.. taaro ka haal kya hoga..
  • Woke up, mechanically dressed up and ready to go to office.. It is for these mornings that i feel glad there is a job.. but deep down yesterday's failure broke me, it broke my spirit, it broke my parents.. whole night tossing in bed thinking where i went wrong.. Age running out, attempts running out, hair too.. 3rd mains, first missed by 7 marks, second by 19 and this god knws.. people giving me advices who i know are in through quota, but still i keep head down and listen, what to do?!!.. it hurts, it pains, after so many sleepless nights, so many sacrifices, delayed gratifications, everything seems to be in mess.. clueless, directionless and now i feel energyless.. This journey has broke me, thrashed me, killed my ego, killed my hopes, killed my youth, lost friends, girlfriend, those taunts of relatives..
    Kal weekend, fir se aur ek weekend in library, writing answers, doing MCQs, revising optional.. sab kuch wahi, kuch nahi badla :(
    Pressure mein aake Job join kari.. aur ab job aur preperation dono ne mujhe pressure mein daal diya hain.
  • I am in Job and in so called Silicon Valley But this was my worst day in office.Day was like punishment..I gave my this attempt from here by traveling and fortunately this was my best attempt. But result was shocking and holidays seem so torturous to me that I can’t expalin.So more than me I am believing on Human Nature which is cruel.This too shall pass.
    By the way..Now I am ready to help and learn and move on.
    :)
    P - 3 | M - 3 | I-Never
  • pizzza said:

Actually or unfortunately I don’t get motivated by such messages anymore but I get motivated rather by people like you who don’t give up even after failures or what not. Appreciate your perseverance and positivity
    P - 3 | M - 3 | I-Never
  • To all the people who say they lost their friends and girlfriend and even their youth..this exam is so unpredictable at times that I am happy I didn't stop enjoying my life just for the sake of it . All it needs is one hour daily. Call your friends. Talk to your girlfriend. In the end this extra one hour will not mean much to your preparation and in case things go wrong, you will still have some people around. Don't desert your life just for this exam . Atleast I am content.
    Sehar kareeb hai.. taaro ka haal kya hoga..
  • It makes no sense. My exams went really well. I can't even put a finger on what went wrong. Upsc is unpredictable. I can not understand. Last year I missed cutoff by a little. And this year I did much better. It's absolutely bonkers. I don't think I could have studied any harder. It makes absolutely no sense to me.
    Worst things in life come free to us - ed Sheeran.

(Pokertilt101)
  • 1st mains.
    Out_Anthro
    Have to give the best for 2019
    Do not have the luxury of giving any more attempts (though I still have 5 left)
    Essay & Ethics seem to be the culprit
    Any help in these areas would be appreciated..
  • edited December 2018
    My sympathies with all the Bros and sis who couldn't make it. The exam due to the sheer attention of most talented and resourceful competitors make it a tougher exam.

One flaw I saw in myself was inconsistency in writing tests and not being regular with current affairs through out the year, so last minute damage control had to be done. This I feel was too much risky and hence the result.

Thank God I have a strong support system (a gf , as parents are not much help here for me). Being in college has to managed to mellow down the blow.

I hope people come out these rude shock and start looking ahead in life, UPSC or otherwise.

@pizzza kaha se laate ho ye lines? "Promise yourself discipline, dedication and determination. The universe will promise you victory. " Salute to your attitude and thinking process.
    *Your* tears! *Your* blood! Your *pathetic* lives forged into something of worth
  • Thanks @pizzza ... :'( ... :)
  • It makes no sense. My exams went really well. I can't even put a finger on what went wrong. Upsc is unpredictable. I can not understand. Last year I missed cutoff by a little. And this year I did much better. It's absolutely bonkers. I don't think I could have studied any harder. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Hey bro :)
    Don't lose your heart. You must've once again missed it just by a mark or so. Just by a whisker. It happens because sometimes we don't experience the best of our luck. But luck changes with time and persistence. The more you keep going, the luckier you get. I don't know how that works but it definitely does. I can say this with confidence that if you keep going the same way, putting in all your efforts, your luck is bound to change, and change in a big big way. Kabhi kabhi things get delayed because we are worth much more than what we are eyeing at this moment.

Apart from this, something I learnt from this exam process. We may have given our best, but we don't know what is the best of others. We cannot predict our performance until and unless we exactly know how best our peers have performed. This is where guidance comes in. Find a bunch of guys(who are really willing to help you) who have made it to the list with flying colors. Show your answers to them and compare it with their answers. Discuss and discuss until you get a fair idea about how to pull up your game much beyond than them. Once you get to know the exact threshold and once you put in that efforts again, no one can stop you. I repeat no one can stop you. You will do it Bhai, one more perfect hit is all it takes.

• The biggest problem of the minute is to find out what I Fd up. I don't think I bombed up any paper, essay wasn't bad, gs2 was average, and others mostly on point. Also need to find out what went wrong in anthropology after a pretty good exam,...

No other option but to swim in the same slime and continue the same path, as I had been till now.
  • ST said:

Woke up, mechanically dressed up and ready to go to office.. It is for these mornings that i feel glad there is a job.. but deep down yesterday's failure broke me, it broke my spirit, it broke my parents.. whole night tossing in bed thinking where i went wrong.. Age running out, attempts running out, hair too.. 3rd mains, first missed by 7 marks, second by 19 and this god knws.. people giving me advices who i know are in through quota, but still i keep head down and listen, what to do?!!.. it hurts, it pains, after so many sleepless nights, so many sacrifices, delayed gratifications, everything seems to be in mess.. clueless, directionless and now i feel energyless.. This journey has broke me, thrashed me, killed my ego, killed my hopes, killed my youth, lost friends, girlfriend, those taunts of relatives..
    Kal weekend, fir se aur ek weekend in library, writing answers, doing MCQs, revising optional.. sab kuch wahi, kuch nahi badla :(

I'm really sorry I couldn't get back to you in the inbox the other day. :sweat_smile:

Haanji, you are right. The exam has left us wounded so sadly. But kahi na kahi, kabhi na kabhi these wounds will only become our badges of honor.

After all its the passion that keeps us going. :)

• School me suna tha..."the harder you work the luckier you get"....aisa kuch hota nazar nhi aaraha...4th attempt (2nd mains)...ab kya change karna padega kuch samajh nhi aaaraha..
    Chaman meñ iḳhtilāt-e-rañg-o-bū se baat bantī hai ,

Ham hī ham haiñ to kyā ham haiñ tum hī tum ho to kyā tum ho .
  • pizzza said:

ST said:

Woke up, mechanically dressed up and ready to go to office.. It is for these mornings that i feel glad there is a job.. but deep down yesterday's failure broke me, it broke my spirit, it broke my parents.. whole night tossing in bed thinking where i went wrong.. Age running out, attempts running out, hair too.. 3rd mains, first missed by 7 marks, second by 19 and this god knws.. people giving me advices who i know are in through quota, but still i keep head down and listen, what to do?!!.. it hurts, it pains, after so many sleepless nights, so many sacrifices, delayed gratifications, everything seems to be in mess.. clueless, directionless and now i feel energyless.. This journey has broke me, thrashed me, killed my ego, killed my hopes, killed my youth, lost friends, girlfriend, those taunts of relatives..

I'm really sorry I couldn't get back to you in the inbox the other day. :sweat_smile:

Haanji, you are right. The exam has left us wounded so sadly. But kahi na kahi, kabhi na kabhi these wounds will only become our badges of honor.

After all its the passion that keeps us going. :)
    Your words are very encouraging. But with 26 and just one attempt left I'm clueless what to do. Shall I first secure a job from PSC? Or what? This exam is really crushing.
  • School me suna tha..."the harder you work the luckier you get"....aisa kuch hota nazar nhi aaraha...4th attempt (2nd mains)...ab kya change karna padega kuch samajh nhi aaaraha..

The universe is harsh, illogical and unjust. Rise above your weight and punch this thing down, or it will punch you till you end up squatting on your knees and accept defeat.
  • Ivan, White Walker, alright, zaphod, che thank you. :)

• Had our Prez Ram nath kovind ji continued in civil service which he had cleared.. I doubt he wud hv become Prez...just saying...
    It is a gud thing to clear this exam but not the ONLY gud thing....
    Lyf success is defined by continuous endeavours, not one tym performances.
    1st deserve, THEN desire
Sign In or Join to comment.

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google