China draws up tighter rules on human gene and embryo trials Afghanistan’s top court extends Ghani’s term till delayed elections Indian,US Navies hold anti submarine warfare exercise Medicine labels in regional language Ban orders clamped in Sabarimala as per Centre’s directive: Pinarayi

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

How to manage failure in UPSC Mains?

Hope this thread makes us prepared for the eventuality and makes it less stressful on receiving a bad news on result day. Seniors, please chip in.
P - 1 | M - 1 | I - 1* | First Attempt | Hoping for the best in 2018

Comments

• edited December 2018
  • Ek thread tha Stories of upsc people ka forum m 1 2 saal phle tak upar rhta tha.. wo dundo.. shayd usse best koi motivation ya support nhi hogi us din :|
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)

" Woods are lovely dark and deep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    And miles to go before I sleep.. before I sleep. " :)

#HumHongeKamyaabEkDin :)
  • Its best to expect failure, and be prepared mentally. I dunno but this actually has helped me.

Firstly, I don't get depressed or sad for too long a time, since I always expect failure. Secondly as I tell all that I will fail, no one really expects me to pass, so I can always say, well, I had told u. Thirdly, and lastly, apart from some good ole lucky 812 kids all others will fail, so the faster the better . At the end, it is the worst to get eliminated in interview

Expect and accept failures. As I have always said, it would be a pleasant surprise if my roll number is there in the pdf. But such surprises rarely happen
  • Just don't search your roll number right away when the result comes. Take deep breaths and do 5 minutes of introspection. Convince yourself that you tried your best, be grateful for whatever you already have and have faith that everything happens for good in the longer run.
  • Ek thread tha Stories of upsc people ka forum m 1 2 saal phle tak upar rhta tha.. wo dundo.. shayd usse best koi motivation ya support nhi hogi us din :|

Kis naam se ta thread ?
  • Just don't search your roll number right away when the result comes. Take deep breaths and do 5 minutes of introspection. Convince yourself that you tried your best, be grateful for whatever you already have and have faith that everything happens for good in the longer run.

Good one brother....i also did that after the prelims.
  • Escape. C2H5OH
    2017,2018 : P+M.
    Anthropology
  • Pessimism disguised as realism?
  • The context that "my exam went well, so I should clear isn't necessarily directly proportional".

The approach of @It ain't me is similar to mine.

I too expect failure and convinced myself that. I have even told my close ones for whom my results really matter because it's their sadness that really hurt us. So I have mentally prepared them also.

Also another way to manage such feeling is to get busy. I joined JNU this fall semester in midst of my exam. Now I am reaping it's benefit. It is keeping me so busy that I have no time to think anything other then submitting assignments, doing readings, research proposal and soaking it's culture.

So get busy and expect failure.
    *Your* tears! *Your* blood! Your *pathetic* lives forged into something of worth
  • edited December 2018

The context that "my exam went well, so I should clear isn't necessarily directly proportional".

The approach of @It ain't me is similar to mine.

I too expect failure and convinced myself that. I have even told my close ones for whom my results really matter because it's their sadness that really hurt us. So I have mentally prepared them also.

Also another way to manage such feeling is to get busy. I joined JNU this fall semester in midst of my exam. Now I am reaping it's benefit. It is keeping me so busy that I have no time to think anything other then submitting assignments, doing readings, research proposal and soaking it's culture.

So get busy and expect failure.

but this way may be subconscious will learn to fail hapily.!
    will b cheating our real authentic self (subconscious). it helps in understanding us well.
    better expect whatever u judge. and let d emo.. flowww !! #danielKahneman.

those who hate tingg!! try mute option
  • I have seen many failures from interview rejections to jee etc and somehow I still feel vulnerable I know whatever I do it will make me feel sad to be not be there on the pdf only way out of it would be to accept the fact and keep studying
    PS: I am thankful I have great set of parents somehow they ensure I am not sad for too long

good one!
    Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

3rd attempt.

sir aap delete kya kiye?
    Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

3rd attempt.
  • Hope this thread makes us prepared for the eventuality and makes it less stressful on receiving a bad news on result day. Seniors, please chip in.

What I have decided?

This is my 3rd attempt and also 3rd serious. 2nd mains.Failed in Prelims CSE2016. Failed in CSE 2017 (816 - Mains, 132 - interview).
    On result date of CSE 2017 I have decided I will give whatever I have left with total dedication in CSE2018. Worked hard for 1 month for pre and then comes 3rd June and Prelims paper, like most people I was not able to get what is happening, where is the knowledge of VISION, INSIGHT, FORUM ,so called reference books, Current Affairs vanished? and as expected performed poorly in Prelims. I came to home waited for Shankar's key and calculated marks... It was 84.66 and as per my expectation and experience I felt that cutoff will be around 95-98 considering toughness of paper. The thought of failure and wastage of 3 years all crept in my mind with speed more than light's. I kept that prelims paper aside not to look back it again ever in life. The toughest part starts from here back to back 2 failures in 1 month.

Sharing here what I have decided at that time.

There are many unfortunes can happen with anyone in life. Look at daily Indian Express report of "Faulty Implants", the story of 3 year girl getting raped in temple premises, Umpires giving wrong decisions in finals of Olympics, Rich people driving cars over poors and getting acquittals, Corrupt engineers making faulty flyovers which collapses. As we read Hindu, Express we know that there is no mistake of the child getting birth in Syria, still she/he dies or gets orphaned for so called great power rivalries.

What is the fault of victims in all this cases?
    It is Fault of fortune which is not in their hands. Still they lost their lives for the mistakes of others for which they even don't got justice( The most illusive thing in the world). They suffered for mistakes of others.

When we compare our UPSC failures with this we have very less to blame anyone else than ourselves. In our failures majority is on our side, on our own mistakes. I thought that time, that I will consider it Accident which costed me 3 years of life, -0.5 spect and Hairfall... And living with shitty Delhi people. This cost I found less when I compared my Fortune/Misfortune with these people. At least I am alive to see results of my mistakes rather at receiving end of anyone else's mistakes. I will accept my defeat, will moderate my desires and will do good in any other field. And I found it helpful. I found that keeping target of Studying 12 hrs a day and achieving 10hrs makes us stressed but keeping target of 10 hrs and achieving it makes us happy. Happiness is what we need rather success and moderation in desire can give this to us.

Fast forward on 28th June 2018 I had strange feeling in night to check the Pre paper again and I found that I have scored 92.66, which I have mistakenly calculated 84.66 under sadness of performance.If 2 questions of Baikal lake and Rajyasabha MPs come in my favour.... I will be up again. And indeed on 14th July I was resurrected to fight. The next 2 and half month went with tremendous speed and now result is near.

If failure comes (which I expect) again, I will read this POST again to remind myself that nothing is lost but 3 years of life and still there are other walks of life where I can be good. UPSC is not end of life and Life is far, far bigger than this 2+9 papers and interview cycle. And we are gifted by nature with LIFE not UPSC. Life is waiting to live which most of us forgotten in last few years.

Thank you for reading long post.Bit philosophical but it is what helped me.
    All the best to all for results...

PS: I strongly believes in thought that "One gets what one deserve rather what one wants". If one deserves one will get that otherwise getting the things wanted and not having competency to handle them is most regrettable feeling.

I knew that, the moment the great governing spirit strikes the blow to divide all humanity into just two opposing factions, I would be on the side of the common people.
  • comfort zone se bhar aao comfort zone mein exam dogay to chaiye 600 attempt lelo exam clear nahi hoga u have to make scarifice start from now
  • Hope this thread makes us prepared for the eventuality and makes it less stressful on receiving a bad news on result day. Seniors, please chip in.

What I have decided?

This is my 3rd attempt and also 3rd serious. 2nd mains.Failed in Prelims CSE2016. Failed in CSE 2017 (816 - Mains, 132 - interview).
    On result date of CSE 2017 I have decided I will give whatever I have left with total dedication in CSE2018. Worked hard for 1 month for pre and then comes 3rd June and Prelims paper, like most people I was not able to get what is happening, where is the knowledge of VISION, INSIGHT, FORUM ,so called reference books, Current Affairs vanished? and as expected performed poorly in Prelims. I came to home waited for Shankar's key and calculated marks... It was 84.66 and as per my expectation and experience I felt that cutoff will be around 95-98 considering toughness of paper. The thought of failure and wastage of 3 years all crept in my mind with speed more than light's. I kept that prelims paper aside not to look back it again ever in life. The toughest part starts from here back to back 2 failures in 1 month.

Sharing here what I have decided at that time.

There are many unfortunes can happen with anyone in life. Look at daily Indian Express report of "Faulty Implants", the story of 3 year girl getting raped in temple premises, Umpires giving wrong decisions in finals of Olympics, Rich people driving cars over poors and getting acquittals, Corrupt engineers making faulty flyovers which collapses. As we read Hindu, Express we know that there is no mistake of the child getting birth in Syria, still she/he dies or gets orphaned for so called great power rivalries.

What is the fault of victims in all this cases?
    It is Fault of fortune which is not in their hands. Still they lost their lives for the mistakes of others for which they even don't got justice( The most illusive thing in the world). They suffered for mistakes of others.

When we compare our UPSC failures with this we have very less to blame anyone else than ourselves. In our failures majority is on our side, on our own mistakes. I thought that time, that I will consider it Accident which costed me 3 years of life, -0.5 spect and Hairfall... And living with shitty Delhi people. This cost I found less when I compared my Fortune/Misfortune with these people. At least I am alive to see results of my mistakes rather at receiving end of anyone else's mistakes. I will accept my defeat, will moderate my desires and will do good in any other field. And I found it helpful. I found that keeping target of Studying 12 hrs a day and achieving 10hrs makes us stressed but keeping target of 10 hrs and achieving it makes us happy. Happiness is what we need rather success and moderation in desire can give this to us.

Fast forward on 28th June 2018 I had strange feeling in night to check the Pre paper again and I found that I have scored 92.66, which I have mistakenly calculated 84.66 under sadness of performance.If 2 questions of Baikal lake and Rajyasabha MPs come in my favour.... I will be up again. And indeed on 14th July I was resurrected to fight. The next 2 and half month went with tremendous speed and now result is near.

If failure comes (which I expect) again, I will read this POST again to remind myself that nothing is lost but 3 years of life and still there are other walks of life where I can be good. UPSC is not end of life and Life is far, far bigger than this 2+9 papers and interview cycle. And we are gifted by nature with LIFE not UPSC. Life is waiting to live which most of us forgotten in last few years.

Thank you for reading long post.Bit philosophical but it is what helped me.
    All the best to all for results...

PS: I strongly believes in thought that "One gets what one deserve rather what one wants". If one deserves one will get that otherwise getting the things wanted and not having competency to handle them is most regrettable feeling.

+10000000ⁿ
    Prelims 2017 - 108.66
    Mains2017 - 806 (geography - 230)
    Prelims 2018 = 112 ( shankar)
    Mains 2018* PT *
    Age - 22
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google