ANSWER WRITING GROUP (AWG) 2019
ForumIAS AWG 2019 Entrance Exam will be held on 8th June | 9 AM.   CLICK HERE to know more and apply.
Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Current Affairs Query

Hello. Being new to this forum & even after going through first several pages of discussion regarding this topic - I couldn't find a satisfactory answer to my question, which is -
Will it be sufficient if I cover these following sources for Prelims & Mains 2019?
- Vision Ias Current Affairs Magazine - From September 2018
- Insight Monthly Current Affaurs - From June 2018
- Insight Secure Compilation - From September 2018
- Forum Ias 7 PM Editorials / Insight into Editorials - From September 2018
- Shankar Ias Parliament - Yojana & Kurukshetra Gist - From September 2018

It will be very helpful if you, who have already cleared mains, can give your opinion on this approach.

P.S - Excluding Newspaper is preferable for me.

Comments

• Those are a lot.

Pick anyone of the regular sources, pick one editorial Wala and yojana.

I had these.

1. Vision monthly.
    2. Insight Secure/Editorial
    3. Yojana.

Since you are a newbie, you'd find these to be less considering the fact that you are appearing "ias exam" but as you sprint towards mains, lesser materials in your study table would give you the much needed mental peace.
  • edited November 2018

Hello. Being new to this forum & even after going through first several pages of discussion regarding this topic - I couldn't find a satisfactory answer to my question, which is -
    Will it be sufficient if I cover these following sources for Prelims & Mains 2019?

It will be very helpful if you, who have already cleared mains, can give your opinion on this approach.

Bajarang bali ke bhakt banoge tabhi clear hoga. :#
    On a serious note i feel newspaper is indispensable consideringyhow the prelims and mains pattern is evolving
    P-2,M-2*:I-0
    Mains:17-800 :s
    PSIR :120 :'( +155

• Those are a lot.

I had these.

1. Vision monthly.
    3. Yojana.

Since you are a newbie, you'd find these to be less considering the fact that you are appearing "ias exam" but as you sprint towards mains, lesser materials in your study table would give you the much needed mental peace.

Thanks a ton. Can you Please mention a time range (since which month?) for the sources?
  • Hello. Being new to this forum & even after going through first several pages of discussion regarding this topic - I couldn't find a satisfactory answer to my question, which is -

Bajarang bali ke bhakt banoge tabhi clear hoga. :#
    On a serious note i feel newspaper is indispensable consideringyhow the prelims and mains pattern is evolving
    haha. Thanks.
  • edited November 2018
    Complilation are good and helpful ( but follow just one , any of them) , but it can never replace the newspaper , reading a paper and internalizing it will give you real insights and some original content too
    HUSTLE
  • its more than enough
  • Those are a lot.

I had these.

1. Vision monthly.
    3. Yojana.

Thanks a ton. Can you Please mention a time range (since which month?) for the sources?
    1 year prior to exam is considered ideal. Like May-to-May if the exam is in June of next year.

I prefer covering the entire year's CA plus months before the exam.

Jan-Dec'18 + Jan-May 19, for prelims of June 19.

Continue with the above resources + new monthly materials till the month before mains.

1 month before mains, I don't read any new stuffs. Just revise.
  • @zohanmukharjee @makzyy @NoOneKilledRoopmati
    thanks a ton for your opinions. after going through all the suggestions, I have decided to moderate the previous source list & stick to this new one -
    - Must Read News Articles by Forum Ias (from June 2018)
    - Vision Monthly Current Affairs Magazine (from June 2018)
    - Insight into Editorials (from September 2018)

further suggestions, recommendations & opinions are very welcome.
  • @lemonsfordemons
    You will restrict a lot if you will pick up InsightsintoEditorials, only.

Think from a content creator's PoV. If you have to break a newspaper(ie hindu + others) into Quiz+Current Affairs+Secure+Insightsinto Editorial, then doing only their editorial document will cover only 25% of the actual required content.
    So, do not leave the other 3.
    You must complete 1 coaching's entire material to be thorough with the happenings.

In my suggestion, you must do Insights Current Affairs + Quiz (for Pre) and Vision IAS magazines for Mains. Note, that 2 are to be read together.
  • @zohanmukharjee
    Will it possible for you to share some exact learning outcomes from the Newspaper?
    I know there are examples/case studies and data, but I would love to hear from you how exactly have you/are planning to build up on the newspaper and incorporate them into your notes.

Having said this, I do not imply that I am questioning reading the newspapers. :)
  • Hey if anyone needs insights preliminary test series for CSE pre 2019 at a discounted rate please DM me.
  • @zohanmukharjee
    Will it possible for you to share some exact learning outcomes from the Newspaper?
    I know there are examples/case studies and data, but I would love to hear from you how exactly have you/are planning to build up on the newspaper and incorporate them into your notes.

Having said this, I do not imply that I am questioning reading the newspapers. :)

making exhaustive notes for even newspapers is trivial and too time consuming , just scribble some imp points that you are sure that are marks fetcher ( both for mains and facts for pre) . rest compilations do rest of job . reading newspapers gives you a freedom to have your own unique perspective on issue , which maybe not perfect but will fetch you more marks .
    HUSTLE
  • @lemonsfordemons
    You will restrict a lot if you will pick up InsightsintoEditorials, only.

Think from a content creator's PoV. If you have to break a newspaper(ie hindu + others) into Quiz+Current Affairs+Secure+Insightsinto Editorial, then doing only their editorial document will cover only 25% of the actual required content.
    So, do not leave the other 3.
    You must complete 1 coaching's entire material to be thorough with the happenings.

In my suggestion, you must do Insights Current Affairs + Quiz (for Pre) and Vision IAS magazines for Mains. Note, that 2 are to be read together.

Thank you @user_indica for your suggestion.
    Regarding "restricting a lot" - I have mentioned my sources which includes 'Insights into Editorials', but not exclusively. I am only leaving 'Insights Current Affairs + Quiz' among your suggestions. Now can you please describe the effectiveness (in both qualitative & quantitative sense) of that particular source in relation to recent years' Prelims question papers?
    There is a recent notion that UPSC's 'POV' is to curb the influence of these websites - I would like to know your two cents on this. Thanks again.
  • You need to read the newspaper anyway, so i am here to cut down your time in that. This is my blog, i summarize the Hindu articles and editorials to prepare the takeaways solely for UPSC CSE. Have a look
    https://upsconlineprep.blogspot.com
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google