All India Open Prelims Simulator Test X
on 22nd May, 2019 CLICK HERE to know more and apply
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Dilemma about Changing Optional

Hello all

After 4 unsuccessful attempts ( 2 interviews) with Geography optional , I have decided to change my optional and take Anthropology.

I want to ask few questions

1. should i change my optional or stick to geography?
2. Is it necessary to join coaching classes for anthropology?
3. what are the sources one should follow for anthropology?

Please help forumites.

Comments

• csefinal said:

Hello all

After 4 unsuccessful attempts ( 2 interviews) with Geography optional , I have decided to change my optional and take Anthropology.

Please help forumites.

Plz avoid anthropology...due to magnificent result anthropology gave previous year...this optional pleasing many and soon or may be this or next year you will see the fate of this optional same as public administration.

I would suggest you to first take some technical optional if you have any hold on technical one, like maths, stats etc...or if you are interested in mba as a fall back, consider management or sociology, psychology, economic etc....

According to me avoid pub adm, anthropology, and political science..these are cakes these days but sooner become brunt of UPSC.
  • edited November 2018
    csefinal said:

Hello all

Please help forumites.

Take anthropology without any fear. many will try to stop you from taking anthropology. Just read Braintree notes for 3 months it is one stop solution. And i assure you even if butchered you can score 285+ in anthropology as highest is 350 in anthropology. Many have done it before you can do it too.

Go ahead remember fortune favors the brave
  • Dorjay123 said:

csefinal said:

Hello all

Please help forumites.

Plz avoid anthropology...due to magnificent result anthropology gave previous year...this optional pleasing many and soon or may be this or next year you will see the fate of this optional same as public administration.

I would suggest you to first take some technical optional if you have any hold on technical one, like maths, stats etc...or if you are interested in mba as a fall back, consider management or sociology, psychology, economic etc....

According to me avoid pub adm, anthropology, and political science..these are cakes these days but sooner become brunt of UPSC.
    Psir has about 2500 in this mains compared to only 900 in anthropology. Huge difference.
  • csefinal said:

Hello all

Please help forumites.

Change ...Geo seems to be not rewarding..

I changed to EE optional...I noticed in EE optional the pattern of questions asked doesn't change drastically each year unlike geo as it had less takers.
    Though EE optional took more time to cover than geo . The geo syllabus topics are too general and not to the point and something new which we never studied always comes and that too to a major extent...I didn't experience the same in EE. I think these are the two disadvantages of Geo optional which result in low marks generally.

If anthropology had " to the point " syllabus and certain degree of pattern in the questions asked Go for it

• bharat-rt said:

csefinal said:

Hello all

Please help forumites.

I changed to EE optional...I noticed in EE optional the pattern of questions asked doesn't change drastically each year unlike geo as it had less takers.
    Though EE optional took more time to cover than geo . The geo syllabus topics are too general and not to the point and something new which we never studied always comes and that too to a major extent...I didn't experience the same in EE. I think these are the two disadvantages of Geo optional which result in low marks generally.

If anthropology had " to the point " syllabus and certain degree of pattern in the questions asked Go for it

Another point is if someone already scoring 280+ in their optional then not much use of changing. However if stuck below 250 then must change
  • bharat-rt said:

csefinal said:

Hello all

Please help forumites.

Another point is if someone already scoring 280+ in their optional then not much use of changing. However if stuck below 250 then must change
    I too am shifting to EE after 3 Mains with Geo
    Prelims - 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018
    Mains - 2016 | 2017 | 2018
    Interview - 2016 | 2017 | 2018
    Final list - X
  • edited November 2018

csefinal said:

Hello all

Please help forumites.

Take anthropology without any fear. many will try to stop you from taking anthropology. Just read Braintree notes for 3 months it is one stop solution. And i assure you even if butchered you can score 285+ in anthropology as highest is 350 in anthropology. Many have done it before you can do it too.

+100

there is solid reason why anthropology preforms and its due to lack of objectivity /difference in opinions ( thats what i was told by a friend)

so butchering should not be a concern and braintree / sosin is more than sufficient
    HUSTLE
  • csefinal said:

Hello all

Please help forumites.

+100

there is solid reason why anthropology preforms and its due to lack of objectivity /difference in opinions ( thats what i was told by a friend)

so butchering should not be a concern and braintree / sosin is more than sufficient
    Then makes more sense then pol sci...as that May be butchered...but anthropology is giving ridiculously good scores...so some risk of upsc going after it....
    Someone with geo can take agriculture....it's technical hardly any student n has given decent output...plus geo ka kuch knowledge be sayad kaam aae
  • Anthro last year paper was a cakewalk which led to high scores and the "short" and "objective" perception stemmed due to consistent recycling of 150-200 standard questions.This year trend changed with newer questions and harder paper 1.In future with mad rush to anthro and more diversification of questions coupled with lack of material(braintree etc are outdated and pretty substandard), it is only going to go downhill from here.
    Just my opinion
  • go for geology, as of overlapping syllabus between geogrpahy and geology optional ,with this yu can also apply for ifos exam, and can easily prepare 2nd optional of ifos after cse mains because of 2 month difference between cse and ifos mains
  • Side point: I am 26 and didn't have any job during upsc prep for 4 years..As i changed to EE optional ,I had new areas of job opportunities opened...Just got AE job in PWD couple of weeks after mains..New avenues via GATE and IES will open..

If you are from technical background and decently good at it and with no job, kindly take a look at technical subjects too...
  • bharat-rt said:

csefinal said:

Hello all

Please help forumites.

Bro can you please answer these questions
    (1) How was the transition from Geography to electrical engineer optional ? (Considering the fact that both have huge syllabus)
    (2) How much relevant is electrical engineer optional from the point of view of the other backup options like GATE, PSU, IES etc?
    (3) Did you take coaching for electrical engineer optional ?
    (4) Considering the fact that I am not good at certain areas of electrical engineering like Network analysis, Control systems and Electronics related part, would it be advisable to take electrical engineering optional ?
    (5) As you reached interview stage twice with geography optional then was it geography optional that was dragging your overall scores ?
    P.S. I am also looking forward to changing the optional from geography to electrical engineering optional..
  • edited November 2018
    Hi there!

Above 230- change optional; below- work harder on same optional( if scores are around 230-250 but scores are down due to gs4/gs1/ gs2/gs3 in same order work on them as well as optional)

If you want to change optional do it in latest by this month;
    Any new optional won't be a cake walk
    1) understanding basics
    2) coaching ,else videos ,else standard text books(coaching is an easy way out due to less time)
    3) making your own notes for content differentiation by referring to value added materials)
    I would suggest you to go for maths or statistics..
    Fail faster to succeed faster!
  • Dead Man said:

bharat-rt said:

csefinal said:

Hello all

Please help forumites.

(1) How was the transition from Geography to electrical engineer optional ? (Considering the fact that both have huge syllabus)
    (2) How much relevant is electrical engineer optional from the point of view of the other backup options like GATE, PSU, IES etc?
    (4) Considering the fact that I am not good at certain areas of electrical engineering like Network analysis, Control systems and Electronics related part, would it be advisable to take electrical engineering optional ?
    (5) As you reached interview stage twice with geography optional then was it geography optional that was dragging your overall scores ?
    P.S. I am also looking forward to changing the optional from geography to electrical engineering optional..
    I bought made easy books and went for nextias online class post prelims. Plus standard books for reference.

As for preparation , preparing self notes is must .One should have made notes for each and every topic..In Geo one can do fast revision from books at the last minute .This is not possible in EE hence the need for notes.After 3 to 4 revisions , certain subjects like control systems ,networks get affixed in your mind..

Next unlike geo there is no need for answer writing.But one must solve problems which are similar to those asked in exam..Many times same problem with changed values are asked ( In paper 2 Nyquist plot problem in control systems 2017 , 2018 exactly same problem with different transfer function was asked .In paper 1 Analog n Digital electronics problems were repeated with different flavour).

Solid first time preparation alongside note taking and solving problems took 8 to 9 months for me.

Time allocation during exam is totally different for EE.Since most are problem based , if you know the approach even a 20 marker can be done in 5 minutes or sometimes even a 10 marker can take more time.Attending 220 to 230/250 is good in EE ..Finishing with 250/250 is bit impossible.

As for Gate one need to study Engineering maths

As for IES , IES related GS and 2 chapters in regard to computer fundamentals and electric materials need to be covered

Then there are state PCS engineering exams , SSC exams which are absolute cake walk once you finish the syllabus

• bharat-rt said:

Dead Man said:

bharat-rt said:

csefinal said:

Hello all

Please help forumites.

I bought made easy books and went for nextias online class post prelims. Plus standard books for reference.

As for preparation , preparing self notes is must .One should have made notes for each and every topic..In Geo one can do fast revision from books at the last minute .This is not possible in EE hence the need for notes.After 3 to 4 revisions , certain subjects like control systems ,networks get affixed in your mind..

Next unlike geo there is no need for answer writing.But one must solve problems which are similar to those asked in exam..Many times same problem with changed values are asked ( In paper 2 Nyquist plot problem in control systems 2017 , 2018 exactly same problem with different transfer function was asked .In paper 1 Analog n Digital electronics problems were repeated with different flavour).

Solid first time preparation alongside note taking and solving problems took 8 to 9 months for me.

Time allocation during exam is totally different for EE.Since most are problem based , if you know the approach even a 20 marker can be done in 5 minutes or sometimes even a 10 marker can take more time.Attending 220 to 230/250 is good in EE ..Finishing with 250/250 is bit impossible.

As for Gate one need to study Engineering maths

As for IES , IES related GS and 2 chapters in regard to computer fundamentals and electric materials need to be covered

Then there are state PCS engineering exams , SSC exams which are absolute cake walk once you finish the syllabus

Thanks bro
  • Hi there!

Above 230- change optional; below- work harder on same optional( if scores are around 230-250 but scores are down due to gs4/gs1/ gs2/gs3 in same order work on them as well as optional)

1) understanding basics
    2) coaching ,else videos ,else standard text books(coaching is an easy way out due to less time)
    3) making your own notes for content differentiation by referring to value added materials)

I think anthropology is easy and doable in 3 months with Braintree material
  • Hi there!

1) understanding basics

I think anthropology is easy and doable in 3 months with Braintree material
    Question isn't about feasibility per se! As he has already given 4 attempts, his state of mind to take up one more new optional in his last attempt and finishing it along with rest all in a manner to get a rank is in question. I am sure we all are well equipped. One should and must try in his own way, I am not telling him that he can't or anthro isn't doable.

@csefinal bhai good luck! Hope you get through this time. And please if you want to change optional do it asap, by this month, else it is too late according to me.
    Fail faster to succeed faster!
  • no optional is doable in 3-4 months and no coaching institute can help in short period of time..be aware of marketing propaganda..start asap or stick to the Geography..personally i will suggest the latter..there is few myths about some optional s like philosophy can be completed in 03 months..i took nearly a year to get a hold of it and understand /think correctly ..Upsc would not ask such questions that coaching brigade focus..so be careful..
  • tss said:

no optional is doable in 3-4 months and no coaching institute can help in short period of time..be aware of marketing propaganda..start asap or stick to the Geography..personally i will suggest the latter..there is few myths about some optional s like philosophy can be completed in 03 months..i took nearly a year to get a hold of it and understand /think correctly ..Upsc would not ask such questions that coaching brigade focus..so be careful..

AIR 1 said anthropology he completed in 3 months. So yes it is doable. Infact i have anthropology and i know it's easy to do with just Braintree material and get 280+
  • tss said:

no optional is doable in 3-4 months and no coaching institute can help in short period of time..be aware of marketing propaganda..start asap or stick to the Geography..personally i will suggest the latter..there is few myths about some optional s like philosophy can be completed in 03 months..i took nearly a year to get a hold of it and understand /think correctly ..Upsc would not ask such questions that coaching brigade focus..so be careful..

AIR 1 said anthropology he completed in 3 months. So yes it is doable. Infact i have anthropology and i know it's easy to do with just Braintree material and get 280+
    +1 me sbko bolta hu if your optional doesn't strike a chord even after 3 attempts , go for one and only anthropology...it's the best ...the best..the bestest pie out there
    initializing MIDI inputs and outputs ェ炎のーカ
  • tss said:

+1 me sbko bolta hu if your optional doesn't strike a chord even after 3 attempts , go for one and only anthropology...it's the best ...the best..the bestest pie out there
    but there is an apprehension i think about butchering of this optional is on the horizon.there is a risk factor though..this year's marks will provide a clue i guess...
  • tss said:

I mean why wait for 3 attempts, its foolishness when something so rewarding exists. Maximum take 1 attempt if one has not heard about it. And once you here about it take it immediately. Gives ample time for GS also.
  • @csefinal and @onepointfive please share your GS and geo marks on '16 and '17 mains..
    I'm on the same page but not able to decide whether to change or not, or what should be the threshold marks in optional to take this decision.
  • @csefinal and @onepointfive please share your GS and geo marks on '16 and '17 mains..
    I'm on the same page but not able to decide whether to change or not, or what should be the threshold marks in optional to take this decision.

Gs score - 114 +98+ 105 +99
    Essay - 144
    Geo- 118+148

Gs score - 118+108+115+90
    Essay- 126
    Geo- 117+151
  • csefinal said:

@csefinal and @onepointfive please share your GS and geo marks on '16 and '17 mains..

Essay - 144
    Geo- 118+148

Essay- 126
    Geo- 117+151
    Ur changing after getting 270 ?? 4-5 months naye optional vala time gs,essay n geo me doh may give more returns...Ur not getting 230-240 ...no optional can guarantee 300
  • edited November 2018

csefinal said:

@csefinal and @onepointfive please share your GS and geo marks on '16 and '17 mains..

Essay - 144
    Geo- 118+148

Essay- 126
    Geo- 117+151
    Ur changing after getting 270 ?? 4-5 months naye optional vala time gs,essay n geo me doh may give more returns...Ur not getting 230-240 ...no optional can guarantee 300
    True. 280 marks is good enough to get IAS

150 450 280 = 880

Its essay and GS to blame not optional. 290+ is not so common in any optional let it be the easiest optional. Look at topper marks from rank 30-100. You will not find many with 290+
  • csefinal said:

Essay - 144
    Geo- 118+148

Essay- 126
    Geo- 117+151
    You have pretty decent marks in optional. I also won't suggest to change.

If you think you can't increase more in geo, then still there is definite scope of GS and essay improvement.. Atleast 20-25 marks could easily manage in these 5papers.
    And seems you screwed your PT both times too. So may be this time you could get decent rank by improving PT itself.

Ps: i totally understand when geo optional doesn't give as much return as we put effort in this. So changing optional seems rational. But.. With 270 in optional, we should look ub rest 6papers (including PT) for improvement rather than switching.

• Hi, maximum number of successful candidates were from which optional?

Can management optional be done in 3 months?

Chances of removal of optional?
    IPS in making
  • Hi, maximum number of successful candidates were from which optional?

Can management optional be done in 3 months?

Chances of removal of optional?

bhai ye pakka maan k chalo k agle 3-4 years tak koi optional remove nahi hoga
  • edited November 2018
    csefinal said:

Essay - 144
    Geo- 118+148

Essay- 126
    Geo- 117+151
    Sir mujhe bata do itte marks kaise aaye..
    Prelims 2017 - 108.66
    Mains2017 - 806 (geography - 230)
    Prelims 2018 = 112 ( shankar)
    Mains 2018* PT *
    Age - 22
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google