Impunity of Public Officials - which provisions enable it?

What are the relevant constitutional provisions granting impunity to public officials when they commit some wrong on a citizen as part of official work? For example if one is detained without proper procedural or substantive grounds, the citizen can have his remedies for release, but can't procede against the official in a court.

There is some similar provison for ministers as well I guess by which the minister can not be invidually tried for official executive work. Anybody remembers what provisions enable these?

And one more query - are ministers, MPs, MLAs, counsellors, panchayat members counted as public officials?
Empowered ur ego, enhanced ur desire - u'll die without living.

U need to empower your intelligence, and enhance ur competence. Do something to the best of ur ability, and get fulfillment, joy, life.

Comments

• edited October 2018

U need to empower your intelligence, and enhance ur competence. Do something to the best of ur ability, and get fulfillment, joy, life.
  • Constitution only protects members of all India services under art 311...

Yes. They are public officials. They are part of state under art 12.
  • okay. I think I read something to this effect in DD Basu, beyond service rules. can't recount what and where it was.

• edited October 2018

What are the relevant constitutional provisions granting impunity to public officials when they commit some wrong on a citizen as part of official work? For example if one is detained without proper procedural or substantive grounds, the citizen can have his remedies for release, but can't procede against the official in a court.

There is some similar provison for ministers as well I guess by which the minister can not be invidually tried for official executive work. Anybody remembers what provisions enable these?

And one more query - are ministers, MPs, MLAs, counsellors, panchayat members counted as public officials?

Emergency k time pe aur Art 311 me jo de rakha h baki FR me exceptions me,detention etc me official k against nahi ja skte provided duty discharge karne ka right ho uske pas(no wrongful act)..crpc ipc se linked rahega means remedy yahan par given h ..

Section 21 of IPC me de rakha h definition of Pub Servant.. Panchayat members ate hain kuch cases me..MP/MLA as pub servant par debtate h kuch court cases like in M. Karunanidhi v. Union of India (1979) me unko Pub Servant consider kiya gya h..but grey area h ye
  • What are the relevant constitutional provisions granting impunity to public officials when they commit some wrong on a citizen as part of official work? For example if one is detained without proper procedural or substantive grounds, the citizen can have his remedies for release, but can't procede against the official in a court.

Emergency k time pe aur Art 311 me jo de rakha h baki FR me exceptions me,detention etc me official k against nahi ja skte provided duty discharge karne ka right ho uske pas(no wrongful act)..crpc ipc se linked rahega means remedy yahan par given h ..

Section 21 of IPC me de rakha h definition of Pub Servant.. Panchayat members ate hain kuch cases me..MP/MLA as pub servant par debtate h kuch court cases like in M. Karunanidhi v. Union of India (1979) me unko Pub Servant consider kiya gya h..but grey area h ye
    ok.

Sign In or Join to comment.

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google