ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MITRA'S IAS - "ADMISSION OPEN" - NEW BATCH BEGINNING WITH WESTERN PHILOSOPHY STARTING FROM 16th NOVEMBER 11.AM (LIMITED SEATS)
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
Website:- www.mitrasias.com;  Address: MITRAS IAS , 39 PUSA ROAD, SAMAYAK TOWER OPPOSITE METRO PILLAR NO.- 120

Select Focus Group ( SFG ) for Prelims 2019 | Registration Open | 25th Nov Entrance Test

Dear All,

We have come up with our most intensive program designed for Prelims 2019 preparation. We will be selecting 100 students this year as well for the Select Focus Group ( SFG ) and upto 300 additional students for the Reserved Group for preparation for Prelims 2019.

We have opened the registrations , now and there will be an entrance test for the same on November 25th. The fees will be on the lines of last years SFG itself.

Interested candidates who would like to join us for this offline initiative in New Delhi can register for the same .

Visit the link below for more information

http://go.forumias.com/SFG2019

Important Dates :
Last Date for Registration : 20th November or first 500 students , whichever occurs first
Date of Commencement of SFG : December 3, 2018
Duration of the program : 5 Months

Comments

• The pattern would be same? And why a longer duration this time?
    इस पार प्रिय मधु है तुम हो,
    उस पार ना जाने क्या होगा ।।

Nearly the same, with some minor changes. Longer duration so that we can give a month long break around Feb or so for revision and again resume from March . 5 Days a week Test.

Plus we will add a few more sources this time.
  • Entrance Test will have both GS and CSAT. Candidates are requested to solve past years papers of both GS and CSAT for the entrance test.

Bummer,

@Mods @root can you help with this spam block that doesn't let post messages, now that rush time is over?

Screenshot 2018-10-23 15.44.46.png
    2030 x 580 - 107K
  • edited October 23
    I am 3rd year undergraduate and have decided for upsc 5 days ago , i want to take this test but i dont know the syllabus of SFG entrance and will this course be available in online mode ?

1 more question - can i prepare for this test in 1 month

please reply sir

Also , the idea is that if people are weak in CSAT or any subject, they should get the time to prepare it.
  • I am 3rd year undergraduate and have decided for upsc 5 days ago , i want to take this test but i dont know the syllabus of SFG entrance and will this course be available in online mode ?

1 more question - can i prepare for this test in 1 month

please reply sir

Please solve previous years papers, and keep reading the newspaper of October 25th to Nov 25th.

Apart from that no separate preparation will be required.

• ForumIAS said:

The pattern would be same? And why a longer duration this time?

Also , the idea is that if people are weak in CSAT or any subject, they should get the time to prepare it.
    Looks nice then. And thanks for bringing it again, although I hope I don't need to join it again :#
  • @ForumIAS will there be second batch too?
  • I cannot come to Delhi because of some family inconvenience. Is there online SFG program?
  • echan92 said:

I cannot come to Delhi because of some family inconvenience. Is there online SFG program?

no point of doing sfg online, people will cheat in online mode and get ranks..
  • echan92 said:

I cannot come to Delhi because of some family inconvenience. Is there online SFG program?

dude, you are not getting it, every month they eliminate bottom 20% of people from continuing in the program, competition is very tough in sfg..
    for benefit of all last year fees was 1100 for first 100 and 1800 for RLG..with popularity, i am sure they will double the price this year..
  • echan92 said:

The SFG is a near-free program. The charges are minimal for the program.

The program is not available in the Online mode. In SFG, there will be Top 100 Students who will be part of the Select Focus Group ( SFG ), another 300 or so will accomodated in a reserve list called the Reserve List Group ( RLG ) . Every day, you will be required to write tests at 7AM , and results will be declared the same day. You will get your rank.

Weekly, the List will be consolidated and people will be given a weekly ranking.

At the end of the month or so, the bottom 10% people , who are unable to perform, are required to leave the group and they are not further continued in the program, so candidates are expected to not be in bottom 10 at least. 10%tile is not a good number. Since questions come from standard books, you are expected to at least read the book.

Also, at the end of the month or a designated duration, you will be asked to renew your membership . The people who are not performing are below bottom 10 % will be required to write another test ( based on previous years papers ) if they want to continue, or leave.
  • @ForumIAS will there be second batch too?

If there will be any, it will be around Feb. If you have not cleared the Prelims before, we recommend joining this one.
  • echan92 said:

dude, you are not getting it, every month they eliminate bottom 20% of people from continuing in the program, competition is very tough in sfg..
    for benefit of all last year fees was 1100 for first 100 and 1800 for RLG..with popularity, i am sure they will double the price this year..
    Please do not speculate. You could be critical or praiseworthy, depending on your experience, which will be more helpful.
  • any chance it can be done in online mode?
  • Can the people who have done SFG last year please share their experience.
  • Tipuman said:

Can the people who have done SFG last year please share their experience.

I joined SFG last year. Its a total waste of time!!! it has no alignment with contemporary trend of UPSC prelims. The most disadvantage is that this program will force you to read only for prelims everyday, which is totally unwarranted as cracking UPSC requires integrated studies. the only allurement is the lesser cost, which is a blood marketing trap!!!

• Somebody plz post previous year sfg entrance paper ?
  • edited October 24
    Tipuman said:

See, if you are a first timer, it is good to join because it finishes off the syllabus for prelims entirely. But don't make it your only duty for the day (because of the competition and ranks). Study other things too, like optional & stuff.
    The main thing is that while preparing for mains, we tend to overlook prelims as the first hurdle and ignore it. But prelims is important for at least entering the process.

Everything has some shortcomings. But the aim is to use the initiative in the best possible manner. And I don't think giving a 1-hr test early in the morning will waste your day.

I had joined SFG last year.
  • Tipuman said:

My friend who has given mains this time (4th mains) said that he studied for some 20 days for prelims this year but this time prelims was integrated with mains preparation and since he has already given 3 mains, he was sure of cracking prelims
    Point is, focus on mains preparation and you will clear prelims easily :)
  • sss123 said:

Tipuman said:

My friend who has given mains this time (4th mains) said that he studied for some 20 days for prelims this year but this time prelims was integrated with mains preparation and since he has already given 3 mains, he was sure of cracking prelims
    Point is, focus on mains preparation and you will clear prelims easily :)
    And this advise was given to me by my friend, not my personal experience :)
  • Somebody plz post previous year sfg entrance paper ?

Last year, as far as I can recall the paper was largely Current Affairs based.

P.S. I was subscribed for SFG. I was always in Top 100 ranks except two weeks.
    Do not inbox meh |
  • A single suggestions plz do include all standard books like Ramesh Singh, ncert fine arts, ncert Macroeconomics Ncert ecology etc
    PS - will write later
  • Is sfg beneficial for 1st prelims attempt or weekly tests are best ?
  • edited October 24
    It's highly beneficial for lazy people. It will literally inject in you andrenaline injections .

I am indebted to sfg for clearing prelims. After multiple prelims failure , I could clear largely because of the work ethics installed in me by this initiative.

It's back breaking to be writing tests at 7am in winters, lots of sleep deprivation, forced studies, highly stressed and also competitive environment .

Quality of questions is not the main objective of the initiative but the rigors of daily study and also the value of revisions, you learn.

Lastly you will not be afraid of prelims and hence not make unforced errors in filling bubbles.

But please use that rigor you learn during the process to put to best use by your self. Ultimately be it any stage of exam, we are all we have . I left sfg during last stages as cost benefit analysis for me was not that attractive.
    *Your* tears! *Your* blood! Your *pathetic* lives forged into something of worth
  • It's highly beneficial for lazy people. It will literally inject in you andrenaline injections .

I am indebted to sfg for clearing prelims. After multiple prelims failure , I could clear largely because of the work ethics installed in me by this initiative.

It's back breaking to be writing tests at 7am in winters, lots of sleep deprivation, forced studies, highly stressed and also competitive environment .

Quality of questions is not the main objective of the initiative but the rigors of daily study and also the value of revisions, you learn.

Lastly you will not be afraid of prelims and hence not make unforced errors in filling bubbles.

But please use that rigor you learn during the process to put to best use by your self. Ultimately be it any stage of exam, we are all we have . I left sfg during last stages as cost benefit analysis for me was not that attractive.

Thanks for advice, will try to make into sfg.
  • Entrance will be of how much marks? and what will be the ratio of gs and csat in the paper?
  • Pros
    1) It will help lazy people especially repeaters those who loath reading the same stuff again and again (you will have daily targets)
    2) It is kind of system rather than the test series... The Sole aim of SFG was to inculcate discipline and your morning will start with writing the test thus it is made on the idea of efficient use of "Golden hour" which Ayush sir used to talk about.
    3) you will face intense competition thus you will have good peer group and you will be force to perform
    4) you can leave SFG at any time as you have to pay monthly fee
    5) You will mark more than 60 test on OMR sheet it will increase your confidence in exam hall.
    6) Best part is you can talk to Ayush sir he tries to give practical solution to your problem.

Cons
    1) you will not get the solution thus some time it will confused you...and it will irritate you..
    2)Test Discussion is not satisfactory
    3) you won't have time to do other things
    4) Nobody can make you clear the prelims... So do not join SFG hoping to clear it. Most of my friend who do well in all the test unable to clear it....
    Verdict :- It did helped me as I Was going by my own plan plus SFG daily target. I left it when I felt like, It is making thing complex for me.. It will definitely increase your momentum and level of competition is intense. My take join it, if you feel that it is not working for you than you have a chance to leave it but do not solely depend on this..

• edited October 25
    Hello,

@ForumIASOfficial please explain; what is the difference between SFG and prelims test series.

I have already purchased pre test series for 2019 at forumias.

Is SFG group have something different.?

Anybody would like to answer, please do it.
  • I want to join it
    But I haven't prepared much.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog