All India Open Prelims Simulator Test X
on 22nd May, 2019 CLICK HERE to know more and apply
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Bird watching and Journal writing as hobby. Any idea how to go about it?

My Hobbies are bird watching and Journal writing. How can I prepare on this from the interview point of view?

Any suggestions are welcome!
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

3rd attempt.

Comments

• Copy paste hobbies
    Prelims 2019: The time starts now !

https://chromeias.com/civil-services-prelims-focus-group-cs-pfg/

Entrance Exam on 28th Nov.
  • Copy paste hobbies

Sorry?
    Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

3rd attempt.
  • Copy paste hobbies

Sorry?
    once there was rank 2..some sikh guy..7-8 years ago...even he had his hobby as " birdwatching"..so i guessed it's a borrowed one
    Prelims 2019: The time starts now !

https://chromeias.com/civil-services-prelims-focus-group-cs-pfg/

Entrance Exam on 28th Nov.
  • Copy paste hobbies

Sorry?
    once there was rank 2..some sikh guy..7-8 years ago...even he had his hobby as " birdwatching"..so i guessed it's a borrowed one
    People can have same hobbies without borrowing.

3rd attempt.
  • You must search for that guy's transcript. I too remember reading it.
    One of the questions which I can recall asked about a personality from the independence movement who had the hobby of birdwatching.
    Ans probably was dadabhai naoroji.
    Pocketwa me se jab paisa girta h sab kahta h humra h humra h
    Lekin jab condomwa girta h sab kahta humra nahi humra nahi.
  • You must search for that guy's transcript. I too remember reading it.
    One of the questions which I can recall asked about a personality from the independence movement who had the hobby of birdwatching.
    Ans probably was dadabhai naoroji.

Alright. Thanks!

3rd attempt.
  • Birdwatching-

All about Orinthology
    Salim Ali
    Birds Sancturies
    Important Bird Areas
    Birdlife International
    Places you have visited
    What piqued your interest in this?
    Do we really have a national bird or should we?
    Weird Connections: like Sir A.O. Hume was an Orinthologist etc better to read wiki on India’s famous orinthologists
    Some unique features that you have come across birds
    region specific state birds etc
    Sparrow Decline - why what would you do?

Journal Writing:

Anne Frank diary
    what is difference between Journals and Diaries or notebook like The Prison Notebooks by Gramsci

@usainbolt2018 These things are just from top of my head.
    I am sure tons of questions can be framed.
    Just another pixel in the universe.
  • Birdwatching-

All about Orinthology
    Salim Ali
    Birds Sancturies
    Important Bird Areas
    Birdlife International
    Places you have visited
    What piqued your interest in this?
    Do we really have a national bird or should we?
    Weird Connections: like Sir A.O. Hume was an Orinthologist etc better to read wiki on India’s famous orinthologists
    Some unique features that you have come across birds
    region specific state birds etc
    Sparrow Decline - why what would you do?

Journal Writing:

Anne Frank diary
    what is difference between Journals and Diaries or notebook like The Prison Notebooks by Gramsci

@usainbolt2018 These things are just from top of my head.
    I am sure tons of questions can be framed.

Thanks a ton! This is very very helpful.

3rd attempt.
  • india's first birdwatcher was A.O Hume and the state bird of mizoram is named after his wife's name i.e mrs hume's pheasant.
    Indian Foreign Service Aspirant. History enthusiast. Quizzer. Traveller. Dramatics. Sports. Movies. Lawyer. In that order
    P - 1 , M - 0
  • india's first birdwatcher was A.O Hume and the state bird of mizoram is named after his wife's name i.e mrs hume's pheasant.

you have an impressive list of hobbies bro. how did you cultivate so many ? I dont have a single hobby due to this I had to copy hobbies from a friend and I am relying on him to help me for interview if by any stroke of luck I happen to clear mains(99% this wont happen, but a man can dream you know). leave it , just answer me one qsn (sorry for being too forthcoming )-- is It a sign of incapacity and lack of intelligence if one has no hobby, is it a crime to be disinterested in sports, music, movies blah blah. why do they stress so much on hobbies in interviews. I think it would be even bettr for administrative jobs if one has no hobbies as then an individual can focus single-mindedly on doing his job with sincerity rather than compromising on his work to write a book, or go on birdspotting trips
    initializing MIDI inputs and outputs ェ炎のーカ
  • To answer the first part of your question I had a lot of time i.e 5 years (BALLB) in college so yes experimented with lot of them.
    Now the second part. Not a crime at all and hobbies do not define intelligence, the advantage of having a hobby is that it inculcates a sense of discipline in you, increase your curiosity, improves both mental and physical strength. In interview what they are looking for is how are you justifying yourself i.e whether you are genuinely interested in the subject or if you don't know anything about it how well you can justify and take a stand. In administration having a hobby is always beneficial as the job is both physically and mentally exhausting. You can go to YouTube and randomly search about any present DM's lifestyle they all have a hobby or two. Yes I would say perception matters here what you say is according to your experience and what I say is according to my experience and guess what we both are right. It is only when you experience new things you tend to look on the other side and realise that there can be different ways of looking at life.
    Indian Foreign Service Aspirant. History enthusiast. Quizzer. Traveller. Dramatics. Sports. Movies. Lawyer. In that order
    P - 1 , M - 0
  • 'the motorcycle diaries' by che guevara. not sure whether it falls under journal writing or not
    An act of stealth, a silent coup d'état
  • To answer the first part of your question I had a lot of time i.e 5 years (BALLB) in college so yes experimented with lot of them.
    Now the second part. Not a crime at all and hobbies do not define intelligence, the advantage of having a hobby is that it inculcates a sense of discipline in you, increase your curiosity, improves both mental and physical strength. In interview what they are looking for is how are you justifying yourself i.e whether you are genuinely interested in the subject or if you don't know anything about it how well you can justify and take a stand. In administration having a hobby is always beneficial as the job is both physically and mentally exhausting. You can go to YouTube and randomly search about any present DM's lifestyle they all have a hobby or two. Yes I would say perception matters here what you say is according to your experience and what I say is according to my experience and guess what we both are right. It is only when you experience new things you tend to look on the other side and realise that there can be different ways of looking at life.

hmm you are right ,these jobs can be taxing both mentally and physically , even spiritually...certainly hobbies can provide a refuge from the monotonous work and help in rejuvenation so that one can maintain intensity consistently.
    initializing MIDI inputs and outputs ェ炎のーカ
  • Thanks everyone for inputs @ann @wizardcobra !

3rd attempt.
  • any suggestions for journal writing as a hobby?

3rd attempt.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google