All India Open Prelims Simulator Test X
on 22nd May, 2019 CLICK HERE to know more and apply
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Mains over.Interview preparation-Cse 2018 must commence. Battle over. War still underway.

edited October 2018 in Interview Preparation
Ladies and gentlemen!

Now that mains 2018 are over. Everyone must have, during the last week, taken to something (whether treks, vacation, movies) that would have helped them de-stress themselves.

We believe that it’s time that we should seriously get down to prepare for interview. Albeit everybody’s DAF is different from others in one way or the other. But there are few things that many of us would share in common. Be it then optional subjects, graduation majors, or the home state. And in some instances-our sports, interests and hobbies as well.

So once we start getting engaged in discussions on such topics, we’d feel like returning back to the preparation mode. At our homes or otherwise, Some of us are already getting a sense as if exam process is completely over. And at the same time, I think I need not reiterate how important interview is.

Mains marks at 890 and interview score of 165 has landed him at 83. While score of 890 and 193 has landed another at rank 20 in 2017.

There is a perception amongst many and the syllabus also says so..that interview is a test of personality and not knowledge. But after facing the board once, I have realised knowledge of DAF reflects ur personality and know how. Also what’s knowledge for you, might be a trait of personality for the board. So u never know.

But at the same time, if u have thoroughly worked upon elements in your summary sheet of DAF and prepared probable questions. Trust me interview runs on expected lines.

So ladies and gentlemen, let’s get down and get ready for the ultimate and final battle round.

Comments

• So let’s start with our interests. I write poems which was the sole hobby mentioned in my last interview.

One of the member had taken up questions pertaining to that which were:
    1. What do you write about?

2. (My home state is j&k) so did u write anything on the situation prevailing in Kashmir?

He was the last one before chairman again took over and asked me to narrate a short poem which I have written. I had not expected that they would ask me for the same. But fortunately in one of the mocks, I was asked the same. And so I could manage the things in final interview. Phew!

This time, I have added my other interests in DAF- first, playing guitar. Second, of writing columns in newspapers.

About guitars. In my previous interview, I was the second one in my group for that session. The gentlemen before me had then mentioned his passion for guitars. And I remember only a single question which he was asked.

1. What are the different types of guitars?

So ladies and gentlemen chip in with the probable questions on these topics and also share ur details on which people sharing commonality can ponder upon.
  • For the first timers, I d add that only the chairman possesses ur complete DAF form. The remaining 4 members have only the summary sheet with them.
  • Skore said:

For the first timers, I d add that only the chairman possesses ur complete DAF form. The remaining 4 members have only the summary sheet with them.

Thanks... But Summary sheet???
  • edited October 2018
    apart from knowledge part, what are the personality traits that they notice ?. Like the subtle things to take care of while interview is taking place. and approach of answering ?
  • Skore said:

For the first timers, I d add that only the chairman possesses ur complete DAF form. The remaining 4 members have only the summary sheet with them.

Thanks @Skore for starting this thread.
    P-4 | M-3* | I-0
  • tss said:

Skore said:

If you are asking what the summary sheet comprises of, its the very last section in one's DAF. U can check
  • Skore said:

Nope.. chairman and also the members has complete DAF. Even I thought so that only chairman has it. But during my interview I saw the members having it too.. they were marking something in pencil..
    CSE 2017- P,M,I
    CSE 2018- P,M,I*
  • tss said:

Skore said:

It is the 9th and 10th page in your DAF.
    diplomato said:

Skore said:

Nope.. chairman and also the members has complete DAF. Even I thought so that only chairman has it. But during my interview I saw the members having it too.. they were marking something in pencil..
    Now I won’t argue over this trivial matter. But I was told so,as I said, in my mocks by former panel members. Then the chairman of JKPSC who later went on to become a panel member in Upsc had also mentioned about it. And in the final interview, I had seen it very clearly what I have mentioned.

If they were marking anything with pencil, it must and must have been on the summary sheet.

Then I d say that other than summary sheet, only ur parents’ profession and income, no. of attempts and choice of services and cadre preference( which is now not included) is something additional in rest of ur DAF.
  • Skore said:

Thanks @Skore for starting this thread.
    Sir, it is for the benefit of all of us. We need to start early to finish the things on time and enter the board room with greater confidence backed by competence.
  • darshan said:

apart from knowledge part, what are the personality traits that they notice ?. Like the subtle things to take care of while interview is taking place. and approach of answering ?

1. While u enter, don’t seek their permission to come in bcoz that’s what u r there for(instructed to me by chairman of jkpsc).
    2. Greet everyone ( female members separately bcoz u d say “good morning/afternoon sirs and then obviously).
    3. Stand beside the chair until asked by the chairman to sit.
    4. If u have a habit of Shaking legs, start working on it to stop doing it under nervous situations.
    5. Try to not move ur hands but even then if u do, only subtle movements would be appreciated.
    6. U d not follow intro-body-conclusion approach. Answer only what’s asked and come straight to the point.
    7. While answering, keep looking at the member who had asked the question(some would say to move ur head and look at each and every member but I m again repeating what chairman of jkpsc has said that moving ur head is like not paying due attention and not giving due importance to one who has asked the question).
    8. Then though every other current affair topic pertaining to your DAF may be asked. But if it is in general, then very very latest issue( I was asked about lone wolf attack in Manchester and Romeo squads in UP-both were in news since last 2-3 days prior to my interview) and those which are not leaving news headlines(#me too) may be asked. Other members may give their views on the same.
    9. Only when u r thoroughly prepared about ur DAF , there is a high probability that ur ‘clarity of thoughts’ would be seen.
    10. It’s ok to be a little nervous ( the group member whose interview was scheduled before mine and since he was the first,was asked first question as to whether u r nervous. He replied- yes, a little. The chairman then exclaimed- it’s perfectly alright to be nervous and further added that sometimes nervousness brings out the best in us).
    11. One thing completely different from mocks and our general perception. In mocks, We would be interjected even from the very first question and almost all the members in mocks do the same.
    But in actual interview, almost all the members would ask question and give u all the time in the world to answer. They would not interject unless u have answered whatever u wanted to say and would move to the next question once u stop speaking. Rarely maybe the last member will interject if s/he feels like. Bcoz until that stage, u d have become very comfortable. And remember they r so great people who d try to make u comfortable in all circumstances,atleast to start with. And stress interviews are something that I have heard of in the rumours but never found somebody who himself faced one such interview. Other members of the forum might shower their wisdom here.

I d keep posting whatever useful I might remember about the interviews. And others are also requested to do the same.
  • Skore said:

darshan said:

1. While u enter, don’t seek their permission to come in bcoz that’s what u r there for(instructed to me by chairman of jkpsc).
    2. Greet everyone ( female members separately bcoz u d say “good morning/afternoon sirs and then obviously).
    3. Stand beside the chair until asked by the chairman to sit.
    4. If u have a habit of Shaking legs, start working on it to stop doing it under nervous situations.
    5. Try to not move ur hands but even then if u do, only subtle movements would be appreciated.
    6. U d not follow intro-body-conclusion approach. Answer only what’s asked and come straight to the point.
    7. While answering, keep looking at the member who had asked the question(some would say to move ur head and look at each and every member but I m again repeating what chairman of jkpsc has said that moving ur head is like not paying due attention and not giving due importance to one who has asked the question).
    8. Then though every other current affair topic pertaining to your DAF may be asked. But if it is in general, then very very latest issue( I was asked about lone wolf attack in Manchester and Romeo squads in UP-both were in news since last 2-3 days prior to my interview) and those which are not leaving news headlines(#me too) may be asked. Other members may give their views on the same.
    9. Only when u r thoroughly prepared about ur DAF , there is a high probability that ur ‘clarity of thoughts’ would be seen.
    10. It’s ok to be a little nervous ( the group member whose interview was scheduled before mine and since he was the first,was asked first question as to whether u r nervous. He replied- yes, a little. The chairman then exclaimed- it’s perfectly alright to be nervous and further added that sometimes nervousness brings out the best in us).
    11. One thing completely different from mocks and our general perception. In mocks, We would be interjected even from the very first question and almost all the members in mocks do the same.
    But in actual interview, almost all the members would ask question and give u all the time in the world to answer. They would not interject unless u have answered whatever u wanted to say and would move to the next question once u stop speaking. Rarely maybe the last member will interject if s/he feels like. Bcoz until that stage, u d have become very comfortable. And remember they r so great people who d try to make u comfortable in all circumstances,atleast to start with. And stress interviews are something that I have heard of in the rumours but never found somebody who himself faced one such interview. Other members of the forum might shower their wisdom here.

I d keep posting whatever useful I might remember about the interviews. And others are also requested to do the same.
    Thanks sir. I heard that we need to be having near smiling face throughout the interview. Otherwise, it would be seen as lack of confidence and less marks. Is this correct?
    P-4 | M-3* | I-0
  • edited October 2018
    While listening to their question, keep nodding ur head. I was also told to keep a smiling face. But I realised this in actual interview, that faking a smile looks naive. And so I tried to keep a serious look as if I m paying serious attention to their question and kept nodding.
    Everyone has his/her comfort zone. Try to look for urs.
  • These are some of the tips that Bilal(rank 10, cse 2016) had suggested.

BA3010E2-DB2E-42BB-AA09-4282BA4715C8.png
    750 x 1334 - 277K
    13029818-9017-4339-BD94-32961DF521A9.png
    750 x 1334 - 290K
    4F615418-9C86-4FC7-AC93-16B8763ED2E6.png
    750 x 1334 - 301K
  • Skore said:

While listening to their question, keep nodding ur head. I was also told to keep a smiling face. But I realised this in actual interview, that faking a smile looks naive. And so I tried to keep a serious look as if I m paying serious attention to their question and kept nodding.
    Everyone has his/her comfort zone. Try to look for urs.

May I know your score in PT last time?
    P-4 | M-3* | I-0
  • edited October 2018
    Sure bro! But what I m suggesting here is based on my experience and where I had gone wrong last tym. In fact I could not answer most of the basic questions from my DAF. And hence I have been wanting to start early for preparing questions on my DAF.
    My score was 157 in A S Bhonsle board.
  • Does anyone have engineering service( mechanical) interview transcript?
  • I am not too sure whether I should expect an interview call, but I would still leave this comment here.

I am a shit Chemical engineer, with a MA in Pol Sci ( IR spec). Should I go back to basics of Chemical, which I absolutely suck at in the first place. Is there any source/ specific interview booklet for engineering subjects by any of the institutes?

Or can I safely skip Chemical rattabazi and rationally expect them to stick to my masters and daf etc?
  • Skore said:

Sure bro! But what I m suggesting here is based on my experience and where I had gone wrong last tym. In fact I could not answer most of the basic questions from my DAF. And hence I have been wanting to start early for preparing questions on my DAF.
    My score was 157.

Seems like we can not afford to take light of PT. We need to start asap.. Thanks bro.
    P-4 | M-3* | I-0
  • edited October 2018

I am not too sure whether I should expect an interview call, but I would still leave this comment here.

I am a shit Chemical engineer, with a MA in Pol Sci ( IR spec). Should I go back to basics of Chemical, which I absolutely suck at in the first place. Is there any source/ specific interview booklet for engineering subjects by any of the institutes?

Or can I safely skip Chemical rattabazi and rationally expect them to stick to my masters and daf etc?

Hardly one or two questions would be asked from engineering. We cannot be too sure but focusing on the last graduation would help especially if pol SC had been ur optional.

And even while preparing for engineering. Imagine what a generalist or a common man can think about if he imagines the field of chemical engineering. Don’t focus too much on technical details.

In all of my mocks, (I m a civil engineer) questions like longest bridge, latest major constructions in India and basic definitions like what is a gravity dam were asked. Even in the final interview, one question on what pre- fabricated structures are and where would u use fast setting cement, were asked.

So I believe dams, bridges, cement, steel are the basic ingredients in civil engineering. And they asked very basic questions as u can see.
  • Skore said:

I am not too sure whether I should expect an interview call, but I would still leave this comment here.

Hardly one or two questions would be asked from engineering. We cannot be too sure but focusing on the last graduation would help especially if pol SC had been ur optional.

And even while preparing for engineering. Imagine what a generalist or a common man can think about if he imagines the field of chemical engineering. Don’t focus too much on technical details.

In all of my mocks, (I m a civil engineer) questions like longest bridge, latest major constructions in India and basic definitions like what is a gravity dam were asked. Even in the final interview, one question on what pre- fabricated structures are and where would u use fast setting cement, were asked.

So I believe dams, bridges, cement, steel are the basic ingredients in civil engineering. And they asked very basic questions as u can see.
    Hey, thanks for the detailed reply man. I was mainly worried cause I don't know any chemical engineers who can relate from their experience, but from yours I guess we can hope them to be not too specific in these core subjects.

I guess I will also just brush up broadly on energy sector and petro tech at max, hopefully they won't push beyond this.

Thanks again for this thread, will be of much good use :)
  • Exactly bro. And from a generalist viewpoint I can think of laws of thermodynamics, petroleum bcoz of shooting prices and refining process and what u could do to make it affordable for India. Also important petroleum mining sites in India and its various types like Shale gas is in rage these days.
  • Thanks for raising that @DonQuixote .

I am an awful electronics and instrumentation grad and been worried about the same.
    2017,2018 : P+M.
    Anthropology
  • Skore said:

Hey, thanks for the detailed reply man. I was mainly worried cause I don't know any chemical engineers who can relate from their experience, but from yours I guess we can hope them to be not too specific in these core subjects.

I guess I will also just brush up broadly on energy sector and petro tech at max, hopefully they won't push beyond this.

Thanks again for this thread, will be of much good use :)
    Bhai chemical ki taiyaari thoda saath me kar lenge. Interview call ki surety to nahi hai. But still thoda prepared rehte hai.
    2018 - Pre, Mains
    History optional
  • Anyone with law optional? How can we prepare for interview?
    Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

3rd attempt.
  • I have written Mahabharata as my subject interest in DAF..anyone with interest in mythology??
  • tss said:

I have written Mahabharata as my subject interest in DAF..anyone with interest in mythology??

Yep
    Out again. But ab adat ho gayi hai :)
  • tss said:

I have written Mahabharata as my subject interest in DAF..anyone with interest in mythology??

Yep
    mahabharata i need to start from scratch..lost almost everything..any gud source or book??
  • there's a book 'civil services interview - how to excel' by madhukar kumar bhagat (irs). it has everything that one requires for interview prep. a small thin book. order it if you have time
    An act of stealth, a silent coup d'état
  • ann said:

there's a book 'civil services interview - how to excel' by madhukar kumar bhagat (irs). it has everything that one requires for interview prep. a small thin book. order it if you have time

@ann If you have read it. Tell us if it is really worth the time. Bcoz there are plenty of books otherwise in the market for interviews.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google