BBB tags 75 senior officers for leadership roles in PSBs SC to hear petition to end write-offs Chemists and druggists are passe;from now, all will be pharmacies As UK climate protest grows, Emma Thompson, teen joins in India warns IMF against fresh bailout for Pakistan

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

What’s common in people failing mains multiple times?

Consider this thread not just to understand the common flaws but also as learning for new entrants in this process.I have seen and met people; they always or easily clear prelims but miss the mains cutoff every time.
This will help us narrowing down our weaknesses so please contribute in a healthy manner. Thanks!
P - 3 | M - 3 | I-Never

Comments

• My point : badluck.

It is not that they do not study or not properly...

They do. But badluck kills the possibilities.

Baaki ki chize log bataa sakte hai
    In times of universal deceit,telling the truth is a revolutionary act!
  • Writing skills ( ability to respond quickly with various dimensions for a particular question)

Luck plays its role only in interviews!!
    (Almost negligible luck is required for prelims+mains)
    :)
  • Vagarant said:

Writing skills ( ability to respond quickly with various dimensions for a particular question)

Quite correct
  • Vagarant said:

Writing skills ( ability to respond quickly with various dimensions for a particular question)

+1
  • Vagarant said:

I would not comment on Mains but as you have mentioned about prelims; I would say this stage is getting highly luck based by each year. If that is not true how can people already in services or people who are reaching interviews stage/writing mains multiples times are also not able to clear it in recent pasts.

Mains may be less luck based than prelims but not entirely without luck.
    P - 3 | M - 3 | I-Never
  • Alright said:

Vagarant said:

I would not comment on Mains but as you have mentioned about prelims; I would say this stage is getting highly luck based by each year. If that is not true how can people already in services or people who are reaching interviews stage/writing mains multiples times are also not able to clear it in recent pasts.

To add,my intention for this thread was not about debating "luck" as weakness or strength. I agree about your argument on writing skill.
    P - 3 | M - 3 | I-Never
  • One or more of the following traits
    1. Weak in optional
    2. Poor management of syllabus
    3. Fail to understand the demand of questions in GS
    4. Go deeper into any topic than required and do not read other topics well( most important)
    5. Loosing interest gradually
    तू नज़्म नज़्म सा मेरे होंठो पे ठहर जा...
  • Rigid answer writing
    More emphasis only on few aspects in gs answers
    And as ( @Khabba Ka abba OOO sorry it should be :trollface: ) @Khabba_again mentioned.. #weak in optionals
  • Bad luck and timing........warna sab kuch karne ke baad bhi log repeated failures dekhte hai
  • Alright said:

Vagarant said:

Idk anyone who revised all the syllabus of pre proper and finished insight, vision test series - and scored 120+ in full syllabus tests and still didn't make it.
  • Alright said:

Vagarant said:

Idk anyone who revised all the syllabus of pre proper and finished insight, vision test series - and scored 120+ in full syllabus tests and still didn't make it.
    But I know selected guys who were not able to make it in prelims this time
  • edited October 2018
    sss123 said:

Alright said:

Vagarant said:

Yes. And selected guys didn't do those things and were lax. I know people who score 140+ in prelims who failed this year cause they took it too lightly
  • sss123 said:

Alright said:

Vagarant said:

Yes. And selected guys didn't do those things and were lax. I know people who score 140+ in prelims who failed this year cause they took it too lightly
    Maybe
  • sss123 said:

sss123 said:

Alright said:

Vagarant said:

Maybe
    Yahi baat kuch mahine pahle aapko samjhane ki koshish ki thi maine. Thankfully aapne aaj samjha.

People already in service is no guarantee to score good in prelims every year. Toppers like ira and Tina barely made it to mains. Anyone who is scoring good enough in two test series, has revised everything well, will make it to mains. ( Never 100% guarantee though).
  • Vagarant said:

I disagree...luck is important.factor at every stage in this exam...when upsc came to butcher public admin few yrs back...I have seen ppl getting 300+..come down to 130 in total ...and it's not a standalone case...
  • My analysis and end word: Low emphasis on revision. I was seeing a Ted talk where the speaker spoke about creativity. The human mind is always interested to explore and delve into new things. This is the reason why many aspirants read current affairs more sincerely with passing attempts. The core static part remains as a safe place in the mind which isn't revisited. Consequently the quality of static part gets diluted.

So in my opinion, we need to get over this aspect of the mind. More than "knowing" (which is the main function of the left brain), the focus should be on "expertise" with repeated revisions.
  • sss123 said:

sss123 said:

Alright said:

Vagarant said:

Maybe
    Yahi baat kuch mahine pahle aapko samjhane ki koshish ki thi maine. Thankfully aapne aaj samjha.

People already in service is no guarantee to score good in prelims every year. Toppers like ira and Tina barely made it to mains. Anyone who is scoring good enough in two test series, has revised everything well, will make it to mains. ( Never 100% guarantee though).
    woh baat toh theek hai ki, mains de diya......interview de diya
    but what matters is final selection aur main ussi mein believe karta hun
  • sss123 said:

sss123 said:

sss123 said:

Alright said:

Vagarant said:

Maybe

woh baat toh theek hai ki, mains de diya......interview de diya
    but what matters is final selection aur main ussi mein believe karta hun
    aur bhai jinn 2 logon ka aapne naam liya hai unka exact cut off par prelims clear hua hai.........yeh bhi toh luck hai
    agar 1 mark bhi kam hota toh woh shayad mains hi nhi de paati leave apart topping this exam
  • Another thing I've noticed is people take their prep to ego. They are not ready to change. I used to get my answers checked by a selected friend and he used to avoid telling me bluntly what's wrong. He told me it was because one of our friends got angry because "the selected guy" didn't praise his answer.
    Ego meri bhi hurt Hoti hai thorhi. But uss ego Ko pi jao and be ready to change your strategy

• Single paper in Prelims has made it a pure lottery...No doubt about it...At least 30-40,000 people are equally capable of clearing Prelims...Who clears that day, boils down to luck...However, we are deviating from the topic of this thread I guess...

• Alright said:

Vagarant said:

If you change 120 to 110 I will fall into this criteria. Although I do not believe in luck..khud me hi kuchh Kamiya rahi hongi.
    है अँधेरी रात पर दीपक जलाना कब मना है
  • No matter what we argue about something, these are some axioms:
    1. Luck matters but luck can be increased through hard work. But, Hard work ALONE is NOT enough. Its 80/20 - hard work/luck
    2. Answer writing practise.
    3. Naturally creative in answer presentation - flowcharts, tables, maps, figures etc
    4. Time management in exam.
    5. Not completing syllabus.
    6. UPSC treatment of respective optionals.

Overall: Luck and God plays enough role. 'Enough' enough to decide a soul's fate.
    P-4 | M-3* | I-0
  • Alright said:

Vagarant said:

If you change 120 to 110 I will fall into this criteria. Although I do not believe in luck..khud me hi kuchh Kamiya rahi hongi.
    Na na...Aisa kuch nhi hai...Don't ever doubt yourself bhai...I missed last year Prelims by 3 marks...Gave this year Mains...So I can understand your pain...Until they increase the number of questions to 150 or do some other changes, Prelims is a pure lottery between 30-40,000 people...Sad but true...Although I do agree partially with @Pokertilt101 bhai...Those are the basic prerequisite which needs to be done...But after that, Luck comes into picture...But again, we are deviating from the topic of this thread

1. Luck matters but luck can be increased through hard work. But, Hard work ALONE is NOT enough. Its 80/20 - hard work/luck
    3. Naturally creative in answer presentation - flowcharts, tables, maps, figures etc

Overall: Luck and God plays enough role. 'Enough' enough to decide a soul's fate.

2,3 are myths.

Read syllabus what they want in answers.
    तू नज़्म नज़्म सा मेरे होंठो पे ठहर जा...

2,3 are myths.

2 and 3 are very relevant sir , writing practice is must... i mean that it helps in developing the "thinking while writing without taking a pause " skill. this becomes crucial if one has to attempt all the qns , similarly diagrams help save time while adding some variety in your answer and breaking the monotony of text .
    initializing MIDI inputs and outputs ェ炎のーカ

2,3 are myths.

2 and 3 are very relevant sir , writing practice is must... i mean that it helps in developing the "thinking while writing without taking a pause " skill. this becomes crucial if one has to attempt all the qns , similarly diagrams help save time while adding some variety in your answer and breaking the monotony of text .
    I think 3 is irrelevant. Gaurav Aggarwal etc never used any diagram. But sure there are multiple ways to clear this exam. And 3 is useful as well.
  • edited October 2018
    Vagarant said:

If so, why luck in interview then? if u answer all what isasked, why won't u get? if u maintain positive attitude thru out interview and change negative things in interview, then why luck in interview????

I my view, right from prelims every thing is need favourable conditions for u. Every body puts in hard work and most have decent knowledge. It's just few marks that decide. I have seeen in my experience some idiots clearing the exam with top ranks and really genuine and knowledgeable are thrown out. This is only exam where there is no relation between 1 attempt and other. If u get a rank, it is quite possible that u are thrown out in pre stage itself....

In my experience, u need to do ur duty and have all ur stars aligned in a single line for u to get a good rank. I seriosuly regret my decision of trying for upsc. I am now in last attmpt. Being from a top college, instead of tryinng this stupid exam, i shud have started my own flipkart
  • There is no fairness in fact. 1 optional will be butchered and other will have easy paper. How can u compare apple with orges? THen talk about scaling for equalising apples and oranges ...How scaling goes inside, no one knws.?How marks are awarded in mains no one knws .... Why can not upsc emulate GMAC essay exam in GMAT/GRE? Qns are of high standard. When we write high, idiots do not understand them. U just get average marks and F** up
  • edited October 2018
    1. This exam needs consistent effort for at least 360 days. The number of hours don't matter, but the effort does. If one isn't putting an effort for at least 360 days prior to mains, one tends to lessen his chances is what i feel in my humble opinion.
    2. Over-preparing for GS, For GS you just need to be well read and should have a clear understanding about every topic in the syllabus with just enough content that can pushed in any kind of question. The approach should be smart and flexible. Getting deep into the answers will spoil your answer quality. With too much knowledge, one tends to over analyze and fails to answer it succinctly in 200 words.
    3. Answer structuring is something people take many attempts to learn. Paragraph is=n every question is tough to manage. One should adapt to using flowcharts and pointwise explanation where ever possible because you can finish such a question in 4 to 5 minutes and save time.
    4. Under preparation in optional. Those who are average at GS and are kings/queens in their optional invariably make it to the list. Those who are really good at GS and are average in optional invariably end up writing multiple mains till they get a good grip over it and finally make an exit to this cycle. Optional demands a lot of preparation. No optional is easy, it demands due diligence and pays you back with compound interest.
    5. Ability to handle stress during the exam week. Fingers go numb, bones start to ache, mind goes crazy. It's a test of patience and perseverance to keep your performance above average in all the papers. One just cannot relax in any paper.

The single biggest factor for failing in mains is without any dispute - Underpreparation.

PS, opinions are personal and i may be wrong.

2,3 are myths.

I think 3 is irrelevant. Gaurav Aggarwal etc never used any diagram. But sure there are multiple ways to clear this exam. And 3 is useful as well.
    People like GA are soooooooooo good with words that they can convey 300 words in 90-100 words. Isiliye they wouldn't use flowcharts etc is what i feel. People like me who struggle to convey my thoughts clearly have to rely upon flowcharts to make it easy for the examiner. :sweat_smile:
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google