How was the Law optional in Mains 2018?

Hi, this was my third attempt with Law optional. I found the papers to be lengthy and questions tough. What does everybody else think?
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

3rd attempt.

Comments

• The papers were lengthy and some questions very generic, particularly in paper 2.
  • I found paper 1 particularly analytical. Most questions asked for either your suggestion or your interpretation. Lesser questions that required mere reproduction of articles and cases.

WRT paper 2, I thought a similar trend continued. For the first time in last 3 years I encountered fact situation based question. Some loosely worded questions like question 8 (c) put me in doubt too.

What are your thoughts?
  • edited October 11
    lenghty papers..difficult to score this time
    If 50 percent of your career is not filled with failure, you're not really successful.
  • I found paper 1 particularly analytical. Most questions asked for either your suggestion or your interpretation. Lesser questions that required mere reproduction of articles and cases.

WRT paper 2, I thought a similar trend continued. For the first time in last 3 years I encountered fact situation based question. Some loosely worded questions like question 8 (c) put me in doubt too.

What are your thoughts?

yes I agree. Both the papers required a deep understanding of the subject and unfortunately after studying law for nearly a decade (5 years of Law school and 4 years of CSE preparation) I wasn't comfortable with the questions.

In paper 2 i felt that i didn't have enough content to write in 20-15 markers.

In paper 1 the questions were very broad and open to interpretation.
    Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

3rd attempt.
  • crazylazy said:

lenghty papers..difficult to score this time

I think so too. I hope Law doesn't prove to be our undoing again. I might change my optional next time.

3rd attempt.
  • any thoughts on changing the optional?

3rd attempt.
  • hi , please guide

which is the correct way to cite the case in answers in optional i mean
    is it important to mention cases in answer in law optional with full citation i.e Erusian Equipment and Chemicals Ltd. v. State of West Bengal, AIR 1975 SC 266 : (1975) 1 SCC 70. or just specifying the name will suffice like Erusian Equipment and Chemicals Ltd. v. State of West Bengal.
    thanks in advance
  • hi , please guide

is it important to mention cases in answer in law optional with full citation i.e Erusian Equipment and Chemicals Ltd. v. State of West Bengal, AIR 1975 SC 266 : (1975) 1 SCC 70. or just specifying the name will suffice like Erusian Equipment and Chemicals Ltd. v. State of West Bengal.
    thanks in advance

Just specifying the name will suffice. If it is a landmark judgment, then name of even one party is sufficient. Ex. "In the case of Maneka Gandhi."

3rd attempt.
  • There is such a dearth of discussion on law optional. Hope this thread stays relevant.
    Could anyone please upload the papers(2018 mains) ?
  • edited October 12

There is such a dearth of discussion on law optional. Hope this thread stays relevant.

http://go.forumias.com/questions2018
    http://www.upsc.gov.in/examinations/previous-question-papers

follow these links

3rd attempt.
  • hi , please guide

thanks in advance

Just specifying the name will suffice. If it is a landmark judgment, then name of even one party is sufficient. Ex. "In the case of Maneka Gandhi."
  • There is such a dearth of discussion on law optional. Hope this thread stays relevant.

http://go.forumias.com/questions2018
    http://www.upsc.gov.in/examinations/previous-question-papers

follow these links
    Thank you :)
  • Anyone here employed with a PSU in a legal capacity while preparing?
  • What can we do to prepare for interview?

3rd attempt.
  • Could you please solve this by evening?
    IMG_20181016_144428.jpg
    764 x 962 - 254K
  • Could you please solve this by evening?

we live in a society
    initializing MIDI inputs and outputs ェ炎のーカ
  • Hi all!
    Looking for Group Study partners at my Residence in Defence Colony, New Delhi for Civil Services 2019
    Subjects: GS and Law (Optional)
    Single room with attached washroom and study table exclusively available with food, etc. during day time study!
    Kindly message, if interested. (Should have appeared for Civil Services exam at least once)
    Thanks!
  • Hey,
    What are you all upto !?
    Started interview prep ?
    Troughs and crests. Life.
  • Hey,
    What are you all upto !?
    Started interview prep ?

Hey! Not yet man. But I think we should start now. Any suggestions how to go about preparing for law?

3rd attempt.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog