MITRA'S IAS - PHILOSOPHY   FRESH BATCH BEGINS WITH FREE SEMINAR:5TH JAN'19 @ 11 AM
MITRASIAS: 39 PUSA ROAD SAMAYAK TOWER OPP. METRO PILLAR 120
Further Details Please Call us: 01145505509

How was the Political Scinece Mains paper? Paper Discussion

edited October 20 in Political Science
How did you people found the paper?

There were no bouncers but giving paper 2 an optional touch was difficult for me.

Comments

• i feel there were plenty of bouncers, like PESA in 20 marks, lateral entry, Macpherson democracy in 15 marks, role of ICHR, many more,

Certainly it was not a easy paper.
  • paper 1 was mostly easy but writing relevant material in PESA, criticising MacPherson was difficult. In paper 2 North Korea ques was tricky and we had to give criticism of functionalism as well. If you had attempted 8th ques then it's ok but attempting 6th and 7th ques was very difficult in ppr 2.
    Attempt # 4 | 1st attempt with PSIR optional | Previous attempts with statistics optional | RBI Grade B Officer
  • I opted for pesa wala que.. only to realise that i dnt have more than 3-4 points...then i just filled pages..that awareness abt pesa is needed. .xaxa recommendations...,
  • I opted for pesa wala que.. only to realise that i dnt have more than 3-4 points...then i just filled pages..that awareness abt pesa is needed. .xaxa recommendations...,

I mentioned samatha judgement but not xaxa committee report... in the end compared it with VI scheduled areas and advocated for better audits, more autonomy etc
    Attempt # 4 | 1st attempt with PSIR optional | Previous attempts with statistics optional | RBI Grade B Officer
  • Selecting questions from paper 2 was really tricky. I gave 2016 and 2017 but never faced such constraint before. Paper 1, IGP section all sections 6,7,8 were having at least one question where I was having less content. Paper 2 i attempted 8th question from part B but again India-china trade/climate you may have to write general stuff.I had to attempt Trump-Kim and was short of good pointers. I am not sure but I feel it would not be easy to score like previous years.
    P - 3 | M - 3* | I -0

I mentioned samatha judgement but not xaxa committee report... in the end compared it with VI scheduled areas and advocated for better audits, more autonomy etc
    What is samatha judgement......also i think..the recent posco controversy..was why this que was asked...
  • Alright said:

Selecting questions from paper 2 was really tricky. I gave 2016 and 2017 but never faced such constraint before. Paper 1, IGP section all sections 6,7,8 were having at least one question where I was having less content. Paper 2 i attempted 8th question from part B but again India-china trade/climate you may have to write general stuff.I had to attempt Trump-Kim and was short of good pointers. I am not sure but I feel it would not be easy to score like previous years.

True...
  • edited October 10

I opted for pesa wala que.. only to realise that i dnt have more than 3-4 points...then i just filled pages..that awareness abt pesa is needed. .xaxa recommendations...,

What is samatha judgement......also i think..the recent posco controversy..was why this que was asked...

I opted for pesa wala que.. only to realise that i dnt have more than 3-4 points...then i just filled pages..that awareness abt pesa is needed. .xaxa recommendations...,

I had read about Samatha from this link - https://www.frontline.in/static/html/fl2119/stories/20040924006001200.htm
  • what did u ppl write in the 10 marker - India's strategic culture?
  • I wrote about mandala siddhanta and NAM..Though also wrote palestine and shimla agreement to highlight not that much used at times.
    What about the trump and Xi's dream wala question..what points you people wrote In that

Due to lack of time.. couldn't write much..but kautilyan influence...stefen p cohen analysis on kautilyan shade on nda foreign policy....strategic significance of indian ocean...central asian mentioned in our ancient text..for ex..india mentioned as land abive the seas...
  • wayfinder said:

I wrote about mandala siddhanta and NAM..Though also wrote palestine and shimla agreement to highlight not that much used at times.
    What about the trump and Xi's dream wala question..what points you people wrote In that

Shubhra mam..did this que in her crash course...mention of thucidydes trap...chinese made in 2035 china dream... both geopolitical and geo economic impact...ex...threat to open and balanced trade....wto director statement..when two elephants fighte its the grass wretched of the earth which gets affected...views of henry Kissinger..who see..present conflict in asia pacific as similar to arms race during world war 1...

Wrote about:
    1. George Tanham Indians are not great strategic thinkers.
    2. Fareed Zakharia, Having strategic culture is essential for proactive foreign policy.
    3. Ritika Passi, Not having great startegic thought and culture can be itself a grand strategy for it provides flexibility.

Then wrote Indians do have strategic culture.
    1. NAM punching above its weight.
    2. Strategic Autonomy.
    3. Comprehesnsive Framework for India as a maritime power.
    4. NAM 2.0
    5. Project Mausam and Project Maritime Silk road. ICCR and ITEC role.
    6. CBDR and climate negotiations. WTO etc

I couldn't remember it what I had written then. Can add a few points more.
    P-4 | M-3* | I-0

Wrote about:
    2. Fareed Zakharia, Having strategic culture is essential for proactive foreign policy.
    3. Ritika Passi, Not having great startegic thought and culture can be itself a grand strategy for it provides flexibility.

2. Strategic Autonomy.
    4. NAM 2.0

by 'culture' I assumed that ques is asking about our historical past so I wrote about Chola expansions in SEA & SL, Ashoka sending son & daughter as Buddhist emissaries to SL, Iltutmish & Balban resisting Mongols, extent of empire from Iran to Myanmar apart from Tanham & Kautilya.

Wrote about:

2. Strategic Autonomy.
    4. NAM 2.0

by 'culture' I assumed that ques is asking about our historical past so I wrote about Chola expansions in SEA & SL, Ashoka sending son & daughter as Buddhist emissaries to SL, Iltutmish & Balban resisting Mongols, extent of empire from Iran to Myanmar apart from Tanham & Kautilya.
    God knows of the examiners interpretation of the question!
    P-4 | M-3* | I-0
  • I always attempted 3 question form secion B in both papers but this time had to attempt 3 from sec A in both papers..Not enough content in section B as question were very generic and not core PSIR.

Wrote about:

2. Strategic Autonomy.
    4. NAM 2.0

I also went in history Kautilya, Buddhist, Ashokan, Allauddin Khilji, Akbar etc... Now looking at comments here I don't know I was right or other peoples...
    I knew that, the moment the great governing spirit strikes the blow to divide all humanity into just two opposing factions, I would be on the side of the common people.
  • Culture can include both past and present... explaining only either of them..can lead to an incomplete answer...
  • Culture can include both past and present... explaining only either of them..can lead to an incomplete answer...

There is a reason why India post independence is not counted in culture :#
  • In PESA i wrote about deliberate democracy Habermas public sphere,communicative action ; Amartya sen Democracy is good society in function + nancy fracer and Jacques ranquire regarding involvement of subaltern (women,tribal )via participate democracy..Theory ko ek ek provision k sath add karte gaya..As kuch jada yad nahi tha..

Wrote about:

2. Strategic Autonomy.
    4. NAM 2.0

Wrote on similar line add shyam saran India view herself as jambudivpa..+ comparison with China's middle kingdom.
  • God knows kaisa jayega PSIR ka perfomarnce this year :/ Hope we get good marks!
    P - 3 | M - 3* | I -0
  • edited October 10
    I am new to psir...does anyone know answes to questions like itec, ris in south south,un resolution 1325 etc or these questions are meant to be left.. And from where do you read terms like strategic culture
    You wouldn't like me when i'm angry Because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources. |Philosophy|
  • thehulk said:

I am new to psir...does anyone know answes to questions like itec, ris in south south,un resolution 1325 etc or these questions are meant to be left.. And from where do you read terms like strategic culture

You can start by going through some solved mock tests by Shubhra Mam where you will get to see such/similar questions. Basically you will understand how to approach and then depending on your current affairs knowledge you can articulate your answers well.
    P - 3 | M - 3* | I -0
  • In PESA i wrote about deliberate democracy Habermas public sphere,communicative action ; Amartya sen Democracy is good society in function + nancy fracer and Jacques ranquire regarding involvement of subaltern (women,tribal )via participate democracy..Theory ko ek ek provision k sath add karte gaya..As kuch jada yad nahi tha..

you did the right thing. I should have included direct democracy scholars :|
  • I always attempted 3 question form secion B in both papers but this time had to attempt 3 from sec A in both papers..Not enough content in section B as question were very generic and not core PSIR.

Attempted 3 ques from sec A means ?? You know na you have to at least attempt one question from each section not taking compulsory under consideration
    Aj gumnam hu toh fasla rakh mujse ... kal fir mashhur ho jau to koi rishta nikal lena ...!

you did the right thing. I should have included direct democracy scholars :|
    Marks ane pe pata chalega.lets hope for the best!!!☺
  • edited October 11
    P1 was was relatively easy, P2 pe section A questions were such that I had to choose extra question from India and world.

Paper 2 pe I was forced to choose a 20 marker, I had no clue about. ICCR wala, wrote so much crap in last 10 mins.

In the question of Indian diaspora effecting India US relation pe, among other example i used the example of rightist Rajiv Malhotra. :smiley:

Due to lack of content, p1 ke ek question mein comparative politics ghusa diya and p2 ke ek question mein IGP scholars likhna pada
    *Your* tears! *Your* blood! Your *pathetic* lives forged into something of worth
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog