We are hiring!

Reviews | How useful is an iPad for IAS / UPSC Preparation?

2»

Comments

• Dead Man said:

Microsoft surface pro. Best if you have money. Best alternative for iPad.

The older versions till last year had serious battery issues is what I have heard. Not sure how good are the new ones.
    But yes it is one of the tablets money can buy.
    कर्मवीर को फर्क न पड़ता किसी जीत या हार का |
  • edited October 2018

https://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/comment/1487474/#Comment_1487474

Read my post at the end of this article.

I would suggest you to buy something having windows. Avoid iOS. It severely restricts you and locks you into an ecosystem which you cannot easily exit. And an ecosystem that will extract a lot of money from you.

There are Lenovo laptop/tablets which also provide pen support. Though they might be slightly expensive. But I would still prefer them over iOS.
    Simple hai. You won't find as many softwares on iOS which you can find on Windows in .exe files. You can attach a mouse in Windows, not in iOS. There is no USB support in iOS devices, windows devices will mostly have USB support.

I have been an iPhone user, a MacBook user and am currently using ipad Air 2. iOS is not better than windows. It is very restrictive.

It's just that Apple products have an altogether different premium feel to them. But these days even non Apple devices are getting that quality. For instance, I think, Dell XPS 13 was similar to MacBook in appearance.

PS. iOS 12 has now sorted the lag problem in Apple devices after apple had to face a lot of criticism over planned obsolescing.

Yes that's the issue with all apple products, everythig has to go through ios or the app store. If its not on app store its not there for you. But from the point of study I feel the ios is not restrictive at all, provided you use a cloud storage for file transfer. If you intend to use usb to transfer stuff then surely one will have a tough time.
    But compared to windows/android I believe the apple devices work far better in overall experience and stability which comes at cost of restricted ecosystem. I have an ipad3 (2012) as well and the thing works like a charm for almost everything daily use. But it seriously lags in usage of apps like goodnotes or notability when editing. But overall I feel an ipad will serve the purpose of studies better than a windows device.
    कर्मवीर को फर्क न पड़ता किसी जीत या हार का |
  • https://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/comment/1487474/#Comment_1487474

I would suggest you to buy something having windows. Avoid iOS. It severely restricts you and locks you into an ecosystem which you cannot easily exit. And an ecosystem that will extract a lot of money from you.

There are Lenovo laptop/tablets which also provide pen support. Though they might be slightly expensive. But I would still prefer them over iOS.
    Simple hai. You won't find as many softwares on iOS which you can find on Windows in .exe files. You can attach a mouse in Windows, not in iOS. There is no USB support in iOS devices, windows devices will mostly have USB support.

I have been an iPhone user, a MacBook user and am currently using ipad Air 2. iOS is not better than windows. It is very restrictive.

It's just that Apple products have an altogether different premium feel to them. But these days even non Apple devices are getting that quality. For instance, I think, Dell XPS 13 was similar to MacBook in appearance.

PS. iOS 12 has now sorted the lag problem in Apple devices after apple had to face a lot of criticism over planned obsolescing.

Yes that's the issue with all apple products, everythig has to go through ios or the app store. If its not on app store its not there for you. But from the point of study I feel the ios is not restrictive at all, provided you use a cloud storage for file transfer. If you intend to use usb to transfer stuff then surely one will have a tough time.
    But compared to windows/android I believe the apple devices work far better in overall experience and stability which comes at cost of restricted ecosystem. I have an ipad3 (2012) as well and the thing works like a charm for almost everything daily use. But it seriously lags in usage of apps like goodnotes or notability when editing. But overall I feel an ipad will serve the purpose of studies better than a windows device.
    Can we transfer files directly via connecting Otg pendrive like android devices support? The dual otg pendrives makes life a lot easier for android users.
  • newkid said:

Can we transfer files directly via connecting Otg pendrive like android devices support? The dual otg pendrives makes life a lot easier for android users.
    Only few specially designed OTG are supported.
  • Blidly go for iPad 2018.I bought it in may.I just love it.Its very useful.Avoids lot of printing work.Moreover it's no longer costly.Just 23000 now.
  • newkid said:

You can purchase special iOS related devices. They would be much more expensive than the otg cables available for android. Minimum 4-5k

• fellas, how bad is the gap in ipad's non laminated display as compared to the laminated one in pro models, for pdf use and otherwise? The ipad 2018 checks all other boxes for me. please help!
  • newkid said:

During this amazon/flipkart sale, i am thinking to buy iPad. I want to ask people those who use iPad for preparation, whether it is worth the money from only preparation point of view. Main purpose will be revising Evernote notes, pdf and other multimedia.

It's worth if you don't end up installing Tinder.
  • Rainmaker said:

fellas, how bad is the gap in ipad's non laminated display as compared to the laminated one in pro models, for pdf use and otherwise? The ipad 2018 checks all other boxes for me. please help!

Its not evident if you are not used to laminated one. Just go for it but choose space grey colour in which the gap isn't that visible.
  • iPad 2018 is good.
    I'm using Apple pencil to take notes on notability. They are awesome.
    Gap is not an issue in iPad. You will be fine and you will not notice.
  • I want to sell my brand new iPad , 9.7 inches, 2017 model 5th generation. I brought it for 28000 and am ready to sell it for 19,900.
    Why am I selling it ? Because I got gifted a new upgraded model.
    Anyone interested, please message me at 9051936357.
  • IPad Pro is a beauty. Increases efficiency as well as qualitative hours of reading. Pen and paper experience is a given in IPad Pro.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly