Current Affairs Revision Classes + Answer Writing For Mains 2019 
the one class you can bank upon to ace Mains 2019
Click Here to Subscribe for the classes.
Classes to be held every Monday and Tuesday, 5 PM. 

Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Official Guidance Thread for IFS Mains 2018 | By IFS Officers Sandeep Reddy & Akhil

Comments

• Oh, how I wish I had filled up forest this year ! Was scoring 122+ by Neostencil and Vajiram and answer key.

Only lack of confidence stopped me from ticking the IFoS checkbox :disappointed:
    Do not inbox meh |
  • I feel very difficult to prepare current affairs in UPSC examination.Can you help me on this.
  • Can somebody tell the review of Shankar IAS Geology online course? I have never studied geology so will it help. Somebody Please answer
  • edited October 2018
    @Sandeep333 sir what would be good attempt in maths and what are scaling factors in ifos...are they similar to cse ?
  • 2017 Geology
    @rembrandt @Sandeep333
    1. Q1 (a) stereographic projection is given, how do we deduce the structure from it?
    2. Q1 (c) A sedimentary sequence of 2km thickness shows shallow water differentiation from top to bottom, how do you explain it?
    pdf
    pdf
    IFS-Geology-2017-Part-2.pdf
  • edited October 2018
    Has anybody heard of A A Shah’s online geology crash course?
  • @karna123

Last year,
    P-1, for 200/200 correct attempt candidate can expect around 135-140;

P-2,for 170/200 correct attempt candidate can expect around 135-140

Scaling depends on many factors-paper difficulty, competition etc.,

Accuracy is of utmost appearance
  • Dear Friends,

Sorry for pitching in so late...
    For people who don't have accesss to resources to Paleontology..

Here is PDF of P K Mukherjee..

What else could be done on this topic ???? (For very basic understanding)

Brachiopods

Trilobites

https://www.trilobites.info/triloclass.htm

https://www.trilobites.info/trilobite.htm

Microfossils grouping table (Always use this in answers)

http://wiki.aapg.org/Microfossils_in_exploration

Utility of microfossils in exploration

https://www.slideshare.net/pramodgpramod/application-of-microfossil-in-fossil-fuel-exploration-74665681

(NOTE: It is my collection.. You can adjust it for your own case... ATB) will pitch in for further topics what I prepared for... (Hope it helps.. to someone in geology)...
    pdf
    pdf
    Paleontology p k mukherjee.pdf
    17M
  • Is one allowed to write CSE again after qualifying for IFOS.?
    You don't have to be great to start
    But you have to start to be great..!!
  • I could not understand a single bit in the topic "Mating design" of tree improvement chapter.

Read from manikandan. Can anyone help?
    2017,2018 : P+M.
    Anthropology
  • edited November 2018
    @IndiaIndium

2. Q1 (c) A sedimentary sequence of 2km thickness shows shallow water differentiation from top to bottom, how do you explain it?

You can write about the write about generic write up (as given in Bangar)
    Lithification and Diagenesis (Compaction, Cementation, Recrystallization

This is more generic and should give you decent marks. (Since question was for 10 marks only)

Else

You can write about the Lacustrine environment depositional features.
    This write up will give you more marks 8 /10 for sure.

It is given in the following link

Website source:

https://epgp.inflibnet.ac.in/view_f.php?category=594

Module 04 - lacustrine environment.

• For all GEOLOGY Aspirants

Best websites for preparation and material is

1)
    https://epgp.inflibnet.ac.in
    National Mission on Education through ICT - by MHRD

Go to Students portal here.. and search for Geology - you will get notes also (PDF) which can be downloaded

2)
    https://www.swayamprabha.gov.in
    National Mission on Education through ICT - by MHRD

This website, lectures are mostly available in Youtube, copy the title and paste in youtube ...you should be able to view them ..(I have no idea of Notes in this website)

Example: Geochemical - Geobotanical prospecting,

3) Prof. T K Biswal videos (IIT Bombay)
    Only two lectures which I would recommend of Stratigraphy and tectonics setting of India, Ductile Structure analysis - are important.
    You can view the videos at 2 speed to cover it very fast....

ATB..

• Stratigraphic Boundary Problems in INDIA - GSI document. (Paper 1)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lKlDklHJIExv_pSbBy14Gw1su8iPAiJj
  • rembrandt said:

Hi all, I'm Akhil.. selected in IFS exam 2017..I have benefitted a lot from the inputs given by seniors in forum for my preparation last year..and, now I think it's my turn to give something in return..I have appeared thrice in ifs mains(giving interviews everytime)..my optionals were geology and forestry for the last two attempts( geology n agriculture in 2015)..if anyone needs guidance on how to approach geology or forestry, I will try my best to help..

Mod Note : We are announcing this as an official thread

Update: Sandeep Reddy, Rank 22 is also active on the thread. Please tag him for queries.

Sir will yu please provide a rough idea of number of hours needed to complete geology ,and what was your strategy for applied questions ,I am taking it for next cse and ifs mains to normalise my preparation,is it wise to take geology for cse exam ,thanks in advance
  • dalash said:

rembrandt said:

Hi all, I'm Akhil.. selected in IFS exam 2017..I have benefitted a lot from the inputs given by seniors in forum for my preparation last year..and, now I think it's my turn to give something in return..I have appeared thrice in ifs mains(giving interviews everytime)..my optionals were geology and forestry for the last two attempts( geology n agriculture in 2015)..if anyone needs guidance on how to approach geology or forestry, I will try my best to help..

Mod Note : We are announcing this as an official thread

Update: Sandeep Reddy, Rank 22 is also active on the thread. Please tag him for queries.

Sir will yu please provide a rough idea of number of hours needed to complete geology ,and what was your strategy for applied questions ,I am taking it for next cse and ifs mains to normalise my preparation,is it wise to take geology for cse exam ,thanks in advance
    geology is a technical subject..it needs time to get a grip..one will take at least 2 months to get a good hold over the subject..for ifs exam, one month preparation might produce results..but that's not guaranteed..since most of the candidates choosing geology are new to the subject, there's somewhat a level playing field..and a reasonable level of preparation would fetch u good marks in the exam..one who has studied geography would find paper1 part A of geology quite manageable..and people having civil engineering background will also find certain topics easier...
    Nowadays more people are taking geology as a common optional for civils n forest..it's a fairly good strategy..but u have to work hard since the level of competition is increasing very fast..now that upsc started asking applied questions even in forest which needs good command over topics like crystallography n mineralogy..u have to study such topics from multiple sources..and some questions can be attempted by applying logic..
  • thanks sir for your advice , yes i am also decoding previous year papers and upsc is changing rapidly with its exam approach ,no shortcut could fetch any rank both in forest and mains , definitely need to read with depth from standard books ,whatever is your optional, marks in optional are decided by satisfying need of exam not by bheed of that optional, thanks again.
  • edited November 2018
    @rembrandt
    It was my 3 mains attempt with geography ..and I am not hopeful....and I am preparing for ifos with geology...I am inclined to taking this as optional as it is a science optional..shifting to non-science is equally problematic....but greatest demotivation is that 1-2 people only clear IAS that too in poor ranks...and syllabus depth required for IAS and ifos is also huge......can you comment on this to help in resolve dilemma and to whether it's better to switch to anthropology(purely on marks trend ) or psychology(interest) and geology(familiarity with geography,ifos syllabus basics read ) or maybe stick with geography(already acquaint with sub and guidance from best in bizness....hope that I will have the req intuition next time)
    In my opinion Deal breaker or maker in humanities is the paper 2 marks...which requires intuition more than preparation..toppers getting great marks are able to play with maps and case studies in those 3 hours...and that's it.on this trend anthropology,science optionals have a great advantage of being objective atleast....therfore the dilemma

I didn't had civil engineering nor geology or mining.
  • Never able to clear ifos pre cutoff any strategy, I m 100% sure if i write ifos mains i will crack because my both optional are from graudation background. But i m left with only 2 attempts. Please help me to clear ifos prelims. I can clear cse prelims but those 15-20 extra marks is huge task for me
  • Please, can somebody help me in chapter - 4 - Silviculture of trees? How to remember the characteristics of so many trees?
  • Learning said:

Please, can somebody help me in chapter - 4 - Silviculture of trees? How to remember the characteristics of so many trees?

LEAVE IT...try to attempt other questions
  • Learning said:

Please, can somebody help me in chapter - 4 - Silviculture of trees? How to remember the characteristics of so many trees?

I included a method I applied, in this blog

https://sandeepreddyifs.wordpress.com/2018/10/22/ifs-mains-preparation-strategy/

Go for this chapter , only after you are done with all the other chapters
  • will surely reccomend my friends regarding this thread, thanks alot for this sir.
  • Any group for philosophy?
  • folks from outside delhi with upsc as centre, how are you planning for the stay as hotels are very costly
  • folks from outside delhi with upsc as centre, how are you planning for the stay as hotels are very costly

try hotels in pahrganj area(new delhi station) , I got one for 800 rs . and to reach upsc centre it takes just 15 mins from there , you can catch auto right at the entrance of the hotel.
    initializing MIDI inputs and outputs ェ炎のーカ
  • SSC GD Constable Admit card 2018, candidates need to visit the official website. SSC Constable GD Admit card 2018 carries important information such as Exam, exam date, venue and many more things.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly