We are hiring!

Official Guidance Thread for IFS Mains 2018 | By IFS Officers Sandeep Reddy & Akhil

Comments

• The_One said:

Any group for geology ??

The_One said:

Any group for geology ??

https://t.me/joinchat/B7CcHA8Gn9PMrjHFGiuhvA
  • Bhai yeih batao GS aur general english ka kya karna hai.
    My optionals are mechanical + maths.
  • Anyone enrolled for Shankar ias geology??
    Please review...
    Any fool with a bit of luck can find himself born into power.

But earning it for yourself, that takes work.
  • Any group for geology
  • Can we post doubts here sir? Of geology and forestry?
    For example: Last year there was a question:
    What are the principles of crystal structures?
    Is the answer Pauling's rules sir? Or is it something else?
  • Does anyone have soft/scanned copy of Maniknandan & Prabhu's Forestry book?
  • Any group for agriculture optional?
  • Ganz said:

Can we post doubts here sir? Of geology and forestry?
    For example: Last year there was a question:
    What are the principles of crystal structures?
    Is the answer Pauling's rules sir? Or is it something else?

I think we can create separate whatsapp/telegram groups to discuss geology n forestry doubts..and this thread can be used for general queries about the exam...
    In your question of principles of crystal structure, you can quote the 5 rules Linus Pauling..
  • @rembrandt sir where to start geology ? from NPTEL lectures ? or brilliant tutorials material ? or sth else?
  • shankar ias geology classes have startred from 13th ? anybody joined ?
  • TROBRIAND said:

@rembrandt sir where to start geology ? from NPTEL lectures ? or brilliant tutorials material ? or sth else?

You can start with k m bangar..also see the nptel lecture series by debasis roy..
  • Can anybody tell how is Shankar IAS’s online geology program ? Also is anyone willing to share the program on cost sharing basis?
  • @rembrandt sir are these nptel videos on forest biometry sufficient for forest mensuration part ? https://nptel.ac.in/courses/102104060/
  • @rembrandt sir are these nptel videos on forest biometry sufficient for forest mensuration part ? https://nptel.ac.in/courses/102104060/

This covers only some part of mensuration chapter..rishav Gupta notes covers most of the important topics of mensuration..or u can read chaturvedi..
  • rembrandt said:

@rembrandt sir are these nptel videos on forest biometry sufficient for forest mensuration part ? https://nptel.ac.in/courses/102104060/

This covers only some part of mensuration chapter..rishav Gupta notes covers most of the important topics of mensuration..or u can read chaturvedi..
    thnk you sir
  • is there group for geology and forestry,, if yes plz do include me, 8527315017
  • Sir,
    In stratigraphy chapter,for each period we have a stratigraphic succession. Do we need to remember all of them?

15401842183921482775592.jpg
    3456 x 4608 - 2M
  • ABU007 said:

Sir,
    In stratigraphy chapter,for each period we have a stratigraphic succession. Do we need to remember all of them?

It's difficult to remember the complete succession..try to remember the respective divisions/groups and only the important formations..please see the previous years questions from stratigraphy and prepare for important successions..p k Mukherjee is a better book for stratigraphy than bangar..u can also use Ravindra Kumar for reference..
  • Thanks a lot,Sir
  • Is it possible to clear IFos exam in 1 month with maths and forestry ...which are new to me since my optional in cse is psir ??
    2018- cse mains , Ifos mains
    2017,2016,2015 - failed prelims
  • @lalalash Maths in 1 month? That too, from scratch? I would say the chances are very bleak
  • Sir , after Banger what to do read??..

• Naidu said:

Sir , after Banger what to do read??..

Read p k mukherjee..this will cover topics like paleontology which is not there in bangar..in fact mukherjee will give conceptual clarity on most topics.. crystallography u can read from Tulane notes..
  • @rembrandt @Sandeep333 sir this is first time i am reading forestry. I am finding silviculture tough and taking lot of time to understand. I want to do imp topics first. Can you pls tell me in paper1 and paper 2 chapterwise distribution wrto Qns - like 1-8 Qns in each paper. each Qn has subparts. THis Qns comes from which chapter.
  • rembrandt said:

Naidu said:

Sir , after Banger what to do read??..

Read p k mukherjee..this will cover topics like paleontology which is not there in bangar..in fact mukherjee will give conceptual clarity on most topics.. crystallography u can read from Tulane notes..
    Thanks sir..

• @maximus123 Questions were being mixed within every section of both papers. Silviculture takes some time, focus on easier ones- be sure of the easier ones in both papers - i.e., Part B, attempt 2 questions from it, don't neglect even a single chapter in Part B, If you leave silviculture and cover rest of the topics well i.e., chapters 1,3,4 in Part A, paper 1, in the worst case you may need to leave 15-20 marks

However, once you are done with other topics, revise silviculture [Chapter 2] many times, Go through the images of every silvicultural system, gradually you will get hold of this topic too!
  • edited October 2018

@maximus123 Questions were being mixed within every section of both papers. Silviculture takes some time, focus on easier ones- be sure of the easier ones in both papers - i.e., Part B, attempt 2 questions from it, don't neglect even a single chapter in Part B, If you leave silviculture and cover rest of the topics well i.e., chapters 1,3,4 in Part A, paper 1, in the worst case you may need to leave 15-20 marks

However, once you are done with other topics, revise silviculture [Chapter 2] many times, Go through the images of every silvicultural system, gradually you will get hold of this topic too!

@Sandeep333
    Tq Sir, Silviculture was fine till before silvi-systems. silvi systems chapter and that species table chapter is taking too much time for me.
    I have some doubts ... can you pls clarify following.
    can u pls tell me difference between concentrated regeneration and diffused regeneration? concentrated regeneration says that felling is done in "part" of felling series and if felling is done in distributed manner over entire felling series then diffused regeneration

What is felling series here????
  • @maximus123 Not sure about the answer as I was out of touch with those technical terms.

As far as I remember, Felling series is a unit of yield regulation and maybe we can equate felling series with a BLOCK [ certain area ] ,where one plans for silviculture
  • @maximus123 Not sure about the answer as I was out of touch with those technical terms.

As far as I remember, Felling series is a unit of yield regulation and maybe we can equate felling series with a BLOCK [ certain area ] ,where one plans for silviculture

Tq sir
  • Sir,
    Is there any website where we can find topper's answer booklet related to IFS? Just wanted to see how the answers are written.
    Thanks
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly