How was the paper ? Geography optional

Share your views on the paper. How it was ?
«13

Comments

  • Balance...no googlies...overall doable!!!
  • raj87 said:

    Balance...no googlies...overall doable!!!

    What about paper 2 ? I found it little different than previous years.
  • edited October 8
    It would have been better had they called it a General Studies paper !!
    Such a generic and lengthy paper never came in recent history of this exam. Only 11 questions in both papers (total 56 questions) were from core subject. Rest were all generic. It all depends on marking and scaling now.

    Attempted 492/500, leaving 4 map entries. But content of 80-90 marks, was written in haste due to paucity of time and couldn't fulfil requirements of questions properly.

    I think UPSC is hell bent on breaking the hold of coaching industry on the exam and give a level playing field to first timers vis a vis multiple attemptors.
    GS1 and Subject, two areas of this exam which are labour intensive and get enriched only with passing years, saw a generic paper pattern this time.
    2013, 2014 - Mains*
    2015 - Interview*
    2016 - IRS (C&CE)
    2017 - IPS
    2018 - Prelims, Mains*
  • It would have been better had they called it a General Studies paper !!
    Such a generic and lengthy paper never came in recent history of this exam. Only 11 questions in both papers (total 56 questions) were from core subject. Rest were all generic. It all depends on marking and scaling now.

    Attempted 492/500, leaving 4 map entries. But content of 80-90 marks, was written in haste due to paucity of time and couldn't fulfil requirements of questions properly.

    I think UPSC is hell bent on breaking the hold of coaching industry on the exam and give a level playing field to first timers vis a vis multiple attemptors.
    GS1 and Subject, two areas of this exam which are labour intensive and get enriched only with passing years, saw a generic paper pattern this time.

    It would have been better had they called it a General Studies paper !!
    Such a generic and lengthy paper never came in recent history of this exam. Only 11 questions in both papers (total 56 questions) were from core subject. Rest were all generic. It all depends on marking and scaling now.

    Attempted 492/500, leaving 4 map entries. But content of 80-90 marks, was written in haste due to paucity of time and couldn't fulfil requirements of questions properly.

    I think UPSC is hell bent on breaking the hold of coaching industry on the exam and give a level playing field to first timers vis a vis multiple attemptors.
    GS1 and Subject, two areas of this exam which are labour intensive and get enriched only with passing years, saw a generic paper pattern this time.

    However, Geo P2 has been generic since last few years. But this time they asked some Geo Thesis type questions, (those changing morphology n all, were really seemed PhD work of universities..)

    And your last paragraph is so true!!!

    UPSC really knows how to set its paper apart.. But it is a 'good' trend too, otherwise it becomes only rote-and-vomit exam.
  • Throw light on geography p1 human geography part as well. It saw a rise in geographical thought question.
    Also was a 3+2 (physical + human) combination in p1 a right strategy this time in p1.
    Also can anyone throw light on p2 generic question answered via a geographic angle as suggested by many. Which questions could have been converted in such theme.

    TIA.
  • Dead Man said:

    raj87 said:

    Balance...no googlies...overall doable!!!

    What about paper 2 ? I found it little different than previous years.
    Yeah it was !!!!but it was nothing in compare to 2017 evility in geo...
  • In Paper 1 i felt they wanted people to attempt section A and made section B tougher compared to last few years(it was more subjective than direct, time consuming and no answer can be perfect. beauty will lie in mind of examiner). Paper 2 there was hardly any direct question and in real sense application of paper 1. last year there were direct question of industrial regions of india, locational of industries which were absent. It may seems like paper was easy but i found it tough because we have to write geographical aspect instead of general.
    This was my 3rd mains...previous two attempts 242 248.
  • Mabh said:

    Throw light on geography p1 human geography part as well. It saw a rise in geographical thought question.
    Also was a 3+2 (physical + human) combination in p1 a right strategy this time in p1.
    Also can anyone throw light on p2 generic question answered via a geographic angle as suggested by many. Which questions could have been converted in such theme.

    TIA.

    yup i think Paper 1 3+2 strategy was better. and the best option were Q2,Q3 and Q8.

    Paper 2 question like 8(c)-->>> type of international bundaries can be used( subsequent in case of india pakistan bangladesh myanmar and physiographic in other two. Plus comment on relaed culture like language,religion, cropping pattern with digram can be shown. for 4(b) mahan and spykman. 1(d) on duststrom direct from vision material on disaster management a map was there that was more than enough. I think it was right to do so....may be someone has better answer please share
  • It seems like paper 1 section B part was tricky one.
  • Paper 1 did not go as expected, was surprised by the section b so had to switch the strategy and go for 3-2(A:B)
    Paper 2 went well but felt the paper was lengthy as towards the end had to rush in order to write some almost 40marks. So lets see, fingers crossed.
    कर्मवीर को फर्क न पड़ता किसी जीत या हार का |
  • Mujhe aisa ku lag raha hai ki...geo se mains dene wale logo ke jansankya iss bar bahut down hai!!
  • raj87 said:

    Mujhe aisa ku lag raha hai ki...geo se mains dene wale logo ke jansankya iss bar bahut down hai!!

    I don't think so. Yes it would be less than that of previous years but lots of people are still opting for geography optional. Coaching are flooded with thousands of geography optional people.
  • My fifth mains. This paper 2 was very unconventional. Lengthy and specific questions.
    My last three year score 123, 158,161 .. 2015 2016 2017.. but this year even 130 seems tough I suppose . My last attempt.
  • My fifth mains. This paper 2 was very unconventional. Lengthy and specific questions.
    My last three year score 123, 158,161 .. 2015 2016 2017.. but this year even 130 seems tough I suppose . My last attempt.

    Bhai app to exp plyr ho..kita score iss bar decent mana jayega geo me...any idea!!!
  • raj87 said:

    My fifth mains. This paper 2 was very unconventional. Lengthy and specific questions.
    My last three year score 123, 158,161 .. 2015 2016 2017.. but this year even 130 seems tough I suppose . My last attempt.

    Bhai app to exp plyr ho..kita score iss bar decent mana jayega geo me...any idea!!!
    Decent Ka nhi pata Yaar.. perr baaki optional se kamm naa de.
  • I have realized how how double minded aspirants are. When the paper is on tough side everyone cries " butchering" , but when Paper is easier now everyone is lamenting over "general" nature of paper.

    What is the way out of this?
  • I have realized how how double minded aspirants are. When the paper is on tough side everyone cries " butchering" , but when Paper is easier now everyone is lamenting over "general" nature of paper.

    What is the way out of this?

    Paper was not easier and definitely not generic.
    Paper 2 is one of the toughest in years... Questions were so specific that even brainstorming points wasn't working.

    However, Paper 1 was good and doable.

    If upscaling/liberal marking doesn't happen, i dont many see good marks in p2 at all.. P1 will definitely see good marks as hardly any bouncer.


  • Hey, I thought paper was really tough and lengthy. Paper 1 was pretty doable. Had a bad paper 2.
  • Even the compulsory questions in p2, at least half of them, were extremely vague and unconventional.
  • edited October 10
    dvsd said:

    Even the compulsory questions in p2, at least half of them, were extremely vague and unconventional.

    Agreed.
    KHALNAYAK said:

    Mabh said:

    Throw light on geography p1 human geography part as well. It saw a rise in geographical thought question.
    Also was a 3+2 (physical + human) combination in p1 a right strategy this time in p1.
    Also can anyone throw light on p2 generic question answered via a geographic angle as suggested by many. Which questions could have been converted in such theme.

    TIA.

    yup i think Paper 1 3+2 strategy was better. and the best option were Q2,Q3 and Q8.

    Paper 2 question like 8(c)-->>> type of international bundaries can be used( subsequent in case of india pakistan bangladesh myanmar and physiographic in other two. Plus comment on relaed culture like language,religion, cropping pattern with digram can be shown. for 4(b) mahan and spykman. 1(d) on duststrom direct from vision material on disaster management a map was there that was more than enough. I think it was right to do so....may be someone has better answer please share
    Paper 1 I did 2+3.. physical geography not my strength. I was happy with human geography. Paper 2 questions were not straight forward and I think everyone would end up writing GS type answers only (atleast I did). Not much reference could be made to paper 1 concepts.
  • Paper 1 was better compared to last year , yet lengthy. Paper 2 this year, was very vague and required on the spot thinking thus time consuming. Also the fact that this year space in paper 2 for answer was given much more compared to last 2-3 years, making us to write more for each answer. In paper 2 , 50 marks attempted in last 15 minutes. Let's see what happens.
  • Is anyone willing to discuss the paper???
  • Any tips for the first timers would b highly welcome........
  • Aisi mandi na dekhi maine geo me ....sabko saap soongh gaya hai lagta hai....ya sab post mains chilation phase enjoy kar rahe hai...
  • raj87 said:

    Aisi mandi na dekhi maine geo me ....sabko saap soongh gaya hai lagta hai....ya sab post mains chilation phase enjoy kar rahe hai...

    Yes. This year less enthusiasm amongst the aspirants with geography optional. Maybe due to less number of students from it.
  • RaufNa said:

    Is anyone willing to discuss the paper???

    Ya sure, let's start with paper 1
  • Kalahiran said:

    RaufNa said:

    Is anyone willing to discuss the paper???

    Ya sure, let's start with paper 1
    Q5a) Geography... Eurocentricity .. only recently challeged what all did u writr?
    I wrote.
    1. Post colonialism.
    2. Environmentalism. How nature as usufruct changed to nature as a nurture perspective.
  • My fifth mains. This paper 2 was very unconventional. Lengthy and specific questions.
    My last three year score 123, 158,161 .. 2015 2016 2017.. but this year even 130 seems tough I suppose . My last attempt.

    How many map places did you manage this year.
    Do approximate location count, only state correct(Wrong description of location)?
    Do only partial description without pinpointing location count?
  • edited October 13
    April2015 said:

    Kalahiran said:

    RaufNa said:

    Is anyone willing to discuss the paper???

    Ya sure, let's start with paper 1
    Q5a) Geography... Eurocentricity .. only recently challeged what all did u writr?
    I wrote.
    1. Post colonialism.
    2. Environmentalism. How nature as usufruct changed to nature as a nurture perspective.
    In this question do we need to write about contribution of the European geographers (starting right from Aristotle ) and how their ideas were challenged by contemporary or subsequent geographers.
  • Dead Man said:

    April2015 said:

    Kalahiran said:

    RaufNa said:

    Is anyone willing to discuss the paper???

    Ya sure, let's start with paper 1
    Q5a) Geography... Eurocentricity .. only recently challeged what all did u writr?
    I wrote.
    1. Post colonialism.
    2. Environmentalism. How nature as usufruct changed to nature as a nurture perspective.
    In this question do we need to write about contribution of the European geographers (starting right from Aristotle ) and how their ideas were challenged by contemporary or subsequent geographers.
    Yes that, but in a 10 marker
    The last two lines would be a major part how the eurocentricity was challenged. I think.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog