All India Open Prelims Simulator Test X
Start Now
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Best way to prepare is coaching or self study?

Hey, for economics optional the best way to prepare is self study or coaching? And if coaching, then which one? Also, a way to guide map in case for self study?

Comments

• Hey, for economics optional the best way to prepare is self study or coaching? And if coaching, then which one? Also, a way to guide map in case for self study?

-Joining a test series would definitely be helpful after completing the basic books.Search for economics optional test series on Flavido for that.
    -Do consult toppers notes to improve quality of your content/areas which you might not have time to prepare. They are available on their respective blogs.
  • Hey dear, I say something about your question. I think coaching is the best place for the study because there is the full environment of study and also the best teachers can help you so there you can learn something and self-study is not useful or good because you are alone and lonely you are not learn and If you want to go the coaching so you can ask with classmates. Well, If your problems do not solve it so you should hire the best assignment help expert and I hope they will help you and solve your problems.
  • Hey, for economics optional the best way to prepare is self study or coaching? And if coaching, then which one? Also, a way to guide map in case for self study?

If you have a background in economics, coaching not needed. If you dont, take coaching to get some idea. However, rest assured that it is not like the economy of GS which is done as a generalist. The subject is rather mathematical and specific. Dont opt for it unless you are very sure. Check out topper blogs for ideas on routine. Good luck.
  • If at all needed, optional coaching can be opted for. But for GS, current affairs ye sab time wastage hota hai. You can cover these areas pretty well by yourself. Test series should be joined for mock test writing practice and not for judging you on the basis of the score.
    P - 3 | M - 3 | I-Never
  • Hi, get coached.

I'm saying this based on my experiences. I am good in my optional and felt that optional would sail me through but that was such a wrong notion. There are other papers as well. For any papers, which you feel you need guidance, please get it. It's your good performance in all papers that would sail you through.

I didn't take any paid guidance aka coaching because I had this bloated notion as explained above combined with shortage of time. When I indeed had time, I felt I'd do well with my own effort. But well...

I reiterate again, paisa sufficient hain to join coaching ji. Don't have this adarsh ideology of not joining coaching, doing at my own, vagera, vagera.
  • Hi, get coached.

I'm saying this based on my experiences. I am good in my optional and felt that optional would sail me through but that was such a wrong notion. There are other papers as well. For any papers, which you feel you need guidance, please get it. It's your good performance in all papers that would sail you through.

I didn't take any paid guidance aka coaching because I had this bloated notion as explained above combined with shortage of time. When I indeed had time, I felt I'd do well with my own effort. But well...

I reiterate again, paisa sufficient hain to join coaching ji. Don't have this adarsh ideology of not joining coaching, doing at my own, vagera, vagera.

Sir / Ma”am I think that you with a previous profile who recommended against joining coaching sometime in the past.

I spent four years on Forum and Insights ( and 1 year on Baba ) doing all these answer practice and no coaching and self study plans etc.

Also spent these four years in my room in ORN without having any idea of the competition level outside, assuming that everyone intelligent is on the forum.

I also did not join coaching ( actually joined Vajiram but left after 2 months ) under the misguided notion that we should not do coaching and do self study.

This is the biggest misguidance that people will give you. They themselves will join , they will also tell their younger sister to join, but here on Forum they will take high ground.

After wasting four years, like an idiot, collecting material in ORN , I burned all of it. Thankfully it was my roommate whose sister was in IRS, whom I saw used to goto both forum and vision for test series. And when I asked , they would say do insights daily answer writing.

For Prelims when I asked they said don’t join any test series and prepare from market test papers. And both of them joined test series ( paid one ) .

Then I met another person who was doing SFG at forum despite getting a rank . I joined it and it is the only reason I cleared Prelims.

Most people don’t know, but the way the paper was this year I saw my effort go down the drain.

Thankfully I cleared. I cried for days just for clearing.

Don’t listen to these persons. Do one coaching at least and meet people who are preparing instead of not doing coaching preaching not joining coaching.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but I wasted four years in Rajinder nagar because on forum as well as a failed senior ( I am also one now ) told me don’t go for coaching.

I think it ruined me.

Sorry for this long post. But people here do not give the same suggestion they would give if they knew you in real life.
    Do not inbox meh |
  • @AHatley. Hi, this is the only time that I'm ever giving out my views on coaching. You probably must have mistaken me for someone else. Also, I'm not a successful candidate yet, the only consolation for me is that I have been up-to interview stage. So you see, I'm very careful with my words in threads like this. I don't want to misguide.

No offense taken bro. I like the honesty with which you've expressed yourself. Like I've said, one must do everything to improve his chances of appearing in the list.
  • @AHatley. Hi, this is the only time that I'm ever giving out my views on coaching. You probably must have mistaken me for someone else. Also, I'm not a successful candidate yet, the only consolation for me is that I have been up-to interview stage. So you see, I'm very careful with my words in threads like this. I don't want to misguide.

No offense taken bro. I like the honesty with which you've expressed yourself. Like I've said, one must do everything to improve his chances of appearing in the list.

I hope I am wrong. I hope you are not the same profile.

It is just that people are selfish. No one tells the right strategy.

Even if people are honest with what they did and what they did not that would help a lot of clueless people.
    Do not inbox meh |
  • edited November 2018

Hey, for economics optional the best way to prepare is self study or coaching? And if coaching, then which one? Also, a way to guide map in case for self study?

I would have suggested you take no coaching had it not been for economics optional.

Firstly, avoid taking economics if you have not graduated/post-graduate with economics.

It is a very techinal and mathematical paper. I avoided choosing economics as an optional even though I had graduated with economics.

Now, taking a good coaching would surely help if you get teachers who are really good in the subject. Else, economics is not everyone's cup of tea to teach well.
  • edited November 2018
    I agree with Abhi44. Economics needs 4-6 months of study.

It also depends on the educational institute where one studied economics from. The economics taught at DU, CU, IIT, ISI, JNU, Jadavpur, CDS are far more mathematical and have specific math based papers and an analytical approach. This makes life easier when one covers paper 1 in particular.

The quality of coaching for economics optional has been abysmal at best. This becomes more evident during growth models, salvatore which demand conceptual clarity and not dictating.

There is no substitute for self study, conceptual clarity and solving past papers. Test series do help.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google