All India Open Prelims Simulator Test X
on 22nd May, 2019 CLICK HERE to know more and apply
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

MBA as a backup

I m 23 years old. Currently I m preparing for UPSC 2019, didnt clear pre 18..
Lasy year I got some calls from IIM but didnt go coz i wanted to prepare for UPSC exam. People have suggested me to go for IIM ABC in case i get a call next year and then take a break after graduation as a backup option as there is deferred placements where you can sit for placements 2 years after graduating from IIM to prepare for UPSC exam. Plus I dont have any financial obligation so loan is not the problem.
Is this a good option or should I continue to prepare for UPSC exam considering the uncertainty.
I m worried that MBA might overshadow my IAS dream.
Please advice as i m in a big dilemma.

Comments

• IIM and UPSC are two absolutely divergent paths, you cannot choose both. 1 year lag in MBA life is career-ending, in MBA every moment counts, every extra feather you can add to your CV through official contacts, internships, etc will make or break your stellar paypackage in CTC negotiation. A person who gets the MBA taste once is very unlikely to have the long drawn out battle patience that UPSC requires, also going for UPSC will kill your MBA prospects substantially.

I will give you my example, I chose to opt out of the MBA life and go for UPSC, because I run a company of my own and didn't go for IIM to have a paypackage, so MBA suited my needs and I didn't care about CV. Now I'm not from ABC, rather from one of the new IIMs, but it served my purpose of networking and learning corporate strategies. For a person looking for a job in corporate life however, UPSC is not a good option. Choose wisely after deliberating on the pros and cons of both.
    This profile belongs to Lord Vorminious
  • edited September 2018
    Ok thank you for your advice. Very much appreciated.
    I m actually writing under PwD category, so the chances of getting IIM ABC is bit easier for me due to relatively lower percentile cutoffs.
    However dont you feel that due to MBA degree from IIM ABC, will help me in getting a job despite having a gap of 1-2 years as I have lot of contacts working in corporate from my family side as well as my friends.
    I have worked in corporate for 1.5 years but dint find it very satisfying. So i dont think I will get drawn to corporate easily and join them. My desire is strong still.
    And wont MBA help in getting govt jobs plus I have also intention in doing PhD in case I dont clear UPSC
    Doing MBA will favourably help me in getting Fellow in IIM.
    I have seen some people doing MBA and then crack civils.
    Please let me know your opinion. I have weighed in pros and cons of both the things. Still I havent been able to make a decision for a week.

IIM and UPSC are two absolutely divergent paths, you cannot choose both. 1 year lag in MBA life is career-ending, in MBA every moment counts, every extra feather you can add to your CV through official contacts, internships, etc will make or break your stellar paypackage in CTC negotiation. A person who gets the MBA taste once is very unlikely to have the long drawn out battle patience that UPSC requires, also going for UPSC will kill your MBA prospects substantially.

I will give you my example, I chose to opt out of the MBA life and go for UPSC, because I run a company of my own and didn't go for IIM to have a paypackage, so MBA suited my needs and I didn't care about CV. Now I'm not from ABC, rather from one of the new IIMs, but it served my purpose of networking and learning corporate strategies. For a person looking for a job in corporate life however, UPSC is not a good option. Choose wisely after deliberating on the pros and cons of both.

• MBA is not at all logical if your aim is upsc . Given your category and if you are good at maths eng reasoning etc ( IIM have high percentile requirement) , wii
    Th Atmost 15days to 20 months of prep for ssc exams (cgl and others) will sail you through with a good rank , which in my opinion is a much better backup
    HUSTLE
  • MBA and UPSC are two completely different career options.

If your AIM is to become an IAS officer, give your best and prepare for the exam.

Do not look here and there just focus on what you are doing.

Find our if business administration or civil services is your true passion.

Since you are preparing for UPSC, I am sure your final destination is IAS and not IIM.

Give two-three more years to your IAS preparation and see if you can crack the UPSC exam.

You can do your MBA anytime in future but if you'll try to ride on two boats, you will go nowhere.

Once you become an IAS, you can consider joining a distance MBA course. This will complete both of your dreams. But right now focus on UPSC.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google