ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details

Confused whether to join IB ACIO or not

I have been preparing for UPSC civil services for the last 5 years. 2 mains, 1 interview, 3 prelims failed. 5 attempts exhausted but I have got 4 more as I belong to obc category. In the meanwhile, I have failed 3 rbi, 2 nabard, 1 ras as well at different levels. Now, I have been selected in IB as an acio but I am confused whether to join it. I am almost 28 and I think its about time I started working again as I left my job in March 2014 and its a long time since then. Obviously, I have failed last 2 upsc prelims consecutively and know upsc is too uncertain. But as of now, there is no other job available as well. So, should I go for this ib job?

Comments

• Keep preparing for UPSC..and as you are selected in acio they can give you extension upto one and half year..that time will be enough to help your UPSC dream and persuading your family at the same time
  • I'm in a similar situation, only difference is I'm writing mains this year but I will be joining IB, getting a 65k govt job in current situation is not a joke. Think wisely. All the best.
    | History Optional |
  • @TheFifthHorseman Dudelet me tellp from u very frankly that ACIO is not a job it is jail!!...I repeat it is jail.....This is a view from inside and that too not from a post 2 rank higher up from Intelligence Officer (Class I, Group A post) You will loose your freedom.....This is a harsh fact!
  • bro, you should join as govt jobs have reduced drastically, vacancies are reducing day by day, even ssc is stuck in a court case. UPSC, RBI, NABARD publish very few vacancies, and in these times of high unemployment, you cant really put all your eggs in this basket.
  • @TheFifthHorseman Dudelet me tellp from u very frankly that ACIO is not a job it is jail!!...I repeat it is jail.....This is a view from inside and that too not from a post 2 rank higher up from Intelligence Officer (Class I, Group A post) You will loose your freedom.....This is a harsh fact!

kaise jail? thoda explain karo bhai.

+1...been there, seen that and left.
  • There is a reason why attrition rate is too high....beware!!!
    Zindagi badi mast hai
  • Adyar said:

@TheFifthHorseman Dudelet me tellp from u very frankly that ACIO is not a job it is jail!!...I repeat it is jail.....This is a view from inside and that too not from a post 2 rank higher up from Intelligence Officer (Class I, Group A post) You will loose your freedom.....This is a harsh fact!

If they are allowing you to leave that easily, it is no jail at all. I think it depends on the aptitude/inclination of the person. Many would say the same about a Bank PO. According to me, people should give relevant details about what they particularly disliked in the service, and leave the rest on the individual. Such extreme views with no elaboration serve no good.
  • Experiences vary from person to person. But as far as job is concerned it is very good.

No work related stress

Timely promotions

Mostly good seniors and coworkers

Also a good civil services culture inside organisation

As far as jail like conditions are concerned. You'll have some restrictions like those on armed forces members regarding social media usage. Being an intelligence agency these restrictions are for obvious reasons. But sometimes they feel a bit overwhelming. Also there is a background check every few years which is bit of a headache but not much of an issue

One more thing, your first posting will mist probably be a border state like Arunachal. But the good thing is that you'll only be effectively working 3hrs a day there but yes, you'll feel isolated there.

Overall it is a good organisation
    Prelims- 3
    Mains- 2
    Interview- 0
  • HaoNaBe said:

Experiences vary from person to person. But as far as job is concerned it is very good.

No work related stress

Timely promotions

As far as jail like conditions are concerned. You'll have some restrictions like those on armed forces members regarding social media usage. Being an intelligence agency these restrictions are for obvious reasons. But sometimes they feel a bit overwhelming. Also there is a background check every few years which is bit of a headache but not much of an issue

One more thing, your first posting will mist probably be a border state like Arunachal. But the good thing is that you'll only be effectively working 3hrs a day there but yes, you'll feel isolated there.

First hand experience? If not then source?
  • As far as attrition rate is concerned. It also happens because of variety of reasons.

1. Most people who do clear ACIO exam are smart enough to clear other exams. Lot of people clear RBI, NABARD, State PSC etc and leave.

2. Perception of it being a dangerous job. Most people who are alloted hard areas, like border areas, after training leave immediately. It is either because of the location or because of the perception that their life will be in danger there. Mostly if you listen to your seniors you'll be fine. And as mentioned above in peaceful border areas work is very less.

3. Lack of power- Compared to Inspector posts in CGL, ACIO does not have power over common man.

4. Recognition- Most people do not have much idea about what IB is and what the job entails, and a lot of time goes in explaining to people about what you do. The job is so diverse that unless you do it it's very difficult to explain.
    Prelims- 3
    Mains- 2
    Interview- 0
  • HaoNaBe said:

Experiences vary from person to person. But as far as job is concerned it is very good.

No work related stress

Timely promotions

Yes and No.

My father worked there for 30+ yrs
    Prelims- 3
    Mains- 2
    Interview- 0
  • Adyar said:

@TheFifthHorseman Dudelet me tellp from u very frankly that ACIO is not a job it is jail!!...I repeat it is jail.....This is a view from inside and that too not from a post 2 rank higher up from Intelligence Officer (Class I, Group A post) You will loose your freedom.....This is a harsh fact!

If they are allowing you to leave that easily, it is no jail at all. I think it depends on the aptitude/inclination of the person. Many would say the same about a Bank PO. According to me, people should give relevant details about what they particularly disliked in the service, and leave the rest on the individual. Such extreme views with no elaboration serve no good.
    Dont conpare itvwith bank po. Bank po has only disadvantages for a civil services aspirant. Whereas in ib acio afyer training he gets sufficient time for studies.
    People from metros despise this job because you have to live in isolated areas . But work load is mininal most of the time.bank main rail lag jaati hain.
    Isloation is a boon for soneone who want to study further. And with internet there is no oroblem of getting isloated in real sense
  • edited September 11
    m.
    In times of universal deceit,telling the truth is a revolutionary act!
  • HaoNaBe said:

HaoNaBe said:

No work related stress

Timely promotions

Yes and No.

My father worked there for 30+ yrs
    Very relevant insights. Heard similar experiences from the ACIO who came for my verification (I got selected this year too). That is why I doubted the above comments which put the organization in negative light (I don't have any problem with their perception, only that their comments lacked necessary facts to substantiate it)

Salute to your father, btw.
  • dpagarwal said:

Adyar said:

Dont conpare itvwith bank po. Bank po has only disadvantages for a civil services aspirant. Whereas in ib acio afyer training he gets sufficient time for studies.
    People from metros despise this job because you have to live in isolated areas . But work load is mininal most of the time.bank main rail lag jaati hain.
    Isloation is a boon for soneone who want to study further. And with internet there is no oroblem of getting isloated in real sense
    Sir, my intention was not to compare it with any other services (sorry if it came out otherwise), rather highlight the fact that perception about a job will vary according to one's interests and aptitude. Some would find ACIO adventurous, other dangerous. Some would find bank job exhausting/repetitive other would be happy to raise their family in metros (not always).

Other than that, I totally second your views.
  • Yes, You should join.
  • I have been preparing for UPSC civil services for the last 5 years. 2 mains, 1 interview, 3 prelims failed. 5 attempts exhausted but I have got 4 more as I belong to obc category. In the meanwhile, I have failed 3 rbi, 2 nabard, 1 ras as well at different levels. Now, I have been selected in IB as an acio but I am confused whether to join it. I am almost 28 and I think its about time I started working again as I left my job in March 2014 and its a long time since then. Obviously, I have failed last 2 upsc prelims consecutively and know upsc is too uncertain. But as of now, there is no other job available as well. So, should I go for this ib job?

I'd kill to get this job.
  • Golden advise : Don't listen to what people advice on forum . @TheFifthHorseman
    I hope you have joined our IB telegram group. You would have realized the reality of the job by now if you are on it.
    | History Optional |
  • Ant_Man said:

Golden advise : Don't listen to what people advice on forum . @TheFifthHorseman
    I hope you have joined our IB telegram group. You would have realized the reality of the job by now if you are on it.

Okay bhai. :)

Thanks to all for their valuable insights.
  • @TheFifthHorseman @Ant_Man have you people got the joining letter? If yes, have you applied for extension?
  • @TheFifthHorseman @Ant_Man have you people got the joining letter? If yes, have you applied for extension?

I have got mine but not applying for extension coz i have no mains. Are you appearing in cse mains? Did you get yours?

@TheFifthHorseman @Ant_Man have you people got the joining letter? If yes, have you applied for extension?

I have got mine but not applying for extension coz i have no mains. Are you appearing in cse mains? Did you get yours?
    No I have not received my JL, one of my friend who is writing mains did receive it. He submitted extension request along with hall ticket, he is awaiting a response from them.
    | History Optional |

Appearing in Forest Mains. Haven't received the joining letter yet.
    Do share your Training experience whenever you get time.ATB.
  • edited September 13
    @TheFifthHorseman Some facts about me: I worked in ITBP as Assiatnt Commandant before resigning alongwith 3 of my batchmates. Prior to that I gave 4 SSBs for Army and made freindship with a guy who is still one of my good friend and is Intelligence officer(Class I, Group A).

I am writing about me because to tell you I was super motivated to join Indian Army and had a very positive outlook towards Defence forces in general, But these 2 experinces one of joining ITBP and second of my freind's experince as Intelligence officer (who do not prefer to talk about his job on phone as in all probability it is tapped!) and served in places like Andaman, Madurai etc, that perhaps made me averse to such jobs. My freind says it is very suffocating to work here, I have 2 ids one internal and other for outside and even if police catches me I cannot show the other "internal" id and my identity to outside world is that I am a MHA officer.

Now regarding ACIO, which I guess is sub-inspector or inspector rank officer and way below a Class I officer, situation might be even worse. I presume you are preparing for civils and have age and attempt left. I will not advise you to leave this ACIO job but consider it as the last option and try everything, with all your energies to find some other job. View for inside, even if you get time, as my friends in ITBP placed in remote areas of Arunachal, Laddakh etc gets(practically only1-2 hours of work, rest free) is not of much use because of harsh environmental condition (temp, low oxygen etc) compounded my general demotivation amongst cadre.

For more : https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-job-profile-of-an-Assistant-Central-Intelligence-Officer-ACIO-in-the-Intelligence-Bureau-IB-of-India-Is-this-job-meaningful-enough-to-have-satisfaction-at-the-end-of-the-day

Bottomline: ACIO job may be temporray stop but can't be a life long thing. Try and work hard to find something better.

Appearing in Forest Mains. Haven't received the joining letter yet.
    Do share your Training experience whenever you get time.ATB.
    All the best for forest mains.
    Yes I will.
  • Thanks to all for their valuable insights...

@root @Neyawn Please close this discussion thread now.
  • @TheFifthHorseman Some facts about me: I worked in ITBP as Assiatnt Commandant before resigning alongwith 3 of my batchmates. Prior to that I gave 4 SSBs for Army and made freindship with a guy who is still one of my good friend and is Intelligence officer(Class I, Group A).

I am writing about me because to tell you I was super motivated to join Indian Army and had a very positive outlook towards Defence forces in general, But these 2 experinces one of joining ITBP and second of my freind's experince as Intelligence officer (who do not prefer to talk about his job on phone as in all probability it is tapped!) and served in places like Andaman, Madurai etc, that perhaps made me averse to such jobs. My freind says it is very suffocating to work here, I have 2 ids one internal and other for outside and even if police catches me I cannot show the other "internal" id and my identity to outside world is that I am a MHA officer.

Now regarding ACIO, which I guess is sub-inspector or inspector rank officer and way below a Class I officer, situation might be even worse. I presume you are preparing for civils and have age and attempt left. I will not advise you to leave this ACIO job but consider it as the last option and try everything, with all your energies to find some other job. View for inside, even if you get time, as my friends in ITBP placed in remote areas of Arunachal, Laddakh etc gets(practically only1-2 hours of work, rest free) is not of much use because of harsh environmental condition (temp, low oxygen etc) compounded my general demotivation amongst cadre.

For more : https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-job-profile-of-an-Assistant-Central-Intelligence-Officer-ACIO-in-the-Intelligence-Bureau-IB-of-India-Is-this-job-meaningful-enough-to-have-satisfaction-at-the-end-of-the-day

Bottomline: ACIO job may be temporray stop but can't be a life long thing. Try and work hard to find something better.

Bhai..don't stress too much. No one listens to anyone and do as per their situation which we might not be aware of..I too didnt pay heed to anyone's advice. let them join and see themselves.
  • Adyar said:

@TheFifthHorseman Some facts about me: I worked in ITBP as Assiatnt Commandant before resigning alongwith 3 of my batchmates. Prior to that I gave 4 SSBs for Army and made freindship with a guy who is still one of my good friend and is Intelligence officer(Class I, Group A).

Bhai..don't stress too much. No one listens to anyone and do as per their situation which we might not be aware of..I too didnt pay heed to anyone's advice. let them join and see themselves.
    Ye sahi kaha. Mujhe bhi bank join karne se pehle logo ne mana kiya tha. Lekin maine join kiya aur phir pachtaya .
  • edited September 13
    dpagarwal said:

Adyar said:

Ye sahi kaha. Mujhe bhi bank join karne se pehle logo ne mana kiya tha. Lekin maine join kiya aur phir pachtaya .
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog