Indian Forest Service 2018 Results are out! ForumIAS Academy Students Secure Rank 1, 2, 3 ! Congratulations to all!
Current Affairs Classes for IAS Interview Students 2018 ForumIAS will be holding Current Affairs Classes for Interview Students on Saturday and Sunday at 5PM, Feb 9 & 10.

How to explain long gap years in PO interview?

Hi friends,

A few months ago, following the final result of CSE-2017, I had made a post, detailing how I had miserably failed over and over, and had exhausted all my attempts. A few of you had advised me to prepare for Bank PO, which I had already been appearing for unsuccessfully. However, this time I have managed to get into the Interview rounds of both SBI, and BoB PO.

My biggest concern going into the interview is to explain a gap of nearly a decade from 2010 to 2018. During this period I did not do any jobs, apart from giving a few tuitions, that too only in the last two years, and I even stopped doing that, as I was quite heartbroken by repeated failure.

I have wasted almost 10 years and have nothing tangible to show for it. I am a different person, for the better I suppose, but that's about it. How do I properly answer when this question is brought up, and it certainly will be.

Comments

• parichit said:

Hi friends,

A few months ago, following the final result of CSE-2017, I had made a post, detailing how I had miserably failed over and over, and had exhausted all my attempts. A few of you had advised me to prepare for Bank PO, which I had already been appearing for unsuccessfully. However, this time I have managed to get into the Interview rounds of both SBI, and BoB PO.

My biggest concern going into the interview is to explain a gap of nearly a decade from 2010 to 2018. During this period I did not do any jobs, apart from giving a few tuitions, that too only in the last two years, and I even stopped doing that, as I was quite heartbroken by repeated failure.

I have wasted almost 10 years and have nothing tangible to show for it. I am a different person, for the better I suppose, but that's about it. How do I properly answer when this question is brought up, and it certainly will be.

• edited August 2018
    Just say the truth...you were preparing for civils..unfortunately couldn't make it..but i learned a lot of things which I would't have if I has not taken the plunge. I will bring the same passion and dedication to the organization as I displayed during my civil prep..
    They might ask you your opinion on national or int issue since you have been an aspirant so please answer that well..
  • parichit said:

Hi friends,

Bhai sach bol dena that you have exhausted all cse attempts . They will be glad to get you in since young candidates are not staying in bank for long .
  • edited August 2018
    parichit said:

Hi friends,

I'm a graduate of 2010 myself. I logged in as I genuinely wanted to help.

I'll be honest with you. DO NOT TELL THEM THE TRUTH. TELL THEM WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR.
    This is the secret of successful conversations in asymmetric situations. And that's what I did for my CSE Interview this time around. I boosted my rank by interview score only. My mains score wouldn't have got me anywhere.

They don't give two cent about abstract things like how good person you are or how much you know or what are your credentials. They have seen tens of guys that day before you and probably will see tens after you.
    Remember this carefully. They want their ego satisfied by a guy who can intellectually threaten them at the same time. . No one will tell you this. That was philosophical aspect of such interviews.

You tell them that you were working with a NGO or was helping in family business. I used the NGO thing in my civil services interview. Worked very well.

And practice your story over and over like you are living it. Go into that character for a few days. Make up a realistic scenario about family business if you want to go with that. Or research about a NGO.
    I chose SEWA and researched like hell on it. I'm currently in Delhi and don't have that material. If you'll insist, I'll arrange it and PM you. It may take time.

This interview is very important for you coz age limits for various exams must be betraying you now. Many people here have asked you to be honest. It may or may not impress some. Better prepare a scenario which impresses one and all and get you through with good marks.

All the best...
    2013, 2014 - Mains*
    2015 - Interview*
    2016 - IRS (C&CE)
    2017 - IPS
    2018 - Prelims, Mains, Personality Test*
  • parichit said:

Hi friends,

I'll be honest with you. DO NOT TELL THEM THE TRUTH. TELL THEM WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR.
    This is the secret of successful conversations in asymmetric situations. And that's what I did for my CSE Interview this time around. I boosted my rank by interview score only. My mains score wouldn't have got me anywhere.

They don't give two cent about abstract things like how good person you are or how much you know or what are your credentials. They have seen tens of guys that day before you and probably will see tens after you.
    Remember this carefully. They want their ego satisfied by a guy who can intellectually threaten them at the same time. . No one will tell you this. That was philosophical aspect of such interviews.

You tell them that you were working with a NGO or was helping in family business. I used the NGO thing in my civil services interview. Worked very well.

And practice your story over and over like you are living it. Go into that character for a few days. Make up a realistic scenario about family business if you want to go with that. Or research about a NGO.
    I chose SEWA and researched like hell on it. I'm currently in Delhi and don't have that material. If you'll insist, I'll arrange it and PM you. It may take time.

This interview is very important for you coz age limits for various exams must be betraying you now. Many people here have asked you to be honest. It may or may not impress some. Better prepare a scenario which impresses one and all and get you through with good marks.

All the best...
    Great post sir. :)
  • parichit said:

Hi friends,

All the best...
    That's some Hannibal stuff sir... Shrewd and insightful...
    Great guidance... :smile:
    Hibernating for one month... Sweet autumn... Guardians of the Galaxy will be back... ;)
  • parichit said:

Hi friends,

All the best...
    Sir did you mentioned it in your daf
    You wouldn't like me when i'm angry Because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources. |Philosophy|
  • Tell them that you are a 'content developer' in Ias coaching institute since 3-4 years but the job is not stable so I tried for bank job.

They will ask, how much you earn monthly?? Tell them 20-25k, it depends on work. Remember as a bank po you will get 40k so anything less than that satisfy them that you will stick in bank as you will get more salary there.

Tell them you have exhausted all your attempt and want to get settle down in life, and you prefer banking job after civil service beacuse it has public dealing which you always wanted to do.

Its very good that you have given unsuccesful attempt for bank job before, it will give very positive impression.. tell them i have tried for banking before also but could not get selected..this time i focused more on this because i really want this job.

By saying this.. believe me they have no idea at all what specialy content developer do.. so it will have many benefit.. they will ask you very simple question of current issue.. which will be cakewalk for you.

It is tried and tested.. I had never worked as a content developer, i just knew what are their work and how they get paid like per ques 500-800, like that.. only one question was asked to me.. what india should utilise its demographic dividened? I got very good marks in interview without having any banking knowledge.

In interview, they only want to check two things :
    1) whether you are qualified enough to do bank job, qualified in sense that having good knowledge base, else everyone appearing in interview is graduate.
    2) whether you will stick to bank job in long run or not... this is very important.. in every question they want to know this.

All the best.
  • parichit said:

Hi friends,

All the best...
    what if they ask for proofs? can you justify a lie in such a situation? Why not just be a bit honest and straightforward. One who has been preparing for civil services for a decade has to be more knowledgeable that the rest of his peers. That should improve the chances of getting selected anyways.
    The truth is all I seek...
  • AutoGlobe said:

Tell them that you are a 'content developer' in Ias coaching institute since 3-4 years but the job is not stable so I tried for bank job.

They will ask, how much you earn monthly?? Tell them 20-25k, it depends on work. Remember as a bank po you will get 40k so anything less than that satisfy them that you will stick in bank as you will get more salary there.

Tell them you have exhausted all your attempt and want to get settle down in life, and you prefer banking job after civil service beacuse it has public dealing which you always wanted to do.

Its very good that you have given unsuccesful attempt for bank job before, it will give very positive impression.. tell them i have tried for banking before also but could not get selected..this time i focused more on this because i really want this job.

By saying this.. believe me they have no idea at all what specialy content developer do.. so it will have many benefit.. they will ask you very simple question of current issue.. which will be cakewalk for you.

It is tried and tested.. I had never worked as a content developer, i just knew what are their work and how they get paid like per ques 500-800, like that.. only one question was asked to me.. what india should utilise its demographic dividened? I got very good marks in interview without having any banking knowledge.

In interview, they only want to check two things :
    1) whether you are qualified enough to do bank job, qualified in sense that having good knowledge base, else everyone appearing in interview is graduate.
    2) whether you will stick to bank job in long run or not... this is very important.. in every question they want to know this.

All the best.

+1

IASmocks.com - A Game Changer For Prelims 2019.
  • edited September 2018

parichit said:

Hi friends,

All the best...
    what if they ask for proofs? can you justify a lie in such a situation? Why not just be a bit honest and straightforward. One who has been preparing for civil services for a decade has to be more knowledgeable that the rest of his peers. That should improve the chances of getting selected anyways.
    I'm not expert on interviews but I cracked both placement interviews I gave in final year... No one asks proofs for anything in an interview setting... be realistic sir... :lol:
    There's that quote from Breaking Bad, 'People love listening to lies, especially when they know the truth' ... :lol:
    Hibernating for one month... Sweet autumn... Guardians of the Galaxy will be back... ;)
  • parichit said:

Hi friends,

All the best...
    I'm not expert on interviews but I cracked both placement interviews I gave in final year... No one asks proofs for anything in an interview setting... be realistic sir... :lol:
    There's that quote from Breaking Bad, 'People love listening to lies, especially when they know the truth' ... :lol:
    One needs to fill in such info when one fills the form i guess. like in daf, you need to fill in your experience. how will you fudge that?
    The truth is all I seek...
  • parichit said:

Hi friends,

All the best...
    One needs to fill in such info when one fills the form i guess. like in daf, you need to fill in your experience. how will you fudge that?
    Agreed...
  • Thanks for all the replies. I didn't fill any experience while filling the form, so I cannot claim to have worked for an actual organised employer.
  • Hi..bhai i also have a gap and can help you decide a little.

I appeared for both SBI and IBPS interview last year. and i told them the truth about my upsc preparation.

It went well in IBPS where i was awarded a good score while in SBI i was penalised and score just above minimum interview score. So a lot depends upon the interview panel how they go with it.

But you are telling them something else, then make sure you are able to answer any kind of counter question related to that.

I wish you all the best and hope you will perform well in your interview.

• Never tell the truth in your case in my opinion.Banks wan't a person who will not leave their job and will work as an active resource.They don't want a person who is/was preparing for other exams and will leave their job as the attrition rate is pretty high in banks.As someone said earlier "tell them what they wan't to hear".Movie dialogues won't help in this situation as this is reality and in reality lakhs of candidates are fighting for the same post.If they ask you about the career gap,tell them you were trying for bank po since 2012 but couldn't convert your score into the merit list.For eg sometimes you couldn't clear the written exam ,sometimes you fell sick during the date of exam,sometimes you had some other work during the date of exam and blah blah.Since then you were giving private tuitions and tuitions doesn't require any experience certificate to be presented during the interview but choose a subject you have a good command for which you were giving those tuitions and prepare your banking basics pretty well for the interview.
    ATB
    PS- i am working in a PSU Bank and this is my personal opinion,others may differ.
  • parichit said:

Hi friends,

• Hi, just to end the discussion, I ended up telling straight truth. No fake experience or lies. I have been selected this year in SBI PO. So I guess it worked for my panel. Thanks for the support.
  • parichit said:

Hi, just to end the discussion, I ended up telling straight truth. No fake experience or lies. I have been selected this year in SBI PO. So I guess it worked for my panel. Thanks for the support.

It had to work.

Congrats!
  • parichit said:

Hi, just to end the discussion, I ended up telling straight truth. No fake experience or lies. I have been selected this year in SBI PO. So I guess it worked for my panel. Thanks for the support.

Congratulations..
  • parichit said:

All is well that ends well

Pre- 6* , Mains - 4* , Interview- 3 *( 2013, 2016, 2018)
  • parichit said:

Thanks for writing back. I was also feeling worried about this gap thing. I suppose its more common than we want to admit.

Many congratulations on your selection!
  • parichit said:

Hi friends,

All the best...
    The first paragraph is something I completely agreed with
Sign In or Join to comment.

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google