MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

2019 CSE FOR WORKING ASPIRANTS- GATHER HERE FOR THE COLLECTIVE MORAL BOOST

It's tough to stay motivated and energetic while working and preparing simultaneously. I would be happy to know about others who are able to manage atleast newspaper reading, and study for next 3 hours in weekdays. I want people to post their study hours targets here and give a thumbs up to the comment and a pat to themselves when they are able to achieve it.

It will be nice if we mention our job timings and the field in which we are, just to build a rapport among ourselves for the 2019 journey.

We can also add some true motivational stories of people who have achieved this feat while working. If you have any other ideas, please share it here, and let this thread remain a motivation for every lower middle class aspirant- who has none other option than working and preparing simultaneously,

Comments

• By the way I am a bank PO, almost to complete 2 years in this sector.
  • For 13th July- My target is 3 hours!
  • @The_Big_Buddha Bhai
    I have worked as a Bank PO and Scale-II for
    6-7 years. Quit banking in 2016 and joined some other job.
    Bhai, forget preparation life itself is a hell as a banker.
    I wish u would at least complete The Hindu daily(i hardly could do it)..
    But I salute that u have the courage to prepare for Civils while being in it.
    Atb..
  • edited July 12
    I am bank officer. 2 yrs 7 month job. Missed ukpcs 2012 final merit list by 17 marks. Because of this job gave hindi paper with 0 preparation. Got just 106/300. This paper made all the difderence. I leave my room at 8:05 am. Come back at 8:30 on normal days. Focussing on state pcs for a year or 2. No upsc till in this job. . Gave 2 attempt with job. Missed prelims by 1 mark in 2016. And by 3 marks in 2017. On the verge of resigning.
    At present i start studying at 9 pm on normal days. Justbrevisiong gs for pcs prelims. Have stopped reading newspaper. Just look headlines. And later read current affairs magazines. Will give upsc 2019 if I resign.
  • dpagarwal said:

I am bank officer. 2 yrs 7 month job. Missed ukpcs 2012 final merit list by 17 marks. Because of this job gave hindi paper with 0 preparation. Got just 106/300. This paper made all the difderence. I leave my room at 8:05 am. Come back at 8:30 on normal days. Focussing on state pcs for a year or 2. No upsc till in this job. . Gave 2 attempt with job. Missed prelims by 1 mark in 2016. And by 3 marks in 2017. On the verge of resigning.
    At present i start studying at 9 pm on normal days. Justbrevisiong gs for pcs prelims. Have stopped reading newspaper. Just look headlines. And later read current affairs magazines. Will give upsc 2019 if I resign.

@dpagarwal
    Dude, I think we have interacted earlier also.
    I would however not advise you to resign from the current job until u get a new one, may be even with lesser salary.
    Try to get a 10-5 job and then go for civils completely.(if in case u get into pcs before upsc preperation it would be excellent though).
  • Private job. I manage to read Hindu atleast during office hours. And with a bit of efforts another few hours after office. But i am unable to keep the momentum i keep falling off every now n then.
    Reshami si maaya thi,
    Aur main takata jaata tha.
  • We can do if we wish. Also depends on the timings of the job and proper planning of leaves. My time is 10 to 6.30, and I live nearby the branch in Chennai. So I know I can with proper study for full year. I have joined IASBABA ILP 2019 for the continuity.
  • Tomorrow is Sunday, I'll try to study for at least 8 hours from my stopwatch.

All the best.
    Reshami si maaya thi,
    Aur main takata jaata tha.
  • Tonight's target 4 hours before sleep
    Inspector (Central Excise)
  • Hello friends... Iam out in 2018, was getting between 94 to 99. Was 6 th attempt. 119 in last prelims. Wrote last mains.... I am OBC, but never wanted to use it. I don't know whether I should appear for future attempts or not. Just give some rays of hope guys. What should I do? I am already 32. Am married, have a kid. Am working in a psu with Decent salary but never loved the job... Venting out here... This exam has taken away a good amount of quality time of mine and my family... I am really thinking now was it worth....please give some rays of hope and suggestions friends.
  • perky said:

Tonight's target 4 hours before sleep

Make a comment if you do it!
  • maddysh said:

Hello friends... Iam out in 2018, was getting between 94 to 99. Was 6 th attempt. 119 in last prelims. Wrote last mains.... I am OBC, but never wanted to use it. I don't know whether I should appear for future attempts or not. Just give some rays of hope guys. What should I do? I am already 32. Am married, have a kid. Am working in a psu with Decent salary but never loved the job... Venting out here... This exam has taken away a good amount of quality time of mine and my family... I am really thinking now was it worth....please give some rays of hope and suggestions friends.

Plan your year, and see if you have enough time and dedication for this exam, as you are having extra commitments.
    BTW one thing I am sure that you will appear until your attempts are exhausted :wink: So win-win situation is to prepare for next attempt and write a success story for other aspirants to follow!
  • My suggestion is to join some library nearby, it is very effective for long hours of study, esp. when our motivational level is lower. I have taken permission to use library in a college for weekends.

If anyone has any suggestion, please don't hesitate to share!!!
  • Utsav said:

perky said:

Tonight's target 4 hours before sleep

Make a comment if you do it!
    Could manage only 2.5 hours :|
  • Tomorrow's target 10 ....
  • I am preparing for cse 2019 amidst many responsibilities. Being a govt employee my job takes away almost 13 hours a day including the time required for commuting. Moreover I am mother to a six months old baby. I know the journey is going to be difficult but don't want to give up without trying .
  • My target today a brief history of modern India chapters 1-3.
  • maddysh said:

Hello friends... Iam out in 2018, was getting between 94 to 99. Was 6 th attempt. 119 in last prelims. Wrote last mains.... I am OBC, but never wanted to use it. I don't know whether I should appear for future attempts or not. Just give some rays of hope guys. What should I do? I am already 32. Am married, have a kid. Am working in a psu with Decent salary but never loved the job... Venting out here... This exam has taken away a good amount of quality time of mine and my family... I am really thinking now was it worth....please give some rays of hope and suggestions friends.

Forest de do bhai..
    B.Tech, UPSC 2019,
    Optional- Sociology
  • I am preparing for cse 2019 amidst many responsibilities. Being a govt employee my job takes away almost 13 hours a day including the time required for commuting. Moreover I am mother to a six months old baby. I know the journey is going to be difficult but don't want to give up without trying .

Salute Ma'am!

All the best

you're an inspiration. atb
    An act of stealth, a silent coup d'état
  • ann said:

I am preparing for cse 2019 amidst many responsibilities. Being a govt employee my job takes away almost 13 hours a day including the time required for commuting. Moreover I am mother to a six months old baby. I know the journey is going to be difficult but don't want to give up without trying .

you're an inspiration. atb
    Ma'am, who in the profile picture?
    ecosia.org
  • Try to live near your office even if it costs more, don't waste more than 10 minutes on commute. Get someone else to do your daily chores. Read newspaper in office and if possible take a nap in office.
    The world is filled with amazing things you'll probably never notice if you keep staring at your GODDAMN PHONE.
  • edited July 15
    I am thinking of resigning from my job. Because of this job and the related baggage, I failed UPSC Pre 2018. I have given main of 2016 and 2017. It was my 6th attempt but my heart says not to leave my dream of being an IAS officer. I will give 2019 Pre with full preparation at any cost.
  • Nirvyom said:

I am thinking of resigning from my job. Because of this job and the related baggage, I failed UPSC Pre 2018. I have given main of 2016 and 2017. It was my 6th attempt but my heart says not to leave my dream of being an IAS officer. I will give 2019 Pre with full preparation at any cost.

No Risk No Gain!!
  • Hi guys. Im a bank po too..i gave prelim this yr flunked tho....now i dont have the courage to give another attempt..this was my 3rd...now im joining on the 23rd....but i desperately wa t to quit banking....i became a banker by accident anyway..what are the avenues for me?!

5 Hours using Stopwatch :(
    But I'll get into habit.
    16 July- Min 4 hrs
  • edited July 15
    hopeful said:

Hi guys. Im a bank po too..i gave prelim this yr flunked tho....now i dont have the courage to give another attempt..this was my 3rd...now im joining on the 23rd....but i desperately wa t to quit banking....i became a banker by accident anyway..what are the avenues for me?!

Which Bank? Sometimes promotion from Scale 1 to Scale 2 depends on the particular bank also. Anyways, if you can clear JAIIB & CAIIB asap, promotion will be faster. Post 5 yrs of working you can go for Exec MBA. Also if you work in an excellent way and you're ready for movement from one city to other, you'll get promotions easily. In 10 yrs you can become Scale 4, & if you work diligently you can go upto the GM post in your 50s. However, this is only possible if in your work-life balance is tilted more towards work.

Meanwhile you should try for RBI Grade B this time.
  • perky said:

Tomorrow's target 10 ....

How much bro?
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog